Ant-man's reviews thread

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by yllum, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Marvel Registered

It played out perfectly. The perfect intimate film to separate AoU from Civil War. We all needed this breather type film and deeper character development from what will be supporting characters in both Civil War and Infinity War. AoU delivered a lot of "whips and chains" and it was time for some tender love before Civil War cranks it up again.

2. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Exactly.

3. MrMaooz Registered

I'll just keep it short and sweet. Really enjoyed this film. It was entertaining and Marvel just added another solid film to their line-up. I loved the performances of Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, and Michael Pena. Pena had great comedic relief in the film. Corey Stoll as Darren Cross was fine. Not anything super great. The film is smaller in scale, but there is lots to enjoy. Looking forward to seeing more Paul Rudd.

I'd give it a 7.5 or an 8.

4. haephestus Registered

8/10 for me. Good, but not great.

It was a welcome ... relief after Age of Ultron to go back to a "smaller" Marvel film with fewer characters and a plot which wasn't solely centred on the end of the world (although I guess it had that potential given the technology and the buyers).

I wouldn't have minded a bit more characterisation for Darren and Hope. They were both pretty one dimensional and it almost seemed like maybe some flashbacks between each of them and Hank had been cut from the final film. I also think that their "present day" characterisations needed a little more work.

We're told that repeated exposure to the Yellow Jacket particles drove Darren insane, but based on the sequence of events in the film, he only perfected the technology late in the timeline.

And Hope's role, other than general "assistant" to Darren, was a little unclear. Was Hope a scientist in her own right? Darren's PA? Vice-President of the company? Other?

I also wasn't sure that they really sold the "romance" between Hope and Scott, but it wasn't a major element and I guess it will be developed in future films.

I really would have liked to have seen more flashbacks of the original Ant-Man and Wasp.

5. The_Manhunter Zack Snyder & MCU Fan

Overall, I give this a 9/10. It was great. Not as good as Age of Ultron (which almost literally had me crying tears of joy in the theater) but it was a solid film, right on par with Marvel's other best origin films (for me, those are Iron Man, Thor, and now Ant-Man).

6. nightwing06 Registered

I really didnt think Ant-Man would work as a stand alone movie. The Hank Pym/Ant-Man had already been excluded from the Ultron story in Avengers: Age
    of Ultron,of which he was a major part of in the comics,but i was pleasantly surprised by Ant-Man .Praise to Paul Rudd and his ability to change
    gears from comedic to serious,and getting me invested in his character Scott Lang.Michael Douglas is better than ever as his mentor Hank Pym.
    Evangeline Lily's presence and beauty are always welcome.Michael Peña was hilarious,and Corey Stoll adds just the right amount of uncaring menace
    as the film's villain.
    Praise to the writers and Director Peyton Reed for doing their homework on the character with nice little comic book touches throughout the film
    Also high praise for connecting Ant-Man to the MCU past and present.The 3D was flawless and the action sequences were fun.
    There are a few predictable moments and there are a couple of characters that i found to be obnoxious but what a nice surprise and fun chapter in
    MCU

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

7. LucDisfilm19 Registered

Review for Marvel's Ant-Man:

