A Good Day to Die Hard

I still love everything about Die Hard so I did appreciate this one, regardless of how bad it really is. It's still McClane and I'm happy to see more of it. Bruce Willis is the ****in man, no matter what.

I'm sorry but this is not McClane. I bet you could replace this character with the character that Willis plays in the upcoming GI Joe and you wouldn't notice.

Yeah it was barely McClane. It was Willis playing Mike Bored as Heck Moneygrab Apathetic Phone-In McGee, Sr.

You know what I mean though. It's still Bruce Willis portraying John McClane in a Die Hard movie based on Die Hard characters. Great or not, it's still fun to see (to some extent). I'll appreciate it for what it is, while recognizing that it's a poorly-made film that could and SHOULD have been a lot better.

Like I've said, I wish that they took a completely different approach.

You know what I mean though. It's still Bruce Willis portraying John McClane in a Die Hard movie based on Die Hard characters. Great or not, it's still fun to see (to some extent). I'll appreciate it for what it is, while recognizing that it's a poorly-made film that could and SHOULD have been a lot better.

Like I've said, I wish that they took a completely different approach.

Yes I know what your saying but there's no point in seeing Willis playing McClane if he doesn't give a ****, i did like seeing Lucy back though...

I might have missed something but how come the McClanes could walk around Chernobyl unprotected but the villains were wearing protective suits and breathing equipment??

Well, the "explanation" was that they cleaned up the place with some fluid. Just in time, as the McClane's arrived, of course. Then again, they only cleaned up the vault. Who knows? Who cares. It's brilliant!

I'm sorry but this is not McClane. I bet you could replace this character with the character that Willis plays in the upcoming GI Joe and you wouldn't notice.
What a shame. John McClane is not necessarily an action hero but an ordinary guy who gets himself into difficult and challenging situations. I'd much rather see that.

This was strictly a cash grab with no regard what-so-ever for the fans who have followed this franchise for part of four decades....the studio and director need a die hard pulled on them for putting out this insult of a film, and yes, its that bad. The first GI Joe and battleship are awesome compared to this train wreck.
Sadly, with it's low budget, it will make its money back and prompt them to make another similar to it. 2.5/10

My review

Man was this some cartoon sh**. As a Die Hard film, they just didn't understand why the original worked. It actually becomes a parody of the franchise right from the get go with the car chase. That's when I took my low expectations and turn it into a stupid action film that parodies Die Hard. By that I actually enjoyed the film a lot more, but I still wish there wasn't a father/son plot. Also from the begining you can tell it was heavily edited because they barely even show that garage unzipping scene.

6/10

So because I bought the 25th Anniversary Die Hard set from Amazon last week, I got those "Movie Bucks" to see this movie for free. Couldn't resist using them, despite my better judgement, lol.

While I think it goes without saying that this is easily the worst Die Hard movie to date, I've gotta say, going in with the lowest expectations possible certainly helps. I mean, if you go in pretending that you are NOT going to see John McClane in a Die Hard film and simply expect Random Bruce Willis Actioner #12, then it's not a horrible experience. Honestly, it's not even the worst one of those I've seen in the last year (Cold Light of Day, anyone? ...Bueller?).

But yeah, that was definitely NOT John McClane, for too many reasons to bother listing at this point. And I dunno what the hell they were thinking with the Jack character. It seemed like his entire point in the story was to tell John to shut up and doubt him at every turn just so that John could be right and look good. Which made Jack seem like the most colossally stupid CIA agent ever. How on earth could he have survived and maintained a deep cover for 3 years being such a dimwit? I like Jai Courtney from Spartacus and Jack Reacher and thought he played what he was given just fine, but unfortunately he wasn't given anything to endear the character to us at all.

That said, to end this on a more positive note, the ending was sweet. It was nice to see John finally having a warm family moment with his kids. In that small scene, I stopped pretending that the guy I was watching wasn't John McClane, because John's family has always been so important to him, so it was nice to see them finally embracing him a little.

So as a Die Hard movie, I'd rate this about 2/10. As a Random Bruce Willis Actioner: 5.5/10. Either way, glad I saw it for free, lol.

I seriously hope they ditch everyone behind-the-scenes who worked on this one for the next installment. Except Marco Beltrami. He can stay. But maybe they can get a writer/director/cinematographer, etc who've actually seen a Die Hard movie next time.

Ouch.

The film also dropped to #5 on the Box Office.

I was looking forward to the film...but I probably will skip this one. Not worth the $11.00 risk to me.

Maybe a rental. These are the most damning reviews I've seen for a sequel to a successful franchise, honestly. 'The Phantom Menace' got a less negative reception.
:csad:

So because I bought the 25th Anniversary Die Hard set from Amazon last week, I got those "Movie Bucks" to see this movie for free. Couldn't resist using them, despite my better judgement, lol.

