A Batman Cinematic Universe?

I see what you guys are saying, but I just don't find the idea of a cinematic universe centered around any one character appealing. I feel like most (if not all) of what's being proposed here could be accomplished within the context of a much wider cinematic universe. But I do understand the appeal and I hope we see an expansion of the Bat mythology one day.

Batman is the one they are centring things on because he is the easiest one for the general audience to relate to. He's not an alien, he's not a god. He's just a man trying to keep his city safe. While I might not like Ben Affleck's Batman, I'm excited for all the movies coming off of it.

He's definitely the most popular, and that's why things are shifting toward him (and have been for years and years) but--

Batman is the one they are centring things on because he is the easiest one for the general audience to relate to. He's not an alien, he's not a god. He's just a man trying to keep his city safe. While I might not like Ben Affleck's Batman, I'm excited for all the movies coming off of it.

-- that doesn't make a lick of sense.

He's definitely the most popular, and that's why things are shifting toward him (and have been for years and years) but--

The general audience can have some trouble getting behind things if it's completely "out there". It's not as bad as it used to be but it's something that used to be more of an issue. It's why Batman has gotten more love than Superman from general audience. People love the underdog and that's Batman. While Superman has his own struggles, his powers make them seem like not as big of a worry. It also helps that Batman's universe/world is more well known compared to any of the other DC comic titles. I'm not behind it fully but I do get why they might want to branch off with Batman films first.

Last edited:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixen

What about that doesn't make sense?

So a 4 chan rumor is spreading around that in 2019

The Batman
Nightwing
Batgirl
Sirens

Will all release in the same year for the character's 80th anniversary

This is over kill but would it be a bad thing ? Get it all done in one go so that the DCEU can move on from Batman stuff that would be a positive

The Batman
Nightwing
Batgirl
Sirens

This is over kill but would it be a bad thing ? Get it all done in one go so that the DCEU can move on from Batman stuff that would be a positive

Just seen that. There's also supposedly an animated version of The Long Halloween in the works too.

Just seen that. There's also supposedly an animated version of The Long Halloween in the works too.

I would not mind this at all if only because it gets all of the Batman movies out of the way quicker just let Batman have his year & move on quickly from the bastard

The Batman
Nightwing
Batgirl
Sirens

If true then that would be pretty cool. I hope all three movies have some kind of interconnected story.

I just got threes on my brain today.
tumblr_lgu9huN7Wg1qho3amo1_500.jpg

The Batman
Nightwing
Batgirl
Sirens

4chan isnt legit though.

The general audience can have some trouble getting behind things if it's completely "out there". It's not as bad as it used to be but it's something that used to be more of an issue. It's why Batman has gotten more love than Superman from general audience. People love the underdog and that's Batman. While Superman has his own struggles, his powers make them seem like not as big of a worry. It also helps that Batman's universe/world is more well known compared to any of the other DC comic titles. I'm not behind it fully but I do get why they might want to branch off with Batman films first.

What about that doesn't make sense?

Because that's not how it works. I've said stuff like this before, but--

Let's be realistic-- Batman, James Bond, John McClane, The Karate Kid kid-- no matter how much the odds are stacked against them, or how much they bleed when they get hit, the audience knows full well that they're going to win. No matter how much better equipped the bad guys are, these "average joe" heroes tend to be hyper-competent anyway. Superman's got flight, super strength and speed etc etc... But Batman's a ninja, a scientist, a genius engineer and inventor, a multi-billionaire etc etc. McClane (Mr. Everyman, according to popular consensus) can take on 20+ terrorists every few years (practically by himself), take more punishment than anyone else, figure things out that every other cop in the city can't... and always come out on top.

Same with Superman, and Thor and whichever other hyper-powerful characters are out there. What makes these movies successful is how well-rounded the characters are, how charming or interesting they are, how successful and engaging the rest of the movie around them is.

You don't get points for just being "an underdog story"*, nor for either being grounded or out there-- these factors have there benefits, there drawbacks and are definitely important considerations, yes, but ultimately it's about being well-written and well-made.

A bunch of Superman (and Batman, and Die Hard and Rocky) movies (and comics, and books, and cartoons) haven't been well-received because they haven't been well-made. And the ones that have been are the ones that made them icons.

There's nothing intrinsically saying Batman will forever be more well liked than Superman (other than maybe dark brooders being a bit of an easier sell). Superman was far and away the more popular of the two for the first fifty or so years. He just needs a few good movies to get everyone back on side. NOTE: We're acting like Superman's hated, but he's still absolutely beloved-- just not as much as Batman, and not necessarily as well understood (which comes right back to years of poor writing).

