Chris Cooper On His ‘Batman Begins’ Near Miss

Discussion in 'Batman Begins' started by Antonello Blueberry, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Antonello Blueberry Inglorious bastard

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/03/04/chris-cooper-on-his-batman-begins-near-miss/#more-1886

2. Magic Griffin ...six?!?!

very interesting... i think he would have been good in the role... but Oldman is fantastic...

3. zerohour films Registered

Interesting read, but I for one am glad he did turn it down.

Gary Oldman was perfect in the role...he literally transformed into the character IMO.

Nothing against Chris Cooper, but I think he would have been missing something that Gordon needs. Can't put my finger on what just a certain characteristic.

4. Mee 2 E's are better than 1

Cooper was my choice, but Oldman nailed it. :up:

5. Nightwing1977 Want to see my mask??

Same here. Cooper would've been a great Gordon if Oldman didn't play the part. :word:

6. Joker Registered

I'm sure Cooper would have been fine, but as has been said, when Oldman takes a role, he transforms into that character for it. And he was no different as Gordon. He IS Gordon in these movies.

7. DaRkVeNgeanCe An Epic Film Guy

Im glad we got Oldman but Cooper woulda been good too I think.

8. Superman45 Registered

I would still consider Cooper for another part in the Batman franchise.

9. BatMatt Registered

when Cooper was first announced as a candidate, I was all for it. When he turned it down I was very disappointed. However after seeing Oldman in Begins I wouldn't want to have it any other way

10. spideyman101 Registered

I say bring Cooper in as a one time mob boss... with maybe a few minutes of shooting for later films... so he doesn't have to be away so long.

11. Super_Ludacris Registered

I remember when his name was in the mix, some people thought he was gonna do it for sure. No biggie...

12. Riven Registered

When his name started to pop up as a potential cast member, I was all for it, seeing as how the fan faves and most rumoured actors back then were guys like Kurt Russel and Dennis Quaid (blech). I was disappointed when he turned it down, but that went by quickly once Gary Oldman was cast!

13. Boom I got nothin'

If Oldman ever needs to be replaced:

[​IMG]

14. Nightwing1977 Want to see my mask??

Heh! Malcolm's dad. :funny: :funny:

15. Boom I got nothin'

He owns Breaking Bad.

16. Nirvana Slowly Losing My Mind

Hmmm, Cooper would have been interesting.

17. Two-Face Harvey Dent

Cooper could've been interesting but Oldman as Gordon not many thought of that.

18. Shoemeister srsly

Cooper is solid and would have been very good, but Oldman's Gordon pwns the world.

19. DesertBat86 Registered

Would of been a good choice, but Oldman's my Gordon

[​IMG]

20. Crook Registered

Whoa whoa whoa Cooper, THAT'S why you turned the role down? Cause I significantly remember you being quoted as saying that the script wasn't up to your standards...

21. david icke Registered

Yeah, I recall him being quoted as saying something like 'there wasn't as much of the character there in the script as I expected.'

I thought he was a great choice too when rumoured but am so glad Oldman did it. As 'zero hour films' said, there's a quality to Gordon that Oldman got down that Copper may not have conveyed as well, I don't know, a quality of friendliness? Cooper has a bit of grouchiness about him, sure he can always act past that, but it helps if there's a quality in the actor that's more leaning that way in the first place.

edit to add: Found the exact quote from Cooper: "I read the script and decided the substance of the script and the character was not up to what I expected."

I'd read it over here before at bof:

http://batman-on-film.com/b5newsarchives25.html

Suppose it could be a bit of both, he may not have wanted to stay away from his family for that length of time for a supporting role. He does seem to be dissing the script a little there in general though, perhaps he thought better of saying something like this again in order to respect the filmakers.

22. TheFamilyGuy Registered

Speaking of Chris Cooper, I just found out that he initially was part of a small sub-plot in the 2002 horror film The Ring, but it got completely cut out except for a small hint in a newspaper.

He also almost turned down his role in American Beauty...

23. Paste Pot Pete No, I build a rocket.

While I can't say for certain, because Oldman (with his long history of villainy) certainly surprised me, I just can't see Cooper bringing that uvuncular quality to Gordon that he needs. His would certainly be intense, but I could see it lacking the warmth that Oldman brought.

24. redfirebird2008 Registered

Wasn't Daniel Day-Lewis offered to play Ducard/Ra's? If I remember right, Anthony Hopkins was offered to play Alfred. The back-ups for these two parts were Liam Neeson and Michael Caine. The casting for BB was truly amazing for a superhero movie. Talk about settling for nothing but the best (except for Holmes). :wow: :yay:

25. ShadowBoxing Registered

Cooper is an amazing actor, I'm sure he could've been every bit as good as Oldman. I'm very happy with who they got though.