• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A List Marvel Superheroes

Morbo

Civilian
Reaction score
What are the chances of solo television series ever happening for big name Marvel heroes like The Avengers?

Similar to DC's Krypton/Gotham, will we ever see shows featuring Cap or Iron Man?

Ever? Maybe. But whilst the MCU is going strong I think the characters will stick with the big screen.

Two follow up questions based on those responses:

1. Would not such series create more revenue for them?
2. If a solo series is out of the question, how about substantial cameos in other shows? I know there are people who are clamoring for big appearances on AoS so thoughts?

Two follow up questions based on those responses:

1. Would not such series create more revenue for them?
2. If a solo series is out of the question, how about substantial cameos in other shows? I know there are people who are clamoring for big appearances on AoS so thoughts?

1. Short-term I'm sure it would. But I think Marvel would want to be careful of overexposure of the characters. They wouldn't want to dampen the excitement and expectation that builds during the 'wait' period between movies.

2. I don't follow AoS but I know there are fans clamoring for Chris Evans' Cap to turn up, etc. I think that could work so long as it was done sparingly. They wouldn't want to overshadow the lead characters who actually carry the AoS series. Whether or not Evans etc would want to do occasional small-screen appearances, I don't know. SLJ did make an appearance as Nick Fury, so who knows.

1. Short-term I'm sure it would. But I think Marvel would want to be careful of overexposure of the characters. They wouldn't want to dampen the excitement and expectation that builds during the 'wait' period between movies.

2. I don't follow AoS but I know there are fans clamoring for Chris Evans' Cap to turn up, etc. I think that could work so long as it was done sparingly. They wouldn't want to overshadow the lead characters who actually carry the AoS series. Whether or not Evans etc would want to do occasional small-screen appearances, I don't know. SLJ did make an appearance as Nick Fury, so who knows.

I think if given the option for the movie stars to show up like guest on The Love Boat or Fantasy Island they would be fine with the agents serving to introduce that big name guest and serve as a story linking device. Even those characters who are not the title ones like Nick Fury Maria Hill and the guest starring role that Jaime Alexander did as Lady Sif did earlier.

But that's not going to happen and it seems that any character someone has said he might have plans for won't appear because it is all connected and they don't want an ABC story to get in the way of a Disney $2 billion movie.. However as a bone to ABC a legacy character's power set and back story might appear under some new name.

We’ve had a few xmen type ones? They count

They don't even feature the A list X-Men and those shows mostly feature made for Tv characters.

Anyway its not gonna happen. Marvel TV shows are extremely limited in terms of action, visual effects and don't even take advantage of the hundreds of villains that they could use in their shows. We are already entering Daredevil season 3, and the only villain they have adapted is Kingpin (two if you count Elektra) and I don't even know if the characters of the Hand originated from the comics. A full 13 episode of Spider-Ma would probably just feature 1 villain and you'd get the iconic Spidey costume in the season finale's final 20 minutes. They are extremely slow in pacing as well.

We’ve had a few xmen type ones? They count

The reason they do not count is because I am saying solo series, not ensemble cast things like X-Men shows are. I mean something like The Defenders where each member has their own series that builds to the first season of the X-Men program.

I feel like giving Wolverine a solo series is the next logical step in his lore. I mean he has had his own solo films, ensemble films, and what amount to Elseworlds stories with Old Man Logan. Why not give him the green light for a series?

1. Short-term I'm sure it would. But I think Marvel would want to be careful of overexposure of the characters. They wouldn't want to dampen the excitement and expectation that builds during the 'wait' period between movies. It does not seem like it would be that logical to be afraid of overexposure of the characters when people can get as much of the character as they want with the comics. I am also not sure if "excitement" is the word I would use except for events like 'Infinity War'. I mean during my waiting between Luke Cage and Luke Cage II I have pretty much just forgotten about it and preoccupied my time with something else.

Absolutely. I never meant to propose a main stay role for a character like Captain America, but Shield is of course battling HYDRA, a main Cap antagonist, it would make sense for him to show up there. I do not see why Evans would oppose doing small screen things it would mean more exposure and money for him. Nick Fury is the director of S.H.I.E.L.D., I feel like his appearances are contractual obligations. I simply mean that, especially after 5 seasons of AoS, I do not think any one would blame them if they started bringing in other characters. Not to cheapen anything, but to enhance it.

It does not seem like it would be that logical to be afraid of overexposure of the characters when people can get as much of the character as they want with the comics.

I don't think availability of comics would lead to an overexposure that would impact on the movies. And of course there are plenty of people who watch live-action CB movies/TV shows that don't actually read the comics.

Perhaps but by the same token I don't think the availability of more media featuring certain characters would have any impact on the movies.

As for the people who don't read the comics, would it not follow that the executives should assume their viewers are the ones following the comics? Where does it get them assuming that their audience is, for lack of a better phrase, ill-informed?

I just don't see how the "overexposure" argument works rationally.

I think that two forms of live-action entertainment featuring the same characters could certainly impact on each other.

And I don't see execs assuming that viewers are following the comics. Comic book readers account for only a small percentage of total CBM audiences. That doesn't make those audiences 'ill-informed' about anything except comic books - which they don't need to know about to enjoy and understand the movies.

