Sequels AIM as Phase 2 Lynchpin?

L0ngsh0t

Superhero
Reaction score
With AIM being featured in IM3 anyone think or want AIM to be kind of the catalyst for Phase 2?

I def think they could be set up in IM3 to be the main bad guys in Cap 2....and then they could set up something for Avengers....possibly they are tracking the inifinty gems or something of that nature

Good thinking. Could be.
I just think, they'll merge Aldrich Kilian with the Scientist Supreme at least it looks that way atm.
Not sure if AIM's story can last longer than one movie if that's the case.

With AIM being featured in IM3 anyone think or want AIM to be kind of the catalyst for Phase 2?

I def think they could be set up in IM3 to be the main bad guys in Cap 2....and then they could set up something for Avengers....possibly they are tracking the inifinty gems or something of that nature

It's my understanding that in the comics they design their own cube. I believe in the MCU they will figure out a way to open a portal, at which point they will bring back the Red Skull to present day.

It's my understanding that in the comics they design their own cube. I believe in the MCU they will figure out a way to open a portal, at which point they will bring back the Red Skull to present day.

yeah that would be a cool story for CAP 2 (although my best guess is we will get a new villain)

I personally like the idea of them being like that secret organization in all the Bond films....pop up here and there, maybe never as the supreme villain, but always working against our guys

I think they are technologically well enough off to kind of jump start the cosmic aspects of MCU as well

That's a good angle. And have them reorganize HYDRA, with a modern HYDRA being the real source of the Ten Rings organization. Or even in competition with Mandarin's Ten Rings terrorist group, who knows.

yeah that would be a cool story for CAP 2 (although my best guess is we will get a new villain)

I personally like the idea of them being like that secret organization in all the Bond films....pop up here and there, maybe never as the supreme villain, but always working against our guys

I think they are technologically well enough off to kind of jump start the cosmic aspects of MCU as well

I don't think there's anything remotely secret about AIM in the MCU. Advanced Idea Mechanics in IM3 appears to be a tech company (which I've always advocated from the start). At least above board. Dr. Killian seems to be its CEO. Behind the scenes, though, they're probably secretly funded by HYDRA and/or other nasties.

This is a fantastic thought! (Are you guys mechanics that specialize in advanced ideas or something??)

It could also tie in with Jane Foster/Erik Selvig in Thor 2, since the "Foster Theory" that Erik mentions in the end credits scene for Thor has to do with exactly this, and Erik already built the portal device twice in Avengers... I wonder if Stellan Skarsgard is signed on for Thor 2. Also, Jane and Thor are going to have to get together somehow, aren't they?

"She searches for you." ~Heimdall

Last edited:
Thinking about this some more, if AIM were the lynchpin that led into TA2, what would be the endgame? We established how they could connect the Iron Man, Thor, and Cap sequels neatly, but what would be the culminating threat that originates from them and would force the heroes to reassemble in TA2? I really can't imagine it being M.O.D.O.K.--I would laugh so hard.

SHIELD/Coulson and the Cosmic Cube were lynchpins for Phase I, which culminated in Loki's use of the cube to create a portal for aliens invading and the Avengers assembling. If you have AIM make their own cube to also make a portal to other worlds, it might seem a bit redundant. What do you guys think?

I don't care what film he's in, I just wanna see MODOK in one of the phase II films, it would be funny and awesome.

Thinking about this some more, if AIM were the lynchpin that led into TA2, what would be the endgame? We established how they could connect the Iron Man, Thor, and Cap sequels neatly, but what would be the culminating threat that originates from them and would force the heroes to reassemble in TA2? I really can't imagine it being M.O.D.O.K.--I would laugh so hard.

SHIELD/Coulson and the Cosmic Cube were lynchpins for Phase I, which culminated in Loki's use of the cube to create a portal for aliens invading and the Avengers assembling. If you have AIM make their own cube to also make a portal to other worlds, it might seem a bit redundant. What do you guys think?

Good point

I think there could easily be a SHIELD mirroring going on with AIM, however they don't have the same moral backbone as our heroes so they use Alien tech and actually find away to bring Thanos too Earth....or they can build a space craft that can travel the Universe etc.

What if instead of MODOK, AIM created Korvac? Korvac is a little overly complicated as is, coming from an alternate reality future.

Korvac would get a little out of hand. Even MODOK would look like a parody on the big screen. With IM3 featuring what has thus far been reported, I think HYDRA/AIM would fit with Cap 2. Cap 2 should be about integration of Steve Rogers into society although I am not sure that can carry the movie alone (aside from a predictable villain and climax).

