Aer Lingus drops Irish language

kainedamo

Superhero
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7145268.stm

Cead mile failte Kate!

Kate Hoey flew back to her native Belfast for this week's Let's Talk
The December edition of Let's Talk was dominated by the politics of sport and Irish language. Stephen Walker watched the last programme of 2007 unfold.
As Labour MP Kate Hoey flew into Belfast to take part in the Let's Talk programme she could have done some research on the plane.

Little did she know that the flying habits of one of the city's newest arrivals would be up for discussion later that day.

Aer Lingus, the latest airline to set up shop in Northern Ireland, has decided to drop the Irish language greeting to passengers on their Belfast flights.

The news hasn't fazed the County Antrim born politician.

"I really couldn't care less," she told the audience. Later adding, "as long as they speak English".

Kate Hoey's indifference wasn't shared by her fellow panellist.

Barbre De Brun, now an MEP, but once a member of the assembly, drew on her previous job.

"If I can get up at Stormont as the Minister for Health and speak in Irish why can't you give an announcement on a plane," she said.

Now I watched this edition of Let's Talk, and I'm surprised in this article they didn't include the really daft things Kate was saying. She really put her foot in her mouth.

One thing she said was is English is the chosen language of the world. Not true.

She also remarked on how great it was that the nations of the world are learning English :whatever:

All reasons to back up her idea that there is no reason for an Irish plane company, taking flights from Ireland, to have an irish language welcome.

One thing she said was is English is the chosen language of the world. Not true.

She also remarked on how great it was that the nations of the world are learning English

she's correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

Modern English is sometimes described as the global lingua franca. English is the dominant international language in communications, science, business, aviation, entertainment, radio and diplomacy.

over a billion people speak English at least at a basic level. English is one of six official languages of the United Nations.

While English is not an official language in most countries, it is currently the language most often taught as a second language around the world. Some linguists believe that it is no longer the exclusive cultural sign of "native English speakers", but is rather a language that is absorbing aspects of cultures worldwide as it continues to grow. It is, by international treaty, the official language for aerial and maritime communications, as well as one of the official languages of the European Union, the United Nations, and most international athletic organizations, including the International Olympic Committee.

Irish language? As in Gaelic? I was under the impression that it was dead.

I thought Irish language was english, just with a silly leprecauhn accent.

she's correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

Modern English is sometimes described as the global lingua franca. English is the dominant international language in communications, science, business, aviation, entertainment, radio and diplomacy.

over a billion people speak English at least at a basic level. English is one of six official languages of the United Nations.

While English is not an official language in most countries, it is currently the language most often taught as a second language around the world. Some linguists believe that it is no longer the exclusive cultural sign of "native English speakers", but is rather a language that is absorbing aspects of cultures worldwide as it continues to grow. It is, by international treaty, the official language for aerial and maritime communications, as well as one of the official languages of the European Union, the United Nations, and most international athletic organizations, including the International Olympic Committee.

Oh. Its you.

I think the Chinese would probably take exception to your argument.

Oh. Its you.

I think the Chinese would probably take exception to your argument.
this isn't a statement of fact based on population numbers. you do realize that, don't you?

this isn't a statement of fact based on population numbers. you do realize that, don't you?

Its really rather obvious.

There are more chinese people than any other type of people.

Over 1 billion people speak Chinese.

I think it's a smart move on their part. Yes, very cunning, Lingus.

and your statement is merely based upon the fact that English is mostly spoken out of necessity due to the fact that the US is an Economic super power.
you do realize that don't you?:o

plus, how did they use to greet you?
"top o' the morning to ye?"

and your statement is merely based upon the fact that English is mostly spoken out of necessity due to the fact that the US is an Economic super power.
you do realize that don't you?:o
uh, yes, which is why i pointed out to kd that she is correct. therefore, it is the chosen language, not Chinese. this official (MP or whatever) was not speaking in regards to population but in reference economics, business, culture, diplomacy, etc. this is something kainedamo is unable to understand.

The last two posters are banned users. Hahahaha.52

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"