An Offer You Can't Refuse: The Godfather Trilogy Appreciation and Discussion Thread.

The Chairman

Pimps' Main Prophet
Reaction score
(I apologize if a thread like this already existed.)

Having recently viewed the entire trilogy again after not watching them at all almost 10 years, I felt compelled to start this thread. Like most, I view the first two as masterpieces and the third a flawed but nonetheless interesting addition to the trilogy. The Godfather Part II, in my opinion, is the best American movie ever made. The development of the character and the interweaving of Michael's fall from grace with Vito's rise over the course of the film is astonishingly well done.

The acting talent in all three films is outstanding - Brando and Pacino are the ones who get the lion's share of praise, but Duvall, the late John Cazale, Keaton, Shire, Caan, and great supporting players like Richard Bright, Bruno Kirby, Sterling Hayden, Eli Wallach and others all added nuance to their characters that made them extremely memorable. And I won't even go into the writing or directing - fabulous.

This thread is meant to show appreciation towards an integral series in film history as well as spark discussion concerning the film's best scenes, your favorite characters, etc. Enjoy.

Aaah The Godfather trilogy. These movies dont get old for me at all. For me, the first Godfather movie is closely tied up with Gone With the Wind for the best movie ever in my book. It's perfect. Godfather II comes pretty close too, and even though the third one gets slammed a lot, i still enjoy it.

The third lacked a little cannoli, but it was a decent end for the trilogy.

I just hope no one in Hollywood gets the stupid idea of doing a remake. . . .

:cmad:

Last edited:
The Godfather imo had what is probably the best final 20 minutes of a film I've ever seen in my life. Starting with the baptism scene to the end were some of the best sequences I've seen.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O789amyaMvw[/YT]

Last edited:
John Cazale (Fredo) = Greatest Character Actor that ever lived.

The third lacked a little cannoli, but it was a decent end for the trilogy.
:cmad:

The worst you could say about the third one is that it feels empty. There's a warmth in the first two that is sorely lacking in the third. I think Michael going into business with the Vatican was actually a brilliant idea that for the most part played out pretty well on film.

The two things that hurt it IMO are the Vincent & Mary romance subplot and the lack of Duvall.

The worst you could say about the third one is that it feels empty. There's a warmth in the first two that is sorely lacking in the third. I think Michael going into business with the Vatican was actually a brilliant idea that for the most part played out pretty well on film.

The two things that hurt it IMO are the Vincent & Mary romance subplot and the lack of Duvall.

QFT. The subplot was awful and they should've paid Duvall his money.

I read somewhere that the only reason Coppola did the Godfather part III was because he needed the money after several box office failures as he felt the first two told the story.

John Cazale (Fredo) = Greatest Character Actor that ever lived.

What Cazale did will never be matched. No actor will ever go 5 for 5 in oscar nominated films for best picture (6-6 if you count archived footage from Godfather part III). It's a shame his death cut his career short.

I feel like I am the only person in the world who feels that the first film is much better than the second. Maybe it's the absence of Brando and Caan that makes me appreciate it much less than the first one.

I feel like I am the only person in the world who feels that the first film is much better than the second. Maybe it's the absence of Brando and Caan that makes me appreciate it much less than the first one.

You're not the only one. I like it better than first not because of Brando (even though he was amazing and so was Robert De Niro in part II), but because I love the story of Michael Corleone's simultaneous rise and fall into family business. The rise of the Corleone family as a critical power again after his father's attempted assassination hurt the family, but the fall of man who swore he would never get involved in the business.

I feel like I am the only person in the world who feels that the first film is much better than the second.

I'm the same way . I prefered the story in the first Godfather as well. I just bought the blu ray coincidentally , going to watch it again sometime this week.

This thread makes me wanna get the dang things on blu ray....

Part 2 is my fav! Certainly one of the best movies of all time, the ending is so dramatic no matter how many times you watch it

Well, I agree with all of that. The worst thing I'd say is that it feels fairly empty, because Duvall's gone and the Vincent & Mary "romance" doesn't work - but that's a pretty bad thing. Part III isn't a bad film, but I regard as an overlong and in the end unnecessary epilogue.

There's a really good documentary on John Cazale, on HBO right now.
I believe it's called "It was you."
Among others, Coppola talk about the casting of Fredo. And Pacino evokes his special acting relationship with the late, great John Cazale. Good stuff.

Well, I agree with all of that. The worst thing I'd say is that it feels fairly empty, because Duvall's gone and the Vincent & Mary "romance" doesn't work - but that's a pretty bad thing. Part III isn't a bad film, but I regard as an overlong and in the end unnecessary epilogue.

I agree. Duvall's absence was sorely felt, and the first-cousin's romance did not draw any sort of sympathy or create a relatable dilemma for the audience.

Plus Sofia Coppola is a horrible actress. She almost single-handedly destroyed this film.

It's just a merely good movie. Taken in light of the first two it's a travesty.

Totally agree on that.

I agree with the Mary/Vincent romance. It just felt empty. I dont think this romance should have been in there at all. As far as Duvall, as great as he was he just wasnt essential to the third one if u ask me. This one was Michael's story. Would have been nice if they had explored his dilemmas a bit deeper.

But i enjoy the third film despite this. "Just when i thought i was out, they pull me back in!" :awesome:

Dang, now i feel like watching one of these movies!

Loved the first and second, despite a few problems. Still haven't seen the third. I've caught a few minutes of it on TV, and Sofia Coppola's performance, ugh....

Whenever the first two are playing, i always stop what I'm doing to watch a few minutes.

i love the title for this thread :D.... and the movies :)

Has anyone here seen the saga re-edited chronologically? How was it? Would you recommend it?

I'd never get tired watching these films, especially the first two, really are masterpieces, the third one is although not up to The Godfather standard is still a good movie.

I loved the first two films. Picking which is my favorite is like asking do I prefer chocolate or vanilla ice cream.
The third had a terrific idea with Michael trying to become legitimate and work with the Vatican and the power struggle within the families. I think that casting Andy Garcia was great, at the time I saw it I automatically saw a bit great character. Andy did a great job, he had the attitude, suave, and temper of Sunny but was smart like Michael.

The think that killed the third for me was the lack of Duvall and most of all the cousin lovin'

Overall the third wasn't terrible but it was a letdown.

I loved the first two films. Picking which is my favorite is like asking do I prefer chocolate or vanilla ice cream.
The third had a terrific idea with Michael trying to become legitimate and work with the Vatican and the power struggle within the families. I think that casting Andy Garcia was great, at the time I saw it I automatically saw a bit great character. Andy did a great job, he had the attitude, suave, and temper of Sunny but was smart like Michael.

The think that killed the third for me was the lack of Duvall and most of all the cousin lovin'

Bingo. For me personally, the cousin lovin` was annoying. I think it was mostly due to Sofia`s bad acting though, maybe with someone else in that role it wouldnt have been so bad.

But i agree with u: the third isnt terrible but it was a letdown.

i loved the first two films. Picking which is my favorite is like asking do i prefer chocolate or vanilla ice cream.
The third had a terrific idea with michael trying to become legitimate and work with the vatican and the power struggle within the families. I think that casting andy garcia was great, at the time i saw it i automatically saw a bit great character. Andy did a great job, he had the attitude, suave, and temper of sunny but was smart like michael.

The think that killed the third for me was the lack of duvall and most of all the cousin lovin'

overall the third wasn't terrible but it was a letdown.

:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"