Comics Amazing Spider-Man #609 spoilers/discussion

stillanerd

Sidekick
Reaction score
So, no thread on this one yet? Very well then, I start things off:

*Just like last issue, I like how there’s an actual and logical reason to have different artists for the story, as it makes all the sense in the world for one artist (in this case two) to do the flashbacks while the other depicts the events from the present day. And Checchetto, Ross, and Maygar work are both nicely rendered. Although certainly the “flashback” scenes still have the problem of making Peter and Damon look too much alike in terms of physical appearance. (I know this is a story about clones, but jeez).

*However, I’m not so sure about Guggenheim’s script though. The dialogue, at times, feels rather clunky and while Spider-Man’s banter is supposed to be on the cheesy side, some of his jokes really stunk. (I mean, “That’s REALLY by the way, not REILLY”? “[email protected]“? Excuse me while I wretch).

*The other problem Guggenheim has is that, from the looks of things, the story appears to be shaping up towards a very predictable outcome. It’s all but telegraphed that, in the flashback tale, Ryder’s family will be revealed to have perished in the fire as a result of Kaine (hiding outside the house) barging in and attacking Ben just as he’s trying to sedate the mutating Ryder. And, of course, Harry and the three Reilly girls won’t learn that Peter is really Spider-Man despite the fact he’s preparing to lift up his shirt to expose his costume (and, as Wacker revealed for issue #610, he’s in his Spidey costume sans mask in front of Ryder) because, thanks to the psychic blindspot “rules” Peter didn’t literally “remove his mask” and thus Harry and the Reilly girls will think he was “pretending” to be Spider-Man to fool and distract Ryder.

*Not that the story doesn’t have it’s moments. I like the fact that Kaine knows Peter is Spider-Man because, as the story says, it makes all the sense in the world that Peter’s clone should know since he technically is him. Same goes for the fact Ben pointing out how Stegron was the other guy who injected himself with Dinosaur DNA, something which I complained about Raptor being a knock-off of last time, so kudos to Guggenheim for having this be pointed out in the story. (Although that certainly doesn’t make Raptor any less of a half-baked 1990s inspired and derivative villain with a motivation that, when looked under scrutiny, is big enough for a…well a Dinosaur to stomp through).

*Still, there were scenes which just didn’t do it for me. Screwball calling out Spider-Man via a hacked-in video blog just seemed like nothing but pointless filler that seemed to have nothing to do with the overall story at hand (unless she winds up getting recruited by Kraven’s wife or daughter towards the end for the Gauntlet or something). Also, Peter and Michelle’s interaction only served three purposes: 1. Show that last issue’s cliffhanger was (surprise) a fake out and set-up the real threat, 2. Have an excuse for Michele to wear skimpy clothing and show off her belly-button stud, and 3. Provide yet ANOTHER instance for Michele to whine and make veiled threats at Peter over a simple misunderstanding (seriously, who is SHE to talk about him violating her privacy when she has both given his clothes away to the goodwill without his permission and mulched his personal belongings down the garbage disposal?)

So all in all, while I don’t think this is a bad story, it’s not a really great one. It’s just an average Spider-Man story with some above-average artwork that doesn’t look as though it will have much impact (unless Peter DOESN’T get out of the cliffhanger at the end).

Haven't read the issue, but hooo boy, gotta feel bad for Guggs after reading this:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42776

Think he'll come crawling back to Spidey?

It's hard for me to say, is this his main source of income? He seems to be a guy that has a few things happening at once.

Well, guys here's my thoughts on this issue:

Another great issue!

The flashbacks were really descent, Ross's artwork improves, and Kaine actually makes a couple appearances and is now implicated in the fire that takes the lives Ryder's family.

We also get a Spidey thought balloon about the mindwipe (thank god!), acknowledging that his clones would remember who he is (although it's news to him)! Yea! Kaine remembers Peter! (Gawd, this mindwipe thing really needs to go away...)

Also the Peter / Michelle interaction was surprisingly interesting even though we're shocked that Damon Ryder didn't hurt her at all, but we later find out why this is, since it's Peter's family that he's after.

And there's still a Screwball subplot, meaning her appearance last issue wasn't completely random! How she ties into all this remains to be seen, however.

Checchetto's art once again delivers great action sequences although there is a panel or two that seems rushed and devolves into, believe it or not, a McKone Spidey alien head! Ha! I know how much everyone loves alien Spidey heads! Somehow Checchetto tricks the brain into seeing movement and that one is reading a page or two from a pop-out book. Great stuff for sure!

Guggenheim's style is tight here too, leaving us (and Peter) surprises like a little furry stuffed animal in a small box which we find out later is a toy from one of Damon's deceased kids. Not only that, we get a Stegron reference which tells us Guggenheim does have a clue, but went ahead with his dino-idea anyways. All this and a good cliffhanger, to boot! Peter's cousins are tied up and Harry's apparently too weak to do anything about it and... wait! Doesn't Harry have Goblin strength?!?

Damn it, right when I was going to give this thing an A. Anyways Peter might reveal he's Spider-Man. Wouldn't that be something? Not!

Another A-, (I'm shocked it was this good, best Guggenheim Spidey story to be certain. Too bad he's leaving, or maybe I should wait for the last issue before saying that...)

----------------------------
Combustible Pumpkins

I legit loled at the Taylor Swift/Kanye joke.