I doubt it. Audiences are always insulted when they hear that content creators underestimate them so much that they can't possibly separate two different mediums that are inherently separate to begin with.

There is no reason for execs not to assume this. You assume that your audience is the most informed, that makes far more sense than anything else. Where is your source on that small percentage bit? I doubt that is true.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on the first point.

As to the second, do you honestly think that the bulk of those box office millions/billions is generated by comic book readers?

TV shows don't generate the revenue a film does. So this won't happen anytime soon. Not for the guaranteed money makers.

As to the second, do you honestly think that the bulk of those box office millions/billions is generated by comic book readers?

Yeah. This market is pretty niche, if you are not Batman, Superman, or Cap I doubt the bulk of general audiences cares or even knows very much about you at all. General audiences accounting for most of the money made off a superhero film sounds incredibly unlikely.

Yeah. This market is pretty niche, if you are not Batman, Superman, or Cap I doubt the bulk of general audiences cares or even knows very much about you at all. General audiences accounting for most of the money made off a superhero film sounds incredibly unlikely.

I'm going to quote from a guy who pretty much summed it up in another thread (some of his text has been bolded by me),

No, you don't. You think you do, but you don't.

Decisions on whether to make movies or not is not based on what hardcore fans want. It's not based on anecdotal evidence about how lots of people you know are still talking about the DCEU.

Newsflash - you, me, and all of those who spend time discussing this stuff is a tiny, tiny part of the overall movie going audience across the world. While movie companies would like us to approve of the product they are putting out, we rank well below the casual movie-going audience.

And for large budget tentpole blockbuster movies, this is precisely the right way to go about things.

The DCEU was wholeheartedly rejected by that casual, movie-going audience in November. Hence why you've heard absolutely no concrete news about DC movies going forward, direct from WB. They still really don't know what the **** to do.

Because it's plainly clear that the vast, vast majority of the audience couldn't give a rosy red **** about the DCEU anymore. They've moved on. They have Infinity War, and Deadpool, and Jurassic World, and Ant Man, and Skyscraper, and Mission Impossible to think about. And when Aquaman eventually rolls around, they'll remember how crappy those other movies with that guy in them were, and they won't go to see that either.

If any of us are going to be able to have a sensible and pragmatic conversation about how WB and DC moves forward, the truth that we are a very small part of the overall audience has to be acknowledged.

Forget Flashpoint. It's never, ever happening. It's the kind of thing fans want not what studios or the general audience wants.

@m1ll3r - Hope you'll forgive my quoting you in a different thread; you summed it up pretty well and I didn't want to quote you without giving credit.

It looks to me like because that guy was flat out wrong in his last point (http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/th...-movie-release-date-cast-plot-actor-director/), everything else he said has pretty much been invalidated.

Even if one necessarily followed the other (which it doesn't), he hasn't been shown to be'flat out wrong in his last point'...

"If we seem equivocal about the title of this movie, it's because we are. The film was announced to follow the Flashpoint comic at Comic-Con in 2017, but whether it's supposed to the 'Flashpoint', 'The Flash: Flashpoint' or even just 'The Flash' remains up for debate."

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/th...-movie-release-date-cast-plot-actor-director/

He has been proven categorically wrong. The only thing the quote you pulled shows is that they have not settled on a final title for the project. It does, however, confirm that it will be adapting the Flashpoint storyline. A feat which m1ll3r said will, quote, "never, ever happen[ing]".

That article is based on old news. There has been no recent official confirmation that Flashpoint will still be the storyline. Given the reception of Justice League and the fact that Flashpoint involves that same league lineup there has been an ongoing debate for many weeks as to whether WB/DC is still going to run with the Flashpoint storyline for the Flash solo.

All of which is incidental to the parts of m1ll3r's post relevant to the matter of CBM audiences - the parts that I bolded for that very reason.

That article was posted 12 days ago. It isn't based on old news and was written way after Justice League was released. Which gives every indication that Flashpoint is still the planned storyline.

All of which is not "incidental", because he concluded his post with it. Not only that, but the entire post he acts as though he knows everything and has insider tips, which he clearly doesn't.

That article was posted 12 days ago. It isn't based on old news and was written way after Justice League was released. Which gives every indication that Flashpoint is still the planned storyline.

It being posted 12 days ago and written 'way after Justice League' doesn't mean it's not based on old news.

This article posted the same day as the one you linked, says

'being said that the DC Comics "Flashpoint" story has been dropped from The Flash movie'

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/flashpoint-dropped-flash-movie

This one posted the day after, says

'A new article over at The Hollywood Reporter says the Flash movie will be changing to a lighter tone rather than the harsher Flashpoint comics storyline that rewrote DC Universe continuity seven years ago.'

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/06/re...more-like-back-to-the-future-than-flashpoint/

Last edited:
Yeah actually it does.

Regardless, his comment of it "never happening" is clearly categorically false as there were plans to go ahead with it as recently as last month.

Here's an article posted as recently as 24 hours ago claiming that what you are citing is nothing more than unconfirmed rumour: https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/06/the-flash-co-director-hints-at-2020-release-date/

The article concludes with "plans (regarding the DCEU) can and do change overnight". Saying a Flashpoint movie will "never happen" is arrogant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"