• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Anyone have a hard time watching tv because they're use to the internet?

MessiahDecoy123

Psychological Anarchist
Reaction score
Because the internet offers instant gratification I have a hard time watching an entire tv show.

My DVR is getting backed up.

Anyone else have this problem?

I really don't watch cable anymore....just netflix, amazon TV which can also be watched on internet

I am like Persistence ... Netflix and Hulu though.

I'd rather just wait for a show to either be online or download it a few days later to watch it than deal with all the commercials and waiting. I can't stand commercials anymore.

My mother is the same way. She'll just record the shows and fast forward through them to get to the show instead of waiting.

Whenever I do have time to sit down and turn the T.V. on, I end up flipping through channels, giving up, trying On Demand, finding nothing new and then it's time for Youtube. At least I can count on finding music videos on youtube.

On Demand is sooo frustrating because you can't fastforward past the bits of shows you've already seen and can't backtrack if you get called out of the room.

I like watching regular television and television on iTunes equally. They both have their pros and cons.

I miss commercials sometimes. Then I watch live TV and remember why I hated them.

I'm not only having problems with cable shows, I also have a problem streaming tv shows and movies off of Netflix.

I'm simply not motivated to watch any shows or movies because they lack the instant gratification of surfing the internet.

For example, I was suppose to watch a Netflix dvd today, either Kick Ass 2 or World War Z.

Instead I spent the last 4 hours surfing the net.

So is this an addiction, ADD, or is there nothing wrong?

I usually just watch stuff online while surfing. TV's usually just background noise, if anything.

The internet has ruined me. :(

I need to kick this addiction to instant gratification. I hate the compulsive urge to check my iphone when I'm reading a good book or watching a movie. Thankfully it's not so bad that I can't control it when I'm out with friends. I really hate it when I'm talking to someone and they're looking down at their phone.

Because the internet offers instant gratification I have a hard time watching an entire tv show.

My DVR is getting backed up.

Anyone else have this problem?
Sometimes (way too often) I have the same issue. Or I opt to watch a half hour show as opposed to an hour long show. And I can't always bear to just sit down and do nothing but watch tv. I like to multitask.
Although when I go to the theater, I'm perfectly fine

I miss commercials sometimes. Then I watch live TV and remember why I hated them.

The Super Bowl is the only time I like commercials.

Also I agree, the internet has kind of ruined my attention span. I can watch a whole movie, but sometimes if its a movie I've seen, even my favorites, at the parts I don't care as much about I'll whip out my phone or jump on my PC if I'm at home.

The internet has ruined me. :(

I need to kick this addiction to instant gratification. I hate the compulsive urge to check my iphone when I'm reading a good book or watching a movie. Thankfully it's not so bad that I can't control it when I'm out with friends. I really hate it when I'm talking to someone and they're looking down at their phone.

It's a gift and a curse.

You have endless knowledge and entertainment at your disposal and "threads" where we can endlessly explore specific topics we're most interested in.

The problem is very few things can compete with it and you don't want to bother with them.

I'm now a cyborg with a phone/computer attached to my eye socket.

I can still read with no problem. But I do find myself checking these forums when I should be watching the TV.

I can still read with no problem. But I do find myself checking these forums when I should be watching the TV.

Our ancestors complained about reading books when they should be working the fields.

Our parents complained about watching TV when they should be reading books.

Now we're complaining about checking the internet when we should be watching TV.

What's next in our devolution? :o

Bah at least I'm being semi social rather then becoming a comatose zombie.

Our ancestors complained about reading books when they should be working the fields.

Our parents complained about watching TV when they should be reading books.

Now we're complaining about checking the internet when we should be watching TV.

What's next in our devolution? :o

Devolution? I don't think it that cut and dry.

Reading is more productive than working the fields and surfing the web is more productive than watching tv.

But I do like your chain of thinking there. :yay:

Bah at least I'm being semi social rather then becoming a comatose zombie.

Semi-social or super-social.

Most of my real life conversations are small talk, gossip, or reminiscing. On-line I discuss and debate events and ideas (when I'm not goofing off. :ninja: ).

accidentally left the d off of used. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"