• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

69th Golden Globe Awards a/k/a Ricky Gervais Strikes Back

Wait. You cry Oscar-bait at The Artist (without even seeing it), then proclaim My Week with Marilyn as your pick? That movie is FAR more generic and Oscar-bait-y than The Artist, imo. The only things that made MWWM even worth watching at all were Williams' and Branagh's performances, and neither were remotely their career bests, either. At least The Artist is something a little different. Also, its trailer does it no justice, imo.

Obviously opinions vary, and you may be able to tell that it won't be your type of movie, which is cool. It's certainly not for everybody. I just think it's silly to declare something you haven't even seen "Oscar Bait" when pretty much all of its competition fits the definition of Oscar Bait more, and in a much more common way.

Dude, its possible to formulate an opinion based on trailers. I know contraband is gonna suck but do I still need to pay to see and know that? I have no desire to see a silent movie in black n white. I like acting and good stories but that's really pushing it for me. It's all the same old thing a movie like that no one sees will get a ton of praise n win best picture over better movies. No one knows about the artist outside of these forums and have the movies and shows last night I never heard of. Boardwalk empire was also robbed.

Dude, its possible to formulate an opinion based on trailers. I know contraband is gonna suck but do I still need to pay to see and know that? I have no desire to see a silent movie in black n white. I like acting and good stories but that's really pushing it for me. It's all the same old thing a movie like that no one sees will get a ton of praise n win best picture over better movies. No one knows about the artist outside of these forums and have the movies and shows last night I never heard of. Boardwalk empire was also robbed.

I know quite a few people who have seen The Artist outside of these forums and they loved it.

You can formulate an opinion based on the trailers, but that doesn't mean you're right. What exactly is "pushing it" about The Artist? That it's in black and white and silent? It just makes you mad that it was something different? By the way, that doesn't automatically make it good or Oscar-worthy.

But here's the thing: it was really good. It's fine if it's not your thing, but obviously people are liking it based on the reviews and the positive attention it has been getting. If you want to write it off based on the trailers, go ahead, but people who've actually seen the movie will disagree.

The above says more about you that it does about The Artist and the "movies and shows" you never heard of. Plenty of people have heard of The Artist given that it's playing, albeit not as wide as possible, in most of the major markets in the US, been featured in magazines, and has buzz as an awards darling which is covered on television.

I'm not the biggest fan of The Artist, it's a good, crowd pleasing movie which took a risk in format, but I don't think it's close to best of the year. That said, I wouldn't presume to judge a movie based on trailers vs. a mass of critical opinions. You can spend literally hours reading in depth opinions, you can actually see the movie to come up with your own optinion, or you can judge and dismiss a movie based on out of context snippets. At this point, the latter option seems silly in the face of people that have actually seen the movie.

I completely understand that a silent, black and white film isn't to everyone's tastes. Heck, compared to the greats of silent cinema, I can think of dozens of better examples of the form. That said, if you're not even going to judge the actual movie, why should anyone care about your opinion? That's not a constructive conversation starter.

i personally wont see the artist unless i see it on HBO or something

does'nt appeal to me

same with the kings speech never saw that either even after Oscar win just does'nt appeal to me

I completely understand "it doesn't appeal to me" as a reason not to see a movie.

What I can't understand is not seeing a movie, for whatever reason, and then thinking that your opinion holds any weight in the matter of judging the respective merits of the film in question. Especially in view of all the people that have watched the movie and can offer an informed opinion.

I'm not sure how much a silent movie will appeal to the modern movie going audience.

I figure most people will just scoff at the idea of a silent film winning Best Picture.

While I am a big fan of older films and I have seen several silent movies, it still feels like they are missing an extra layer that films with sound have.

Should a silent film really be Best Picture when you have these other films that have this extra layer of that is given by sound.

Discussion between silent films and talkies always reminds me of the German film M.

tumblr_lxwoviwzzt1qzx3jto1_500.png

lmao lol she took that like a champ another actress would of been extremely snobby about it

kate is hot as hell as always lol

Yes, God forbid someone spice up an incredibly droll, boring award show with an erection joke. Shame on him. :dry:

Dude, its possible to formulate an opinion based on trailers. I know contraband is gonna suck but do I still need to pay to see and know that? I have no desire to see a silent movie in black n white. I like acting and good stories but that's really pushing it for me. It's all the same old thing a movie like that no one sees will get a ton of praise n win best picture over better movies. No one knows about the artist outside of these forums and have the movies and shows last night I never heard of.
As I said in my post, it's perfectly natural to decide whether a movie will appeal to your taste or not by a trailer. That's what trailers are for. Thankfully, what trailers are NOT for, is determining whether a film is worthy of awards or acclaim. People actually see the movies to determine that.

People ARE seeing The Artist. It's been sold out at my theater for the past 2 weekends, and sometimes on the weekdays. And we're not even the only theater in town showing it, either. I do auditorium checks on it every show during my shift, and every time, the audience seems to really be into it, laughing at all the right parts. Just like I did. The movie is just pure, earnest joy, which is a huge (and refreshing, imo) change from the usual dark/cynical/depressing Oscar fare.

That was....really classless and not very funny. I think he just missed his chance to present at the Oscars next month.

It was probably one of the funnier moments and if they don't have him present at the Oscars I'm sure he wont lose any sleep over it.