While I think it goes without saying that this is easily the worst Die Hard movie to date, I've gotta say, going in with the lowest expectations possible certainly helps. I mean, if you go in pretending that you are NOT going to see John McClane in a Die Hard film and simply expect Random Bruce Willis Actioner #12, then it's not a horrible experience. Honestly, it's not even the worst one of those I've seen in the last year (Cold Light of Day, anyone? ...Bueller?).

But yeah, that was definitely NOT John McClane, for too many reasons to bother listing at this point. And I dunno what the hell they were thinking with the Jack character. It seemed like his entire point in the story was to tell John to shut up and doubt him at every turn just so that John could be right and look good. Which made Jack seem like the most colossally stupid CIA agent ever. How on earth could he have survived and maintained a deep cover for 3 years being such a dimwit? I like Jai Courtney from Spartacus and Jack Reacher and thought he played what he was given just fine, but unfortunately he wasn't given anything to endear the character to us at all.

That said, to end this on a more positive note, the ending was sweet. It was nice to see John finally having a warm family moment with his kids. In that small scene, I stopped pretending that the guy I was watching wasn't John McClane, because John's family has always been so important to him, so it was nice to see them finally embracing him a little.

So as a Die Hard movie, I'd rate this about 2/10. As a Random Bruce Willis Actioner: 5.5/10. Either way, glad I saw it for free, lol.

I seriously hope they ditch everyone behind-the-scenes who worked on this one for the next installment. Except Marco Beltrami. He can stay. But maybe they can get a writer/director/cinematographer, etc who've actually seen a Die Hard movie next time.

I agree about the last scene, that was the best part of the movie...

Eesh, that terrible Escape From Planet Earth Movie had a better holdover than Die Hard.

1. Identity Thief (Universal) Week 3 [Runs 3,222]
Friday $4.0M, Saturday $6.6M, Weekend $14.0M, Cume $93.6M

2. Snitch (Summit/Lionsgate) NEW [Runs 2,511]
Friday $4.1M, Saturday $5.6M, Weekend $12.8M

3. Escape From Planet Earth 3D (Weinstein) Week 2 [Runs 3,353]
Friday $2.3M, Saturday $5.2M, Weekend $11.1M, Cume $35.2M

4. Safe Haven (Relativity) Week 2 [3,223]
Friday $3.5M, Saturday $4.7M, Weekend $10.7M, Cume $48.2M

5. A Good Day To Die Hard (Fox) Week 2 [Runs 3,555]
Friday $2.8M, Saturday $4.7M, Weekend $9.7M, Cume $51.5M

Its not surprising for a number of reason but lets not go there and say the movie deserves to drop like brick cause its sucks. :o

Its pulled in $132 million internationally.

I agree about the last scene, that was the best part of the movie...

My only issue with it was that the movie didn't earn it and it felt like it was shot by someone else from another movie, kinda like putting a bow on a turd.

I saw this flick last week and thought it was decent...

It surely wasnt a legendary new action film on par with Ghost Protocol or anything..but not the 15% RT bomb i was expecting from the critics...

It was about a 6 or 7/10 for fans like me...not an elite or outstanding film, but not horrid.

I do agree Willis phoned in a lot of the film, but the action was non-stop...and basically i left feeling i got some level of my money's worth.

they cut out the girl's strip scene! WTF... what a loser movie

a-good-day-to-die-hard-blu.jpg

Special Features:

Disc 1: Blu-ray

● Disc 1: Blu-ray
○ Extended Cut of the Film
○ Deleted Scenes
■ Jack Scopes Out Courthouse
■ Collins Gets Approval to Move
■ John McClane Original Introduction
■ Russian Girls on Plane
■ Safe House Intrusion
■ Gun Store
■ Fight with Anton
○ Making it Hard to Die
■ Introduction
■ Stunts
■ Helicopters and Aerial
■ Special Effects
■ Motion Base
■ Armoury
■ Russia and Budapest
■ The Look of the Movie
■ Chernobyl
■ Camera Work
■ Editorial Los Angeles
■ Color Grading
■ Visual Effects
■ Film Scoring
■ Wrap Up
○ Anatomy of a Car Chase
○ Two of a Kind
○ Back in Action
○ The New Face of Evil
○ Pre-vis
■ Cold Opening
■ Cold Opening
■ Truck Chase
○ VFX Sequences
○ Stills: Gallery
■ Storyboards
■ Concept Art
○ Theatrical trailers
○ Commentary by Director John Moore and First Assistant Director Mark Cotone
○ Maximum McClane
● Disc 2: DVD & Digital Copy (Film only) http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03...rd-on-blu-ray?abthid=5152244d270e7a0e21000017

Last edited:
More than likely, I'll buy it. I own the first 4, and this one's grown on me. Plus, extended cut.

I wonder if the extended cut is the exact cut the director mentioned. I forgot where, but even the director complained about how he was forced to trim down on areas of the chase sequence. Forgot why. Just hope it's that cut.

I wonder how much longer the extended cut is, and I hope it breathes more life into the film and its characters.

All I know is that the extended cut better have whatsherface getting fully undressed in the parking lot. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"