America's Healthcare Crisis

Maxwell Smart

Superhero
Reaction score
This topic is brought up from time to time, so I thought it could use it's own thread.

As most people know, we have over 40 million people in America without proper healthcare coverage.

What is the solution? On one hand universal healthcare seems like it could address the problems we have currently, but it would bring new problems. Chief of which is the bureacracy involved.

A friend of mine recently suggested a way of fixing the problem but without having to resort to the above. Why not have the Government subsidise insurance premiums? It's essentially like all the other transfer payments that currently exist. Your average Joe might save a $100 a year on his company insurance plan and thus not notice the extra $60 that came out of his paycheck in taxes, however, the guy painting fences for a living will notice, because all of a sudden, when his son breaks his arm, he can take him to a half decent hospital.

All you need is love. Love is all you need.

Get a decent job, that's the solution.

If the Scatman can do it, so can you.

Milkman95 said:
Get a decent job, that's the solution.
Right, because that's so easy without a decent education or a chance at college.

The only solution is for all of us to live in Scatman's World. I'm calling out from Scatland.

Well, get a decent education then.

Sorry, not everything can be given away, go out an earn it.

Milkman95 said:
Well, get a decent education then.

Sorry, not everything can be given away, go out an earn it.
You really believe in equal education opportunities in this country, don't you?

I got news for you: The Easter Bunny doesn't exist either.

I've never understood how any of this is the governments responsibility. When I was poor, if I got sick or had a bad tooth, I was screwed, and was well aware of the reason. The reason was that I didn't work, or I did work, but at a crap-job.
Later, I got a good job. Now I'm not screwed when I get sick.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
I've never understood how any of this is the governments responsibility. When I was poor, if I got sick or had a bad tooth, I was screwed, and was well aware of the reason. The reason was that I didn't work, or I did work, but at a crap-job.
And it was all your fault? You chose to be poor? Trust me, son, you were the exception.

Regardless, it's government's responsibility because that's why government exists. What other reason would there possibly be? We don't expect people to pay for their own education, or their own roads.

Wilhelm-Scream said:

You realize that the extreme conclusion of your agument is that poor people don't deserve to live, do you?

Wilhelm-Scream said:

Agreed. Go get a job and earn quality health coverage. The government can't give hand-outs for everything.........

Wilhelm-Scream said:

AGREED.

Milkman95 said:
Agreed. Go get a job and earn quality health coverage. The government can't give hand-outs for everything.........

We're not talking about somebody begging for 20 bucks to go buy a rock of crack, we're talking about people's health. This is a basic human rights issue- and it reflects horribly on our society that we even have to argue over this. In Europe its an assumed right to have equal access to healthcare. Its not even a political issue, liberals and conservatives alike support the healthcare system in those countries, for the most part.

Milkman95 said:
Sorry Mister Smith we can't treat your infection, have a nice time dying.

That's what you're advocating with your stance.

Emrys said:
You realize that the extreme conclusion of your agument is that poor people don't deserve to live, do you?
uh, no. I feel I deserved to live when I was poor. :confused:
But I didn't think it was the government's responsibility to care for me like it was my Mommy and Daddy. :confused:

Wilhelm-Scream said:
uh, no. I feel I deserved to live when I was poor. :confused:
But I didn't think it was the government's responsibility to care for me like it was my Mommy and Daddy. :confused:

So if you contracted a serious infection which your immune system couldn't cope with, what would you have done?

Maxwell Smart said:
We're not talking about somebody begging for 20 bucks to go buy a rock of crack, we're talking about people's health. This is a basic human rights issue
who grants these so-called "human rights"?

Wilhelm-Scream said:
who grants these so-called "human rights"?

Geneva convention for example and the right to live is the most basic human right.

Wilhelm-Scream said:

And that's something to be proud of? You know that a human being has the right to live, Do you?

To not let someone die like a dog is something called "compassion" it's one of the things that makes a human a human.

Yes...America`s "baby boomer" generation which was created out of sex starved soliders is now reaching middle age.Expect the USA to strain under those who apply for retirement or aid.

ha, there is no solution as long as fatty foods are cheap and available, people will eat them...

mass culling is the way forward

Quite honetly I'm shocked how "inhuman" the things said by a few here are. Shows to me a complete lack of morality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"