The Godfather Trilogy Official Appreciation and Discussion thread!

Lord

All Mighty
Reaction score
Finally Finished the entire Trilogy

166949.gif

Would like to know what people thought about it, i would consider Part II to be my favorite, while the first one had a tighter pacing and was more memorable, the second was more personal and a natural progression from the previous movie.

Part III was a good film, but without a doubt the weakest of the three, it got more disapointed when i discovered their previous plans for that film, a shame they didn't give Duvall the money, as it is, Tom Hagen's disappearance was noted.

Disapointed or not with the 3rd film, i think people need to stop complaining that it was just made for money, and the story was already complete according to the people behind the story, because Part II was exactly the same deal, they all thought that the story of the first film was complete and at first refused making another, until Coppola decided to incorporate an idea he had about the story of a father and son running in paralel into the Sequel.

The original film was also done for money in Coppola's part, he was broke at the time, if i remember correctly, and did the film following George Lucas's advice.

Since we're talking about the saga, can anyone shed some lights on the more recent Sequel Novels?

24163721137.jpeg
The-Godfathers-Revenge-275688.jpg

Were they good follow-ups to the main Trilogy's story or just cash-ins with a much inferior talent behind them?

There was another novel too, but it was based on an actual script that Mario Puzo had written:

The_Family_Corleone_cover.jpeg

From what i see, the bits in there were originaly going to be part of the proposed Part IV, which would follow Vicent Corleone and end with the eminent death of the Corleone Family, and alternate with the "Happy years" of 1926-1939.

In 2012 Paramount was able to secure the rights of the novel in a deal which allows them now to make another film if they want to...

Godfather-logo_GQ_17Mar11.jpg

Doubtful at the moment of course, as Coppola's films haven't been very good as of lately, another film would probably not reach the heights of Parts I and II, so it's probably for the better that the Saga remains a Trilogy.

So what's the best film in the Trilogy? Give yous opinions of the franchise as a whole.

In all honesty, i'm torn when it comes to picking my favorite Godfather movie. For me, I and II are as close to perfection a movie can get. They're a-m-a-z-i-n-g, and i dont grow tired of watching them. Solid performances all around, compelling stories. I cant help but feel for them, even thought they're meant to be organized crime lol.

While III isnt as good as the other two, it's nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be. For me, you take out Sofía, and the movie holds up better lol. With a better actress i think the complaints would be less. She was just horrible and cringeworthy at times, which is a shame.

The music is also fantastic. So iconic by now.

In a nutshell, this saga is among my favorites ever :woot:

I was actualy expecting worse acting of Sofia, i mean, she was bad, but it didn't take me out of the movie, the characters that needed it had great actors, ultimately i feel like she was the "virgin figure", what was important was what she represented, not her portrayal.

I enjoyed Godfather III as i was watching it, but it's the oposite of Godfather II for me, the more i think about that film, the more i love it, while with the 3rd film, the more i think about it, the more disappointed i start to get with the movie.

As a whole it's still a realy strong Trilogy, Part III is still an above average film, while Parts I and II are almost flawless.

I loved 1 and 2 when I watched them 10 years ago.

I should probably revisit them as I've forgotten many details by now, mostly I have not because there seems to be different versions of the blu ray and DVD running and I get confused about what to buy.

What the second movie did of showing the evolution of father and son in parallel was brilliant.

Some years after they were made I believe that I and II were shown on television as The Godfather Saga. It was extremely well done and shown over several nights as a miniseries.

I would like to see a continuation in Part IV with Andy Garcia now as an older Don. I cannot understand why Coppola has only made really inferior films since he did Dracula? How did the brilliance that he had become 'burned out'?

I haven't seen the third one... but I remember liking the first two when I saw them as a kid.

Excellent timing for this thread! I just finished re-watching the trilogy last week, and I have the original novel sitting right next to me, which arrived on Saturday (though it will be sometime before I get around to reading it, I have a big backlog built up. Really looking forward to it).

As far as the movies... I think the first is my favourite, for the stronger family dynamic (such as it is) and Brando/Caan, who I missed in the second one. But that second one... so, so great. Bah. My favourite will probably flip-flop in all honesty, but for now I'll say the first.

The third... I happen to think it's reputation is deserved. There's a slew of great moments in there, but on the whole... Nah.

Favorite- Part II

I will watch one and two for the rest of my life.

"Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you, but don't ever take sides with anyone against the family again, ever."

"What'd you think this is the army where you shoot them a mile away? You gotta get up close like this BADA BING you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit."

