A Scanner Darkly

Sandman138

Avenger
Reaction score
I'm really psyched for this film. P. K. Dick tends to not get good adaptations, but this film seems to be focusing less on making one of his novels into a traditional sci-fi, and more on the ideas that make cyberpunk so interesting. I'm iffy on Keanu, but other than that, it looks incredible.

http://wip.warnerbros.com/ascannerdarkly/

I'm looking forward to this too. The rotoscoping looks really cool and I have read that this one'll be as faithful as possible to Dick's work. Blade Runner certainly wasn't.

it has the best director ever. He's got 2 films in the can coming out this year (maybe next year for "Fast Food Nation")

The books cool so the film better be the same!

BT18 said:
it has the best director ever. He's got 2 films in the can coming out this year (maybe next year for "Fast Food Nation")

Haha. I like your avatar. I saw that on College Humor. Religion is funny. Anyway, yeah, Linklater is a great director.

KingOfDreams said:
I'm looking forward to this too. The rotoscoping looks really cool and I have read that this one'll be as faithful as possible to Dick's work. Blade Runner certainly wasn't.

At least Blade Runner became a good film in its own right. Totall Recall? Paycheck? Minority Report?

Sandman138 said:
At least Blade Runner became a good film in its own right. Totall Recall? Paycheck? Minority Report?

Actually I like Total Recall and Minority Report. I haven't read ths stories so I don't know how faithfully the films follow them but MR has great acting and cinematography. Spielberg is GOD. And Total Recall is just fun to watch though, granted, it's not the greatest film ever. Blade Runner really pissed me off. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was the first Phillip K. Dick book I read and it quickly became one of my favorite books of all time and Blade Runner butchered the story so much. No more Mercer. No more electric sheep. No more Deckard's wife. Rachel's last name was changed. It was barely the same story at all, which is why the title was different from the book's title.

I really enjoyed "Before Sunset", so I'm really looking forward to this:up:

Have you seen Waking Life? That's the example Linklater set as far as the rotoscoping technique goes and it looks like it's going to be even better on A Scanner Darkly.

I heard downey jr stealsthe show

yes, this has been a relatively quiet movie that i am REALLY looking forward to!

I am aslo looking forward to it.

I think it will be great movie!

I've been waiting for this movie a long time. Loved the book.

That being said, I think most people will dislike the movie. It's not an action fest or scifi extravaganza, and it seems like it's a slow paced film.

Flexo said:
I've been waiting for this movie a long time. Loved the book.

That being said, I think most people will dislike the movie. It's not an action fest or scifi extravaganza, and it seems like it's a slow paced film.

I am sure critics will love it. And have no doubts people also will like it.

But I doubt general people will understand something in storylines of this film.

I´m interested in the rotoscoping style, hope it works for more interesting effect than Waking Life, a movie I find terribly pretentious, contrived and devoid of life, a good example of "talking heads cinema".

As for Philip K Dick... I love Blade Runner, I think Minority Report is good but uneven and terribly overrated and Total Recall has some good ideas when it´s not just about Ahnold shooting people.

Keanu's performances have improved over the last couple of years and the rest of the cast is brilliant. I think this movie will be a darkhorse this summer and it will get good reviews. I can see it being a huge cult-classic.

It looks good, I'll be checkin' it out. Plus they did a good job of getting rid of the crazy-ass-eyeball-raping-jiggling of the frames like in Waking Life.

DOG LIPS said:
It looks good, I'll be checkin' it out. Plus they did a good job of getting rid of the crazy-ass-eyeball-raping-jiggling of the frames like in Waking Life.

That they did.

Speaking of Waking Life, it was almost like watching Ed, Edd, and Eddy on crack. (The jiggling, I mean.)

I feel something really good is coming soon from critics reviews!

has this movie been moved back or what? i know its somewhat of an indie, but i haven't heard anything about SD in a month!

I am also confused. There is no new trailer to promote ASD, looks like they moved release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"