52 Pickup - Which #1 will you be buying?

**** me, I can't believe it, but I'm going to actually start buying comics again. I haven't done that since I was in high school... 7 years ago. Wow.

I'm getting:

Justice League Dark
Demon Knight
Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
I, Vampire (I fully expect this one to be garbage, but we'll see.)

I'm keeping it simple by grabbing mostly "fringe" titles, but I may get bold and actually pick up one of the main hero titles.

Basically, everything I'm buying is on a "check it out but drop it at the first hint of s***tiness" basis.

Aquaman
Wonder Woman
Action Comics
Green Lantern: New Guardians
Resurrection Man
Demon Knights
Stormwatch (at least until #2, to see why the f*** J'onn's on the team)
Blue Beetle

Aquaman is a book I plan on getting because I'm probably one of the biggest Aquaman fans. :awesome:

Justice League because of the roster (overall not just Aquaman being back there but that is a HUGE plus), I'm a fan of Geoff Johns' work (though I recognize when he isn't at his best within an issue whether it be a concept, character, etc but I really like him as a writer), and then Jim Lee. I love Jim Lee. I can understand why some people--usually they are artistically skilled--can get annoyed with different things about his art whether it's the faces of characters looking too similar or something but I've always wanted a book of either JLA or Aquaman with Lee's art. And here we are.

Savage Hawkman because I'm a fan of Hawkman. I haven't read all of his printed material and appearances like I practically have with Aquaman, but man did Johns make me fall in love with the character when he was writing his latest series. And then I enjoyed it when Johns left but as soon as OYL came around and it changed to only Hawkgirl I really couldn't have cared less about the book. So I'm happy to see it being Hawkman centered.

Justice League Dark is something that I'm getting moreso because I want to know the true state of magic in the DCU. I LOVE much of the magical history in the DCU. Overall I am not psyched for the current known roster of JLDark...but I'm looking forward to the magical villains and possible additions to the roster and roster change ups.

Demon Knights is a book that didn't take my appeal at all when I first saw it. But when it made mention in I think the solicit for issue 2--or maybe I just finally read the solicit for issue 1 this time--I was intrigued that there would be new medieval heroes and I love medieval stuff.

O.M.A.C. was also a book that didn't take appeal with me but I didn't read the solicits at first. I LOVED Rucka's Checkmate run--omg it has to be one of the best things he has written within the DCU for me--and Checkmate is going to be involved in that book. All we know is that Maxwell Lord is in charge again so I'm HOPING that the Checkmate is comprised of the same whole "rule of two" thing from Rucka's run.

Grifter
is a book that I want to get out of pure curiosity. I never delved into the Wildstorm comics and universe although before I read comics I was more than familiar with WILDCATs from either toys or I think they had a show or something...him being brought into the true DCU cannon now makes me more curious. I've heard that there is some good WILDCATs stuff from years ago but atm I'm still delving into Vertigo books so won't go into the Wildstorm stuff just yet. So this is the closest I will get for the time being.

Nightwing
is a title I've wanted to get into, but never reading a Nightwing comic before...it was actually a book that scared me because I didn't know anything about him outside of my childhood with cartoons, and his cameos in other books. I'm the type of person that when it comes to individual character books that I sometimes like to know EVERYTHING about them from important story moments to villains and I just never knew anything truly about Nightwing. So with this being a relaunch--even though the Batverse of the DCU seems to be least affected--it makes it easier for me to jump on.

Red Hood and the Outlaws is a book I'm actually somewhat skeptical about because while I love Jason Todd since Winnick beautifully wrote his return--but yea, the whole Superboy-Prime reality punch thing IS dumb--I have only enjoyed the character when written by Winnick. Plus I don't get why Arsenal and Starfire are on his "side". So I'm curious but skeptical about this book enough to want to check it out.

3 AQUAMAN
4 BATGIRL
7 BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT
9 BATWOMAN
16 DEMON KNIGHTS
18 FLASH
22 GREEN LANTERN
30 JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL
32 LEGION OF SUPERHEROES
33 MISTER TERRIFIC
39 SAVAGE HAWKMAN
40 SGT. ROCK AND THE MEN OF WAR
41 STATIC SHOCK
43 SWAMP THING
46 WONDER WOMAN
49 SUPERMAN
50 ACTION COMICS

17 titles! My first monthlies in over a year. My initial reaction to the relaunch news was negative, but now I'm curious to see how this plays out. I'm most excited for Batgirl, Demon Knights, Mister Terrific, and Swamp Thing.

