Another School Shooting, Taft Cali.

Hobgoblin

Veritas veritatum
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/10/taft-high-school-shooting_n_2449261.html

A shooting has been reported at Taft Union High School in Taft, California, KERO reports.

The shooting suspect is in custody, according to ABC 7.

The suspect is believed to be a student, Kern County sheriff's spokesman Ray Pruitt told the Associated Press, and police believe the weapon used was a shotgun.

Two people have been reported shot, according to the station. The first victim suffered minor injuries and refused treatment, according to KGET. The second, a student, was airlifted to Kern Medical Center. Ryan Dunbier, senior deputy with the Kern County Sheriff's Department, told the New York Daily News that the airlifted victim had been shot in the chest and was critically wounded.

The incident occurred at about 9 a.m., according to KABC, and took place in the science building, according to the TaftMidwayDriller.com, a local paper's website.

At around 9:20, the suspect was taken into custody and students were evacuated to the football field. Parents were notified and asked to pick up their children.

Taft is a community of about 7,000 located 30 miles southwest of Bakersfield, in San Joaquin Valley.

An employee of the Taft Police Department told The Huffington Post the department would not release any information on the shooting. They also said a press conference would take place later today at the scene of the crime.

This is a developing story, check back for further updates.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article stated that 2 people were reported dead. Two people were reported injured.

And again...

Do guns need banning now?...would the protesters like this to happen to their kids at their schools? God forbid it.

Do guns need banning now?...would the protesters like this to happen to their kids at their schools? God forbid it.

Guns banned? No, guns aren't the problem, they're never the problem. It's video games, movies, the mental health industry, Canada...

We need a post on the Blame Canada song from South Park!

It's a psychological issue. And the more and more we keep pointing fingers at the weapons, we're wasting valuable time.

And honestly, this feels like a lot of media sensationalizing at this point. Turn on the news channel and it's always about some maniac gunning down civilians in a public setting. But lately it's been in overdrive.

I'm not saying there's not a problem because there clearly is and it needs to be addressed, but still.

I honestly wish I knew the problem and how to solve it, but I don't.

I just want to know, how and why the hell are these ***** getting their hands on guns?

I'll be lenient. If it wasn't a gun, it could have been a knife.

Guns aren't the problem. Somebody wants to kill - which in itself is ****ed up - they're going to use the best resource available.

But even if they were banned, someone could just as easily take a blade or a chainsaw. Ban them too?

So yeah, it's the psycho, not the weapon.

Guns banned? No, guns aren't the problem, they're never the problem. It's video games, movies, the mental health industry, Canada...

United States - guns are legal and easily available
Murder rate of 4.8/100,000.
United Kingdom - guns are illegal and harder to get
Murder rate of 1.2/100,000.

I wonder if there's any kind of connection there?

It's a psychological issue. And the more and more we keep pointing fingers at the weapons, we're wasting valuable time.

Yes, it is a psychological issue. We live in a country that has become comfortable with violence. It's everywhere. And while it's true that those who really want to commit an act of violence, will find a way to do it, having access to guns does make it easier for them.

Face it, shooting someone/something enables a certain detachment from the actual act. Point and shoot, the other person dies. You don't even have to be within a hundred yards. Killing someone/something with a different weapon, like a knife, that requires you to be right there. Up close and personal. Not everyone has the stomach for that. I'd wager that's why, without access to the guns, a lot of people wouldn't be so quick to kill someone.

United States - guns are legal and easily available
Murder rate of 4.8/100,000.
United Kingdom - guns are illegal and harder to get
Murder rate of 1.2/100,000.

I wonder if there's any kind of connection there?
Yeah. The connection is we're in a country filled with people who don't want to take responsibility for raising their children. Our youth is beyond ****ed up right now.

If you're implying that the reason United Kingdom has a lower murder rate is because guns are illegal(which by the way can easily be obtained if someone wanted to go on a mass murder, and I assume they'd take the extra time if they were crazy enough to even go through with something like that), then I vehemently disagree.

I think it's because the United Kingdom has an entirely different culture. One less violent.

