52 Pickup - Which #1 will you be buying?

No just stupid. I'm going to wait an extra month now to read my ****. Way to go, DC. Their digital sales are going to be all kinds of inaccurate to how well it really is/could be because of that. I wanted to only get 3 books in print out of my list of like 15.
...yeah, I'm sure they've taken that into account.

It makes plenty of sense. Tons of Entertainment and Electronics products drop in price after they've been out a while. Why wouldn't comics be the same?

...yeah, I'm sure they've taken that into account.

It makes plenty of sense. Tons of Entertainment and Electronics products drop in price after they've been out a while. Why wouldn't comics be the same?

Because the appeal of digital was that it was a dollar cheaper. A dollar cheaper but having to wait a month just sucks.

Yes, for us.

For DC, it's a different story. Part of the reason they stated for waiting a month to drop the price, was to support local comic book shops. They didn't want to create a market where readers would swarm to the cheaper digital comics and leave their LCS out to dry.

The month long wait is a very fair compromise for people like us - who want a cheaper, digital alternative - and the comic book retailers who want to, yknow, survive. Personally, I'm fine with that. My impatience isn't worth seeing LCS wither and die even faster than they already are.

Not to mention, by dropping the price after a month, DC is already showing more courtesy to us - the readers - than Marvel has; Ultimate Captain America #1 came out like 9 months ago, but if you go on Comixology, it's still priced at $3.99. So it could be worse.

Just picked up Justice League today. It was “ok.”

Others on my list to try out:
The Dark Knight
Superman
Grifter
Green Lantern
Green Arrow
Aquaman
Savage Hawkman

Maybe:
Captain Atom
Stormwatch

I preordered all of the #1's and #2's. After having read all those I'm going to cannibalize everything that I wasn't interested when originally going into it and hasn't been able to grab my attention since.

I can't do digital though.

One of the reasons it's taken me 10 years to start buying comics despite my love of superheroes is because I'm a little OCD about collecting stuff and I don't want to start from issue #673 I'd much rather start at #1, that OCD also extends to wanting to hold things that I own.

Damnit, now I'm also picking up Detective Comics #1. And to satisfy my own OCD urges, I'll probably pick up Batman & Robin #1 as well so I'm getting an even number of books, 22 instead of 21.

The only titles I am definitely buying at least the first few issues to see if they're any good are as follows: Superman, Action Comics, Justice League, Aquaman, Batman, Batman & Robin, and Nightwing.

(If Bane, the Parasite, Mongul, or Metallo pop up anywhere, I'll buy it in a second and then probably b**ch about their s**tty characterizations).

Books that I haven't decided on, but am considering: Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Superboy, and All Star Western.

Man... this is making planning out my buy list (for budgeting reasons) very difficult!!! I have something like 15 comics that I just don't know if I'm buying or not.

What ones can't you decide whether to buy or not 'Hobbit

The only titles I am definitely buying at least the first few issues to see if they're any good are as follows: Superman, Action Comics, Justice League, Aquaman, Batman, Batman & Robin, and Nightwing.

(If Bane, the Parasite, Mongul, or Metallo pop up anywhere, I'll buy it in a second and then probably b**ch about their s**tty characterizations).

Books that I haven't decided on, but am considering: Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Superboy, and All Star Western.
Pick wonder woman, from what i heard it's going to be the best of the 52 or in least a very good book.
I decided that i was going to pick that one too because of fans, because i want to get into wonder woman comics, and because it had a great review.
I'm also considering trying aquaman as i would like to see what exactly makes fans like him so much

What ones can't you decide whether to buy or not 'Hobbit

Definately getting
Justice League
Batman
Batman & Robin
Batwoman.

Most Likely Getting
Nightwing
Green Lantern
Swamp Thing
Justice League Dark

Going back and forth on
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: New Guardians
Red Lanterns
Justice League International
Batgirl
DC Comics Presents (at least for the Deadman story)

Need to skim to decide anything
Action Comics
Stormwatch
Green Arrow
Grifter
Deathstroke
Detective Comics
The Dark Knight
Teen Titans

My problem is that I can't afford half of these that I'm interested in so I really need to skim ALL of them and study upcoming solicits to decide what I'm doing. It's annoying, but then, I've almost never been interested in DC like this so that's a good thing :up:

I'll be getting Batman Inc when that comes back out, so there's that. I currently buy all the Green Lantern titles and have since Rebirth so it's hard to question that one but I've been very bored with them since Blackest Night ended and now they're added yet another Lantern title and if they're anything like they were during Brightest Day they'll crossover plots and crap and I'd rather drop them all instead of pick and choose between them... but I like so many of the characters :(

Definately getting
Justice League
Batman
Batman & Robin
Batwoman.

