Acting a concern???

spideydave said:
I thought they were all great just the dialogue in SM2 between Pete and MJ was nt written well enough. Just remember 90% if the acting is bad it's usually because of horrific writing

aren't they allowed to imrpovise though? like use contractions, or stutter, or moan, or add words here or there?

I think it was simply a matter of them not being a couple. I mean MJ had a boyfriend that she was engaged to. her relationship with peter was on the rocks. the backyard scene seemed pretty good. MJ a little flirty at first, with pete acting like the nervous nerd social anxiety disorder person he is. but then it quickly went to "don't disapoint me"

For me,the acting goes like this:

The Good: Tobey Maguire,J.K. Simmons,Rosemary Harris,Elizabeth Banks,James Franco,Alfred Molina,Willem Dafoe,Cliff Robertson

The Bad: Bill Nunn,Daniel Gillies

The Ugly: Kirsten Dunst

Most of the cast were better the second time around.It should be the same for the third,assuming they have decent material to work with.

Doc Ock said:

The Good: Tobey Maguire,J.K. Simmons,Rosemary Harris,Elizabeth Banks,James Franco,Alfred Molina,Willem Dafoe,Cliff Robertson

Most of the cast were better the second time around.It should be the same for the third,assuming they have decent material to work with.

Exactimundo. Oh and....FREAKIN' LOVE THE AVY!! :eek: :up:

cmill216 said:
Exactimundo. Oh and....FREAKIN' LOVE THE AVY!! :eek: :up:

Ta :up:

You know when you hit 3000 posts,you can upgrade to a 75x75 one,and when you hit 6000 you can get 100x100 one.New Hype rules.

Really its not the acting that wore 2. It was the weak dialogue and screenplay.

Doc Ock said:

You know when you hit 3000 posts,you can upgrade to a 75x75 one,and when you hit 6000 you can get 100x100 one.New Hype rules.
This is news to me :).

*Runs off for a moment*

Doc Ock said:

Yeah, I heard about it on the Technical Support forums.

Still a ways to go for me till 6,000, but that 75x75 ain't so far anymore. Thank god.

So far I think tobey has done pretty good with the part of Peter Parker, he was casted pretty well. However I don't know how well he's gonna do with this movie. The Black suit, the new power, the mood swings, it'll be interesting to see.

Doc Ock said:

Shame on you :( :mad:
icon12.gif

DroolingforGwen said:
Harry Potter- the children matured, so they will naturally be better
SW- acting and SW just don't go together... A New Hope was as good as it would ever get...

Back to Spiderman... is Dunst going to screw this one all up with her Broadway sh:t... is Tobey going to lose interest in this one??? We don't know... but I think it will depend more on the story than the actors... hopefully the story will bring out their full potential...

Regardless of how you feel about the acting in SM1 or SM2 (it seems you're more concerned with the writing than the delivery of the lines actually)... there are some potentially encouraging things in SM3:

1) the symbiote, and its effect on Peter, and those around him he loves, and hates. :up: This should allow Tobey, and the rest of the cast, a chance to "stretch" out of the tired and true role they have been playing.

2) the story. Having a dramatic story (life and death), can make the acting seem much more vibrant and alive, like in LOTR movies, etc. And SM3's story should be much more dramatic than what we got in SM2, or SM1. And hopefully, they'll have the balls to give us... Death.

3) While not crazy about the villain (Sandy), or what would not have been my first choice to play Brock... Church can bring a dark/brooding side to his performance, and some of the early reports sound encouraging on this front... as long as I try NOT to imagine him as Lowell.

Topher, while again, would not have been my first choice to play Brock (assuming that is, as it looks, who he will play), intrigues me with his potential. He's that kind of quiet brooding actor, that can surprise you given the facade he has.

Do either of them measure up to the greatness that is Dafoe in general, and Molina as Octavius... No. Not yet at least. But both intrigue me enough to raise my interest.

The acting is good enough. Not oscar worthy but good enough to get by and have the movie go on effects and story. The only character that is 100% perfect in the Spider-Man movies is JJJ IMO. They got him down perfectly.