Yes, it is a psychological issue. We live in a country that has become comfortable with violence. It's everywhere. And while it's true that those who really want to commit an act of violence, will find a way to do it, having access to guns does make it easier for them.

Face it, shooting someone/something enables a certain detachment from the actual act. Point and shoot, the other person dies. You don't even have to be within a hundred yards. Killing someone/something with a different weapon, like a knife, that requires you to be right there. Up close and personal. Not everyone has the stomach for that. I'd wager that's why, without access to the guns, a lot of people wouldn't be so quick to kill someone.
I can't even... :facepalm:

That worldwide logic that so many Americans like you have, that's exactly why this is going to continue for a long time. Although a slightly altered version with the "psycho killer won't murder because he can't stand the sight of blood", it's still as ridiculous for any other person touting for gun control.

Kids on the neighbourhood of America carry guns.

Kids here in the UK carry knives.

What with all the talk of legalizing marijuana to reduce crime, what would happen to crime culture if guns were banned?

I can't even... :facepalm:

That worldwide logic that so many Americans like you have, that's exactly why this is going to continue for a long time.

What? That I think guns make killing people easier? I'd say that's a given. Wasn't that why they were invented? To make killing the enemy easier and more efficient?

What? That I think guns make killing people easier? I'd say that's a given. Wasn't that why they were invented? To make killing the enemy easier and more efficient?
No, it's absolutely asinine that you implied that somehow a mentally disturbed person is going to avoid an attack on someone because they can't access a gun easily. That's like, world tier trolling or something else that I'd get my post deleted for saying, anyway.

"Hey, take away guns because surely a criminal/and or psycho murderer won't turn to knives. It would be too traumatic for them to stab someone, but shooting bullets into them has no effect. Shooting someone in real life is no different than in Call of Duty."

I mean, what in the actual ****? And for the record, I've remember reading about some dude using a sword to attack young school students, just by an engine search I saw a story about some dude using a meat cleaver. Which is besides the point. Which is guns aren't hard to obtain. Legal or not.

No, it's absolutely asinine that you implied that somehow a mentally disturbed person is going to avoid an attack on someone because they can't access a gun easily. That's like, world tier trolling or something else that I'd get my post deleted for saying, anyway.

"Hey, take away guns because surely a criminal/and or psycho murderer won't turn to knives. It would be too traumatic for them to stab someone, but shooting bullets into them has no effect. Shooting someone in real life is no different than in Call of Duty."

I mean, what in the actual ****? And for the record, I've remember reading about some dude using a sword to attack young school students, just by an engine search I saw a story about some dude using a meat cleaver. Which is besides the point. Which is guns aren't hard to obtain. Legal or not.

How many kids in Sandy Hook die if he has a Meat Cleaver and not a semi-automatic Assault Rifle? More, Less or the Same?

Just so we're clear, I'm not for banning guns... well maybe certain types of guns and changing how guns are sold. And, just because in the end, somebody that wants a gun can get a gun doesn't mean we shouldn't make it harder for them.

Also, I enjoy guns and I hunt. There is zero need for any public citizen to have a assault rifle or a clip that hold more than 5-6 bullets. Hell when I hunt I only put in 2-3 bullets, anymore than you are doing something wrong.

How many kids in Sandy Hook die if he has a Meat Cleaver and not a semi-automatic Assault Rifle? More, Less or the Same?
Depends. How many exits are blocked? Is his alternative really going to be a meat cleaver? Or will it be a samurai sword? Considering that the Sandy incident was young kids, with their mindsets it's unlikely that they would take a physical approach and resort to running. I probably would have if I were in a crowded room. One on one, I was raised to where I most likely would have fought back... Actually I know I would thank goodness. But that's irrelevant, really.

But is that really what it comes down to? We're trying to possibly and unlikely save a few extra lives? Also I didn't major in psychology so I'm not trying to act like I'm a genius in that field, but even I know that the reason someone would attack a school with a sword and/or meat clover isn't because they couldn't obtain a gun. It's because they enjoy the idea of using a melee weapon more.

Anyway, we shouldn't be debating if we can save a few extra lives. We should be debating how to stop the incident altogether. Because I doubt little Cindy's parents would be fine with her child dying as long as the attacker used a meat clover/knife. You think that makes any difference to them if their daughter is in the minority?

