• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the scene where Peter comes home and is all beat up and then Peter and Aunt May go at each other. On the one hand I thought it made Peter a little unlikeable but on the other I was greateful for the domestic drama.
I can't decide if I want to see more domestic drama in the sequel (Aunt May and Peter at odds) or less (Peter is more supportive of his Aunt).

I always interpreted the scene as Peter being in a bit of a funky mood because of the fight he had with his uncle. In the Raimi film he had the thrill and exhilaration of being in the wrestling match and winning (he beat Macho Man!), with the crowd chanting his name to put him in a different state of mind entirely. In Webb's film, the robbery scene happens immediately after Peter has the fight with his uncle. What the else would he be doing out by himself that late buying chocolate milk if not sulking/cooling off?

Peter is still a fundamentally good person in both films IMO. That doesn't mean he can't be flawed.

Anyways, I do think the Raimi version of Uncle Ben's death was pretty much perfect. This is just an instance of reboot-itis. It's hard to improve upon perfection, but at least they made an attempt to present it differently. Even though you knew Uncle Ben was going to die, somehow I was still wanting it not to happen in ASM.

For me, ASM worked best with the human interactions which is way I am worried with all the villian Sony are flinging at the sequel. ASM was almost a drama that 'happened' to have a giant lizard rather than a superhero movie that 'happens' to have drama. Ho-hum, we'll see if my fears are completely unfounded.

For me, ASM worked best with the human interactions which is way I am worried with all the villian Sony are flinging at the sequel. ASM was almost a drama that 'happened' to have a giant lizard rather than a superhero movie that 'happens' to have drama. Ho-hum, we'll see if my fears are completely unfounded.

The only confirmed villain is Electro, we aren't even sure if Rhino is even in the movie since he wasn't ever officially confirmed. For all we know Giamatti could be playing someone else.

@spider-neil Well, if you look at the (imo) best incarnation of Spider-Man, TSSM, there it's like a high school drama comedy that happens to have super villains

I think ASM2 will still be a character drama with supervillains. I think ASM was a big learning curve for Webb and he might hit his stride now with ASM2.

Atleast Webb has got the origin story out the way now.

I just hoped that he wouldn't have to practice with TASM

We all were waiting for the perfect Spider-Man film, even the people that didn't think it would be. As a practice film it was enjoyable, I hope the next one redeems what TASM 1 lacked

For a second movie and one of such a large scale I think Webb did a good job. It can't be easy going from directing music videos and a romantic comedy drama like 500 Days Of Summer to rebooting a major well loved franchise not too long after the previous version ended with a $230 million dollar budget.

I think ASM2 will still be a character drama with supervillains. I think ASM was a big learning curve for Webb and he might hit his stride now with ASM2.

Atleast Webb has got the origin story out the way now.

I thought there was more than one way not to make another origin story seem repetitive and forced. Instead of focusing on the franchise-building, they could have had fun with elements absent in Raimi's film, replaced the wrestling stuff with a TV freak show gig, stuff like that, maybe even borrowed some things from the Cameron scriptment. But...

I just hoped that he wouldn't have to practice with TASM

We all were waiting for the perfect Spider-Man film, even the people that didn't think it would be. As a practice film it was enjoyable, I hope the next one redeems what TASM 1 lacked

... I agree, and I'm betting it will. Marc Webb was a guest on some episodes of the Slashfilmcast back in the day, and those very same guys REALLY went at it against TASM in their review, they HATED it. I get the feeling that Webb is more than aware of the shortcomings, and he'll be wanting to swing for the fences with the next one.

I get the idea of what the cashier said, sure I do...but if anyone thinks Peter is written in a "real way", then they're just smoking some good stuff...no one would decide to not help someone out just because a cashier made a joke about someone's parents that are dead, or at least I wouldn't be someone that wouldn't help someone out.

Yeah well everyone isn't you. I would have probably acted the same way. Act like an A-hole to me I act like one back. I would be in the wrong and would need to be taught a lesson.

Hey they should make a movie about THAT.

Oh wait...