Most Likely Getting
Nightwing
Green Lantern
Swamp Thing
Justice League Dark

Going back and forth on
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: New Guardians
Red Lanterns
Justice League International
Batgirl
DC Comics Presents (at least for the Deadman story)

Need to skim to decide anything
Action Comics
Stormwatch
Green Arrow
Grifter
Deathstroke
Detective Comics
The Dark Knight
Teen Titans

My problem is that I can't afford half of these that I'm interested in so I really need to skim ALL of them and study upcoming solicits to decide what I'm doing. It's annoying, but then, I've almost never been interested in DC like this so that's a good thing :up:

I'll be getting Batman Inc when that comes back out, so there's that. I currently buy all the Green Lantern titles and have since Rebirth so it's hard to question that one but I've been very bored with them since Blackest Night ended and now they're added yet another Lantern title and if they're anything like they were during Brightest Day they'll crossover plots and crap and I'd rather drop them all instead of pick and choose between them... but I like so many of the characters :(

This might be something you guys can help me with, these comics cost what $4 and come out once a month right???

I see a lot of people talking about pricing and what not and obviously some people are in different economic scenarios than others but to me this entire list is only $92 a month which is like $23 a week.

Do Americans have less disposable income than Australians?

This might be something you guys can help me with, these comics cost what $4 and come out once a month right???

I see a lot of people talking about pricing and what not and obviously some people are in different economic scenarios than others but to me this entire list is only $92 a month which is like $23 a week.

They're actually $3 per issue save Action Comics and Justice League, which are $4... but every household income is different. Personally, we budget for me to spend $100 a month on comics. My wife says I can spend more, like $120 but it straps us and I honestly just don't like spending that much in a month. I'm actually trying to get my buy list down to $75 or so, but that's just me.

My problem is that I also buy just about everything X-Men and Marvel's been bringing half of those out twice a month lately. Add those to the other 7 or 8 Marvel books I get a month and then all these X-Men and it's just WAY beyond my budget.

If I were single it'd be different and I could sway my paycheck here and there. With a wife and two daughters I need to be smart about my spending and comics aren't exactly a necessity.

They're actually $3 per issue save Action Comics and Justice League, which are $4... but every household income is different. Personally, we budget for me to spend $100 a month on comics. My wife says I can spend more, like $120 but it straps us and I honestly just don't like spending that much in a month. I'm actually trying to get my buy list down to $75 or so, but that's just me.

My problem is that I also buy just about everything X-Men and Marvel's been bringing half of those out twice a month lately. Add those to the other 7 or 8 Marvel books I get a month and then all these X-Men and it's just WAY beyond my budget.

If I were single it'd be different and I could sway my paycheck here and there. With a wife and two daughters I need to be smart about my spending and comics aren't exactly a necessity.

AHHHHHH $3 Damn you Australia, your dollar is stronger yet you still charge me more. Nah that all makes perfect sense, sometimes I forget that everyone doesn't work permanent overtime or not have kids.

AQUAMAN
BATGIRL
BATMAN
BATMAN AND ROBIN
BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT
BATWOMAN
BIRDS OF PREY
CAPTAIN ATOM
CATWOMAN
DEATHSTROKE
DEMON KNIGHTS
DETECTIVE COMICS
FLASH
GREEN ARROW
GREEN LANTERN
GREEN LANTERN CORPS
GREEN LANTERN: THE NEW GUARDIANS
HAWK & DOVE
I, VAMPIRE
JUSTICE LEAGUE
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL
LEGION LOST
LEGION OF SUPERHEROES
NIGHTWING
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS
RED LANTERNS
SAVAGE HAWKMAN
STATIC SHOCK
TEEN TITANS
VOODOO
WONDER WOMAN
SUICIDE SQUAD
SUPERMAN
ACTION COMICS
SUPERBOY
SUPERGIRL

Will Buy Issue 1 at least (only because Superman is connected to them in some way):
SWAMP THING
STORMWATCH

Might Buy:
ANIMAL MAN
BLUE BEETLE
DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS - depends who the featured character is - issues 1 - 5 is deadman so I'm not buying them till at least issue #6 cause i don't care about Deadman.
GRIFTER

Not enough people are trying Catwoman... :csad:

Come on, just give it a go; I promise you'll LOVE it! :awesome:

Apparently the British do...