No. Of course not. Let's try to take responsibility for the future. And let's stop with the nasty stigma on mental issues.

Depends. How many exits are blocked? Is his alternative really going to be a meat cleaver? Or will it be a samurai sword? Considering that the Sandy incident was young kids, with their mindsets it's unlikely that they would take a physical approach and resort to running. I probably would have if I were in a crowded room. One on one, I was raised to where I most likely would have fought back... Actually I know I would thank goodness. But that's irrelevant, really.

But is that really what it comes down to? We're trying to possibly and unlikely save a few extra lives? Also I didn't major in psychology so I'm not trying to act like I'm a genius in that field, but even I know that the reason someone would attack a school with a sword and/or meat clover isn't because they couldn't obtain a gun. It's because they enjoy the idea of using a melee weapon more.

Anyway, we shouldn't be debating if we can save a few extra lives. We should be debating how to stop the incident altogether. Because I doubt little Cindy's parents would be fine with her child dying as long as the attacker used a meat clover/knife. You think that makes any difference to them if their daughter is in the minority?

No. Of course not. Let's try to take responsibility for the future. And let's stop with the nasty stigma on mental issues.

Right around the time of the Sandy Hook shooting (might have been the same day) someone in China attacked a school with some form of knife. Somewhere in the vicinity of 20 kids were injured. If that person had a gun, it probably would've been 20 kids killed. Obviously those kids were traumitized, but they're still alive.

Ok first things first any more school shootings should carry death penalty or life in prison without parole in solitary. Or kill on sight I really dont care which. This being to deter any copy cats. Yeah it wont stop them all but it wouldnt hurt putting out that threat nationwide. You threaten our youth you go under the prison. After that we need step up mental evaluation on those purchasing guns. We need to be more considerate of the types of guns we sale and the magazine capacity. It aint perfect but its a start. This coming from a legal gun owner.

As for all these shootings. There are shootings all over the place every day and guns are found at schools more than you might think. The media is on a kick right now reporting this stuff because it is the "hot" topic of the moment. Remember when the dude in Florida chewed that guys face off? For the next month you could get online or turn on the tv and hear about bath salt attacks and cannibalism. Gun violence is a very hot topic at the moment and with the laws being possibly changed expect to hear more of this stuff on your news.

Right around the time of the Sandy Hook shooting (might have been the same day) someone in China attacked a school with some form of knife. Somewhere in the vicinity of 20 kids were injured. If that person had a gun, it probably would've been 20 kids killed. Obviously those kids were traumitized, but they're still alive.
Look at their murder rate compared to ours.

Leaving work, so no time for a proper reply. Will do so later, but couple things... You think with the perfect health care system where no mentally damaged people fall through the cracks and everybody is on their meds that will solve all the problems with these shootings? I never said it was just a gun issue, it's not a issue with any one thing. It's combination of issues. Can you honestly tell me there is a good reason for Assault Rifles in the Public sector and high capacity clips?

Btw the guy at Sandy Hook shoot his way into the building, doubt that happens with a meat cleaver, samurai sword, pocket knife, blow darts, sling shot or any other instrument other than the one he used.

Leaving work, so no time for a proper reply. Will do so later, but couple things... You think with the perfect health care system where no mentally damaged people fall through the cracks and everybody is on their meds that will solve all the problems with these shootings? I never said it was just a gun issue, it's not a issue with any one thing. It's combination of issues. Can you honestly tell me there is a good reason for Assault Rifles in the Public sector and high capacity clips?
I'm against banning any and all guns. But while I do agree in most cases the average person won't think of an assault rifle as a weapon they want as a form of protection, who am I to say they shouldn't have access to one? If someone breaks into my home, I'd probably feel more comfortable holding an assault rifle over a pistol.
Btw the guy at Sandy Hook shoot his way into the building, doubt that happens with a meat cleaver, samurai sword, pocket knife, blow darts, sling shot or any other instrument other than the one he used.
Why are you grouping a sling shot in with a samurai sword or a meat cleaver? It makes your argument sound a lot better, but we both know that's silly and very misleading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"