Batman Begins Anybody else miss the pre TDK post Begins times?

metalhead_dave

Why am I back on here?
Reaction score
You all know when I'm talking about? Summer of 2005 to Spring of 2007? Back when before Nolan's Batman became so damn huge to critics and moviegoers alike? Back before Ledger's Joker became a Hot Topic trend? Before Christian Bale became a pariah and known as being in Heath Ledger's shadow?

Back then, Batman Begins was pretty much well known between just us comic geeks, and for the most part we all said it was a very solid Batman movie. "They FINALLY got it right," is something I remember one fan saying. Christian Bale was a hero to all who loved the movie and it was relatively small compared to other 2005/2006 blockbusters.

I sometimes honestly miss when the hype was low, and I miss just having Batman Begins. Anybody else with me?

I sometimes honestly miss when the hype was low, and I miss just having Batman Begins. Anybody else with me?
I see what you're saying, but a big reason why the hype was big for TDK, was due to the success of Begins. :cwink:

You all know when I'm talking about? Summer of 2005 to Spring of 2007? Back when before Nolan's Batman became so damn huge to critics and moviegoers alike? Back before Ledger's Joker became a Hot Topic trend? Before Christian Bale became a pariah and known as being in Heath Ledger's shadow?

Back then, Batman Begins was pretty much well known between just us comic geeks, and for the most part we all said it was a very solid Batman movie. "They FINALLY got it right," is something I remember one fan saying. Christian Bale was a hero to all who loved the movie and it was relatively small compared to other 2005/2006 blockbusters.

That time did not ever exist i'm sorry. If there's revision by some people to try to make begins as a cult hit...come on now. By that defenition wolverine was an indy film.

That time did not ever exist i'm sorry. If there's revision by some people to try to make begins as a cult hit...come on now. By that defenition wolverine was an indy film.
I think he means the forums weren't flooded with people on TDK/Hot Topic/"it's cool to be popular" craze that we did, in fact, see. Sure, the forums gained more members around the BB years, but TDK brought MUCH more during, and after, the hype. Also, the virals/promotions were more prominent for TDK. Yes, it was a lot more calm around here in "The Begins" days. ;)

And he's not saying that Begins was a "cult hit", just that it didn't gain as much attention as TDK.

Last edited:
TDK on DVD was the first Batman movie i watch seriously.. and i didnt like it the first time.... but when i watched Begins (some time after that...) i loved it, and it made me like TDK more.

Yup. I remember walking out of of Begins and having such high hopes for the next movie. I felt just so thrilled, the music was still pounding in my ears from the credits and I just remember loving the feeling of walking out of that theater. Things were just so great in Begins, I figured it could only get better with the addition of the Joker, and the continuation of the story they'd begun. (No pun intended.)

Walking out of the Dark Knight however was... not the same experience.

But yup, miss the time in between, when we all anxiously awaited every scrap of new info, back when we hoped that the Joker and Scarecrow would have this big stand off, back when we all were still getting used to the idea of Heath (not that I ever took the lipstick look seriously), etc.

Not really. I spent all that time being scared that what went wrong in Begins was going wronger in TDK. I had no much hope for TDK.

I think Nolan just had to prove he was the right man so they should leave him do his own thing. Gladly everything turned out well.

But I might need to re-watch Begins again. It's been a long time.

No, I don't really miss it. I think TDK proved that a Batman movie can rake in the big bucks like the Marvel movies. Not to mention it also showed that a comic book movie can be hard hitting, and doesn't have to pander to the kids all the time in order to be a success.

No, I don't really miss it. I think TDK proved that a Batman movie can rake in the big bucks like the Marvel movies. Not to mention it also showed that a comic book movie can be hard hitting, and doesn't have to pander to the kids all the time in order to be a success.

:up:

BB activated our imagination after we left the cinema. I was more excited by the next movie that would follow.
TDK wasn't that way, somehow. I am not really waiting and thinking about how the sequel could look.

I miss those days 2003-2005. Great memories.

The last thing I'd like to see on these boards is the return of those senselessly idiotic "Burtonite Vs. Nolanite" wars. Even though ironically that stupidity is what prompted me to finally create an account after years of lurking these boards to help check the sheer ignorance and misinformation that came from both sides.

But it speaks volumes how far along this section of the hype has come since then, in those days this was probably the most ridiculed sub section on this entire site now it's one of the more respected ones. The fact that most managed to shake it off and move on says a lot considering how many websites are still riddled with that poison all over. So nah I personally think things are better now even if the regular traffic is considerably slower.

I remember staying awake late at night so that i'd watch the TDK trailer just as it got out. That viral marketing had me hooked real bad. Not that i was solving many of its puzzles, but we knew when the trailers and pictures would come, and it was like announcing to a heroin addict when he's gonna get his next fix. It was excruciating.

I remember staying awake late at night so that i'd watch the TDK trailer just as it got out. That viral marketing had me hooked real bad. Not that i was solving many of its puzzles, but we knew when the trailers and pictures would come, and it was like announcing to a heroin addict when he's gonna get his next fix. It was excruciating.
I shed a figurative tear knowing I can't go back to that exiting time. Where my mind raced with visions of the Joker torturing Rachel and Maroni throwing acid in Dent's face. But I'm stil extremely pleased with the final results we got.

I was extremely excited for The Dark Knight the moment Batman Begins ended. I look forward to how exciting it'll get for when we even get a trickle of news for the new movie.

I felt exactly the same way :up:

I much prefer the pre-Batman Begins days, when it was basically around 30-60 comic fans wondering what the hell was going on with the next Batman movie. But that's just me.

I remember first hearing about Bale's casting on IMDB and thinking finally they got somebody who's muscular and badass, I even had a mini Bale marathon of American Psycho and Equilibrium.

Although I think it wasn't until the Super Bowl ads that non-comic book people stood up and noticed that this was an entirely new Batman, also with Revenge Of The Sith coming out BB kind of took them by surprise.

This is what really makes me sad in the post-TDK era. I still think is a wonderful Bruce/Batman. Everytime someone criticizes his performance I can't help but think they have read a different comic book. It's a funny/frustrating feeling... I think it's been very unfair to him. And at the same time I kind of pity those who didn't enjoy his performance because it makes the movie so much better. Sorry for venting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"