I have no concept of how people can afford all these comics!

I hate my country sometimes. I work two jobs, approx 47 1/2hrs a week. And £92 a month would absolutely floor me.

I was going to use this reboot as a decent opportunity to jump on GL, but 'Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.' looks too awesome to pass up. So, getting that instead of GL.

Well, 92 dollars is only like 62 pounds, isn't it? :o

Why not just order then from an American website and have them shipped internationally?

Granted, I'm sure shipping would be a *****, but still.

Yeah the shipping would make it pointless. I'll just have to be incredibly picky about which titles I get.

Haven't ever bought individual comics religiously before because of the money issue, but I at least want to jump on Action Comics, JLA and Superman at this point.

Why not just subscribe directly to DC?

You get a decent discount and they'll send it right to your house.....granted a week late, but hey, better than paying full price for books.

On the eve of the DC Relaunch, my list of #1s I'm buying has now been beefed up to a scary 20. I don't expect to be buying all of these titles for the long haul, and some of them might not make it past #1, but here, in order of anticipation, is my top 20 New 52 comics:

1. BATMAN
My favorite hero, being written by one of my favorite current writers, being drawn by a great artist? SOLD! Snyder's Detective Comics was brilliant, and with the way he was really able to dig into the psyches of both Dick Grayson and Jim Gordon, I can't wait to see what he does with Bruce Wayne. I see the Bat-torch passing from Morrison to Snyder, and when you combine that with the Nolan movies and the Arkham video game series, I think this is going to be look back on as one of the all-time great periods of Batman's history.

2. ACTION COMICS
It was going to take something special to get over my anger at Action Comics being renumbered to #1 for the first time since its launch in 1938, but they did it. Grant Morrison, my writing hero, returning to the character after his legendary All Star Superman? Even Superman in jeans can't put me off that can't-miss prospect.

3. SWAMP THING
Scott Snyder again. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is one of the all-time great runs in comics, and I don't think any other writer has quite been able to live up to those heady heights. But I have a feeling that if anyone might just be able to pull it off, it's Snyder. And Yanick Paquette's art seems to be evoking the visual innovation of Steve Bissette. Very excited about this one.

4. STORMWATCH
Confession: I've never read The Authority. But even so, with all that I've read and seen about this relaunch of Stormwatch, it seems like the perfect title for Paul Cornell, a writer who I'm a huge fan of. And Martian Manhunter's in it!

5. JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
Yes, I think this team book could end up stealing the show from Justice League proper. Really intriguing lineup for the team, and the art I've seen so far has been jawdropping gorgeous.

6. DEMON KNIGHTS
Paul Cornell again, and this seems like the fantasy book to feed my revived love for the genre in the wake of Game of Thrones. With the oddball team dynamic populated with some outright villainous characters, I think this could become a spiritual successor of sorts to Secret Six.

7. WONDER WOMAN
I've never bought a Wonder Woman comic, and I don't even have the best working knowledge of the character's mythology. But the DC animated movie from a while back made me interested in the potential of the character with the right entry point. And I don't think there's going to be a better entry point than this.

8. JUSTICE LEAGUE
It's Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on Justice League. You don't get much bigger than that. After some years in the wilderness, it's about time that this title once again became the crown jewel centrepiece of the DCU. And I'm really willing for that to happen here.

9. BATWOMAN
The character of Batwoman has long sparked my interest, enough that I gave her stint on Detective Comics a try. And while I thought Greg Rucka's story was good, what really made the series stand out was the stunning artwork of J.H. Williams III. So much so that, even with Rucka out of the picture, this is a comic I still anticipate. You know it's going to be beautiful. But whether or not Williams can write anywhere as good as he can draw will be the test of if I come back for more.

10. ANIMAL MAN
I'm a big fan of Jeff Lemire, and loved Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man, so this series excited me from the moment it was announced. A couple of months back, I'd have ranked it top 5 easy. But the poorly-colored artwork from the recently-released preview dampened my excitement for the book quite a bit. Still looking forward to seeing how Lemire brings Buddy Baker and his family to life, though.

11. FRANKENSTEIN: AGENT OF S.H.A.D.E
This is almost the exact same scenario as the post above. My love of Lemire's work and Grant Morrison's earlier tenure with the character made this a must-buy prospect for me, but poorly-colored preview art dampened my excitement. A shame.