I haven't bought monthly comics regularly in over 15 years. I've picked up a number of trades over the years, but mostly older mini-series like Earth X, Kingdom Come, and the Watchmen, as well as all the Sandman trades and Absolute Editions. I thought this might be a good chance to get back into it, especially because they are bringing in some more Vertigo-ey titles. I'm picking up:

Green Lantern (he's been one of my two favorite heroes since the Superfriends days)
Green Lantern: New Guardians (I enjoyed the one Blackest Night trade I picked up and the multicolored Corps deal)
Justice League Dark
I, Vampire
Demon Knights
Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.

My main concern at this point is that I don't think four of my six choices will probably last very long (the latter four), simply because of the subject matter. Not sure how long New Guardians will last, either, but probably longer than the more "magical" books. I'm guessing Green Lantern will likely run as long as the relaunch does.

Okay, some things have chanced and I've updated my list!

I have already subscribe to:

1. Birds of Prey
2. Justice League
3. Action Comics
4. Aquaman
5. Wonder Woman
6. Batgirl
7. Stormwatch
8. Teen Titans
9. Red Hood and the Outlaws
10. Flash
11. Batman
12. Green Lantern: The new Guardians
13. Superboy

Will check out only #1 first:
1. Justice League Dark
2. Batwoman
3. Animal Man
4. Swamp Thing
5. Green Lantern
6. Grifter
7. Nightwing
8. Superman
9. I, Vampire
10. Voodoo

I'll pretty much be picking up the entire bat family outside of Red hood. I don't really have any major interest in batwoman but everyone says it's great so I'll bite for the first few issues.

On the eve of the DC Relaunch, my list of #1s I'm buying has now been beefed up to a scary 20. I don't expect to be buying all of these titles for the long haul, and some of them might not make it past #1, but here, in order of anticipation, is my top 20 New 52 comics:

1. BATMAN
My favorite hero, being written by one of my favorite current writers, being drawn by a great artist? SOLD! Snyder's Detective Comics was brilliant, and with the way he was really able to dig into the psyches of both Dick Grayson and Jim Gordon, I can't wait to see what he does with Bruce Wayne. I see the Bat-torch passing from Morrison to Snyder, and when you combine that with the Nolan movies and the Arkham video game series, I think this is going to be look back on as one of the all-time great periods of Batman's history.

2. ACTION COMICS
It was going to take something special to get over my anger at Action Comics being renumbered to #1 for the first time since its launch in 1938, but they did it. Grant Morrison, my writing hero, returning to the character after his legendary All Star Superman? Even Superman in jeans can't put me off that can't-miss prospect.

3. SWAMP THING
Scott Snyder again. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is one of the all-time great runs in comics, and I don't think any other writer has quite been able to live up to those heady heights. But I have a feeling that if anyone might just be able to pull it off, it's Snyder. And Yanick Paquette's art seems to be evoking the visual innovation of Steve Bissette. Very excited about this one.

4. STORMWATCH
Confession: I've never read The Authority. But even so, with all that I've read and seen about this relaunch of Stormwatch, it seems like the perfect title for Paul Cornell, a writer who I'm a huge fan of. And Martian Manhunter's in it!

5. JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
Yes, I think this team book could end up stealing the show from Justice League proper. Really intriguing lineup for the team, and the art I've seen so far has been jawdropping gorgeous.

6. DEMON KNIGHTS
Paul Cornell again, and this seems like the fantasy book to feed my revived love for the genre in the wake of Game of Thrones. With the oddball team dynamic populated with some outright villainous characters, I think this could become a spiritual successor of sorts to Secret Six.

7. WONDER WOMAN
I've never bought a Wonder Woman comic, and I don't even have the best working knowledge of the character's mythology. But the DC animated movie from a while back made me interested in the potential of the character with the right entry point. And I don't think there's going to be a better entry point than this.

8. JUSTICE LEAGUE
It's Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on Justice League. You don't get much bigger than that. After some years in the wilderness, it's about time that this title once again became the crown jewel centrepiece of the DCU. And I'm really willing for that to happen here.

9. BATWOMAN
The character of Batwoman has long sparked my interest, enough that I gave her stint on Detective Comics a try. And while I thought Greg Rucka's story was good, what really made the series stand out was the stunning artwork of J.H. Williams III. So much so that, even with Rucka out of the picture, this is a comic I still anticipate. You know it's going to be beautiful. But whether or not Williams can write anywhere as good as he can draw will be the test of if I come back for more.

10. ANIMAL MAN
I'm a big fan of Jeff Lemire, and loved Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man, so this series excited me from the moment it was announced. A couple of months back, I'd have ranked it top 5 easy. But the poorly-colored artwork from the recently-released preview dampened my excitement for the book quite a bit. Still looking forward to seeing how Lemire brings Buddy Baker and his family to life, though.

11. FRANKENSTEIN: AGENT OF S.H.A.D.E
This is almost the exact same scenario as the post above. My love of Lemire's work and Grant Morrison's earlier tenure with the character made this a must-buy prospect for me, but poorly-colored preview art dampened my excitement. A shame.