I am skeptical that Cap 2 can offer a very compelling story at the moment. It needs to feature some heavy thematic elements pertaining to government intervention on society while offering political commentary applicable today. I hope it is not just Rogers finding a new girl friend in the 21st century, kicking HYDRA's ash, and calling it a day. I would feature Baron Von Strucker and/or Baron Zemo as the villain. MODOK would be pushing it.

I could definitely see AIM as the main antagonists in Cap 2. Unless they have some role in brining Thanos to earth; I think their significance will stop there.

I think Modok could definitely work, especially if they make him really gruesome. I can see Modok as being similar in spirit to "Pearl" from Blade 1 or Baron Harokonnen from Dune.

Maybe AIM or Hydra can lead up, somehow, to the formation of the Masters of Evil in Avengers 2.

Okay, if I may transform this thread into a lynchpin discussion in general...

What other story elements/characters would you want/expect to see, if not AIM? In a few other threads in the multiple MCU-related forums, SWORD has been mentioned as a suitable vehicle for the MCU's expansion to the cosmos. Thanks to the introduction of the World Security Council and the alien invasion in The Avengers, the establishment of SWORD is a logical next step that could fit into all of the Phase II movies to some degree. What do you think?

Also, thanks to A:EMH, we have seen SWORD as a great way to introduce Ms. Marvel to the MCU. What do you guys think of the idea of Carol Danvers as the Phil Coulson of Phase II? If not her, would you want someone else to be a Phil Coulson of Phase II?

Okay, if I may transform this thread into a lynchpin discussion in general...

What other story elements/characters would you want/expect to see, if not AIM? In a few other threads in the multiple MCU-related forums, SWORD has been mentioned as a suitable vehicle for the MCU's expansion to the cosmos. Thanks to the introduction of the World Security Council and the alien invasion in The Avengers, the establishment of SWORD is a logical next step that could fit into all of the Phase II movies to some degree. What do you think?

Also, thanks to A:EMH, we have seen SWORD as a great way to introduce Ms. Marvel to the MCU. What do you guys think of the idea of Carol Danvers as the Phil Coulson of Phase II? If not her, would you want someone else to be a Phil Coulson of Phase II?

I think the logical step to getting a new "Coulson" would be to get another "normal" SHIELD agent, instead of a superhero(ine). Jasper Sitwell was already established in the Marvel one-shots; seems logical that he could pick up where Coulson left off.

I think the logical step to getting a new "Coulson" would be to get another "normal" SHIELD agent, instead of a superhero(ine). Jasper Sitwell was already established in the Marvel one-shots; seems logical that he could pick up where Coulson left off.
Hmmm... I understand the practicality (cheapness) of using a SHIELD agent, but I would imagine most people would always make the comparison to Coulson and find the replacement lacking. If you go a completely different direction, it could be fresh and new and exciting. Introducing a new superhero through this avenue could be pretty awesome.

Hmmm... I understand the practicality (cheapness) of using a SHIELD agent, but I would imagine most people would always make the comparison to Coulson and find the replacement lacking. If you go a completely different direction, it could be fresh and new and exciting. Introducing a new superhero through this avenue could be pretty awesome.

I don't think so, Coulson kinda served his purpose, new SHIELD agents that come into the films, will not be recruiting heroes anymore i would think, they would serve a different purpose...

Personally I'd hope they introduce Quartermain as the new main SHIELD agent. Have him be a real soldier type, the pinnacle of SHIELD's best agents. Someone that followers orders and just looks like he will beat your ash!!

As for the superhero thing, heres hoping that Jessica Drew does make it as a SHIELD agent soon!!

I don't think so, Coulson kinda served his purpose, new SHIELD agents that come into the films, will not be recruiting heroes anymore i would think, they would serve a different purpose...

Personally I'd hope they introduce Quartermain as the new main SHIELD agent. Have him be a real soldier type, the pinnacle of SHIELD's best agents. Someone that followers orders and just looks like he will beat your ash!!

As for the superhero thing, heres hoping that Jessica Drew does make it as a SHIELD agent soon!!
Hmmm, I know what you're saying, but I was talking about how Phil Coulson ended up becoming the glue that held Phase I together, the lynchpin. As awesome as Quartermain would be (and hopefully he'll show up), I still don't see him or any other SHIELD agent being able to reach that symbolic status that Coulson achieved without automatically drawing comparisons to him. Granted, anyone who serves this role would draw comparisons too, but withd someone like Carol Danvers or Jessica Drew, you can get people even more excited about a lynchpin than just feeling, "oh, this is the new Coulson replacement."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"