• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Comics Anti Venom: Good or Bad?

Spidey_Zombie

Civilian
Reaction score
Before I go any further with this discussion I would like to say a few things... Yes, I'm aware Eddie Brock killed a nurse in cold blood, I'm aware of his past coralls with Spider-man... And for the sake of argument? Maybe he doesn't deserve a second chance... But I think after dealing with the cancer, and pretty much having your life go to hell, only to be cured of cancer and given a second chance says alot... Why go back to evil? That's why i'm hoping Eddie becomes some kinda hero of sorts... That's just my opinion personally... Thoughts?

He didn't kill a nurse in cold blood...he let voices in his head tell him to do so, and he was remorseful during the process.

Anti-Venom seems to be a one-trick pony. His entire purpose is to be the "anti-Venom". Literally, his exsistance is just to kill the Venom symbiote. What else is there for him to do? And since his character has been developed to the point where it makes zero sense for him to EVAR go back to being Venom, and no, he should NEVAH be an anti-hero as Venom, hopefully Brock tenure as AV will be done by NWTD's end, and Gargan will stay Venom.

As Anti-Venom, I wouldn't mind him becoming an anti-hero of sorts, but nothing like he was in the 90s. It would fit Brock's character better than it would have him becoming Venom again and straying back and forth between villain to ally to lethal protector. Make him like the Punisher (Punisher MAX not War Journal) but again don't steer off in Lethal Protector territory and he should be fine.

I'd like to see the symbiote leave Gargan and become a host-jumping entity that's more like a disease than a costume. Anti-Venom would then have a great motive in that he'd be going out finding all the people who eventually get "infected" by the symbiote (and it's spreading spawns, maybe?), and "curing" them of the symbiotes. Brock would see himself as responsible for all these other people who get infected by the symbiote, and would use his new "symbiote-cleansing" powers to rid the world of the symbiotes once and for all.

I think it's a good idea in terms of character growth, but I agree with Venom.X that he is rather a one-trick pony. He's got a limited direction.

Well we haven't even read the rest of the story yet and your already calling Anti-Venom a one trick pony. This might be the right direction Eddie Brock (not Venom/symbiote) needs.

Well we haven't even read the rest of the story yet and your already calling Anti-Venom a one trick pony. This might be the right direction Eddie Brock (not Venom/symbiote) needs.
Oh don't get me wrong -- I like it in terms of giving Brock a new direction and even a redeeming one. But Anti-Venom is very....specific. He's all about being the nemesis of Venom by virtue of his name. It doesn't suggest room for Brock to be involved in anything other than taking out Venom.

It doesn't guarentee that is all he will try and do from now on -- hopefully he won't be that limited. But it comes off that way.

It just seems like with the developments Brock has been given, which is to say that these have been very good developments but nonetheless, there's no way for him to ever be Venom. And when you get down to it, that's all he's got. I mean, if the writers reveal to us that Eddie Brock has more to offer as some kind of supporting character, I'll have to wait and see, but having him be Anti-Venom, or making him return to being Venom-Venom, will definately make that status (as a normal supporting character) difficult.

As of right now, in NWTD, as I'm only referring to Eddie and what's happening to him here and now and as Anti-Venom, I don't see much use for him after this arc. He's a villain of a very specfic villain.

I agree. I mean, heck, we don't even know what his nature or powers are yet!

It just seems like with the developments Brock has been given, which is to say that these have been very good developments but nonetheless, there's no way for him to ever be Venom. And when you get down to it, that's all he's got. I mean, if the writers reveal to us that Eddie Brock has more to offer as some kind of supporting character, I'll have to wait and see, but having him be Anti-Venom, or making him return to being Venom-Venom, will definately make that status (as a normal supporting character) difficult.

As of right now, in NWTD, as I'm only referring to Eddie and what's happening to him here and now and as Anti-Venom, I don't see much use for him after this arc. He's a villain of a very specfic villain.

Of course, as I've stated already in another thread, I honestly do not think Brock will ever become Venom again, but thats a good thing (especially given his recent developments as you mentioned). And the name "Anti-Venom" could have multiple meanings other than the obvious. It could also mean hes the "cure to crime", which could help him from not getting written into a corner. And to be honest I don't think he will become part of the supporting cast ,at least I hope not anyway. Shoving Venom into every other comic is one of the reasons why he started to suck in the first place.

But making Anti-Venom a "cure for crime" sounds astonsihing similar to the Lethal Protector Venom days that ruined his character. So if that's his destiny, to don a new symbiote, and return as a "Lethal Protector" or "cure for crime", then no thanks. So we either have a repeat of those "good ol' days", or a character whose drive is extremely limited. OR he does return to being Venom...which makes no sense. I'm not passing any final judgment on this arc. I'm staying very optimistic, which...is...RARE for me; if you knew the kind of person I was IRL, you'd know it's easier for me to b!tch and stay negative until proven otherwise. Instead, I've already stated how positive I am for this story. So I am keeping a good outlook for the story. But still, what becomes of Eddie (and AV) really has me wondering. Those are just some of my guesses.

Thats why I said earlier, stay as far away from the 90s Lethal Proctor era. Do not make him some cooky guy that cracks jokes and all that jazz. Make him like Batman in presence and to the Punisher, in fighting crime methods.

But like you said, its too early to tell what direction hes gonna go in.

I, too, think he could be an Anti-Venom in the way that he goes around trying to "cure" the world from evil and sin as much as he can, in a way to finally atone for his sins as Venom.

He wouldn't be a "Lethal Protector", because he'd try to cleanse people non-violently, or at least non-fatally. He'd be going around saving people from theirselves, maybe? He'd just sort of...eat away people's sins?

