A Trinity film, before Justice League?

Airwings

Waves of air
Reaction score
How could a Batman vs Superman possible lead up to a Justice League? Shouldn't there be something in-between that builds up more to a gathering of heroes?
From only a flying boyscout and a bat-dressed detective/martial arts fighter working together, to a world filled with superheroes.
"Suddenly, they just seemed to be everywhere." No, the change will be too big for the regurlar audience to take in.

I think we have to bring in Wonder Woman in the mix before any Justice League. And have a adventure where the three are working together. It should play out as a seed to become the Justice League.

If we for a while accept that Lex Luthor and The Penguin team-up with a master plan to take down Supes and Bats, so that no-one will will stand in their way any longer. And they use Metallo for that, as we need some muscles as well, not only brain. This happens in World's Finest. It will be the plot for THAT film.
The heroes will save the day, without doubt. Metallo is taken down, and The Penguin disappears or something. Lex is the only one left, but he find new allies, even better. Bring in Brainiac. And maybe an ancient force named Ares.
Then the path is laid for Wonder Woman to enter the scene. Man of Steel and Caped Crusader will need her help, as she knows things about the gods they don't.
This will, of course, take place after her own solo film where she first come into our modern world.

There should be a Batman villain too. If we don't want The Penguin back, then we can use somebody else. Perhaps Clock King?
In World's Finest and Trinity, it will be okay to use new villains. Only Justice League should re-use them as there will no time to explain any origin story in that. If we have Clock King in Trinity, The Riddler can appear towards the end (as Two-face did in Dark Knight).
The plot in Trinity should be sort of a prequel to Justice League, foreboding a huge threat to our world. As Clock King can put it: "The clock is ticking" or "Time is running out" or "Countdown has begun". These three quotes are all great. Maybe he should use them all, or at least two of them. Clock King should have knowledge of what to come, sort of.
Even if both he and Lex are brought to jail in the end, Brainiac will still be out there to go on with the plan to destroy the world. Then in Justice League, The Riddler will step forward, take his place by Brainiac's side. And 2-3 villains from solo films about The Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Just pick whoever you want, as long as they have been a main villain before. Brainiac and The Riddler have recruited them to this huge plan of chaos.
Perhaps it should be The Riddler all the way in Trinity then, and we ditch the Clock King idea. We can discuss different possibilities here. No script is written for any of these three team-up films by now.

Last edited:
No. I prefer solo films of the Justice League members than a Batman/Supes team-up movie.

Solo movies first, extablish characters:
Superman, Batman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman first
Superman and Batman team up movie
Extablish Flash and Aquaman if lucky, continue with the other extablished franshises
Trinity movie
Continue the superhero franshises
Justice League movie
Continue the heroes solo movies until a Justice League 2, and so on

I don't think a Trinity film will be necessary. Once a World's Finest comes out, the world will be ready for the Justice League. Unless they're still lining things up, I just don't see it.

BUT If they were to, I'd like to see a single villain involved with a personal connection to each of the three. Darkseid could be one, Vandal Savage could be another. Amazo would be a great reflective henchman as well. Trinity has to go deeper than just a team up movie.

a Trinity movie isn't necessary but that doesn't mean it couldn't be good

It would go like this:
First, Batman vs Superman
Second, Trinity
Third, Justice League

And the first team-up will be a stand alone film, while Trinity ties more directly into JL.

Yes! I think a Trinity trilogy would be a good way to establish a dynamic between Supes, Bats and Wondy.

I'd first do a Batman and Superman movie. The sequel would introduce WW. The third movie would have them face a big threat and see the need for a Justice League.

I just want to see WW on the big screen regardless, hopefully in her own solo movie so we can focus more on her. Introducing her in a trinity before her own solo could take a lot away from developing her.

Obsidian Idea: How can it be a Trinity trilogy if she's not in the first film? Trinity is just the team-up for the second film.

Liam H: As I already have said, she would have a solo film first.

Lets continue this discussion. It's as important as any Justice League thread out there!

The Trinity is a marketing ploy for comic fans. There's nothing story wise that immediately makes you think we need all three.

Marvel pulled the trigger on the team movie with Avengers so DC should play to their strength and franchise the World's Finest.

The Trinity is a marketing ploy for comic fans. There's nothing story wise that immediately makes you think we need all three.

Marvel pulled the trigger on the team movie with Avengers so DC should play to their strength and franchise the World's Finest.

RE: the bolded text

The same exact thing could be said about the World's Finest.

RE: the bolded text

The same exact thing could be said about the World's Finest.

