Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78484
Source: CBS Films
June 8, 2011

american-assassin.jpg

Oscar-winning director Edward Zwick (The Last Samurai, Blood Diamond) has signed on to direct a feature adaptation of the Vince Flynn best-selling novel American Assassin. The project is officially described as follows:

'American Assassin' tells the story of legendary CIA agent Mitch Rapp. Long before he began hunting terrorists, Rapp was a gifted college scholar/athlete. Then, tragedy struck and Rapp was recruited into the nation’s most elite covert operations program. After completing training designed to teach the kind of lethal skills necessary to target our most dangerous enemies, here and abroad, he is a man reborn with a mission of retribution.

Zwick has adapted the screenplay himself alongside Marshall Herskovitz (The Last Samurai). Both will produce alongside Lorenzo di Bonaventura (Transformers, RED) and Nick Wechsler (The Road, We Own The Night).

"The Mitch Rapp novels are as thrilling and entertaining as they are relevant,” said Zwick, “and I am delighted to be given the opportunity to translate them to the screen."

American Assassin is the eleventh entry in the Mitch Rapp series. Another adaptation, Consent to Kill is also in development by CBS Films.

Coincidently I actually ordered this book from Amazon yesterday, I'm a fan of Zwick's work and love espionage thrillers, so I'm looking forward to this.

Zwick is such a bland director. All of his films are by the numbers with absolutely no style.

Variety is reporting that Bruce Willis is up for the role of Mitch Rapp's trainer and mentor.

Comingsoon.net messed me up because when I read their version of the story it made it sound like Willis was in the running for the main lead and it didn't specifically state Willis would be playing the mentor role, just the lead. And was I like, WTF Willis playing Rapp in Rapp's ORIGIN STORY?! Variety has their stupid pay wall so I didn't see their take on the story until later.

I assume Willis is up for the Stan Hurley character. They are starting with the origin story and prequel book for Mitch Rapp so its clear that the producers want a franchise here and want to start chronologically at the beginning.

If you want the gist of the Vince Flynn/Mitch Rapp books, they are basically 24 in novel form and without the real time gimmick. I used to think a lot of 24 plots were like direct ripoffs of Vince Flynn but then I saw that Flynn even worked as a story consultant for 24 so . . . I guess its OK. Mitch Rapp and Jack Bauer are cut from the same cloth and their characters are virtually identical. Pretty much the exact same things have happened to them beat for beat. Wife murdered by terrorists. Gets president on the line and faces them with tough decision. Bends the truth with his superiors. Brutally tortures and threatens suspects also with knives. In fact there is one moment in 24 where one of Jack's torture line is word for word something Rapp says in a book once.

So who do you get to play a young Mitch Rapp fresh out of college and going into the CIA to become an elite killer/special operative? Keep in mind Chris Pine is already playing Jack Ryan ;) .

Liam Hemsworth?

^possibly i cant see another actor around the age to be believable out of college yet can legitimately look like he can kick ass

liam is even taller than chris i beleive

Hemsworth did well for the small role he had in Expendables 2 so I think he could do young Mitch Rapp and this could potentially be his breakout role.

But yeah the other thing is you want it to be a guy who looks big and looks like he could've been a young college athlete and not these girly looking boys. I think Liam Hemsworth could fit that mold. When I've read the books, I imagine Mitch being a really ripped intimidating figure. Since this story is Rapp before he becomes like a stone cold government killer, I think Hemsworth would work pretty well.

I think what's interesting is that you could sort of make these movies into basically the anti-Bourne franchise and maybe play with that a little bit.

Variety reports that CHRIS Hemsworth was offered the role of Mitch Rapp.

So the studio was thinking Hemsworth, just Chris Hemsworth instead.

Fantastic duo there. Especially if Mr. Church is firing on all cylinders like he has been lately.

Awesome. Especially since Bruce is a lizard in human skin lol. We need badass action Keaton in our lives.

I'm loving this casting. Can't wait to see who they get for Rapp

Taylor Kitsch Enlisted To Join ‘American Assassin’
Taylor Kitsch is set to join Dylan O’Brien and Michael Keaton in CBS Films and Lionsgate’s American Assassin, the movie adaptation of Vince Flynn’s bestseller. Michael Cuesta is directing the thriller from a screenplay by Stephen Schiff.The pic follows the rise of Mitch Rapp (O’Brien) a CIA black ops recruit under the instruction of Cold War veteran Stan Hurley (Keaton). The pair is then enlisted by CIA Deputy Director Irene Kennedy to investigate a wave of apparently random attacks on both military and civilian targets. Together the three discover a pattern in the violence leading them to a joint mission with a lethal Turkish agent to stop a mysterious operative (Kitsch) intent on starting a world war in the Middle East.
http://deadline.com/2016/08/taylor-kitsch-american-assassin-movie-vince-flynn-1201805580/

Finally a release date

Dylan O’Brien Mitch Rapp Movie ‘American Assassin’ Targets Fall Date

Lionsgate’s American Assassin will open on Sept. 15. Pic, directed by Michael Cuesta, is based on the bestselling Vince Flynn novel series, with Dylan O’Brien starring as title character Mitch Rapp, a CIA black ops recruit who carries out covert counter-terrorist operations. Michael Keaton stars as Stan Hurley, Rapp’s instructor.

I need this trailer.

17629940_10155180768091617_4012479157648235953_n.jpg

17554180_10155180774266617_1225503287808665012_n.jpg

O'Brien may have to get that Marvel role sooner than later.

I have really been into Sanaa Lathan lately. Just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"