HOLY S--T! HOLY F--K! At 9:55 last night in Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn, NY, I saw "Marvel's Ant-Man". And, WOW, was it an amazing end to Phase Two of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It really delivered on so many things even if Edgar Wright's departure put the film in jeopardy. Paul Rudd's portrayal of current Ant-Man, Scott Lang was done perfectly and on point. Former Ant-Man, Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) was someone who I found to be a really compelling and interesting character especially with his complex past that has ties to the MCU and how he feels about the Avengers. Hope Van Dyne (Evangeline Lily) kicked a-- and proved she was the human form of female fans really not wanting female superheroes in the MCU to be sidelined, which will be granted in 3 years when another movie comes out. Darren Cross/Yellowjacket (Corey Stoll) really felt lie a tragic character to me even if he was once again killed off quickly like previous villains in other MCU films like Malekith, Pierce, Ronan, Ultron, and Whiplash. Luis (Micheal Péna) was really, in my opinion, the one person in the movie who was my favorite character because of how he informs Scott of missions to take, which he describes it a little Lando-like and he really gave it his all and did not let me down. Cassie Lang (Abby Ryder Fortson) really helped humanize Scott Lang as a hero, father, and someone to sympathize for. The supporting characters in my opinion were used perfectly, especially Dave (T.I.), Kurt (Dave Dasalchian), Paxton (Bobby Cannavale) and mysterious ex-SHIELD agent Mitchell Carson (Martin Donovan), who I'm sure will return to the MCU soon. Overall, this film really had great action set pieces, wonderfully choreographed fights and amazing scenes like that one scene I'm not going to reveal, but, it's when Ant-Man takes down Yellowjacket and how he does it takes him into a world so reality-altering and mind-bending that it will indeed set-up Doctor Strange when it hits theaters in November 2016. The ties to the MCU to previous and future films are used perfectly such as the prologue with young Hank Pym in 1989 at the in-construction Triskellion (from Captain America: The Winter Soldier) quarelling with Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell), Howard Stark (John Slattery), and Mitchell Carson over SHIELD's plans to steal and replicate the Pym Particles formula. The moment when Hank Pym tells Scott they shouldn't bring in the Avengers since "they dropped huge cities from the sky" is a nice way to show a hint of how the world might now feel about the Avengers after the huge ending battle in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Falcon (Anthony Mackie) really had one hell of an amazing scene when he showed up to fight Scott Lang when he visited the new Avengers facility from "Age of Ultron" to help finish something to help Hank Pym's heist go on a hitch. I won't give away much about Falcon's scene, but let's just say it was a really nice way to set-up Civil War and it was all thanks to Adam McKay and Paul Rudd himself for adding that scene in the revised script while still having most of what Edgar Wright had planned for this film kept in the film. And, at the end of the film when Luis tells Scott of someone who met with Falcon from the Avengers who wants to hire Scott to become an Avenger, there's one reference to a certain character "who crawls on walls" and someone we will see in next May's "Captain America: Civil War" before his own solo MCU film in 2017: Spider-Man! And, the two post-credits scenes really set-up a lot to Phase 3 with the first one setting up a new Future Avenger and the last one setting up Captain America: Civil War since it is actually a scene from the movie itself. Overall, I felt this film really ended Phase Two on high note. I hope this film gets #1 this weekend and surprises at the box office because it is in my opinion, now tied with "Guardians of the Galaxy" as the best Marvel movie ever. I hope Kevin Feige is reading this, because if he is, I really think he should now plan Ant-Man 2 to come out November 1st, 2019 and have it be the new end to Phase 3 of the MCU instead of "Inhumans" or "Avengers: Infinty War - Part 2" and he should also bring back Peyton Reed to not only direct the sequel, but, to write it as well. In my closing words, GO SEE IT. MARVEL IS UNSTOPPABLE.

10/10. 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ A+.

8. Mark5878 Registered

F-ant-astic fun.

7.5/10.

9. Enriquespy Registered

Solid marvel film, had it's own thing.

7.5-10

10. BigA Registered

I enjoyed it. You can see elements and ideas from both Edgar Wright and Peyton Reed and the end result was pretty good. It's amazing what Peyton was able to with how late in the game he came on..

I'm still disappointed that Edgar Wright didn't direct, but the overall final product was very good, so no more complaints.

11. warriorking Registered

8/10 for me....Really enjoyed it...Good job Marvel...

12. yllum Registered

After the second viewing

ant-man is officially my fave mcu movie along with tws..who is with me? Lol

13. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I think Ant-Man will ultimately end up more watchable than Age of Ultron. AOU has almost too much going on with too many explosions and relentless action. I think people might think they would like AOU more, but might actually find that when they give Ant-Man a chance, it is a more enjoyable experience which doesn't feel like it has the weight of expectation loaded onto it.

14. BlackFox Monster Hunter

Odd film this one for me, a film of two halves in a way, the first half was a bit slow and the film struggled to keep me engaged in all the characters, some of which were rather bland but things picked up in the second half once
    Falcon
    showed up and Ant-Man was actually on screen more and in control of his powers and the end was enjoyable. Not knowing much about the character or this films production maybe helped in some ways?

I think Rudd is going to turn out to be a decent addition to the MCU world and will fit in well with the other Avengers as he is easily the best thing about this film, if this gets a sequel (I assume it is?) then he needs to be surrounded by a slightly better film overall to really get up amongst the Caps and Guardians of this world but this was an ok start I guess for him.