Except the whole Bromance/buddy cop/The brain and the muscle movie idea is tried and true in Hollywood. It's easier to see how a Superman/Bats movie would work over a Trinity movie where someone(likely WW) is just a third wheel.

And I have the slight caveat that when I say "franchise" the World's Finest, I really mean make it the Brave and the Bold but the former title works better.

Except the whole Bromance/buddy cop/The brain and the muscle movie idea is tried and true in Hollywood. It's easier to see how a Superman/Bats movie would work over a Trinity movie where someone(likely WW) is just a third wheel.
In a Trinity film, the character of Wonder Woman is the one who change the outcome of the good vs evil fight.
Superman is invulnerable to magic and Batman can't fight mythologial creatures of his own. And greek mythology is all about supernatural and monsters. Besides this, WW knows a whole lot of these things while Bats and Supes don't. She knows how to fight these things. And she's got superpowers too, she's not far behind Man of Steel. When the kryptonian is weakened, the world can depends only on Caped Crusader and Amazon Princess.

You see, she won't be a third weel. The threat has to be so big that all three heroes has to work together to save the world.

In a Trinity film, the character of Wonder Woman is the one who change the outcome of the good vs evil fight.
Superman is invulnerable to magic and Batman can't fight mythologial creatures of his own. And greek mythology is all about supernatural and monsters. Besides this, WW knows a whole lot of these things while Bats and Supes don't. She knows how to fight these things. And she's got superpowers too, she's not far behind Man of Steel. When the kryptonian is weakened, the world can depends only on Caped Crusader and Amazon Princess.

You see, she won't be a third weel. The threat has to be so big that all three heroes has to work together to save the world.

What you're describing is exactly what I'm talking about.

Why can't Batman just get Wonder Woman?

Superman fights monsters all by himself that's what Bats would need him for.

Dr. Fate knows magic as well so why not him? Superman always gets weakened so he can shake it off and get back up.

What you're saying reminds me of Sherlock Holmes:GoS. The movie is about Sherlock and Watson but they have a plot point that is solved by having the female character, but other than that,she serves no actual purpose to anything about the two characters. Or Star Trek where Spock and Kirk are the one with the dynamic playing off each other while all the other characters make plot points to solve the heroes journey.

Writing a plot to involve a character isn't the same as having the agency to need the character. Once you remove the specifically Greek/magic"mythological monster, WW is just there as back-up Superman.

Last edited:
World's Finest > Trinity by leaps and bounds.

Superman and Batman's universes clash enough without bringing mythology into it. Besides, three's a crowd.

First they have to turn Wonder Woman into a successful movie franchise. I doubt that's possible.

Too many heroes in Trinity? Well, how do we explain a Justice League then?

Neither "World's Finest" nor "Trinity" will ring a bell for non-comic fans. Neither does "Justice League," but a movie about the JLA would be banking on the All-Star lineup factor. "Superman/Batman" or some straightforward variation of that, does have a ton of marketing power though.

If it had to come down between "World's Finest" or "Trinity," then "Trinity" is the better title. "World's Finest" doesn't sound very dramatic, but rather a bit cheesy and self congratulatory.

The real problem though is that as of right now, DC and the WB have just ONE successful superhero franchise, and that's Batman (which is concluding in a few months). They have yet to relaunch Superman in a solo franchise, so all this talk about team ups is very premature. I'd prefer to just hold off, establish successful solo franchises, and then cash in big on a real Justice League movie. Let's face it, Superman, Batman, and to a lesser extent Wonder Woman will be the main attractions for a JLA movie anyway. If Green Lantern and the Flash can bring in even more fans, that's icing on the cake.

TheComicbookKid said:
What you're saying reminds me of Sherlock Holmes:GoS. The movie is about Sherlock and Watson but they have a plot point that is solved by having the female character, but other than that,she serves no actual purpose to anything about the two characters. Or Star Trek where Spock and Kirk are the one with the dynamic playing off each other while all the other characters make plot points to solve the heroes journey.

Writing a plot to involve a character isn't the same as having the agency to need the character. Once you remove the specifically Greek/magic"mythological monster, WW is just there as back-up Superman.

You don't need some strained and overly specific explanation like Wonder Woman being the only one who can handle magical enemies. Just write a big threat, that necessitates the joining of the world's greatest superheroes. And yes, this concept is somewhat redundant with just doing the JLA movie, which again is what I prefer anyway.

