Batman Begins A Clever thing Nolan does

neobido9999

Sidekick
Reaction score
One of the biggest problems, in my view, with superhero movies, is that often it it difficult to reconcile the hero (e.g. spiderman, batman, the hulk etc) with their real identities (bruce wayne et al). Often, it can feel like (as it did with the Burton films) Batman and Bruce Wayne are two literally distionct charcters, almost occupying different movies; when batman is in action we dont fear for Bruce Wayne.

Whilst watching batman Begin, I noticed something clever Noaln does during bruce wayne scenes to help us associate his with batman:

batmanpage2.jpg

When we see Bruce going about creating his alter ego - visitng Ra's in the mountain, goign to the cave, using the underground lift to follow rachel - he's always wearing a long coat/dressing gown, almost resembling the cape - In silhouette he constantly therefore resembles his own alter ego - creating an anchor for the audience; when we later see batman, we can imagine bruce wayne under the mask.

Just a small observation, but in a movie about batmans becoming, a nice subtle technique.

nice coat. ;)

Did he begin being batman already before that scene? I haven't seen the movie in a year...

Wesyeed said:
nice coat. ;)

Did he begin being batman already before that scene? I haven't seen the movie in a year...
nope, thats shortly after he returns to gotham and he explores the cave he fell into years ago.

Nice observation, and it also has the evidence to support that theory. :up:

Very nice observation.
This "nice coat" ;) helped to maintain the character's facets, in a subtle way.

Yeah, that was clever. I'm going pop in the dvd and see it again.:up:

Yup, and Smallville actually goes to the next length in almost always having him wear a red jacket with a blue shirt, atleast when he's doing something like catching the nuke missle or something.

The thing with Bruce in the movie......you can kinda see how he IS Batman, that is....seeing what we got to see with the development....it's not like Night and Day.....we see Bats and we ultimately get "it"

But yeah, great observation.....Bruce pretty much wears something like a cloak or long jacket in a lot of scenes.

I also found it brilliant of Nolan and his writers to get the inspiration for the Batsuit with elements of the Ninja outfit the League of Shadows used.

XCharlieX said:
I also found it brilliant of Nolan and his writers to get the inspiration for the Batsuit with elements of the Ninja outfit the League of Shadows used.
Yes. The uniforms the ninja's wear at the end, also look similar to Batman's armor.

XCharlieX said:

That was good too.:batman:

Hmm, Interesting. I must watch it again and look out for that. Good spot.

So Peter parker should always be wearing red and white pajamas to reinforce that he's Spider-Man under the mask.

I think what helps us care for Bruce under the Batman mask is the great character development that occurs before he becomes Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"