The first thing he will need is a better villain as Cross was a bit throwaway and ended up being a bit of a cliched evil dude shouting evil things at the good guy without really being fleshed out and being a bit hammy in the process. We know the MCU can do bad guys now, Loki, Kingpin, but they have more misses than hits in this department. Maybe next time Ant-Man may get a better antagonist.

The comedy was patchy with some stuff landing and some not, the three "comedy" relief guys had some moments of funny stuff but I expected a bit more banter between the team members and some things felt a but forced or out of place (Titanic jokes??) but the stuff in the final third was amusing with the enlarged
    Ant
    and Thomas the tank engine. I think the visual gags worked better than the spoken ones for me.

The effects were pretty well done to be fair and showed some nice visual flair with the small world looking very good and nicely realised, opens up some interesting opportunities in the future at least.

Overall some good and some bad but the final third at least ended on a high note its just a shame it took half the film to get up there but its another solid entry in the MCU line up, somewhere in the creamy middle of Marvels work so far, better than the likes of Thor 2 but not quite Cap TFA.

I'm really looking forward to what Ant-Man can bring to the Avengers team dynamic as that might be where he shines the most, but for now he has an ok origin film I guess but deserves to be surrounded by better things in the future.

I'm glad Cap is back next though and I hope Civil War will really kick the MCU up into top gear again and set up Phase 3 with a bang.

7/10

15. Macho Mantis Registered

7.5/10.

The actors were all great, the story was nicely uncomplicated, the pace was perfect, the humour was mostly meh, and the visual effects were breathtaking.

16. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

It was a fun, enjoyable movie. I don't think it was a classic or anything, but I really liked it. And the smaller (pun intended) plot was a nice change of pace after the world/universe threatening adventures that we have had for most of Phase 2. I feared that this film would be Marvel's first big misstep, but I honestly preferred it to Age of Ultron. I would have said you were insane if you told me that six months ago.

7/10

17. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Yeah, agreed. I love the cameos. This one even had a purpose.
    It led to Ant-Man joining The Avengers.

18. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Points! :up::up::up:
    Like most of you I grew up reading comic books and loved the issues where two different characters teamed up. One of the first comics I ever read was ASM #1 where Spidey and the FF fought each other, and I vividly remember how amazing the novelty of a shared universe was to me at that age. And then I would go to the movie theaters and see them on the big screen and it was great, but I always wished that Spider-man would be able to meet up with the X-men and fight Dr. Doom.
    Now that we have a connected marvel cinematic universe that is 12 films in with even more to go, we have exactly what any comic book fanboy would dream of but here we are complaining for no reason about characters from other franchises being included. I get it in some cases, but more times than not it sounds like criticizing for the sake of criticizing.

19. Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    I saw it today and thought it was a really nice film. A great new addition to the the MCU. I thought it was good that the film wasn't so grand like Iron Man or Captain America and Thor this film had a narrative that stayed focused and didn't stray off. I liked the small easter eggs that the film had as well. The film did have a few superhero cliches but hey, its a superhero film. Overall great film highly entertaining some good jokes some not to funny but in the end Ant-man is a great enjoyable film 8/10

20. Macho Mantis Registered

You may not get Spider-Man meeting up with the X-Men any time soon, but fighting Doctor Doom?

:hmm

21. Dr. Remy Lebeau The doctor is in chere!

I loved the film! It had a unique flavor while also feeling like a part of the MCU! Here's my full review:

[YT]F2J7mTkNjeU[/YT]

22. mabromov Registered

So I just came back from Ant-man, and I'm not sure what I think about it yet.

There were parts I enjoyed, particularly the third act, but did anyone feel the movie had too much exposition?

Sometimes it just felt like scene after scene of a character explaining something. It got a little tiresome for me.

23. voyzovrezon nobody's fool

Me! This film was AWESOME! Love the humor, the suspense, the action, the story plot, the special FX....essentially, everything!

24. iambranded Registered

The movie was great.....well paced....story telling was very good, and overall vibe made this a nice family film without diving into the Avengers world too deeply.
    I think this can be made into a sequel and I thought each character brought a fresh change of pace

Now of all the Marvel movies... I think Cap: Winter Soldier was the best movie in terms of action, drama, excitement etc.... with Avengers a close 2nd and AoU right behind...but this is better than Guardians of the Galaxy in my opinion, and looking forward to more...aka Cap: Civil War.....

25. Slade W "Who Is Slade?"

Were there any spiders or other creepy, disgusting insects in the film?