Don't approach this from the mindset that it's already about Superman and Batman, with Wonder Woman automatically being the "third wheel" despite this movie being hypothetical and not even existing. Wonder Woman is her own person, and an equal to Superman and Batman. WW's core beliefs are as high minded as either of those two's, so if written right she can stand up as her own part of the trinity.

There are some strengths to a Trinity movie that come to mind. For one, you'd be able to attract more female demographics to the movie. Thematically, Wonder Woman keeps the movie from being a portrayal of simplistic extremes (Batman's darkness and practicality vs. Superman's shiny idealism). She also has closer associations to the military, world governments, and the conflict between truth and ignorance, which allow her to be integrated into a variety of large scale plots.

Neither "World's Finest" nor "Trinity" will ring a bell for non-comic fans. Neither does "Justice League," but a movie about the JLA would be banking on the All-Star lineup factor. "Superman/Batman" or some straightforward variation of that, does have a ton of marketing power though.

Kids know what the JL is based on the cartoon.

Seeing the characters on screen will be all people need to know.

You don't need some strained and overly specific explanation like Wonder Woman being the only one who can handle magical enemies. Just write a big threat, that necessitates the joining of the world's greatest superheroes. And yes, this concept is somewhat redundant with just doing the JLA movie, which again is what I prefer anyway.

Well, I prefer the JLU approach with the rotating members. Not every solution immediately needs the Big 7 since some of them are redundant and not necessary. Very few threats ever actually reach the level of the Big Seven. Most of the time it just involves a few of them being taken down and the others are left to save them.

Don't approach this from the mindset that it's already about Superman and Batman, with Wonder Woman automatically being the "third wheel" despite this movie being hypothetical and not even existing. Wonder Woman is her own person, and an equal to Superman and Batman. WW's core beliefs are as high minded as either of those two's, so if written right she can stand up as her own part of the trinity.

She has her own mindset but that's not the same as you needing her in movie.

We've all seen how Hollywood depicts team stories(X-Men, FF) that have complex dynamics. Superman and Bats are the most recognizable. Light vs. Dark. Good vs. Evil.

Not necessarily Good vs. Evil vs. Sorta kinda evil vs. Morally grey.

Just look at X-Men:FC. Mystique totally could have had more to say between Eric and Xavier based on her character but that's not what the visually strong dynamic. The movie was completely broken down into binary situations.

There are some strengths to a Trinity movie that come to mind. For one, you'd be able to attract more female demographics to the movie. Thematically, Wonder Woman keeps the movie from being a portrayal of simplistic extremes (Batman's darkness and practicality vs. Superman's shiny idealism). She also has closer associations to the military, world governments, and the conflict between truth and ignorance, which allow her to be integrated into a variety of large scale plots.

People like their blockbusters with simplistic extremes. You can layer in as much depth as you like but a trailer is about getting across a basic idea.

If they just need a vagina, then they can get any female character from the DCU.

A Batman/Superman film has more selling power than a Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman film... too much is taken away from the Batman/Superman dynamic and dichotomy when WW is randomly thrown in.

Batman and Superman have this perfect ying/yang dymanic, two halves of a whole.

Either explore that dynamic in a Batman/Superman film, or bring on the entire League in JL..... but "Trinity" is just neither here nor there. More can be acheived with WF or JL.

If they just need a vagina, then they can get any female character from the DCU.

"The Dark Knight" didn't need a female hero added in order to make one billion worldwide. Obviously the female demographic was pulled into that box office result.

Last edited:
A Batman/Superman film has more selling power than a Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman film... too much is taken away from the Batman/Superman dynamic and dichotomy when WW is randomly thrown in.

Batman and Superman have this perfect ying/yang dymanic, two halves of a whole.

Either explore that dynamic in a Batman/Superman film, or bring on the entire League in JL..... but "Trinity" is just neither here nor there. More can be acheived with WF or JL.

Agreed

"The Dark Knight" didn't need a female hero added in order to make one billion worldwide. Obviously the female demographic was pulled into that box office result.

Basically.

It's just that in Trinity, the stakes would be higher than in World's Finest. Wonder Woman has to help out to save the world. It is as simple as that.
The film should not focus on oposite heroes (each side of the scale). It's not about forming a duo anymore, as when Bats and Supes meet. It's about forming a superhero team.

I quote Samuel L Jackson from the teaser for Avengers.
“And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when earth’s mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat…to fight the foes no single superhero could withstand."
That's the way to think when writing the script for a Trinity film. And I said "A Trinity film", not that the film would be called Trinity.

Wonder Woman herself would be known, both to the audience AND to everybody in the fictive world that exists in this film, before she teams up with the two others

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"