World's Finest, Then Trinity

BlackMagicWolf

He who is BlackMagic
Reaction score
IGN.com recently wrote an article stating that a World's Finest movie should be made before Justice League. I agree with this.

But I think that another team-up movie should be made before Justice League. I think a Trinity movie should be made. That way Wonder Woman gets her debut without being overshadowed by the other members of the league and the core of the DC universe will be formed.

Below are the articles with these ideas. The first is the IGN article about World's Finest and the second is my blog idea about a Trinity movie.

Would love to know what you think.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/11/why-a-batmansuperman-movie-needs-to-happen-before-jla

http://www.ign.com/blogs/guardianike33/2013/03/22/trinity-the-sequel-to-worlds-finest/

I like this idea. I think that it makes sense with the way Nolan/Warner Bros has been doing the good films.

It's "The Dark Knight" not "Batman 2"
"The Dark Knight Rises" not "Batman 3"
"Man of Steel" not "Superman"
"World's Finest" instead of "Justice League"
"Trinity" instead of "Justice League 2"
"Justice League" instead of "Justice League 3

its more than about the names though. It makes each movie a standalone event rather than a sequel or a series. It's like each one has a story to tell and even without the other films it has an important message. idk if this can be said about the MCU, all I know is that TDK did it successfully.

Not to mention it's different than The Avengers (and thats their goal right?) instead of a solo movie first before the big team-up they have a team-up and then solo films. Instead of one big team up, its a series of smaller team-ups. Gaining members over time instead of one big hurrah.

And even beyond that, maybe it will give Christian Bale a reason to bail (or bale :p) after the Justice League. Maybe Batman isn't interested in a teamup. Maybe he's totally on board with the idea of saving the world with Superman, and then saving the world with Wonder Woman, but when it comes to being the regular member of a super-powered team he's out. In other words, he's an honorary member in Justice League, but ducks out in JL2 or JL3 if they go that far.

Last edited:
Exactly, I'm glad to see someone with my viewpoint.

It really is about having minor team-ups that lead to Justice League. If GL had done well (I liked it a lot) and a Flash movie had been made I would suggested having them team up (as they are best friends in the comics) and build that dynamic while the Trinity builds theirs.

That way when they all come together there is already a lot of familiarity in the group and not just seven strangers coming together.

"Trinity" as a film title sounds a little queer to me though.

I'd even want to see the following. Watching the League form slowly into a real "Justice League"
Justice League: World's Finest (starring just Supes and Bats and facing Lex Luthor or a similar threat)
Justice League: Trinity (adding Wonder Woman to the roster and facing off against a combined threat like Ra's Al Ghul/Lex Luthor/Ares)
Justice League: Final Crisis (recruits Green Lantern and Flash, Batman becomes honorary member and Darkseid is the villain)

Of course this is merely one way of doing it. I am also on board with just doing Justice League in 2015 and seeing how well it works to just do a teamup before any solo films are released. Superman and Batman should do just fine at selling the film to the public. The rest is just icing on the cake.

I get the Batman/Superman dynamic. But what does WW add to the mix? What is interesting about Trinity?

I say do Man of Steel sequel (World's Finest) in 2015, and perhaps WW solo in late 2015
Flash solo and GL reboot in 2016
Justice League in 2017

Yeah I guess Trinity may sound a little weird, but it was a successful comic so that's why I call it that.

FOATF: That is a good question. As I said in my blog DC's best heroes are the Trinity, and all for different reasons. The beauty of this movie would be the dynamic that would build between the three of them. Each one of them has a different personality that in one way or the other conflicts with the other two.

Superman is a boy scout. He plays by the rules and doesn't abuse his powers. Batman is a detective, he doesn't do anything without thinking a couple moves ahead and isn't afraid to intimidate to get what he wants. Wonder Woman is the Amazon warrior princess, she knows little of our world but will risk her life to defend it at a moments notice, and is never afraid to fight.

These styles clash but we know that they work, but was it always like that? That's what Trinity would show was that it wasn't like in cartoons where you put them together and they instantly bond, it doesn't work like that. You have to work together, fight together, win and lose together to get those bonds going.

Think of it from Batman's perspective. He's lived his life (I'm speaking movie-wise here) fighting criminals and thugs and warlords, but they were all human. Then one day he meets an alien with superpowers. How is he supposed to believe that? And so he bends his understanding of the world to allow this Superman to exist and then during one battle he watches a woman in a weird outfit and a lasso launch a bad guy two miles into the air and clonks another bad guy so hard they crash into a building. Oh and she's from an island full of women, how does that happen?

And you could go around the triangle (see what I did there?) and ask questions from the other two perspectives. It's about these three heroes forsaking what they think they know about the world and accepting that there are not only really weird things out there but that there are others who would do what they would do to save the earth.

That's why Trinity should be made, to show these three awesome heroes together fighting as one. Then once they've bonded we can believe that they would ask for help (from GL, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl, whoever you want in the league) to fight Darkseid or whatever threat that comes to earth. I don't want them just thrown together, I'd rather have them slowly grow as a unit.

