Anna Borden and Ryan Fleck are the Directors

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Dyson, Oct 29, 2014.

1. MahvelBaby!

MahvelBaby! Registered

I quite like this movie I'm good with them coming back to see what they can do without the constraints of an origin story.

2. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

If they DO ending up pulling a "Phase 1 director" move and bow out, I vote Jennifer Kent or Lisa Joy for the sequel.

MahvelBaby! likes this.
  3. inomilan

inomilan Registered

I'm also on the side of wanting new directors. Although enjoyable, the movie's not on par with the rest of the phase 3 movies.

Smurphftw likes this.
  4. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Registered

A single female director along the caliber of those you mention would be GREAT for the sequel.

5. OnTheAir

OnTheAir Wakandan Ambassador

6. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

Reminiscence will be Lisa’s ultimate test but yes she’s someone to look out for. Her directorial work in WW was darn great.

flickchick85 likes this.
  7. Hannibal75

Hannibal75 Registered

I quite liked Captain Marvel and how they approached the characters and story. But if they return they will have to consider leaving the action scenes to an experienced second unit director. Their set-pieces (especially the ones that took place on spaceships) had a lot of problems with lighting, editing, and CGI/compositing.

8. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

The thing is the second unit director for CM, Jeff Habberstad, had worked in the same capacity on both Ant-Man movies, Doctor Strange, and IM3 and been a stunt coordinator on a few MCU and X-Men films along with doing American Sniper and Alias. The cinematographer, Ben Davis, had previously done Age of Ultron, Doctor Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

9. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Kinda felt they were both pretty weak here, wouldn't mind a switch-up for a sequel. Shame too, because they're talented people. Just kinda seemed like they didn't have much of a handle on the genre stuff beyond like "serviceable but been-there-done-that-a-million-times-before".

And that third act is just such a slog to get through, when all the action starts up. Like in a substance sense, I just felt nothing. Whizz-bang lightshow and not much else.

10. Hannibal75

Hannibal75 Registered

I don't doubt they had some experienced crew. But it's obvious that they decided to handle the action scenes themselves, I doubt the people you mentioned would have made all these rookie mistakes.

11. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Look up quotes from the director that turned down Black Widow.