12. AQUAMAN
Now, I'm not a huge Aquaman fan. He's another guy who I don't really know that much about, as regards his comic history. I learned more from trustyside-kick's immersive RPG posts with the character than I ever did from reading any comics with him. But I'm really curious to see if the old Green Lantern dream team of Johns and Reis can propel Aquaman to the A-list much like they did for Green Lantern.

13. BATGIRL
Barbara Gordon is a character who I've liked when she's a supporting character in someone else's book, but haven't really seeked out when she's a main character in her own book, like Birds of Prey. But with Gail Simone back writing her here, along with the major intrigue about how she's managed to get out of the wheelchair, this one I'll be keen to check out, even if it's only for an issue to dip my toes in the water.

14. DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS
This is an unusual one, as it's only just slipped in at the absolute 11th hour. See, I've long liked the concept of the Deadman character, more from him popping up as a supporting character in other comics I've read rather than actually reading any Deadman comics. And I remember thinking, "If this was Deadman #1, I'd pick this up in a flash, but I'm not getting invested in this series if Deadman's only in it for an arc." But recently, I had an epiphany: why is that stopping me buying this first issue? If anything, it should encourage me, because now I know that no matter how good this story is, I can drop it and have one less item on my buy list after 5 issues.

15. GREEN LANTERN
At one point, Green Lantern was my most anticipated comic of each month. But recently, you could even say over the past year, it's become a comic where I'll read it, quite like it, then instantly forget about it until the next issue is out. I'm buying it more out of habit than genuine passion. I'm looking to this new #1 to reignite my passion for the franchise, and if it fails, I'll be saying goodbye to Green Lantern for now.

16. THE FLASH
Francis Manapul's art is amazing. I lost interest in the last volume of The Flash and stopped buying after the first arc. But Francis Manapul's art is amazing. And with Geoff Johns gone and Manapul taking over scripting duties, I fear the stories could have even less chance of grabbing me. But have I mentioned Francis Manapul's art is amazing? I'll give it a go for one issue, and see if the writing is competent enough to not hamper my enjoyment of that lush, gorgeous art.

17. I, VAMPIRE
Another late bloomer, this one. I wasn't interested in this one at all, but the preview art released a while back totally knocked my socks off. And I hear Josh Falkiov is actually a really great writer whose done some great horror work, so I'll use this as a chance to check him out.

18. CATWOMAN
We really haven't heard much about Catwoman since the early going, and amidst the recent blitz of publicity from the other titles I'd almost forgotten about this one. I'm mainly buying it because I like Catwoman, and I'm curious to see if I like her enough to buy a monthly solo title featuring her.

19. THE FURY OF FIRESTORMS: THE NUCLEAR MEN
I'll start by saying I have no interest at all in the Firestorm character or concept. None. Nada. I've went back and forth on whether or not to buy this at all. But the sheer irresistability of the creative team has lured me in. The always dependable Gail Simone is writing, co-plotting with great ideas man (and awesome cover artist) Ethan Van Sciver, and artist Yildiray Cidar (whose work I loved in Nothingface) is drawing. I'm giving them one issue to see if they can make me a Firestorm fan... but I doubt it.

20. RESURRECTION MAN
How lame is this? I'm getting this book for two reasons. First, I was feeling neurotic about having 19 titles on my buy list, and wanted to find something to round it up to a nice 20. Second, I felt bad about trying every other DCU Dark title and not this one, and thought it only fair to try this to. Again, a very late addition to my list, and will probably be one of the first to be dropped unless issue #1 wows me.

I thought it would be interesting to go back and look at this list I made, based on the New 52 titles I was most looking forward to, and see how it compares to my rankings of the comics now that I've read them. I ended up bumping my reading list from 20 to 24, so I'll now present my top 24:

24. RED LANTERNS
Of all the books I picked up, this one was the weakest. A neat intro with Dex-Starr, but nothing remotely memorable aside from that.
FULL REVIEW HERE

23. NIGHTWING
Decent writing and art, but a lot of this feels like a pale rehash of Snyder's Detective Comics work with Dick Grayson. Not enough to bring me back for more.
FULL REVIEW HERE

22. CATWOMAN
A pretty good debut issue, with some stylish (if cheesecakey) art, marred by an already-notorious stinker of a closing scene.
FULL REVIEW HERE

21. THE FURY OF FIRESTORM: THE NUCLEAR MEN
Even a great creative team can't make me care about Firestorm.
FULL REVIEW HERE