Nowadays when someone is getting beat up people just stand around and watch it happen. Keep in mind the person being beat up has no beef with you, did not insult your dead mother or deprive you of milk because of 2 lousy cents. People have been told to go f**k themselves over less important stuff.

You think people are inherently good but you're wrong because they're not.

Last edited:
@spider-neil Well, if you look at the (imo) best incarnation of Spider-Man, TSSM, there it's like a high school drama comedy that happens to have super villains

SSM is my favorite ever incarnation of Spider-Man and the reason for that is the supporting cast was superb. The action was excellent but the action isn't what made SSM special.

ASM had lovely personal touches that (imho) made it stand out from Avengers and TDKR, like for instance when Peter says 'you're a good dad' to Ben and Ben face lights up or when Peter comes home with his head kicked in but still has time for the eggs May wanted. I really hope they don't lose the personal touch with villians glore. Spider-Man was always about the supporting cast rather than the villians (although a memorable villian wouldn't go amiss).

ASM had lovely personal touches that (imho) made it stand out from Avengers and TDKR, like for instance when Peter says 'you're a good dad' to Ben and Ben face lights up or when Peter comes home with his head kicked in but still has time for the eggs May wanted. I really hope they don't lose the personal touch with villians glore. Spider-Man was always about the supporting cast rather than the villians (although a memorable villian wouldn't go amiss).

Completely agreed. While I loved the other CBMs this year, that's why I keep going back to rewatch ASM more than the others. That's what I think made ASM so good. The small, intimate, personal feel, not scope or grandeur or 'wow' factor. And while I hope we start to see some of those things in the sequel, definitely agree I hope they don't lose that personal touch in trying to be 'bigger and better'

I totally agree with this! That's exactly why I love this film so much and can watch it again and again!

TASM has heart and it makes it stand out for me as well.

For a second movie and one of such a large scale I think Webb did a good job. It can't be easy going from directing music videos and a romantic comedy drama like 500 Days Of Summer to rebooting a major well loved franchise not too long after the previous version ended with a $230 million dollar budget.

Even without all those factors, I think he did a fantastic job, but yeah, it's even more impressive when you consider all of this. 500 Days Of Summer is such a little jewel, I knew he'd make a great Spider-Man movie.

Yeah well everyone isn't you. I would have probably acted the same way. Act like an A-hole to me I act like one back. I would be in the wrong and would need to be taught a lesson.

Hey they should make a movie about THAT.

Oh wait...

Nowadays when someone is getting beat up people just stand around and watch it happen. Keep in mind the person being beat up has no beef with you, did not insult your dead mother or deprive you of milk because of 2 lousy cents. People have been told to go f**k themselves over less important stuff.

You think people are inherently good but you're wrong because they're not.

Well, of course I know people aren't inherently good. That's why humans suck most of the time.

Okay, I apologize in advance, this is really petty and nitpicky of me...but is anyone else hoping they ease up on Parker's poofy hairdo in ASM 2? I think for the practical reasons alone of him fitting his head into that mask comfortably, it'd make sense for him to get a freakin' haircut, lol.

I think that's just Andrew Garfield's thing. I don't think it really is a Peter Parker thing, it's just how Garfield wanted it.

Okay, I apologize in advance, this is really petty and nitpicky of me...but is anyone else hoping they ease up on Parker's poofy hairdo in ASM 2? I think for the practical reasons alone of him fitting his head into that mask comfortably, it'd make sense for him to get a freakin' haircut, lol.
Probably helps to make Garfield look younger.

Haha, while I didn't have a problem with it, I can totally see where you're coming from. There were a few instances when it was pretty big. I think for the purposes of trying to make Garfield look younger the longer shaggier hair helps. For later installments (idk about ASM2 since he's still in HS for at least part of it) I think shorter, more clean-cut hair would be better, if not for anything than to show him as older and more mature

Edit: ^what Boom said

i want less angst in the sequel, even andrew garfield wants less angst lol. he said a few months ago that he hopes peter gets to be happier in the sequel.

but yeah; dat angst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"