A Good Day to Die Hard

I wonder if the extended cut is the exact cut the director mentioned. I forgot where, but even the director complained about how he was forced to trim down on areas of the chase sequence. Forgot why. Just hope it's that cut.

What so the chase scene is even longer and more ridiculous? :csad:

I enjoyed it. I didn't have the highest expectations, though. As an action film, it delivered sporadically. But yes, it did feel like it was heavily edited from a much longer cut. The female villain in it was hot as hell, though, and made my experience sitting in the theater uncomfortable and awkward.

But that's the thing: Die Hard 5 will always be known as 'The one Die Hard that's just kinda there, kinda enjoyable... but I'll buy it just to complete my Collection."

But that's the thing: Die Hard 5 will always be known as 'The one Die Hard that's just kinda there, kinda enjoyable... but I'll buy it just to complete my Collection."

Well, I feel the same way about Die Hard 2. It felt completely recycled from the first film. And half the movie looked like it was just washed in...red. Everything was red. And Dennis Franz annoyed the piss out of me.

According to a thread on the imdb boards the EC is only 1 minute longer and Moore lied outta his ass about the length of the EC.

If that is case, I buy the bare bones dvd. I rather not buy the Blu Ray combo pack. I like my dvd collection, see no reason to upgrade to Blu-ray for DH series.

What so the chase scene is even longer and more ridiculous? :csad:

I wouldn't call the chase scene ridiculous just the angles didn't allow you to see what was going on. Evidently, only god knows why, that's what Fox wanted - a chase scene without knowing where we are in it.

I wouldn't call the chase scene ridiculous just the angles didn't allow you to see what was going on. Evidently, only god knows why, that's what Fox wanted - a chase scene without knowing where we are in it.

From what I heard the budget didn't allow them to shoot what they needed so they relied on shaky cam and quick cuts to hide the gaps. It could be BS tho.

Last edited:
From what I heard the budget didn't allow them to shoot what they needed so they relied on shaky cam and quick cuts to hide the gaps. It could be BS tho.

I think that's BS because the director talked about that portion being made a lot clearer in what he was forced to cut out.

I remember because it's one of the few times I've ever heard a director come out and say, "yeah, that scene sucked -- but it was because we had to cut so and so out of it."

I was going to see this last weekend. But then I decided against it. The reviews are so harsh and universal that I didn’t want to waste my money. It’s a short runtime and they’re talking about an extended cut? What a mess. Just release the full thing in the first place.

I think that's BS because the director talked about that portion being made a lot clearer in what he was forced to cut out.

I remember because it's one of the few times I've ever heard a director come out and say, "yeah, that scene sucked -- but it was because we had to cut so and so out of it."

I guess we will have to wait for the extended cut to see for sure, but maybe he should't have shot such a long chase in the first place. It seems like he let it get too big, and then Fox chopped it to hell.

If the extended cut means more of that nonsense that was DH5, then PLEASE bring it on! And I want the chopper helix to decapitate the Lenin statue this time!

Just watched this. Sweet jesus. I love 1, like 2, really like 3 and I thought 4 was a pretty damn good time. This was just bad.

I really don't see why they had to slap the "Die Hard" label on here! The action was stupid as was the plot... and the characters... and the dialogue. After hearing all the crap about Willis lately I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that he wasn't that bad but holy cow he has to approve the script and the director! Willis has lost what Die Hard was just as much as anyone else.

All I want is one more Die Hard. 1 last outing.
-Bring back the whole McLane Clan.
-Directed by someone good not some hack studio director like John Moore. Rian Johnson (Looper) would be great but I think he's kind of a pipedream, or Joe Carnahan (The Grey, The A Team) would be awesome. He knows how to direct a good action movie.
-A good damn script. I mean seriously why the f*** is Skip Woods even allowed to write anymore. I mean I guess the movies he writes make good money, but why not get a writer who is good AND who makes money
-Give McLane his personality back
-A good villain
-A good definitive ending to the whole series

I dont think that's too much to ask for.

AND I dont care what anyone says "Old Habits, Die Hard" would be a cool title

EDIT: AND ONE MORE THING dont send Mclane to Japan, Russia or where ever. Keep him in the US for the majority of the film

Last edited:
One more SMALL Die Hard film would be fine for me. Look at 1, 2, 3. It was never an action film with 15 minute long action sequences involving fighter jets and Apache hellicopters. It had brutal fist fights and a McClane that felt a goddamn punch and didn't jump from a massive building without attaching a rope first. It as also tense!

But that wont happen. The studio would feel that is a step back and audiences are now used to the balls out action the modern films have provided.

The trick is to get McClane in an unwanted situation, without this James Bond *****. Like Deserana says, a small film. Bring back some of the suspense aspect of the franchise.

One more SMALL Die Hard film would be fine for me. Look at 1, 2, 3. It was never an action film with 15 minute long action sequences involving fighter jets and Apache hellicopters. It had brutal fist fights and a McClane that felt a goddamn punch and didn't jump from a massive building without attaching a rope first. It as also tense!

But that wont happen. The studio would feel that is a step back and audiences are now used to the balls out action the modern films have provided.

I wouldnt mind a small film. But at the same time I woulndt mind a film that's bigger in scale as long as it's as personal as the first 2 was. That being said I dont want it too crazy.

Unfortunately I dont think that it'll happen either. Unless Willis demands some more creative control and gets the studio to hire some good people`

I think a cruise ship would be a great setting for the final film. John could be on vacation(much like the first two films) and gets himself into another situation. Him on a boat with a bunch of terrorists, surrounded by water, is just asking for trouble.

I think a cruise ship would be a great setting for the final film. John could be on vacation(much like the first two films) and gets himself into another situation. Him on a boat with a bunch of terrorists, surrounded by water, is just asking for trouble.

That was the original plot of Die Hard With a Vengeance but the script was scrapped and it became Speed 2: Cruise Control.

What is missing most from the later entries is the sense of Mclane being a regular guy. Not a Sly/Arnie super-man type. I still maintain the reason the first film is such a classic is encapsulated by the moment in the film right before the roof is blow. "Please God, don't let me die." THAT'S the essence of John Mclane's appeal!! He's a wise ass, sure, but he was in way over his head and they let the audience know it. He was perhaps the most down to Earth 80's action hero in the first movie. Then Bruno's star rises, the studio wants a sequel, and John becomes some cardboard stock character.

I still haven't wasted my time to see this. Making such a movie in the first place is lazy and disrespectful to the audience, but it's another thing to slap it on an established franchise people used to have respect for. I wonder what the director thought when he sat down to watch it?
The trick is to get McClane in an unwanted situation, without this James Bond *****. Like Deserana says, a small film. Bring back some of the suspense aspect of the franchise.
Indeed. McClane isn’t Bond. He’s a guy who gets into situation, adapts to it and ultimately outlasts the enemy. That’s best represented in a contained environment like a building or airport. I quite enjoy the third movie, but it started the trend of run and gun. With Die Hard I prefer a slow burn.

I think they shouldnt do a "trapped in a location" story for a film. Maybe for the third act but not for the full film

It literally almost pains me to say that the worst movie I've gone to see this year so far has been a Die Hard movie ... Le sigh.

I only want a sequel because this piece of trash movie can't be the ending to an otherwise solid movie franchise.

If another Die Hard movie is made, I agree with what everyone has said: Less is more, and give McClane his personality and vulnerability back.

I was expecting an awesome film with Die Hard 5 & it was a big time let down. I only bought the thing to complete my Die Hard set & it's so bad, that I sometimes use it as a coaster. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"