Ant-man's reviews thread

[BLACKOUT]Couldn't Pym or Lang just build a new one though? Why did Pym just randomly hide a "signal jammer" in a Stark building?[/BLACKOUT] Makes no sense. Just an excuse to shoehorn in a cameo.

you clearly weren't paying attention. Pym explains that the device was created back in his former SHIELD days and it was being housed at an old abandoned Stark warehouse

Pym had no idea that the location was the newly constructed base of The Avengers. He ordered Lang to abort the mission

Watched it. It was decent. Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, and Evangeline Lilly made it worth while. Falcon and his scene didn't belong and he ended up looking like a chump. Wright was right to fight against its inclusion in the film. Another worthless villain. Front half of the film was a bit slow. Second half was better. I genuinely teared up when Hank was talking about how his wife died. Laughed a few times. Never really got excited by anything or felt any sort of rush like I did while watching Winter Soldier. But the quantum realm was genuinely interesting and a concept that I would like to see pop up again in the MCU.

7/10

Nothing spectacular. Nothing truly awful. Safe and generic. It is better than the messy Age of Ultron and the weak Dark World tho. Peyton took a ****** situation and did what he could with it and the final product wasn't a complete cluster****. For that alone he has my respect. This could have been so so much worse.

you clearly weren't paying attention. Pym explains that the device was created back in his former SHIELD days and it was being housed at an old abandoned Stark warehouse

Pym had no idea that the location was the newly constructed base of The Avengers. He ordered Lang to abort the mission

Yeah that whole "shoehorn" thing is a sort of lazy complaint. It's not a random scene as if this character in question is appearing with no plausible explanation out of thin air or something.
Reed has since highlighted that Marvel laid out no obligations to include such scenes in the movie, which did surprise me, but there it is. It's a cool thing they thought up and drafted into the script.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...ins-the-differences-from-edgar-wright-version
(spoilers)

The movie was ok, it won't necessarilly make me an Ant-Man convert but there's only so much you can do with the concept, you're never going to see Ant-Man stop an alien invasion or battle supergods, these movies are small scale that people expecting a loud blockbuster action fest won't see that here.

Michael Pena was really a standout here as the comic relief and the small scale miniature point of view of Ant-Man was pretty neat.

I dozed off a bit in the middle and probably missed something but when did Scott and Hope suddenly get so lovey dovey when they share a kiss at the end?

The movie was ok, it won't necessarilly make me an Ant-Man convert but there's only so much you can do with the concept, you're never going to see Ant-Man stop an alien invasion or battle supergods, these movies are small scale that people expecting a loud blockbuster action fest won't see that here.

Michael Pena was really a standout here as the comic relief and the small scale miniature point of view of Ant-Man was pretty neat.

I dozed off a bit in the middle and probably missed something but when did Scott and Hope suddenly get so lovey dovey when they share a kiss at the end?

Her interest in him starts when she finds out he has a daughter and is more than just a common worthless criminal. He also helps her realize why Hank doesn't want her in the suit and she finds out what happened to her mother. This results in her opening up to Scott and Hank more as the film progresses.

To be fair though, that kiss was just tossed in. Outside of one line halfway through the movie, there is no romantic build up for those characters.

I liked the film; it was very fun, but also very clunky. I'm still not entirely clear on Scott's back story - apparently he was both a burglar and a whistleblower? I'm not entirely clear on how the whistleblowing history ties in.

The villain was very much Obidiah Stane 2.0, but that isn't much of an issue, though I would have liked more info on how he suddenly knows all about Scott and the heist. The Yellow Jacket outfit was so ****ing cool though.

My thoughts on the inclusion of other Marvel characters in cameo roles in this and other Marvel movies....

I have been a member here since 2002 (13 years)...and in that time have read thousands of posts saying - Wouldn't it be cool if this giant Marvel character showed up in this other character's movie - Man I wish they had put this minor character that is connected to this character into the movie in some way - wouldn't it be cool if some other Marvel characters happened to walk through a Marvel movie....it is what everyone begged to happen.

Now....we have major marvel characters showing up for cameos in other marvel characters' movies...we have minor Marvel characters that are connected to a character being included and or referenced in their movies....we have various Marvel characters walking through Marvel movies......and people are complaining about it. I know this is a MARVEL forum....but I definately feel like I am in BIZZARO WORLD.

The comic books are chock full of characters appearing in other books for large roles in the storylines or for just a few panels for fun.

Whiners gotta whine about something. :hehe:

I liked the film; it was very fun, but also very clunky. I'm still not entirely clear on Scott's back story - apparently he was both a burglar and a whistleblower? I'm not entirely clear on how the whistleblowing history ties in.
He was a whistleblower who was fired for whistleblowing, so he then broke in and played Robin Hood, giving back to the other people the company had screwed over.

It's not the fact the cameo exists at all, it's how poorly handled and obvious the fanservice was.

You clearly do not understand what a "cameo" is to begin with. By definition those are shoehorned. They're one of those "oh hey look who/what just randomly showed up!

At least Marvel attempts to use it as a device for connective tissue.

Just got back from seeing this and I have to say that I really liked it. Peyton Reed did a great job under some difficult circumstances. Ant-Man is full of heart, laughs, and some great action. I am thinking that this is going to have a a very high rewatchability factor.

8.5/10

Eh it wasn't a big deal to me. It was also meant to be Lang's field mission test before the heist. He had to send him on an easier test before the real thing.