20. DETECTIVE COMICS
Was better than I was expecting, thanks largely to Tony Daniel's lavish artwork and a killer ending. But the story as a whole feels pretty pedestrian.
FULL REVIEW HERE

19. RESURRECTION MAN
A highly competent introductory issue, with solid writing and art, but amidst such hefty competition, I don't know if it has enough to draw me back for another issue.
FULL REVIEW HERE

18. DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS
I like Deadman, and this offers some nice insight into his character. But the plot is really going to need to kick in next issue to keep me interested.
FULL REVIEW HERE

17. JUSTICE LEAGUE
Doesn't quite live up to all the weight of expectation, and it suffers from decompression, but on its own merits this is a fun, good-looking comic.
FULL REVIEW HERE

16. STORMWATCH
Certainly not the worst New 52 comic, but based on its ranking VS how hyped I was for it, perhaps my biggest disappointment of the bunch. Some interesting concepts keep me interested for now, though.
FULL REVIEW HERE

15. ALL STAR WESTERN
The Jonah Hex writing team reunite and maintain that consistently great quality, this time tackling a different kind of story. The most successful of the last-minute additions to my pull list.
FULL REVIEW HERE

14. THE FLASH
Francis Manapul's art is stunning, and the writing is fine so long as you accept it on its own merits as a blank slate and a fresh start.
FULL REVIEW HERE

13. BATWOMAN
Light on plot, but when a comic has this much gorgeous J.H. WIlliams III art in it, who needs plot?
FULL REVIEW HERE

12. WONDER WOMAN
I'm not quite sure I know what was going on for all of this issue, but whatever was happening, it seemed intrigiung.
FULL REVIEW HERE

11. GREEN LANTERN
Just when I thought I was out, Geoff Johns and Doug Mahnke pull me back in. I said I'd be using this issue to judge whether or not I'd be dropping the title, but this relaunch won me back.
FULL REVIEW HERE

10. FRANKENSTEIN: AGENT OF S.H.A.D.E.
I still have issues with the art, but the dizzying level of nutty invention in Jeff Lemire's writing more than made up for it.
FULL REVIEW HERE

9. ACTION COMICS
Morrison didn't blow me away quite so much as he usually does, but this was still a whole lot of fun, and I'm keen to see where his altered take on Superman's early days takes us next.
FULL REVIEW HERE

8. BATGIRL
I was expecting to like Batwoman more, but this ended up winning me over with a likeable portrayal of Barbara Gordon. I should have known that Gail Simone would deliver the goods.
FULL REVIEW HERE

7. JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
This chapter was mostly set-up, but it's fascinating setup, with arguably the best ensemble cast of the New 52 being carefully brought together by Peter Milligan, while Mikel Janin provides atmospheric art.
FULL REVIEW HERE

6. I, VAMPIRE
Based on my original interest VS its final ranking, this surely stands as my biggest sleeper hit of the bunch. Joshua Hale Fialkov manages to tell a non-boring vampire story, while Andrea Sorrentino brings it to life with breathtaking visuals.
FULL REVIEW HERE

5. AQUAMAN
Another book that was much better than I was anticipating. The dream team of Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis delivered the goods once more, making Aquaman cool again.
FULL REVIEW HERE

4. BATMAN
This was my most anticipated book. In the end, it didn't quite reach the top of my list of best #1s after reading, but it was still a quality book, with Scott Snyder putting together the first chapter of what should be an engrossing mystery. And thanks to Greg Capullo it all looks slick as hell.
FULL REVIEW HERE

3. ANIMAL MAN
Animal Man better than Batman!? Jeff Lemire is one of the big winners of the New 52 in my book, with both his titles ranking higher in this list than my original hype-list, much higher in the case of this comic. Along with some unusual but memorable art from Travel Foreman, this acts as a fitting re-introduction to Buddy Baker and his family, with plenty for fans of superheroes and horror alike.
FULL REVIEW HERE

2. DEMON KNIGHTS
Paul Cornell knocks this one out of the park, with a masterfully constructed debut issue that - thanks to the lush pencils of Diogenes Neves - looks amazing, too.
FULL REVIEW HERE

1. SWAMP THING
The best of a great bunch. Scott Snyder gives us a debut that doesn't falter under the mgihty shadow cast by Alan Moore, while Yanick Paquette kills it with some breathtaking artistic innovation. More than any other of the New 52, this is the one I can't wait to get issue #2 for.
FULL REVIEW HERE

So, some clear winners and losers out of that selection. But even with the ever-expanding list of titles I picked up, there were very few that I outright regretted buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"