Adam Mckay To Direct Irredeemable

Logan0327

Sidekick
Reaction score
20th Century Fox Taps Superhero Tale ‘Irredeemable’; Adam McKay Helms, Tommy Wirkola Scripting
EXCLUSIVE: Move over, X-Men and Deadpool. 20th Century Fox has tapped into an entirely new superhero universe. The studio has acquired Irredeemable, a Boom! Comics comic book that will be adapted by Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters writer-director Tommy Wirkola as a directing vehicle for Adam McKay. McKay, who with Charles Randolph just won the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for The Big Short, is a big comic book fan who co-wrote Marvel’s Ant-Man and wrote with Paul Rudd the story for the sequel. Now, McKay has a fresh hero universe, this one the kind of edgy terrain that Deadpool tapped into. Boom! Studios’ Ross Richie and Stephen Christy are producing with Gary Sanchez’s McKay and Kevin Messick.
In the Mark Waid-created comic book that debuted in 2009 and lasted 36 issues, the central figure is the Plutonian, the world’s greatest superhero until he began heartlessly slaughtering the population of Earth, at least those who defy him. It falls to a superhero group known as the Paradigm to stop his rampage. They were former colleagues of the Plutonian, they’ve all got problems of their own, and none of them is nearly as powerful as the mass-murdering maniac holding the world hostage. In Clarice-Hannibal Lecter fashion, the Paradigm in desperation turns to a famous supervillain for help; it might be the only way to stop the carnage.

The intriguing thing with starting from scratch on a superhero saga like this one is that some of these superheroes die, unlike the branded films being made by Marvel and DC.
http://deadline.com/2016/05/irredeemable-movie-adam-mckay-tommy-wirkola-boom-studios-fox-1201749508/
Irredeemable_V6.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be an awesome movie if done right.

Just read the plot summary. It's Bruce Wayne's greatest fear. :3

never heard from that comic before but sounds very cool

Just read the plot summary. It's Bruce Wayne's greatest fear. :3

Yeah, I love how Irredeemable #1 immediatly answers the question "what would Batman do and what would Superman do".

I'd make a great 1 minute opener for the movie as well.

For those who want to know and get spoiled:
the first thing evil Superman does? Kill Batman.

Well I feel like I already saw this character as Superman in BVS. But it's Mark Waid and this is an original character so this can be great if done right.

Thanks to Deadpool, we're just gonna get more irreverent superhero concept films. Hopefully this isn't just Fox seeing money signs for stuff like this and actually know what they're doing. I sort of think Deadpool and the way that turned out was almost a fluke because Fox gave it such a low budget and they didn't think much of it, which means less attention to give to it and any potential business plan, that made it the way it was. Now they're in the post Deadpool mindset where anything is fair same to suffer now. Hopefully they learned they need a passionate filmmaker and writer who understands the material to get it.

This sounds really good. The only thing that gives me pause is this:

will be adapted by Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters writer-director Tommy Wirkola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"