I think overall the film was fine. I don't think its the sort of "great feel-good surprise film " that alot fans are labeling it as . It was a fine matinee even with its flaws. Some have compared it to the first Iron Man, but I actually think its closer to films like The Rocketeer and The Phantom. I don't mean that as as insult at all .

I like both films and both are fun ,throwback, movie serial ,adventures which were smaller scaled and didn't take themselves massively seriously. Antman had very the feeling of those lighter hearted comicbook films. While I don't think it quite reaches the humor , heart, and energy of GOTG

All in all, I would recommend it .

I liked the film. I definitely see it as being better than Iron Man 2 or Thor: The Dark World.

I loved the "Heist" element that they played into the film. And I definitely appreciated seeing the growth and development of Hank's relationship with Hope, and how it somewhat mirrored Scott's with his daughter.

I really liked it, i actually like this more than AOU. I wasnt bored with any of the characters even with those with small parts but michael pena was a standout loved his character. The VFX was fantastic. 10/10

Loved the film. The Falcon fight turned out much better than I thought. Finally got to see Sam fight in close(r) quarters. Cross was OK, definitely better than a lot of the recent MCU villains. Lilly was excellent as Hope. Don't understand some of the complaints thrown her way. I liked Pena... Not as much as others though. Ruined the ending tbh.

Have to agree with those saying the film picked up around the middle... But overall it still had a tight story. Tighter than the likes of AoU or TDW, not as much as TWS or GOTG. Fantastic close to Phase Two. Really could have been placed anywhere and worked. I applaud Rudd, Reed & McKay for pulling this film together the way they did in the time they had. They really outdid themselves.

8.5/10

WARNING, SPOILERS IN MY REVIEW!!!:

Age of Ultron amazed me much more-so than any other movie had when I saw it in theaters, little did I know Ant-Man would do the same albeit to a much smaller extent and for different reasons. After seeing Ant-Man, it is most definitely within my top 5 Marvel Cinematic Universe films, tied with Winter Soldier at third place. It is a must-see for Marvel fans!

The action is not quite as spectacular as that of many other Marvel films, but the shrinking dynamic that is utilized by both the hero and the villain alike was intriguing, especially when it was taken to a quantum level (known as the Microverse in canon). I would have preferred to see more clear and direct hand-to-hand combat as opposed to Scott punching-out opponents with ease at the miniature level, but the action was overall very pleasing. I would also like to state that the minor appearance of the Falcon was a very welcome addition to this film, which even includes a short fight scene! The final fight was pretty spectacular, even though it lacked what was seen in the Steve vs Bucky scenes in TWS in-terms of hand-to-hand combat, simply due to the fact that the usage of everyday items as weapons and the shrinking-growing concept in battle was done very well. Oh yea, and I really did appreciate the concept of the ants assisting and ordering to Scott.

This was probably the funniest action film that I have ever seen! The little quips and jokes made those in the Avengers films look like something you would see in an episode of Spongebob. Unlike the humor in both Avengers movies, the humor in Ant-Man felt very fluent and seamless, and was remarkably hilarious to go along! My personal favorite scene of the "funny" type would definitely have to be the inclusion of the Thomas the Tank Engine toy in the climax, which literally ballooned the previously hand-sized toy into an actual railroad (made even more funny with the fact that Thomas' eyes are still motioning around!).

Other than the action and humor factors, there is not much else to discuss aside from the characters. They were all very humorous and enjoyable, and the villain (Darren Cross) was done very thoroughly, although he was oddly similar to Stane from Ironman back in 2008. That brings me to my next point that the Yellowjacket character itself did not appear until quite literally the third act of the film, which was very disappointing in my eyes, but not sufficient to kill my enjoyment of this film.

I would have to give this movie a solid 8.5-9/10. Definitely see it, especially if you are a Marvel fan!

Just got back from seeing Ant-Man my ONLY gripe is there wasn't MORE of Hanks being Ant-Man.
The beginning of the film was AWESOME with Howard, Peg and early Shield! REALLY looking foreword to seeing more of Ant-Man 9/10

Great film. Full of fun, great humor, nice visuals and it had heart. I think this has just become in my top 5 Marvel films. All around goodness and very enjoyable, much like GotG. Should have very good WoM as everyone seemed to love it at my showing and among my friends, including the skeptics.

8.5/10

I liked it. It's not as bad as I thought it would be and it's not as good as some people make it out to be, imo. But it's a visual treat, the visuals are something only Ant-Man can do and in the end that's what I care about most. The fight scenes are great some of the best in the MCU. I thought it handled the shared universe concept very well. It's a fun ride and I'd love a sequel or a Wasp spinoff. It really made me appreciated Ant-Man.

Might write a more detailed review later, but I loved it. The third act was amazing.

THis was pretty good. Looking forward to the sequel

The visual effects...well I'll say that this contained the most unique and interesting uses of SFX since Avatar.
Scott was good as a hero. Hank was a great mentor
Cross was a cool villain (why is a Ant-Man movie getting a better Luthor than it looks like we're getting with BvS :o)
The whole third act was amazing

However
It took a little while to start up. Pacing couldve been better. Honestly they couldve cut out the [BLACKOUT]Falcon[/BLACKOUT] fight scene
Love story was weak
As with a lot of MCU movies the humor couldve been toned down

All in all. Good movie. Cant wait to watch again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"