I would like a Trinity movie like the new 52's Earth-2. Where Wondy, Bats, and Supes struggle against Darkseid's army. The heroes are successful in defeating Stephenwolf, however some of Earth's cities are annihilated. So in their last attempt, the three form a team of other heroes like them.

Yeah I guess Trinity may sound a little weird, but it was a successful comic so that's why I call it that.

FOATF: That is a good question. As I said in my blog DC's best heroes are the Trinity, and all for different reasons. The beauty of this movie would be the dynamic that would build between the three of them. Each one of them has a different personality that in one way or the other conflicts with the other two.

Superman is a boy scout. He plays by the rules and doesn't abuse his powers. Batman is a detective, he doesn't do anything without thinking a couple moves ahead and isn't afraid to intimidate to get what he wants. Wonder Woman is the Amazon warrior princess, she knows little of our world but will risk her life to defend it at a moments notice, and is never afraid to fight.

These styles clash but we know that they work, but was it always like that? That's what Trinity would show was that it wasn't like in cartoons where you put them together and they instantly bond, it doesn't work like that. You have to work together, fight together, win and lose together to get those bonds going.

Think of it from Batman's perspective. He's lived his life (I'm speaking movie-wise here) fighting criminals and thugs and warlords, but they were all human. Then one day he meets an alien with superpowers. How is he supposed to believe that? And so he bends his understanding of the world to allow this Superman to exist and then during one battle he watches a woman in a weird outfit and a lasso launch a bad guy two miles into the air and clonks another bad guy so hard they crash into a building. Oh and she's from an island full of women, how does that happen?

And you could go around the triangle (see what I did there?) and ask questions from the other two perspectives. It's about these three heroes forsaking what they think they know about the world and accepting that there are not only really weird things out there but that there are others who would do what they would do to save the earth.

That's why Trinity should be made, to show these three awesome heroes together fighting as one. Then once they've bonded we can believe that they would ask for help (from GL, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl, whoever you want in the league) to fight Darkseid or whatever threat that comes to earth. I don't want them just thrown together, I'd rather have them slowly grow as a unit.

I guess I'm just wondering what WW specifically brings to the di/trichotomy.

With Bruce/Clark you have great clear dichotomies:

a superhero who has no powers / the most powerful superhero
a man with a tragic upbringing / a man with a good upbringing
a wealthy man from the city / a man from small town America
Using fear / using hope
working in the shadows / working in broad daylight
covering his face / letting the world see his face

That's why if you were ever to have a movie about two heroes, it would be about those two, because their contrast/similarities is the most interesting out of everyone in DC. I'm not sure what WW adds to that anymore than any other superhero.

What is it about the Bat/Supes/WW relationship that you think deserves its own movie, anymore than a Batman/Superman/Martian-Manhunter movie? Is it because there's something thematically interesting specific to those three? Or is it simply because she's the 3rd most iconic hero in DC and you feel that deserves equal treatment?

Last edited:
I agree that the names World's Finest and Trinity are a little stupid sounding, I'm not quite sure what else to call it to be honest for the moment so I guess we just roll with that until the time comes when it start to roll around. With that said I do like the idea of a build up from WF to Trinity to JL. There's a far more natural path than going straight from WF to JL by adding in a Trinity film in between. A WF film can be about the establishment of the relationship between Kent and Wayne, a Trinity film could be about Diana first coming to the world and how Bruce and Clarke respond to her. From there on in you have 3 characters already set up for JL leaving only a handful to introduce. The more I think about it actually the more a Trinity film is the best way to introduce WW. The best thing about a build up of team up films is that unlike Avengers there can be an underlying story that is the foundations for an eventual JL film. Avengers was good but there really wasn't any story going into it from the previous films, it was just a fun film using elements of the different franchises.

Last edited:
I think the titles would work fine, it's not like people go what's that? They see the posters and the trailers as no whose involved. If that is in issue they could just title it Superman Batman: Worlds Finest.

If recent history is anything to go by we are past the use of Superman and Batman in the movie titles. Frankly I like it that way.

jmc: Exactly, WF would help build the relationships between the three of them and then when a JL movie happens there are already core relationships there to build the foundation. And this would definitely be the best way to introduce WW.

FOATF: I won't deny that I do feel that WW does deserve equal treatment and that is a reason I want Trinity to be done first. But that's not all. Let me take your reasoning from the above post and add WW to it and maybe that'll show off the reason a little better.

a superhero who has no powers / the most powerful superhero / a superheroine that was born with powers
a man with a tragic upbringing / a man with a good upbringing / a woman who was taught that man's world was unsavable
a wealthy man from the city / a man from small town America / a woman from an island of Amazons
Using fear / using hope / using love (no one loves the world more the Diana, this was touched on in comics)
working in the shadows / working in broad daylight / working all the time (no secret identity)
covering his face / letting the world see his face / being seen as she is, no change of clothes necessary

I know this is just a base comparison but one the appeals of Trinity is that WW is well....a woman and that shakes things up. If you add GL or Flash, or MM it's just another guys night out (*cough* Avengers *cough*), Wonder Woman brings a different perspective than the other two because of the culture she was raised in.

