WGA Says No Deal to the Golden Globes

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=40620

Source: ComingSoon.net
January 3, 2008

Even though the Golden Globe Awards released this statement on Wednesday, the Writers Guild of America (WGA) says there's no deal. Here is the WGA's official reply:

Dick Clark Productions is a struck company. As previously announced, the Writers Guild will be picketing the Golden Globe Awards.

The WGA has great respect and admiration for the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, but we are engaged in a crucial struggle that will protect our income and intellectual property rights for generations to come. We will continue to do everything in our power to bring industry negotiations to a fair conclusion. In the meantime, we are grateful for the ongoing support of the Hollywood talent community.

Screen Actors Guild (SAG) president Alan Rosenberg followed by issuing this statement saying that SAG members should not cross picket lines:

Screen Actors Guild members will be happy to appear on projects using WGA writers, and we will continue to support the WGA in every way possible in its efforts to achieve a fair contract. Unless and until there is an agreement between the WGA and HFPA, we will advise our members of their rights with respect to not crossing WGA picket lines and/or not appearing on programs using non-union writers. Screen Actors Guild is holding a meeting with Golden Globe actor nominees later this week regarding these issues.

It's looking more and more likely that the nominees, fellow stars and presenters won't be attending the Golden Globes, meaning that the HFPA has to decide whether to air the show.

If the golden globes aren't televised, then Joan and Melissa Rivers will starve

I was looking forward to Johnny Depps acceptance speech. :(

Hells yeah! The writers may all be itching to go back to work, but I'm evil and I would like nothing more than the WGA to give those GG people a big "eff you" to the entire event.

wth are golden globes?... cheap knock-off of oscars?

Naw they are like the pre-oscars , they most of the time tell you who will win the oscar before they win it.

It's looking more and more likely that the nominees, fellow stars and presenters won't be attending the Golden Globes, meaning that the HFPA has to decide whether to air the show.
:lmao:

I'm apathetic to the whole thing :o

But when I start jonesin' for 24, they better figure something out. :cmad:

I can live without that self-congratulatory snob fest.

But will the stars actually show up?

Well if the WGA does not come to a deal with the GG, then the Screen Actors Guild has told all the actors not to cross the line in support of the writers, which means all the nominated actors will not show up to the awards and it won't be on tv. To bad, this is the awards show where they all sit around and get drunk on tv :woot:

Guess they'll just have to stay home and get drunk like the rest of us.

Those dang producers have to cave in now, they love these award shows LOL.

I think this'll be the straw that breaks thr camel's back. There
's going to be a ton of $$$ lost if the GG's aren't aired (Or if they're aired, with a large portion of actors not present). People simply won't tune if if their fave celebs aren't showing up.

Ii think the GG are screwed, which again is bad because it is the awards show where they'll do more than gush over No Country for Old Men, which I liked but think there are frankly better movies out this year. But after losing GG, producers will probably cave before Oscars, because if they don't have their stars at what is the Superbowl of award season, they won't get to promote their DVDs and upcoming summer projects by getting the stars to present awards and the prestige that is widely known with winning a naked gold man.

So my guess is we were cheated out of a Johnny Depp acceptance speech, but this may end the writer strike quicker on the bright side.

http://www.goldenglobes.org/news/id/85

— January 07, 2008

RECIPIENTS OF “THE 65th ANNUAL GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS” TO BE ANNOUNCED AT BEVERLY HILTON PRESS CONFERENCE ON JAN. 13

HOLLYWOOD, CA, January 7, 2008 – The Hollywood Foreign Press Association today announced that the recipients of Golden Globe Awards in 25 categories will be revealed during an hour-long HFPA press conference at The Beverly Hilton to be covered live by NBC News beginning at 6:00 pm PST on January 13. “The 65th Annual Golden Globe Awards” NBC telecast and champagne dinner in The Beverly Hilton’s International Ballroom is officially cancelled.

“We are all very disappointed that our traditional awards ceremony will not take place this year and that millions of viewers worldwide will be deprived of seeing many of their favorite stars celebrating 2007’s outstanding achievements in motion pictures and television,” said Jorge Camara, President of The Hollywood Foreign Press Association. “We take some comfort, however, in knowing that this year’s Golden Globe Award recipients will be announced on the date originally scheduled.”

I wasn't sure which Golden Globe thread to put this in.

This pretty much sucks, now I'll only see them read the winners off a list from a dumb press conference.

Let's just say it won't be pretty if this strike is still around when it's time for the Oscars.

I'm gonna miss Joan Rivers gossiping on the red carpet.

This pretty much sucks, now I'll only see them read the winners off a list from a dumb press conference.

Let's just say it won't be pretty if this strike is still around when it's time for the Oscars.

I'm gonna miss Melissa Joan Heart gossiping on the red carpet.
I didn't know Sabrina the Teenage Witch gossiped on the red carpet?:oldrazz:

I'm gonna miss Melissa Joan Heart gossiping on the red carpet.

Imagine winning the oscar through a press conference :dry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"