I'm not sure how much a silent movie will appeal to the modern movie going audience.

I figure most people will just scoff at the idea of a silent film winning Best Picture.

While I am a big fan of older films and I have seen several silent movies, it still feels like they are missing an extra layer that films with sound have.

Should a silent film really be Best Picture when you have these other films that have this extra layer of that is given by sound.

Discussion between silent films and talkies always reminds me of the German film M.

Honestly, I kept forgetting I was watching a silent film when I saw it. It's a simple enough story that it's accessible to just about anyone who gives it chance. It's very entertaining - it's certainly not intended to reinvent the wheel or anything, but it was incredibly enjoyable to watch.

And
the movie does briefly use sound in one scene, and the characters do speak in the final scene.

I think it absolutely deserves a shot at Best Picture as any much as any other film does. Just because it's silent doesn't mean it didn't have anything to say.

That was....really classless and not very funny. I think he just missed his chance to present at the Oscars next month.

He has presented at the Oscars many times before. And he's a big goofball there as well. One year, he even started laughing cause James Franco mispronounced some foreign dudes names.

Why do I stay on this forum with you people.

I saw The Artist the other day, I didn't like it. It seemed like they had a simple story so they thought hey let's make it a silent film so people will actually care about it.

Why do I stay on this forum with you people.

Not sure how my post warranted this response.

I was just giving my general thoughts about silent films vs films with sound, and whether sound gives films an extra dimension that silent films do not have.

In silent films you have to be quite expressive since there isn't that extra layer of sound. And even though silent films can get across feelings or emotions without sound, I feel like it cannot get them across as strongly as a film with sound.

I saw The Artist the other day, I didn't like it. It seemed like they had a simple story so they thought hey let's make it a silent film so people will actually care about it.

You do realize the movie is made as a love letter to silent films. The entire story is there to serve that end. Yeah, you can say, "well why couldn't they have just made a silent movie with a normal story", but that's nitpicking for the sake of finding something to complain about about the movie. Yeah, I get it, people. Something getting a lot of praise and being different and seeming self-important is annoying to you and makes you want to hate it and find things to complain about it so you can drag it down a peg. Well, if you do that, you're an idiot. It's fine to not like the Artist, but at least give it the respect it deserves and don't drag it down to the point where we won't see any more successful attempts at artistry in movies like this. You people don't realize what's at stake here.

Speaking in general to everyone here:
I find it awful that people complain that "oh Twilight and Transformers are awful and are destroying cinema with their badness and overuse of CGI" but when a movie like the Artist comes along everyone complains then too. Stop watching movies if you're going to hate everything so much. And don't give me this "whoa calm down dude" bull. I have every right to be angry about this. And if you complain that I'm being overdramatic then you're an idiot.
Not sure how my post warranted this response.

I was just giving my general thoughts about silent films vs films with sound, and whether sound gives films an extra dimension that silent films do not have.

In silent films you have to be quite expressive since there isn't that extra layer of sound. And even though silent films can get across feelings or emotions without sound, I feel like it cannot get them across as strongly as a film with sound.
Nosferatu and Metropolis have gotten more emotion out of me than hundreds of movies with sound, and the same can be said for a lot of Chaplin's movies. I feel you're taking it way too far when you say a silent film shouldn't win best picture over sound pictures.

Last edited:
Frankly, I find the idea that The Artist is entertaining modern audiences without the aide of sound to be more impressive than doing it with sound, so I disagree with the notion that it's less deserving of an Oscar because it's "missing a layer" that all the other films have.

It's like Norma said in Sunset Boulevard: Back in the silent film days, "We didn't need dialogue. We had faces." Being able to tell stories and engage an audience with just your face, with just visuals, without that added sound element, is an art form unto itself, imo.

hehe I like the joke. Love how they showed the kids..how dare they hear the word "erection"....quick cut to a clip of SAW 6.

You do realize the movie is made as a love letter to silent films. The entire story is there to serve that end. Yeah, you can say, "well why couldn't they have just made a silent movie with a normal story", but that's nitpicking for the sake of finding something to complain about about the movie. Yeah, I get it, people. Something getting a lot of praise and being different and seeming self-important is annoying to you and makes you want to hate it and find things to complain about it so you can drag it down a peg. Well, if you do that, you're an idiot. It's fine to not like the Artist, but at least give it the respect it deserves and don't drag it down to the point where we won't see any more successful attempts at artistry in movies like this. You people don't realize what's at stake here.

Speaking in general to everyone here:
I find it awful that people complain that "oh Twilight and Transformers are awful and are destroying cinema with their badness and overuse of CGI" but when a movie like the Artist comes along everyone complains then too. Stop watching movies if you're going to hate everything so much. And don't give me this "whoa calm down dude" bull. I have every right to be angry about this. And if you complain that I'm being overdramatic then you're an idiot.

Nosferatu and Metropolis have gotten more emotion out of me than hundreds of movies with sound, and the same can be said for a lot of Chaplin's movies. I feel you're taking it way too far when you say a silent film shouldn't win best picture over sound pictures.

kaneklapqo6.gif

Last edited:

Think of another story without dialogue/sound (after the opening applause) and look how that worked:

[YT]GroDErHIM_0[/YT]

It's not all that different from how The Artist tells its story.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"