I said before how would Batman/Superman react to Wonder Woman, now that I think about it, how would she react to them? She was told by her mother that man's world is full of greedy powerhungry men who only wish to destroy, how would meeting Batman and Superman change that? Would it change that? Would they see her as a threat first and fight her? Or would they accept that she is good off the bat? Would she accept them as good? What would she think of Batman? A man who fights in the shadows? Or of Superman a man who can match her point for point in the stregnth department?

It's that difference in style that makes Trinity interesting to me, and that's why I think it's logical to build to Justice League by doing World's Finest then Trinity to build up the core, then bring in the others.

f2j9zd.jpg

awesome pic

I would dig it if it were real, then just add the eagle wings and you have the Trinity logo.

but adding that would be kinda overkill because that design is so solid. But yeah World's Finest before Justice League is definitely the best option.

An option I can see them doing is no more solo movies in favour of only team-ups. From a financial pov, why make solo movies when you can make team-ups (with Batman the moneymaker in each movie) to introduce characters instead?

2013 Man of Steel
2015 World's Finest (introduce new Batman)
2017 Trinity (introduce WW)
2019 Justice League (introduce new GL and Flash)

However, I personally don't want to see that. I'd rather see WW and Flash introduced in solo films; I don't want to have to watch Batman/Superman in my Wonder Woman origin story.

Last edited:
But see that's the beauty of it. Certain people (*cough* DC Executives *cough*) don't know if people will go to see solo films of some of these heroes. Superman and Batman broke the mold, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor all were risks and paid off in one way or the other. Remember Hulk had two movies.

The beauty of the team film like this is to sort of skip over the origin (like I said in my blog) and then once you garner interest from seeing them team up you'll want to see them alone in a solo film against their own villains, so WW versus Cheetah, Flash versus Captain Boomerang or Captain Cold (that's a lot of Captains).

Besides after what happened with GL (even though I personally loved it) I dont' think they'd take the risk of doing two different solo films before JL, this way they get team-ups that build to JL make less movies but the same amount of money and find out if anyone wants solo films of the characters other than Batman and Superman.

It's a safe bet for WB. You have a guaranteed box office draw in a Batman/Superman team up, even more if it's both Bale and Cavill. World's Finest is a no-brainer. And with Trinity there's no safer way to introduce Wonder Woman to the mix, the entire story can be about her but with the added safety net of Batman and Superman in the film. That's win-win, you get to make a WW movie but have Bats and Supes there to minimize the risk. Follow that up with JL and you only have to introduce 2 maybe 3 characters into the mix. The best part is you can have an underlying story throughout a 'Team-up Trilogy' culminating in a JL finale, something that the Marvel movies don't have.

Right.

WF is more likely to make more than a Batman solo origin movie

Trinity is more likely to make more than a WW solo origin movie

However, would the Justice League movie make more money if it had solo stories before hand (WW, Flash) so that the audience gets hyped to see the heroes they know meetup? or only other teamup movies prior (WF and Trinity), introducing Flash/GL in the film itself?

But regardless, I guess the counterargument is which overall plan makes the most money? (the total from each movie?)

---

But again, personally I'd rather just see solo movies for Flash and WW first. (I don't want Batman/Superman in my introductory WW movie)
It's true, after what happened with GL, they're not likely to do solos.
However, if these movies were Nolan-produced, quality-controlled epics (like the rumours are suggesting). I think they'd be more than fine.

Remember, coming off TDK, Inception, an original property, was huge (800 million)
Man of Steel, with Nolan producing, looks like it's going to be huge.
Why not bring that for WW and Flash (and perhaps GL) as well?
(Well....assuming the rumours are true and Nolan is producing the DC solo movies. No doubt this is why they're trying to get him)

But I guess they could always start doing the solos after WW, Trinity, and JL like you suggested. (that just seems like a long time to wait...:( )

Last edited:
The way I look at it is that yes solo films would be great but some characters have been in development hell for years and are no closer to getting their own movies. The reality of the situation is it makes more business sense for WB to go that route. If Batman and Superman are present they've always got an ace up their sleeve. I think it's just something we as DC fans have to accept that for the foreseeable future, especially after the GL fiasco, Batman and Superman are going to be at the forefront for WB and any other characters are more than likely going to have to be associated with them in order to get a foot in the door.

Exactly JMC, I based my idea off of what has happened and that's exactly it. The Flash, WW, and others have been in development for years with no resolution. By teaming up, first through World's Finest then to Trinity and JL they slowly build up the connections of the characters and when (yes I said when) they make big bucks at the box office they can take the time to branch off into solo adventures.

I've said this in past similar threads but I think most fans and even the GA would be so disappointed to have another DC movie and it only have Batman and Superman, who we've seen over and over and over. I say skip to Trinity!! Come in DC you cowards! At least mix it up and through Diana in there!

Wonder Woman is the franchise no one wants to touch with a ten foot pole.

But World's Finest could be the biggest box office draw since Avatar.

By no one you mean WB, since another type of industry seems to have no problem with her.
And you're getting Batman and Superman but adding the most well-known superheroine in the business to the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"