12. AQUAMAN
Now, I'm not a huge Aquaman fan. He's another guy who I don't really know that much about, as regards his comic history. I learned more from trustyside-kick's immersive RPG posts with the character than I ever did from reading any comics with him. But I'm really curious to see if the old Green Lantern dream team of Johns and Reis can propel Aquaman to the A-list much like they did for Green Lantern.

13. BATGIRL
Barbara Gordon is a character who I've liked when she's a supporting character in someone else's book, but haven't really seeked out when she's a main character in her own book, like Birds of Prey. But with Gail Simone back writing her here, along with the major intrigue about how she's managed to get out of the wheelchair, this one I'll be keen to check out, even if it's only for an issue to dip my toes in the water.

14. DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS
This is an unusual one, as it's only just slipped in at the absolute 11th hour. See, I've long liked the concept of the Deadman character, more from him popping up as a supporting character in other comics I've read rather than actually reading any Deadman comics. And I remember thinking, "If this was Deadman #1, I'd pick this up in a flash, but I'm not getting invested in this series if Deadman's only in it for an arc." But recently, I had an epiphany: why is that stopping me buying this first issue? If anything, it should encourage me, because now I know that no matter how good this story is, I can drop it and have one less item on my buy list after 5 issues.

15. GREEN LANTERN
At one point, Green Lantern was my most anticipated comic of each month. But recently, you could even say over the past year, it's become a comic where I'll read it, quite like it, then instantly forget about it until the next issue is out. I'm buying it more out of habit than genuine passion. I'm looking to this new #1 to reignite my passion for the franchise, and if it fails, I'll be saying goodbye to Green Lantern for now.

16. THE FLASH
Francis Manapul's art is amazing. I lost interest in the last volume of The Flash and stopped buying after the first arc. But Francis Manapul's art is amazing. And with Geoff Johns gone and Manapul taking over scripting duties, I fear the stories could have even less chance of grabbing me. But have I mentioned Francis Manapul's art is amazing? I'll give it a go for one issue, and see if the writing is competent enough to not hamper my enjoyment of that lush, gorgeous art.

17. I, VAMPIRE
Another late bloomer, this one. I wasn't interested in this one at all, but the preview art released a while back totally knocked my socks off. And I hear Josh Falkiov is actually a really great writer whose done some great horror work, so I'll use this as a chance to check him out.

18. CATWOMAN
We really haven't heard much about Catwoman since the early going, and amidst the recent blitz of publicity from the other titles I'd almost forgotten about this one. I'm mainly buying it because I like Catwoman, and I'm curious to see if I like her enough to buy a monthly solo title featuring her.

19. THE FURY OF FIRESTORMS: THE NUCLEAR MEN
I'll start by saying I have no interest at all in the Firestorm character or concept. None. Nada. I've went back and forth on whether or not to buy this at all. But the sheer irresistability of the creative team has lured me in. The always dependable Gail Simone is writing, co-plotting with great ideas man (and awesome cover artist) Ethan Van Sciver, and artist Yildiray Cidar (whose work I loved in Nothingface) is drawing. I'm giving them one issue to see if they can make me a Firestorm fan... but I doubt it.

20. RESURRECTION MAN
How lame is this? I'm getting this book for two reasons. First, I was feeling neurotic about having 19 titles on my buy list, and wanted to find something to round it up to a nice 20. Second, I felt bad about trying every other DCU Dark title and not this one, and thought it only fair to try this to. Again, a very late addition to my list, and will probably be one of the first to be dropped unless issue #1 wows me.

My list has changed "last second" as well. There are still 2-3 books I'm considering but my list has bumped up to 14 titles now (the first 3 being print and the rest digital):

- Aquaman
- Justice League
- Savage Hawkman
- Justice League Dark
- Demon Knights
- Wonder Woman
- Batwoman
- Green Lantern
- O.M.A.C.
- Grifter
- Stormwatch
- Men of War
- Static Shock
- Blue Beetle

Still considering Nightwing, Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E., and Redhood and the Outlaws.