*I put underdog story in quotes because, I mean... I can't think of a story that isn't and underdog story in some way? I mean, lowly amateur Rocky must hold his own against the undefeated champ, sure... but Superman has to fight three super-villains who have all his powers! Batman's back is broken and terrorists are going to blow up the city! Thor's hammer is shattered and he's been thrown into gladiatorial combat! Lincoln might not get the support he needs to end slavery! It's more a marketing type than any kind of specific story. It's up to the filmmakers to create great adversity for the hero and for the marketers to sell it.

@titansupes...

I was querying why you thought this didn't make any sense, not about whether or not the characters are underdogs.

@titansupes...

I was querying why you thought this didn't make any sense, not about whether or not the characters are underdogs.

It's all tied together for me. I have another long post somewhere about the whole "relatability" thing being taken the wrong way. I can try to find it when I get home.

I'm not even really opposed to it. I actually sort of prefer when Batman stays separate from the larger DCU, because I feel like writers like to overcompensate for him because he's popular to the point where he's the best fighter/strategist/martial artist/whatever and is more prepared to kill Superman if he goes evil than stopping villains who are currently evil from breaking out.

But I'm a bigger Superman fan, and in general it annoys me that DC can't seem to get successful stuff out that doesn't revolve around Batman. The only video game Superman's been in lately is one where he's evil and Batman is the good guy. And in the movies he gets like 40 lines and then dies.

But I'm a bigger Superman fan, and in general it annoys me that DC can't seem to get successful stuff out that doesn't revolve around Batman. The only video game Superman's been in lately is one where he's evil and Batman is the good guy. And in the movies he gets like 40 lines and then dies.

I'm a decades-long Batman fan but I sympathise with fans of the other characters. I see the business reasoning behind so much Batman-focused material but it would be great to see more of the less-featured characters. Wonder Woman is actually the DCEU movie I'm most looking forward to and from what we've seen in the trailer I'd love to see Aquaman get a trilogy of his own (something I never thought I'd say, tbh).

Last edited:
I think overall, a Batman DCEU would be kind of backwards from the DCU already started.

Although to be fair the Batman vs. Superman kind ambushed the Superman sequel in hindsight so just kind meh at the moment for various reasons.

Ummm...I'm sure someone's already said it but there already has been a Batman Cinematic universe, from 1989-1997 and then a different one from 2005-2012.

And now there's another one starting......

So really, it's like a Batman cinematic multiverse.

I think Batman lends himself better to re-interpretation and reinvention than any other comic book character except maybe Spider Man. A great concept can survive a few crappy versions.

The Batman
Nightwing
Batgirl
Sirens

NArTB4Z.png

Last edited:
Regarding the whole "Batman shows up to often" complaint, serious question, do Marvel fans complain about Iron Man showing up all the time in those movies?

Regarding the whole "Batman shows up to often" complaint, serious question, do Marvel fans complain about Iron Man showing up all the time in those movies?
I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, but I avoid the hell out of the Homecoming board because of this.

But with Batman for me, it's not just movies. It really does feel rare to me to see DC media where Batman or at least a Batman character doesn't always play a major part. And certainly, in a crossover universe you should get to see all these characters. But Spider-Man is Marvel's biggest character, and even with Marvel getting back all the rights you still don't see him in Avengers cartoons.

A lot of my dislike for Batman's exposure in the larger DC universe came from closer to the Justice League cartoon, where a lot of fans had this running joke of the League just being "Batman and his b****es" and how everyone was scared of the "Bat-glare" and for a while it honestly just turned me off from Batman completely because it felt like none of these other characters could get any respect as long as Batman was in the room with them.

1 Phase One

1.1 Iron Man (2008)
1.2 The Incredible Hulk (2008) - About a 20 second scene at the end
1.3 Iron Man 2 (2010)
1.4 Thor (2011)
1.5 Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
1.6 Marvel's The Avengers (2012)

2 Phase Two

2.1 Iron Man 3 (2013)
2.2 Thor: The Dark World (2013)
2.3 Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
2.4 Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
2.5 Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
2.6 Ant-Man (2015)

3 Phase Three

3.1 Captain America: Civil War (2016)
3.2 Doctor Strange (2016)

You call this a lot ? & The Incredible Hulk should not even be counted really

Meanwhile the list of Batman Live Action is

Batman (1943)
Batman and Robin (1949)
Batman (1966) & the TV show
Batman (1989)
Batman Returns (1992)
Batman Forever (1995)
Batman & Robin (1997)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Suicide Squad (2016)
Justice League (2017)

Should I include animation ?

Meanwhile the list of Batman Live Action is

Batman (1943)
Batman and Robin (1949)
Batman (1966) & the TV show
Batman (1989)
Batman Returns (1992)
Batman Forever (1995)
Batman & Robin (1997)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Suicide Squad (2016)
Justice League (2017)

Should I include animation ?

14 times in 70+ years vs 6 times in only 9 years.

LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"