Peyton Reed to direct, Adam McKay to rewrite Ant-man

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by samsnee, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Mike Murdock Registered

We don't know the extent of one vs. the other without seeing what the script looked like before, but I think that's underselling the contributions of Reed, Adam McCay, and Paul Rudd. I'd have no problem with them writing a sequel.

2. Macho Mantis Registered

Me neither.

3. Whiskey Tango Registered

Geez people act like Reed is Brett Ratner or something :dry:

4. Dyson Registered

Most of the time, directors on big-budgeted films, such as Ant-Man, get many months of pre-production. Good pre-production on any film is vital to making a film work. Peyton Reed had 9 weeks to prep this film. That's 2 months and 1 week. Seeing that he managed to make one heck of a good film with that little amount of time, I think he deserves a chance to prove how good of a director he can be if a sequel gets greenlit.

5. terry78 LET'S FOSSILIZE 'EM!

Sad, really.

6. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

Ant Man was a Peyton Reed film as much as it could be with the time he had and I think he pulled it off extremely well. It was basically a "jump in a plumetting plane, fix it and land" situation. Id love to see a 100% Peyton Reed AM sequel because he would have the actual pre production time to fully develop and fine tune it. Id also be very glad because we wouldnt have to discuss Edgar Wrights version anymore. Holy crap that is so old. And no hes not another Brett Ratner.

#231 TheVision, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  7. Dyson Registered

If Ant-Man 2 rolls around, I can see Peyton Reed and Adam McKay developing the story but it terms of the screenplay, I don't see Adam McKay writing it. Why? McKay is on the hot list for Marvel's upcoming slate of films, quite possibly in line for Inhumans. If would be absolutely awesome to have Peyton Reed return to the director's chair for a sequel, if not, another MCU film. Maybe Captain Marvel?

8. SomeOldGuy Registered

He'd be perfect for the Black Widow rom-com. :woot:

9. Mike Murdock Registered

There's nothing preventing him from doing both. There have been quite a few writers who have written more than one Marvel film.

10. Dyson Registered

If you are referring to Adam McKay, I can see him developing the story (Story by credit) for an Ant-Man 2 and writing and directing a whole other MCU film, like Inhumans.

11. Drz Real Hero

I really wasn't impressed with the directing of this movie when it came to action or comedic moments. Reed simply had too big shoes to fill after Wright left, I hope someone who can make more up beat action sequences will take over or Reed improves on those.

12. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

13. Mike Murdock Registered

I'll get to part two in a second, but there's also a link there to part one that's worth checking out. Apparently, the Microverse is connected to the Micronauts. That means Hasbro owns the rights (which is why they used Quantum Realm). I figured it was Fox or something. Not sure if Hasbro is better or worse.

14. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

"I have a sense Edgar Wright is probably over this situation, but it’s funny that a lot of his fans are not. His adult fans." - Peyton Reed

Booooooooooooooooom. Shots fired. #truth

I'm making that my signature. EDIT: As soon as I'm tenured enough to have one. LOL

15. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

More from that article .....

16. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

Peyton is every bit of a film geek as he could be. He knows film and he knows comics. He probably knows music too.

17. samsnee Ok

After reading that interview it's obvious Reed was the right man for the job.

18. Dyson Registered

Jesus. Even more mad respect for the guy!

The people who say that Peyton Reed brought nothing to the table for this movie, like YouTube's Beyond the Trailer with Grace, have NO idea what they are talking about.

Peyton Reed brought A LOT to Ant-Man and as far as I'm concerned, he was the best guy to bring this comic book character to left.

If Reed can't make Ant-Man 2, I would love to see him tackle another Marvel film. Clearly this guy loves marvel stories and characters.

19. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

After reading that interview, Reed was more than the right guy to take over. Even Wright continued communication with Reed while he was getting ready to film and never once did Reed feel any anger or bitterness towards the project from Wright. You tell from the comments on the story that many still don't believe anything Reed said and that he only followed through on Wright's vision.

20. Mike Murdock Registered

It's worse than that. They seem to attribute all successes to Wright and all failures to Reed.

He's very careful there not to a) crap on Wright (who still deserves a lot of credit) and b) not step on any toes when it comes to NDAs and general Marvel secrecy, but you can figure a couple of things. One, the Thomas the Tank Engine scene (probably the small version with Yellowjacket hunkering down as opposed to the enlarge and cause it to break through the house) is Edgar Wright. The Cure song and pretty much all of Michael Pena is Peyton Reed (and Adam McCay and Paul Rudd, they shouldn't be forgotten in this). I'd suggest most of Hank Pym in the movie was Reed. Wright probably had an interesting take, but his fake senile old man was not found in the movie. The Quantum Realm was Reed.

We can parse a lot and speculate (were the growing/shrinking discs Reed?), but my biggest takeaway is Don't do that. It's a collaborative process and Wright laid the framework Reed built upon. Assigning credit or blame is ultimately unproductive and assigning credit or blame without significant knowledge is terrible.

21. Whiskey Tango Registered

Sooner or later somebody's gonna have to make She-Hulk movie, is all I'm saying.

I don't either, but they also own ROM Spaceknight, which chaps my ass pretty hard.

Not read it yet but that is gold.

I agree fully but trolls are gonna troll (or maybe AICN's gonna AICN)

22. Just_Human Registered

I enjoy his interviews tbh

23. DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

Great Interviews. I think Reed did a pretty great job, especially with such a difficult project like Ant-Man.

24. Whiskey Tango Registered

You don't say :o

25. -JKR- Registered

I think 'Ant-man' had one of the best scripts Marvel Studios has ever had, with much of it being tailored to Edgar Wright's sensibilities. He would've really knocked it out of the park, and would've made the movie as special as some of its ideas are.

But none of what happened is Peyton Reed's fault. And you can't be too hard on him. He did a good job of delivering a movie amongst all the difficulties, and made a solid and fun flick. But he doesn't have that particular visual and exhilerating 'oomph,' and the movie ends up being quite conventional.

It could have been breathtaking, but I really enjoyed it anyway. Definitely one of the better Marvel movies, even without Wright on board.

I hated the Ant-man/Falcon confrontation, though. It felt unnecessary and tacked on, and took me a little bit out of the movie. The core of the movie was much more interesting than anything which had to do with the Avengers.