A Batman Cinematic Universe?

Like I said, I do think Batman can be overexposed, but movies are only a small part of the character's history.

It doesn't seem like a fair comparison to make, and personally it's not what I first think of when I think of Batman being overdone.

Let's look at non-Iron Man Marvel characters who have gotten their own movie since 2008:

Hulk
Thor (2 movies)
Captain America (3 movies)
Ant-man
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy

Let's look at non-Bat DC characters who have had their own movie since 2008:

Watchmen
Green Lantern
Jonah Hex
Superman
Suicide Squad

That's almost double, unless I'm missing some.

Also, just look at each studios upcoming slate and see how many Bat-characters they've got coming down the pipe.

Suicide Squad is technically a Batman thing

Joker, Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Amanda Waller

All Batman related villains

So is Croc.

Katana is often associated with Batman and the Outsiders.

So?

It's not all about Batman himself.

So is Croc.

Katana is often associated with Batman and the Outsiders.

So?

It's not all about Batman himself.

Neither was Civil War all about Iron Man himself neither was his The Incredible Hulk appearance was all about Iron Man it works both ways

You're wrong. Suicide Squad has NEVER been a Batman thing. And Waller is definitely not a Batman villain. Hell Deadshot hasn't been an exclusive Batman rogue for decades.

Grasping at straws here.

Let's look at non-Iron Man Marvel characters who have gotten their own movie since 2008:

Hulk
Thor (2 movies)
Captain America (3 movies)
Ant-man
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy

Let's look at non-Bat DC characters who have had their own movie since 2008:

Watchmen
Green Lantern
Jonah Hex
Superman
Suicide Squad

That's almost double, unless I'm missing some.

Also, just look at each studios upcoming slate and see how many Bat-characters they've got coming down the pipe.

...If you're going to base your argument on that, at least use a percentage or something.

Since 2008, Iron Man has starred/heavily featured in 46% of Marvel's movie (MCU only).

Since 2008, Batman has starred/heavily featured in 50% of DC's movies.

Not a huge difference there. Just listing them off doesn't tell us anything, as Marvel has released more movies in that time frame.

Oh cool. I'll tell my sister she's already got her Flash movie then. You know, since he had a cameo in it and his villain was a main character :o

...If you're going to base your argument on that, at least use a percentage or something.

Since 2008, Iron Man has starred/heavily featured in 46% of Marvel's movie (MCU only).

Since 2008, Batman has starred/heavily featured in 50% of DC's movies.

Not a huge difference there. Just listing them off doesn't tell us anything, as Marvel has released more movies in that time frame.

That's exactly my point. Stark is the star of the MCU but we've gotten plenty of other films exploring other characters. The same can't really be said for DC as they have always been, and apparently will continue to be, focused mostly on Batman.

That's exactly my point. Stark is the star of the MCU but we've gotten plenty of other films exploring other characters. The same can't really be said for DC as they have always been, and apparently will continue to be, focused mostly on Batman.

But we're about to get plenty of DCEU films that explore other characters as well. Wonder Woman is coming out in less than two months, and Aquaman is in production. As far as I know, Flash, Cyborg, Green Lantern Corps, MoS2, Shazam/Black Adam, and Suicide Squad 2 are all planned. Justice League Dark has a script and a director attached. If these films do well, there's no reason to think they won't get sequels.

The DCEU is just starting out, so it's not really a fair comparison to make in my opinion.

LOL.

Yeah, MoS really explored Batman, Suicide squad REALLY explored Batman, i'm so glad that 30 second scene with him in it added so much depth too him..oh and WW will too for sure explore Batman.

Oh wait..

Maybe your talking prior to the DCU...

Green Lantern REALLY explored Batman, Superman Returns was basically a batman movie, Jonah hex was a wild west that some how had batman in it.

I mean you could argue about the animated universe..that would probably be a legitimate argument...but the actual universe..there is literally NOTHING to say that its all about Batman.

3/9 Movies since 2008 have starred batman.

The Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight Rises.

Batman vs Superman.

THATS IT.

That's 33%.

LOL.

Yeah, MoS really explored Batman, Suicide squad REALLY explored Batman, i'm so glad that 30 second scene with him in it added so much depth too him..oh and WW will too for sure explore Batman.

Oh wait..

Maybe your talking prior to the DCU...

Green Lantern REALLY explored Batman, Superman Returns was basically a batman movie, Jonah hex was a wild west that some how had batman in it.

I mean you could argue about the animated universe..that would probably be a legitimate argument...but the actual universe..there is literally NOTHING to say that its all about Batman.