I mean, how ironic would it be if Eddie Brock would end up a sort of "Sin Eater" now? ;)

I'd like to see the symbiote leave Gargan and become a host-jumping entity that's more like a disease than a costume. Anti-Venom would then have a great motive in that he'd be going out finding all the people who eventually get "infected" by the symbiote (and it's spreading spawns, maybe?), and "curing" them of the symbiotes. Brock would see himself as responsible for all these other people who get infected by the symbiote, and would use his new "symbiote-cleansing" powers to rid the world of the symbiotes once and for all.

Hopefully this will be the case. :yay:

I'm hoping that the "Mac Gargan" Venom will be resolved in New ways to die.

as much as I like eddie being Venom...it's obvious they might never do anything spectacular with him. (in regards to the original symbiote)

MARVEL NEEDS TO FINALLY FOLLOW THE ORIGINAL PLAN!!! Paul Buckingham already planted seeds for that to happen in the spectacular spider-man: "the hunger" arc.

hopefully we won't have any pregnant lady venom though. :huh:

Hopefully this will be the case. :yay:

I'm hoping that the "Mac Gargan" Venom will be resolved in New ways to die.

as much as I like eddie being Venom...it's obvious they might never do anything spectacular with him. (in regards to the original symbiote)

MARVEL NEEDS TO FINALLY FOLLOW THE ORIGINAL PLAN!!! Paul Buckingham already planted seeds for that to happen in the spectacular spider-man: "the hunger" arc.

hopefully we won't have any pregnant lady venom though. :huh:

I respectfully disagree. I don't like my favorite villains being so interchangable, that any random person can be considered Venom. I mean, Venom is supposed to be number 3 of Spidey's Big 3, right? If it was that easy for any Tom, Dick, and Larry to be Venom, then maybe the symbiote (and I'm being sarcastic here, don't take this seriously Marvel execs reading my post) was a villain all by itself? It'd be better than a new Venom every 13 months. I'd never feel any fandom attachment to such a revolving-door character type. Gargan as Venom is actually respectible (it only took FIVE YEARS and Warren Ellis). He'll never be my favorite Venom, but he has my blessings as the new (and only other) Venom.

What was the original plan?

You know, the pregnant lady who blames Spidey for her husband's death and finds the symbiote.

Wife: Let's go for a bite to eat
Husband: I'll stand in the middle of the street, honey, and wave down this upcoming taxi
(Spider-Man web swings by above)
Taxi Driver (driving down the street, looking upwards while driving): Whoa! It's Spida-Man! I nevah seen him in person!
(Taxi contines to get closer and closer, not slowing down, due to its driver not paying attention to the road. Husband is still standing in the middle of the street, flaging the still-approaching vehicle)
Husband: Der???!
(Taxi runs husband over)
Wife: HOOOOWLLLNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
(Wife's water breaks prematurely; bloated baby pops out from under her Sunday dress, swells further, then pops like a balloon)
Wife: I'LL KILL YOU, SPIDER-MAN! FOR DISTRACTING THAT TAXI DRIVER, HAVING HIM KILL MY HUSBAND, AND MAKING ME MISCARRAGE!

No...I kid you not; that is EXACTLY the original plan for the original Venom. A woman loses her husband due to a taxi driver running him over because he was busy watching Spidey web by, and she loses her baby to add more unneeded drama. She then becomes Venom. WTF FTW.

Well we had a baby Carnage in "Spider-Girl" not too many months ago. :)

You know, the pregnant lady who blames Spidey for her husband's death and finds the symbiote.

Wife: Let's go for a bite to eat
Husband: I'll stand in the middle of the street, honey, and wave down this upcoming taxi
(Spider-Man web swings by above)
Taxi Driver (driving down the street, looking upwards while driving): Whoa! It's Spida-Man! I nevah seen him in person!
(Taxi contines to get closer and closer, not slowing down, due to its driver not paying attention to the road. Husband is still standing in the middle of the street, flaging the still-approaching vehicle)
Husband: Der???!
(Taxi runs husband over)
Wife: HOOOOWLLLNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
(Wife's water breaks prematurely; bloated baby pops out from under her Sunday dress, swells further, then pops like a balloon)
Wife: I'LL KILL YOU, SPIDER-MAN! FOR DISTRACTING THAT TAXI DRIVER, HAVING HIM KILL MY HUSBAND, AND MAKING ME MISCARRAGE!

No...I kid you not; that is EXACTLY the original plan for the original Venom. A woman loses her husband due to a taxi driver running him over because he was busy watching Spidey web by, and she loses her baby to add more unneeded drama. She then becomes Venom. WTF FTW.

umm...sorry I asked...

God knows he would be busy with that, with all the symbiotes running around.
Venom
Hybrid
Scream
Toxin
the one that separated from Hybrid
any others still running around

God knows he would be busy with that, with all the symbiotes running around.
Venom
Hybrid
Scream
Toxin
the one that separated from Hybrid
any others still running around

See, I think that one is bs. The only "confirmation" of that was on wikipedia, and notice on that page that while all the other major facts have referrences, the fact about Hybrid losing a symbiote does not. I used to read The Initiative regularly, and during the belief that this took place, I was like "Huh?! How did I miss THAT?!" I still can't find the so-called referrence. I'm guessing its not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_(Venom_Spawn)

It always seemed weird that a mostly forgotten, largely unneeded symbiote character trapped in limbo would result in yet another symbiote.

Hm, I never read the Initiative, so I dont know. Anyway, there are still a lot of characters for Anti Venom to hunt. Maybe even a few leftover from Planet of the Symbiotes. It seems that the Xenophage ate one or two that survived when he came after Venom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"