American filmmaker sues Rumsfeld for two month detainment by US military.

sinewave said:
Hey, Rayne's back! Yay!!! :rolleyes:

I know you've missed me. Truth is, I just don't have the time to spend on these boards anymore. I thought I'd stop in and see what was happening. That "economy" comment made me giggle. Hope you all are well.

roach said:
as a member of the US military this story puzzles me on several levels.
If I was in another country and the US started attacking the country my first inclination would be to get out. Now if I decided to stay to complete my filming the instant US troops came up on me they would know I was an American and prior service. The troops in Iraq have email capability as I have recieve several emails from my buddies over there. The military has a database they can go to to check to see if he was in the military. All this verification takes about a day or two....which leads me to question what really happened....

....and for the guys crying out for the people held at Gitmo...where is the public outcry for the soldiers accused(not charged) of the massacre in Hayditha. They are being held in a maximum security military prison in California.

That depends on secure they needed the transmission of the identity of the ex-soldier. If in the commander's eyes that email wasn't sufficiently secure, than they would have had to courier the information back and forth.

If I were military and I had ex-military running around a war zone for no real reason other than self-proclaimed ones and being caught with bomb making material, I'd be vetting this guy's butt until the cows came home.

War Lord said:
That depends on secure they needed the transmission of the identity of the ex-soldier. If in the commander's eyes that email wasn't sufficiently secure, than they would have had to courier the information back and forth.

If I were military and I had ex-military running around a war zone for no real reason other than self-proclaimed ones and being caught with bomb making material, I'd be vetting this guy's butt until the cows came home.
But you're not, so the hypothetical helped nothing but post count

So who cares what you would if you were in the Canadian military?

Addendum said:
So who cares what you would if you were in the Canadian military?

My position is the same, whether or not I was in the military.

Which is in your mommy's house, looking over your shoulder for your nephew's dangerous wet spaghetti punches...

:D

...That was a joke...

Addendum said:
Which is in your mommy's house, looking over your shoulder for your nephew's dangerous wet spaghetti punches...

:D

...That was a joke...

I don't worry about my nephew.

We haven't spoken since the incident and I'm very glad for it.

And you can never look at a plate of spaghetti the same way again...:(

Hmmmmm... green flag, black cross with a white border. That looks vaguely Scandinavian. What flag is that Addendum?

Ahh. Interesting. So I was partially right. It does have some derivation from the Norse lands... Looks good.

Rayne said:
...Hope you all are well.
Thanks Rayne. Hope you are as well and good to see you. :up:

Truthteller said:
Ahh. Interesting. So I was partially right. It does have some derivation from the Norse lands... Looks good.
I've liked it since I first saw it in '96. Been a Type O Negative fan since I first heard them in '93.

I guess Peter had a lot of free time to create it while working for the New York Park Commission trimming hedges :D

War Lord said:

Okay, I'm only half sure what you said, so let me see if I can clarify: you're saying that if the C.O. isn't sure that the e-mail is secure, it could take them a long time to figure out if the guy was legit or not?

bored said:
Okay, I'm only half sure what you said, so let me see if I can clarify: you're saying that if the C.O. isn't sure that the e-mail is secure, it could take them a long time to figure out if the guy was legit or not?
psst...

Jonty just wants to be like O'Reilly and other "pundits" on the tv. He's an expert on nothing :D

I've noticed. Especially with what I think he was saying, pretty weak against the word of an actual member of the US Armed Forces.

bored said:
I've noticed. Especially with what I think he was saying, pretty weak against the word of an actual member of the US Armed Forces.

Jonty talks out of his ass so much I would not be surprised to learn that his sphincter has teeth.

jag

bored said:

No, if the military cannot be sure of a secure internet connection (in terms of not being spied upon) they aren't going to use an internet connection to send sensitive documents back and forth. They will do it the hard way by use of an army courier.

Needing to know if a former soldier is legit is probably not of such high importance that they'd spend the resources to send one soldier back home to get the necessary information and fly back over night. The request would be sent through the normal military system and they'd have to wait. Considering that they are in Iraq, it could take up to three weeks or longer for them to do this.

You might ask, "Well, why was he held for 55 days instead of 3 weeks?" My answer is that, while it was important for them to find out who he was, it was obviously not the most pressing matter for them to attend to and he had to wait in line to become the most pressing issue of the day.

These are things to consider when going to places of hostilities to do a story. It is possible that you might not come home at all or you might be considered an enemy by your side.

Addendum said:
psst...

Jonty just wants to be like O'Reilly and other "pundits" on the tv. He's an expert on nothing :D

We're all speculating until we find out more facts. Unlike yourself, I'm not prepared to judge the military harshly for what they did, because what they did wasn't unreasonable in my opinion.

No, I'm keeping a healthy amount of skepticism.

I have never blindly trusted anyone, nor is anyone deserving

Addendum said:
No, I'm keeping a healthy amount of skepticism.

I have never blindly trusted anyone, nor is anyone deserving

A healthy amount of skepticism is not continual doubt.

To be continually doubting everything is to be called a cynic.

Addendum said:
So when should I care

When your ass is in court because somebody's suing you for libel.

That's a pretty good time to care.

War Lord said:
When your ass is in court because somebody's suing you for libel.

That's a pretty good time to care.
lol

Are you drunk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"