I thought it was a good issue, not as good as last one, but i thought the art was top notch.

I legit loled at the Taylor Swift/Kanye joke.

I thought it was a good issue, not as good as last one, but i thought the art was top notch.

I love what is going on in Spider-Man now.

I moderately like what is going on in Spider-Man now.

I must say this is another near perfect issue. I love the art. Very consistent to ASM 608. Its great to be seeing more and more of Kaine. The comic makes the possibility of Kaine killing the Ryder family even higher. However, nothing is confirmed as of yet.

Peter Parker, is definitely not the nerdy guy in this comic. I love the last panel as he is ready to reveal his identity. No more being pushed around as Peter the civilian who can't fight. ( like in the old days when he was bullied in school)

Relationship between michelle and Peter is also interesting. Could something develop in the future?

I also thought this was a great issue. I feel like I've said this already somewhere before but I think this current arc is awesome. There are two things that stuck out like sore thumbs though, and those two things are: The Screwball story seems kinda forced, and the whole people evolved from dinosaurs thing is ridiculous.
Other than that, I love the art and I like the nineties-ness of Raptor. It fits in perfectly since this story involves Ben Rielly, and Kaine - soooo 90's.
I think the cliffhanger is cool, too.

Last edited:
I hate what is going on in spider-man now.
Any REAL Spider-Man fan should.

We were stuck in the 70's an 80's with repeats of it's stories and now we've just taken a detour to the 90's to pick up a plot thread from it.

This book seriously needs to get good again and like fast.

As a REAL Spider-Man fan, I love the new direction of the book. :)

Eh. Then no, you must hate progression. Something a REAL Spider-Man fan would want, now he's stuck in his past decades with a new paint job.

Eh. Then no, you must hate progression. Something a REAL Spider-Man fan would want, now he's stuck in his past decades with a new paint job.

Who are YOU to say who's a REAL Spider-Man fan or not?? What an elitist, arrogant attitude you're displaying here. For all you know, Meehaul could have been reading Spidey since you were still in diapers. Spidey fans come in all shapes and sizes. Some may hate the new direction and some love it, but they're all REAL fans! He posts on this message-board, doesn't he?

Yes, but doesn't make him a real fan. Doesn't make me a real fan either though. :o

Sigh.... do we REALLY need to get into this "real" fan argument?

I've been reading Spidey for nearly 35+ years, as have Donald Thomas, iloveclones, Captain Stacy & farmernudie... yet we're no meore "real" fans than anybody who's just getting into the book NOW...

We're just "fans"... :up:

The liking/disliking of the direction at anytime from 1963 to today is irrelevant, because your likes/dislikes are subjective; therefore, they have nothing to do on whether you're a "fan" or not.

:yay:

Yup! I agree. I was just being a goof. The whole "real" fan argument is about as silly as it gets, as is the "stories all all repeated" argument" or the "character needs to progress" argument. It winds up all being a matter of taste. The truth is that with a character who never really ages caught in a story that never really ends, you are destined to go directions some fans will hate/like (marriage/no marriage), add things that some fans will like/hate (organics/web shooters) and repeat the same sorts of stories over and over again. I've been reading ASM for a very long time and can pretty much agree with the old quotation "there is nothing new under the sun." There are, however, stories well told and not so well told and art that is good and art that is not so good. And people invariably have preferences about whether they want Pete married, single, gay, able to lift 20 tons able to lift 5 tons, whatever. I have a version of Pete I like, that is true to how I see the character, but I have no monopoly over how he ought to be presented. It's all fun to yammer about, though!

Last edited:
Honestly though, I think if there could be a definition to the term "real fan" it would probably have to be someone who enjoys the product unconditionally. And that's just the beginning. A real fan would probably also have a shrine, official marketing, and a life devoted to said product.
That's a real fan.
A real fan would stick thru the thick and thin, and wouldn't give up in dark times.

I believe everyone who thinks a real fan is someone who won't put up with bad stories is not a real fan.

I would just classify myself a fan.

I have a shrine to ASM and I occasionally sacrifice goats, lambs, and morning doves there.

I love spidey so that is the only reason i am still buying amazing just because ilove spidey.

Sigh.... do we REALLY need to get into this "real" fan argument?

I've been reading Spidey for nearly 35+ years, as have Donald Thomas, iloveclones, Captain Stacy & farmernudie... yet we're no meore "real" fans than anybody who's just getting into the book NOW...

We're just "fans"... :up:

The liking/disliking of the direction at anytime from 1963 to today is irrelevant, because your likes/dislikes are subjective; therefore, they have nothing to do on whether you're a "fan" or not.

:yay:

Me too! :woot:

I would consider all those TMOB listed (as well as TMOB) "real" fans, and they are on both sides of this direction.

Reminds me of the battles between "real" Star War fans on which movies and shows are "real" Star Wars.

Anyway, what I think "REAL" Spider-Man fans should be doing is supporting The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon which is danger of cancellation. It is THE best adaptation of the character in any form!

Anyway, what I think "REAL" Spider-Man fans should be doing is supporting The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon which is danger of cancellation. It is THE best adaptation of the character in any form!

It is a great show, but I would say it is second best to the 90's Spidey show.

It is a great show, but I would say it is second best to the 90's Spidey show.

I'd say the opposite. The 90's show was a great show, but I say it is second best to Spectacular.

Spectacular is more faithful to the comic and much more fluid animation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"