3/9 Movies since 2008 have starred batman.

The Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight Rises.

Batman vs Superman.

THATS IT.

That's 33%.

I never said that DC only makes Batman related films. My point was that Marvel has done a better job of exploring their vast library of superheroes than WB, who has always put Batman and his world in the spotlight over his superhero peers. This came up when someone tried to compare Iron Man's prominence in the MCU to Batman's.

but the actual universe..there is literally NOTHING to say that its all about Batman.

Nope. Batman was the "break glass in case of emergency" when MoS came in below expectations, and he has appeared in both DCEU films since, one of which was a movie about his rogues gallery. He's now leading and forming the Justice League. Once BvS came in below expectations they pushed back JL 2 in favor of his solo film. They have since announced a few more movies starring his supporting cast (Batgirl and Nightwing) as well as a couple more movies about his villains. Yes, there is a lot to say that it's all about Batman. I'm well aware of what other characters are finally getting their (long-overdue) big screen debut, but their bread and butter is still front and center.

Last edited:
Mcu fans do not realise Marvel and DC comics are fundamentally different.

Batman Family is central to the DC universe. Its a fact and evolved over decades. Look at the line up of DC comics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Rebirth and no reason why the movie side should stray away from this composition.

Marvel feels very 'diverse' to mcu fans because.....lets be honest, if Fox and Sony didnt own xmen and spidey, Marvel wont even take a shot at Doctor Strange or Black Panther.

Before accusing dc for making 'meat and potato' movie, imagine if marvel didnt sell its properties at all, when would we see a Doctor Strange movie? 2036?

Last edited:
Yeah - I never understand that - like so far technically every MCU film has been about the avengers...with the exception being Guardians of the Galaxy...which will still show up in the next avengers movie.

So the DCU has to go two routes they have this expansive batman/gotham universe, that has so many interesting characters and developments, and they have the great DC universe that is just as interesting and has huge amounts of story development and can get away from majority of the overpowered beings that are much more present in the JL stories.

I think thats awesome they have two too choose from, heck I'd even like it if they add the third with the paranormal aspect and have justice league dark into the mix.

No one has ever denied that Batman is integral to the DC universe, just that it's high time WB stopped churning out Batman-related films in favor of showcasing the rest of the DC universe. I'm pleased that they are looking to finally do more with their other characters but looking at what they have in development, Batman's continued prominence in the DCEU is a legitimate gripe.

Yeah - I never understand that - like so far technically every MCU film has been about the avengers...with the exception being Guardians of the Galaxy...which will still show up in the next avengers movie.

I'd rather every DCEU film be about the Justice League than one character.

'So the DCU has to go two routes they have this expansive batman/gotham universe, that has so many interesting characters and developments, and they have the great DC universe that is just as interesting and has huge amounts of story development and can get away from majority of the overpowered beings that are much more present in the JL stories.'

Remind me of another fundamental difference between dc and marvel --- DC has established more legacy characters than marvel.

Batman has Batgirl, Nightwing, Batwoman. Superman has Supergirl, Superboy, Superwoman.... Iron Man, Thor or Captain America have none. Spidey and wolverine has some but so far only one version of each exists in movies.

In other words, marvel doesnt make a Irongirl or Ironboy movie not because they want to do more with other line of heroes, but because they cant.

Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America all have legacy characters so there goes that argument.

I'm not understanding what the issue is here. Is it really so weird that some of us want to see more DC characters that aren't bat-related?

like... Ironheart, Lady Thor, Sam Wilson? lol

If its acknowledged Batman family is central to DC comics universe, why is it so difficult to accept more bat-related movies. And, many other dc characters are inevitably linked to bats. Watch 'Arrow'.

No one has ever denied that Batman is integral to the DC universe, just that it's high time WB stopped churning out Batman-related films in favor of showcasing the rest of the DC universe. I'm pleased that they are looking to finally do more with their other characters but looking at what they have in development, Batman's continued prominence in the DCEU is a legitimate gripe.

I'd rather every DCEU film be about the Justice League than one character.

I don't think it is in favour of showcasing their other characters though. I think it's in addition to, so I don't see it as a problem.

'So the DCU has to go two routes they have this expansive batman/gotham universe, that has so many interesting characters and developments, and they have the great DC universe that is just as interesting and has huge amounts of story development and can get away from majority of the overpowered beings that are much more present in the JL stories.'

Remind me of another fundamental difference between dc and marvel --- DC has established more legacy characters than marvel.