DroolingforGwen said:
Ya ya not worth a new thread... but i haven't got many replies to my concerns about the acting... we all know the acting gets worse as you move on with the sequels in most trilogies... (LotR was like one movie so that don't count)... some of the acting between Dunst/Maguire was pretty flat at times in SM2... i don't see why that will change for the better... i get the feeling that their is no chemistry between the two... SM1 was on the right track... but SM2 just didn't show any improvements... I think Franco has done a good job so far, but he does have a more complex role this time around... i don't know if he'll live up to the billing either... ofcourse know one knows what to expect out of Topher... i know block buster movies aren't really about acting... but I just don't want to see the same lame hap ass dialouge with no substance at all... just a concern to throw out there...

The acting has always been flat. This is mostly because the characters themselves are flat and dull to watch. Although I doubt an improvement in the characters would improve Kirsten's acting.

I have enjoyed the acting in these films so far,especially Franco's perfomance in 2.
Dafoe and him really capture the dynamics of the strained Osborn father son relationship.

Also aside from Raimi's character changes to Ock I really liked the performance of Molina when he was in villain mode.Love the Ock evil smirk he has during the kidnap MJ cafe scene.

The casting Of Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace are interesing ones in my opinion.I think along with Bryce Dallas Howard it adds to the cast.

Who is this Lowell people keep referring to when they mention Church?? Some previous character he played??

Doc Ock said:
Who is this Lowell people keep referring to when they mention Church?? Some previous character he played??

The character he played in the tv series "Wings"

darkhold said:
Really its not the acting that wore 2. It was the weak dialogue and screenplay.

I have to agree with you on that one. Near the end of SM2 where she says, "I think I always knew...all this time...who you really were," I almost vomited. And Tobey's monologue into the payphone wasn't exactly moving either.

ACTING??? who needs acting when you have cgi. I mean comon

I think the acting was overall stronger in the second one. JJJ was even better than he was in the first, harry was goin off the edge. Ock was great as was peter parker. The only thing I'd say was some of the dialogue between peter and Mj was a bit weak, sometimes made me wanna hurl like OH boy yeah and that pay phone sequence. urgh!!

But im pretty sure the acting will improve some more for the third, i mean look at the acting methods church described for that one scene.

I guess I'm stupid and that's all but I don't understand how everybody seems to have high standards for acting beyond "convincing". If I'm sitting there and not thinking about the actor and just the character and his/her whole psychology, that's all I need.

I'd score the sm movies low on the acting bar. The best ones are the old people and tobey even though he plays peter like a mental patient, he's sucha good actor my mind can't think bad thoughts about him. And of course the villians have been excellent. But Kirsten has been terrible. You're thinking NO SHE HASN"T maybe. Well... watch her, and then watch betty brant's parts. You'll see what I mean. Anyway Who else... hmmm. I can't think of more bad performers except her.

But I do hope to see topher bring yet another one of his excellent performances to the big screen and raimi has proven himself as a good director of villians so this should be a step up from the last film now that topher is in it. Yes, I value topher as a great actor and a decent choice for venom.

Dunst was the first thing that came to mind. She not a bad actor, she was just wrong for the part from day one. Bad casting that all that was. It doesn't matter if you change every thing in the script Kirsten will always be the weakest link. I even cringed sometimes during her scenes.

CrimeMaster! said:
I have enjoyed the acting in these films so far,especially Franco's perfomance in 2.
Dafoe and him really capture the dynamics of the strained Osborn father son relationship.

Also aside from Raimi's character changes to Ock I really liked the performance of Molina when he was in villain mode.Love the Ock evil smirk he has during the kidnap MJ cafe scene.

The casting Of Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace are interesing ones in my opinion.I think along with Bryce Dallas Howard it adds to the cast.
My favorite line in SM2 is when all the people on the train say, "you have to go through me". Then Ock(molina) say with that perfect smirk, "Very Well". Alot of people or I should say hardcore comic fans don't like the way some characters are/were portrayed but, to a viewer like me who totally got out of comics years ago, I found the movies very enjoyable. The same goes with anybody in my family or friends. But they aren't comic bookies. Cheers

MrSelfDestruct said:
I have to agree with you on that one. Near the end of SM2 where she says, "I think I always knew...all this time...who you really were," I almost vomited. And Tobey's monologue into the payphone wasn't exactly moving either.
I hated pretty much everything about the final 5 mins. The dialogue, the acting and the godawful blue screen shot of them swinging away as the building collapsed in the background.

Tobey is generally solid but he does have a tendancy to overplay the awkward geek at times.

The final 5 minutes needed a couple of more "Oh boys"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"