I am getting...
1 ALL-STAR WESTERN
2 ANIMAL MAN
3 AQUAMAN
4 BATGIRL
5 BATMAN
6 BATMAN AND ROBIN
7 BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT
8 BATWING
9 BATWOMAN
10 BIRDS OF PREY
11 BLACKHAWKS
12 CAPTAIN ATOM
13 CATWOMAN
14 DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS
15 DEATHSTROKE
16 DEMON KNIGHTS
17 DETECTIVE COMICS
18 FLASH
19 FRANKENSTEIN, AGENT OF S.H.A.D.E.
20 FURY OF FIRESTORM
21 GREEN ARROW
22 GREEN LANTERN
23 GREEN LANTERN CORPS
24 GREEN LANTERN: THE NEW GUARDIANS
25 GRIFTER
26 HAWK & DOVE
27 I, VAMPIRE
28 JUSTICE LEAGUE
29 JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
30 JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL
31 LEGION LOST
32 LEGION OF SUPERHEROES
33 MISTER TERRIFIC
34 NIGHTWING
35 OMAC
36 RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS
37 RED LANTERNS
38 RESURRECTION MAN
39 SAVAGE HAWKMAN
40 SGT. ROCK AND THE MEN OF WAR
41 STATIC SHOCK
42 STORMWATCH
43 SWAMP THING
44 TEEN TITANS
45 VOODOO
46 WONDER WOMAN
47 BLUE BEETLE
48 SUICIDE SQUAD
49 SUPERMAN
50 ACTION COMICS
51 SUPERBOY
52 SUPERGIRL

*refer to sig for my final list*

I've reasoned it out to 21 definite #1s, and possibly 25.

Justice League
Aquaman
Action Comics
Batman
Batman & Robin
Batwoman
Nightwing
Deathstroke
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Swamp Thing
Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE
Resurrection Man
Demon Knights
Stormwatch
Grifter
All-Star Western
Blackhawks
Teen Titans

Possibly:
Justice League International
Captain Atom
Voodoo
The Flash

I'm definitely checking out Action Comics and Superman, think I might give Justice League a chance too.

Definites:
Action Comics
Animal Man
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Batman and Robin
Batwoman
Blue Beetle
The Flash
Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: The New Guardians
Justice League
Justice League International
Legion Lost
Nightwing
Stormwatch
Supergirl
Swamp Thing
Teen Titans
Wonder Woman

Possibles:
All-Star Western
Batman: The Dark Knight
DC Universe Presents
Green Arrow
Justice League Dark
Superboy
Superman
Teen Titans

This is looking like my final list:

Buying with no initial intention of dropping
Action Comics
Aquaman
Demon Knights
Resurrection Man

Trying for a couple issues, at least
Batman (because EB whines too much)
DC Universe Presents
Grifter
Stormwatch
Wonder Woman

Last edited:
Trying/Buying:

Batgirl

...And that's about it.

Action Comics
Aquaman
Demon Knights
Resurrection Man

DC Universe Presents
Grifter
Stormwatch
Wonder Woman
What made you knock off Blue Beetle?

Action Comics
Aquaman
Demon Knights
Resurrection Man

DC Universe Presents
Grifter
Stormwatch
Wonder Woman
No Batman? Really? It's Scott Snyder, man. Oh, wait, you're one of those heathens who haven't read his Detective Comics run, aren't you? :cmad:

I'd like to check out Legion Lost, if only to support Nicieza, but I know nothing about that whole group of characters. And while a #1 issue should be the perfect time to meet them, I don't know. At least with the other #1s, some of which I'm just getting into, I have some familiarity.

What made you knock off Blue Beetle?
Eh, I'm just not really into starting all over with Jaime. His early comics work just fine in the new continuity with a few nips and tucks. But no, now they want me to forget about the fantastic Giffen/Rogers run and re-invest in this new, not-quite-the-same version of Jaime. Plus, Bedard is pretty hit-or-miss and the solicitations for the stories didn't look all that interesting.

No Batman? Really? It's Scott Snyder, man. Oh, wait, you're one of those heathens who haven't read his Detective Comics run, aren't you? :cmad:
Yeah, I'm one of those. Suck it. :oldrazz:

I'm just waiting for Morrison to come back with the new Batman, Inc. series. Nothing else looks particularly interesting to me.

Is wonder woman going to be an origin story?

I will mostly wait on TPB's but if I find any floppies in the dollar bins I will buy it.

Justice League
Superman
Action Comics
and........ maybe Batman

Done deal

I'm just waiting for Morrison to come back with the new Batman, Inc. series. Nothing else looks particularly interesting to me.
You should really read Snyder's run. Not only is it a definitive take on Batman - and the best Dick Grayson Batman we've seen - it's a definitive take on comics in general. I'm probably not the best when it comes to making lists, but it should sit high on someone's top ## of recent and/or all-time works.

It was a better Dick Grayson Batman than Morrison penned in his issues of Batman and Robin, and he penned an overall stronger Batman in Grayson than did Morrison with Bruce. But it goes so much more beyond just being a Batman comic.

So if you like Morrison on Inc. and other things Batman - and of course you do, why would you not? - then you should add Snyder's Batman ongoing. It's only one more title, and should be a damned good one at that.

Ugh, fine, I'll try the first few issues out. Whine, whine, whine, all the damn time from you. :whatever:

Okay, who's going to get Corp the Batman: The Black Mirror hardcover for Christmas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"