Batman has Batgirl, Nightwing, Batwoman. Superman has Supergirl, Superboy, Superwoman.... Iron Man, Thor or Captain America have none. Spidey and wolverine has some but so far only one version of each exists in movies.

In other words, marvel doesnt make a Irongirl or Ironboy movie not because they want to do more with other line of heroes, but because they cant.

Another fundamental difference between Marvel and DC:

Nearly all of the DC characters are born with superpowers (with the exceptions of Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Arrow).

Marvel characters had to create their powers through chemicals (Captain America, Inhumans), radiation (Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, Fantastic 4), technology (Iron Man, Ant Man), and magic (Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider). Some are born with superpowers (X-Men, Thor, Blade) while others don't have any powers at all (Daredevil, Punisher, Guardians of the Galaxy).

In short, DC characters are more godlike while Marvel characters are more humanlike.

like... Ironheart, Lady Thor, Sam Wilson? lol

And several others. So what was that earlier about Marvel not doing legacy characters because they can't?
If its acknowledged Batman family is central to DC comics universe, why is it so difficult to accept more bat-related movies.

Because we've been already been getting that. There are plenty of other characters central to the DC comics universe that have not been given a chance. This is a very simple concept. You clearly don't agree with it but surely you can at least recognize why some of us feel this way; just look at how this poll is shaping up.

And several others. So what was that earlier about Marvel not doing legacy characters because they can't?

They have no where the legacy characters DC has..the fact that many would consider Robin much bigger than War Machine (ya know Ironman [marvels titular character]) that there isn't even a comparison between the two.

Because we've been already been getting that. There are plenty of other characters central to the DC comics universe that have not been given a chance. This is a very simple concept. You clearly don't agree with it but surely you can at least recognize why some of us feel this way; just look at how this poll is shaping up.

Wait...Robin has shown up in 2 movies, nightwing has "somewhat" shown up in the atrocity of "Batman & Robin", and you are saying we've been getting just a focus on Batman?

Maybe your hoping that DC pulls out a big hit like the dark knight for another character..and thats a reasonable statement..I'd love for another DC film on the same caliber as a "Dark Knight", hell I'd love for any movie to be on the same caliber, but the only other studio I felt that even came close to that was Fox with Logan.

Those movies are rare gems, they age well, have a very versatile audience, and the acting and characters are incredibly on point, the score is good.

I'd love for a superman film to hit "The Dark Knight" heights, I just don't see it happening anytime soon..just like I don't see a spider-man doing that either or even Ironman.

They have no where the legacy characters DC has..the fact that many would consider Robin much bigger than War Machine (ya know Ironman [marvels titular character]) that there isn't even a comparison between the two.

He said Marvel could never do any legacy characters because they don't have any, which is categorically incorrect. Marvels ability to take any C-list character and turn them into a franchise (like Scott Lang, who actually is a legacy character) show that they can basically do whatever they'd like. You're now making a different, unrelated point.

Wait...Robin has shown up in 2 movies, nightwing has "somewhat" shown up in the atrocity of "Batman & Robin", and you are saying we've been getting just a focus on Batman?

Maybe your hoping that DC pulls out a big hit like the dark knight for another character..and thats a reasonable statement..I'd love for another DC film on the same caliber as a "Dark Knight", hell I'd love for any movie to be on the same caliber, but the only other studio I felt that even came close to that was Fox with Logan.

Those movies are rare gems, they age well, have a very versatile audience, and the acting and characters are incredibly on point, the score is good.

I'd love for a superman film to hit "The Dark Knight" heights, I just don't see it happening anytime soon..just like I don't see a spider-man doing that either or even Ironman.

Again, you're now talking about something different so I don't know what your point is. What does this have to do with a Batman extended universe?

Another fundamental difference between Marvel and DC:

Nearly all of the DC characters are born with superpowers (with the exceptions of Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Arrow).

Not throughout the DC universe. Maybe the core Justice Leaguers, though even Superman, while being born different/alien, was not born with "powers", but rather developed them as a result of his alien physiology.

Marvel characters had to create their powers through chemicals (Captain America, Inhumans), radiation (Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, Fantastic 4), technology (Iron Man, Ant Man), and magic (Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider). Some are born with superpowers (X-Men, Thor, Blade) while others don't have any powers at all (Daredevil, Punisher, Guardians of the Galaxy).

There are dozens and dozens of characters in the DC Universe who have similar origins to the Marvel ones you listed, and more varied origins as well. Magic, training, technology, chemical accidents, other scientific accidents...

In short, DC characters are more godlike while Marvel characters are more humanlike.

The Justice League characters are more "godlike". Not the entire DCU.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"