Comics Amazing Spider-Man #616 spoilers/discussion

stillanerd

Sidekick
Reaction score
Well, the last issue of Amazing Spider-Man for the year is here, and here’s what I thought:

*First of all, I’m glad I was wrong about how I thought the “murder mystery” would turn out, as I assumed that the Sandman wasn’t actually guilty and that Keemia wasn’t actually his real daughter but a sand construct. I also thought it was a clever touch to reveal that the missing weapons were actually pieces of the Sandman left behind which then ended up getting dissolved (although that begs the question why the Sandman would create weapons that could be left behind at the scene of the crime to begin with). I like it when I usually don’t guess things right because predictability is certainly not something you should have in your comics, so Fred Van Lente did a pretty decent job on that score.

*The highlight of the issue for me was Javier Puldio’s artwork, as this time he seemed to pull out all the stops in the Sandman chasing Spidey as he tried to escape with Keemia. From the scenes in which Spidey is attempting to escape from being literally inside the Sandman, to the various depictions of the Sandman doppelgangers, to the climatic battle inside the service tower, Pulido’s art never let up on depicting the action.

*I also like the twist in that Keemia didn’t actually want to leave, that she wanted to stay with the Sandman because she, unlike at home, was a princess in her own fairy kingdom. Likewise, that even though the Flint Marko is apparently not her biological father for obvious reasons, the fact that he still felt a paternal duty towards her nevertheless does show a sympathetic side to him, although, yes, that still doesn’t give him the right to be a criminal, and now a murderer, and it does admittedly borrow too much from Spider-Man 3.

*However, for some reason, there were three big disappointments I had with this issue. In the first place, while the solution to the mystery is clever, in that some of Flint Marko’s Sandman doppelgangers were acting independently based on his subconscious desires, it seems rather repetitive in light of Doctor Octopus’ mechanical “octobots” also acting on his subconscious desires in issue #600. Not to mention, as I’m sure others will have pointed out, this depiction of Sandman is now basically another take on what Peter David did with Jamie Madrox a.k.a. the Multiple Man over in X-Factor. Also, as I pointed out last time, it’s an extension of what Zeb Wells did with the Sandman in Peter Parker: Spider-Man vol. 2, and coincidentally enough, Wells IS one of the brain trust/webheads.

*Second, while the end was showing that Spidey’s heroic actions do not always result in happy endings, as Keemia is now shuffled off into foster care, I couldn’t help but feel it was a tad bit forced. I’m not familiar with New York’s child protection laws, but I find it a bit implausible that Child Services would take away Keemia from her grandmother on just ONE instance in which she left Keemia outside to play while she was watching T.V. I mean, there were other kids playing with Keemia unsupervised and yet you don’t hear anything about THOSE kids being taken away from their parents and guardians for being “unfit” do you?

*And finally, there was the scene at the Coffee Bean with Peter and Carlie Cooper. It’s apparent that the writers are pushing her as a future love interest for Peter here (and technically, they have been pushing her somewhat ever since the start of Brand New Day), but for all intends and purposes, there is just no spark between these two. Make no mistake, Carlie is a nice character and I like the angle of her being a forensic pathologist, but after two years, I just do not find her all that interesting. I’ve often said that I believe she’s just a surrogate for Gwen Stacy, and this scene pretty much underscored it. I would bet that if Joe Quesada got his way and Gwen Stacy was still alive and that she was in Carlie’s place, then this scene--especially Carlie‘s statements regarding what her cop father once told her--would have played out the exact same way. To me, that is not a good sign if your characters can be that derivative.

So all in all, while this still was a pretty good issue, I wasn’t nearly as enthusiastic about it as I was the last one, and a result, we just end up with a merely okay Spider-Man vs. Sandman story. At least we didn’t get [BLACKOUT]an obligatory Sasha or Ana Kravinoff recruitment scene like in the Waid’s Electro three-parter, but it also felt like it really wasn’t all that connected to “the Gauntlet” either.[/BLACKOUT] So two stories into this “event” and it’s just coming across as business as usual, which I don’t think is something the brain trust/webheads can afford to do.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Hey, whadoyaknow, more thoughts on yet another Spidey issue! It even comes with a letter grade as if I'm teaching this stuff. :awesome:

Yeah, I enjoyed this issue. The new Sandman development works, splitting himself apart fractured his mind somehow unleashing his murderous id. Ok, that I get, but what was with the random murder weapons? I liked that we were thrown off by last issue's Sandman not knowing about the killings and leaving us the clue in multiplicity, (the answer to the mystery being the last page) fun stuff; yet I'll ask again, why the murder weapons?

Another thing that gnaws me... since when is Sandman blatantly crazy? He always seemed stable before, just a guy down on his luck, ya know? Now he's obsessed with being a strange little girl's daddy... well, supposedly she's not a stranger, but it's unclear how they met if Mr. Marko’s rendezvous with her momma wasn’t to get dirty! Shyeeeah, whatever. In fact the logic behind Flint's unconscious murdering the girl's mom sorta breaks down when you think about it. It's a sad occurrence for a harden criminal: loving someone else's kid and jealous enough to kill the parent. Oh well, more psychology to explore I suppose.

Oh, one more thing: Spidey placing the girl in front of himself as he's hurtling towards a wall was totally cruel! Could you imagine if it didn't work? I wonder if he'd still have that conversation with Carlie afterwards about doing the wrong thing. "Umm...yeah, you ever take a risk that led to a little girl’s face being all smashed up? It's a tough one, Carlie, I tell ya..."

Still love Van Lente's script writing. Pulido draws a beautiful Spidey and Sandman, but the everyday people... not so interesting.

B
----------------------------------------
Combustible Pumpkins

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back