Actor's Considered To Play Wolverine

returntovoid

Sidekick
Reaction score
Out these actor's that were considered to play Wolverine.

Who do you think would have done better than Hugh Jackman???

Dougray Scott (was almost cast but had to leave to work on MI:II)
Mel Gibson (Bryan Singer talked to him about the role)
Russell Crowe (Bryan Singer talked to him about the role)
Viggo Mortensen (Bryan Singer talked to him about the role)
Edward Norton (Bryan Singer talked to him about the role)
Keanu Reeves (Fox was interested in casting him as Wolverine)
Jean-Claude Van Damme (He was considered for the role of Wolverine at one point)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120903/trivia

I don't know if better, but of that list Dougray Scott and Viggo Mortensen might have been good Wolverines. Hugh did a pretty good job in the first two movies, but without a good script and a director like Singer that gives him good directions, he's crap. See X3 and Origins.

I don't think dougray Scott would've been any good as Wolverine, he was awful in MI:II, thank god that went into overtime or else we wouldn't have got Jackman.
Viggo is the only one out of that list that i think could have done as good a job as Jackman.
Keanu Reeves? Ed Norton? lol

edit: Young Mel would've been great back in the day, and in fact Jackman said he got a lot of inspiration for playing Logan from watching Mel in the Mad Max movies.

Last edited:
Out of that list, I can only see Viggo Mortensen and Russell Crowe possibly being good in the part of Wolverine.

Never have paid much attention to the Wolverine that almost would-have-been, Dougray Scott.

It's interesting. If I remember correctly, Keanu was apparently Chris Claremont's choice for Gambit. Jeez. Most of these choices are pretty bad. I'm thankful for Hugh Jackman.

Jean Claude Van Damme? Really? Yikes.

I remember back when the first movie was getting cast. I was totally hoping for Russell Crowe. He would've been an excellent Wolverine. Maybe even better than Hugh.

Viggo Mortensen would've been awesome too.

Now if anyone's interested in the, apparent, contenders for the other characters:

Cyclops - Thomas Jane, Jude Law, Edward Burns, Luke Wilson, Jonny Lee Miller, Eric Mabius,
Vince Vaughn, Jim Caviezel

Jean - Julianne Moore, Maria Bello, Lucy Lawless, Jeri Ryan

Storm - Angela Bassett, Jada Pinkett-Smith

Rogue - Sarah Michelle Gellar, Natalie Portman, Rachael Leigh Cook

Magneto - Christopher Lee, Terence Stamp

Last edited:
I'd of loved to see Crowe as Logan. Don't know what the fuss about Dougray Scott comes from, never been impressed with him.

But I think Hugh was a good choice. He was great in the first and second movies. He had that mean, surly, angry attitude about him. X-3 and Wolverine? Not so much. Just a load of posturing.

Now if anyone's interested in the, apparent, contenders for the other characters:

Cyclops - Thomas Jane, Jude Law, Edward Burns, Luke Wilson, Jonny Lee Miller, Eric Mabius,

I think Caviezel would have made a good Cyclops.

If memory serves me correctly, I think I remember reading that he was basically Singer's first choice, but due to Jim's commitment's to Frequency, other actor's had to be considered which ultimately led to Marsden landing the role.

Interesting. I do like Julianne Moore. :yay:

Always have wondered what Angela could have done with the role.

Hmm .. maybe RLC.

Both would have made fine choices, but Ian Mckellen's portrayal's of Magnus has always been top notch and very satisfying to this Magneto fan. :cool:

I think Caviezel backed out coz he thought that Cyclops was almost demonized (not sure if that's the right word) in that X-men script.

The same actresses that tried out for Jean Grey also tried out for Mystique. Throw Gina Gerson into that mix, but she had to back out as she was shooting a tv show (Snoops, a Charlie's Angels type show) at that time. Guess what happened to the show... :p

Gina Gershon would've been the perfect Mystique, if she was written exactly like the comics.

Actually i *can* picture Gina Gershon as comic book Mystique.

The Mystique we got in the films was good enough.

In fact her, Magneto and Xavier were the only characters that were cast PERFECTLY IMO.

I always thought Salma Hayek would be a great non-scaley Mystique.

For wolverine I think Robert Carlyle (short, mean guy from Trainspotting) would be perfect. He may be skinny but he would be dead on as the ugly and fiesty runt misfit.

There are too many tall pretty boys as contenders for Wolverine. That aint Logan.

:up: Cool, i love reading 'what ifs' for film roles, esp comicbook ones.

Find it strange that Tom Jane was up for Cyclops, surely he would have been more suitable for Wolverine, he's very similar to HJ physically.

Jim C would have been interesting, but, I think Marsden was just right for the role. He seems like the kind of guy who would have been shy in the past but has developed a toughness to him, JC would've seemed like he was tough all along I think.

I think the role went to the right actress here. JM can be very good, but even back in 2000 she would have been too old for the role.
2nd pick after FJ would have been MB.

AB would have been good as Storm, but I'm sorry, i do like HB in the films.

The role went to the right actress here, AP has some kind of quality to her that is right for Rogue, a kind of vulnerability, or at least she can project that naturally.

I like both these guys, but McKellen was perfect, just a different class altogether.
TS can be wooden now and again(The Limey, Elektra), and Chris Lee may have played it a little overdramatically, while McKellen got the mix of underplaying him yet always being a powerful presence.

Crowe would have knocked that out of the park...

The last three; Norton, Reeves and JCVD are absolutely terrible options. Norton would at least put work into the role, but I still wouldn't buy it.

Julianne Moore's far too old to be a viable option for Jean, remember Cyclops and Jean have to look, at oldest, like they've just recently left the school and roughly the same age...

Personally I'd have rathered see Russell Crowe in the role than Hugh Jackman... would have been a more traditional Wolvie in my opinion.

Hugh Jackman can barely play dark, the "nice guy" in him shines through too much.

The darkest his character was in any of the 4 movies he was in was when the little kid playing the younger version of him had a berzerker rage.

That's worrying... Dude get's "out Wolvied" by a kid...

I don't think Crow could pull off the Wolverine haircut.

lol you're more worried about the haircut than his actual ability?

And Hound I disagree slightly. I thought Hugh was good in the first and second movies. The cage match and the bit at the bar afterwards. His mocking attitude of the others when he is first introduced to them.

And obviously his berserker rage in X-2 when the mansion got raided.

I don't think Crow could pull off the Wolverine haircut.
I think they'd have to adapt it a little to make it work for him, but that's a relatively small logistic problem.

I mean Wolverine's not exactly meant to be 6'3 and cut lean like Jackman either...

lol you're more worried about the haircut than his actual ability?

And Hound I disagree slightly. I thought Hugh was good in the first and second movies. The cage match and the bit at the bar afterwards. His mocking attitude of the others when he is first introduced to them.

And obviously his berserker rage in X-2 when the mansion got raided.
I agree, but IMO the kid still out "Bezerker rage"-ed him. :yay:

Some of this could be me as well though, as an Aussie my knowledge of Jackman would likely be a little different than some of you guys.

I mean I thought Eric Bana's version of Bruce Banner was practically unwatchable because the accent was destroying his performance and taking me out of the movie too often. Some of that would likely be that it was his early non-Australian work and he was a long way from making an American accent work. Some of the subtle little things in his performance were actually quite brilliant in forming the character, but his accent was just destroying the film to me.

No doubt that accent was affecting me more because I'm another Aussie and that further emphasised the issue.

Yea I thought Bana was great as Banner...but the accent definitely was destracting. I thought he was better than Norton anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"