"I can handle things, I'm smart! Not like everybody says, like dumb. I'm smart and I want respect!"

"I don't want his mother to see him like this. . . Look how they massacred my boy."

I think the original is a clear cut case of not all books being better than the movie.

The story ends at Part II, **** 3.

I love the slow burn of part one, how Michael slowly becomes a cold, tactical gangster boss.

and the way all the archetypes fulfill their destiny plays out perfectly.

I would like to see a continuation in Part IV with Andy Garcia now as an older Don. I cannot understand why Coppola has only made really inferior films since he did Dracula? How did the brilliance that he had become 'burned out'?

But the question is, if Coppola did Part IV would it be any good? Mario Puzo's dead and while he gave a treatment of what that film should be like, and probably even a complete script, but without his involvement, it's possible he wasn't even satisfied with the first draft. Coppola hasn't made a great movie in quite a while, if the 16 years hiatus helped Part III not have the same touch as the first two, then imagine what would happen 20-30 years between releases, expecialy when it's following what is generaly considered one of the weakest sequels around.

As amazing as the ideas for Part IV sounded, i can understand letting Part III be the end, it was Michael's story after all, even if it also featured his father's, the Trilogy showed Michael's beginning middle and end in the family business. With the 4th film you would be expanding it into the Saga of the entire Corleone Family overall, which also sound like an interesting idea, but when you get down to it, Part IV would probably feel like a retreat to the second film, instead of evolving into its oun thing, one of the reasons the first 2 were so good.

Anyone read the novel sequels?Many of the more vocative fans of the Saga seem to dislike it, but much of this seems to come down to the idea that they're just easy sells meant to sell instead of stories worth telling.

I cannot understand why Coppola has only made really inferior films since he did Dracula? How did the brilliance that he had become 'burned out'?

It's normal and standard for people to produce their best work when young in every field of human creativity. You see this with a lot of other directors, artists, scientists, et cetera.

As people become more successful they might lose their drive due to being successful and comfortable rather than poor and ambitious and without recognition; they might lose their focus if their success means additional responsibilities, for example being asked to be a producer on other people's movies, or simply raising kids. Once they are away for a long time it becomes difficult to reignite the passion and drive one once had.

Further, as people get older their brain power drops, and their methodologies become dated.

Last edited:
Part II
Part I
Part III

I love the first two films and I think had the third film been say 30% as good as the first two then this trilogy would've been talked about more as being one of the best ever.

The first two are classics and i find it hard to choose which one is my favourite. So many fantastic moments and every performance is spot on.

Part III is obviously a huge step down from the first two. But in a way I think it's underrated. It's a good gangster movie, better than most. I really liked Andy Garcia's arc and the ending is great. It just seems terrible in comparison to the first two masterpieces. And as an ending to a trilogy it leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Best film trilogy ever. Choosing between the first two is like choosing between your children.

I keep thinking that Godfather II would had a happier ending if he he stayed with his first wife.

I honestly couldn't get into Part II. It just didn't hook me from the beginning like Part I.

I meant if she survived.

I like to think about how the family would have fared under the command of Santino or Tom instead of Michael. I think Tom would have been the better replacement instead of Michael because he followed Vito's example better than his brothers.

I have a confession to make. I have not seen any of the Godfather films, I need to get on it asap.

I like to think about how the family would have fared under the command of Santino or Tom instead of Michael. I think Tom would have been the better replacement instead of Michael because he followed Vito's example better than his brothers.

Tom was easily the most sensible of the four. Sonny was way too much of a hothead. The biggest obstacle facing Tom was that he wasn't Italian.

I love the trilogy, 2 is the best yes. I think part 3 gets too much flack though. It has some great moments I think. And I mean come on the
ending with Michael's daughter being shot.
that scene is just so emotional and well acted by Pacino. The
silent scream
that he does. The feels.:csad:

If Tom Hagen had been in the third film, I wonder how much better it could have been.

If Tom Hagen had been in the third film, I wonder how much better it could have been.

It wouldn't have brought it anywhere near the first two, but I still definitely missed him.

It wouldn't have brought it anywhere near the first two, but I still definitely missed him.

It may have. The original concept was what the first two were building up to, Michael vs Hagen for control. Throughout the first two films, the most consistent theme with Tom Hagen is despite not being a Corleone or Italian, he is the truest son that Don Corleone had, the only one who honored him, who learned from him, who carried on his legacy. A power struggle between Michael and Hagen, Don Corleone's son vs his legacy would've been fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"