Anyone here truelly satisfied with the Nintendo Wii?

Wi-Fi is a great way to play online games. It works great with the DS. I don't expect anything different from the Wii.

CantThinkOfAName said:
Like how the SNES died with Super Mario World, the N64 died with Ocarina of Time, and the Gamecube died with Super Smash Bros? :(

Uh... the N64 and Gamecube both did sorta die, yeah. A console needs plenty of games, and good original titles. The consoles may have done well, but as far as their games were concerned, the consoles might as well have died.

DACrowe said:
Eh? Is that sarcasm, because SNES won its console war and N64 did extremely well, even if Playstation sold more.

And for the record Prince of Persia and Assassins Creed are two very different things and POP is on all consoles. I was never a big fan of them though and Asassins Creed while visually stunning I think is going to be a bore to play, but will sell well because graphics tend to sell better than gameplay sometimes.
Yes it was sarcasm, good catch. :o

And I think this new PoP is gonna be Wii exclusive.

kainedamo said:
Uh... the N64 and Gamecube both did sorta die, yeah. A console needs plenty of games, and good original titles. The consoles may have done well, but as far as their games were concerned, the consoles might as well have died.

Uhh.. GC yes, N64 didn't die, that was a successful system.... sure it didn't outsell PS, but it was still a huge hit. N64 and PS console war was the best I think, especially because most (or at least a lot of games) weren't multiplatform. I wish most games would be exclusive....

DACrowe said:
Eh? Is that sarcasm, because SNES won its console war and N64 did extremely well, even if Playstation sold more.

And for the record Prince of Persia and Assassins Creed are two very different things and POP is on all consoles. I was never a big fan of them though and Asassins Creed while visually stunning I think is going to be a bore to play, but will sell well because graphics tend to sell better than gameplay sometimes.

They're both action/adventure games made by the same developer.

i'm as a big a nintendo fan as ANYONE here, and let me say the first next gen console i will be getting will likely be the xbox 360.

wii had me really hyped before, but now, i'm starting to really like the 360 and the wii launch is really underwhelming.

when smash brawl and metroid and mario come out, maybe i might change my mind.

A couple of weeks ago, I was really hyped. But I'm having doubts.

I'll wait for a couple of things.

1) I'd like to know if third party developers take advantage of the controller. If it turns out that alot of 3rd party games are more fun on the Wii, then great. Call Of Duty 3 could be a really fun game on the Wii.

2) I want to know what must have cames will come further down the line. And I want top class original games. Party games really aren't my thing, and Nintendo has party games galore.

Sadness looks like it might be an interesting original game.

DACrowe said:
And for the record Prince of Persia and Assassins Creed are two very different things and POP is on all consoles.

I think the new POP is only for the wii.

I recall some "Why won't it be on PS3" *****ing. With Ubisoft pimping wii the way it does it would not surprise me.

I'm still hyped for the wii, but I'm going where POP goes anyway. :)

Underwhelming launch?

Clearly you have no knowledge of past launches of previous systems. The Wii lanuch is the greatest in gaming history.

No Nintendo system has ever launched with a Zelda game. This is the first time it will happen. This is also supposed to be the greatest Zelda game of all time. Twilight Princess alone makes the launch great.

Whats the final word on controlers? I've heard aside from the new one (the wand) that we can save our Gamecube ones and use them? and also saw a pic in the past of a new wii controler that looks similar to a gamecube one...

No Wii games are only played with the nunchuck (where have you been?) or wii-mote. The wii-mote is the wand and you can connect an analog stick to it form ost gaems to continue fun gameplay. However, the gamecube controllers can be used to play GAMECUBE games and there will be port slots for them and the memory cards (it has backward capability with the Gamecube) and best of all it is all wireless now.

But no new controller for the Wii that is non-motion controlled though.

spideyboy here are two links that best demonstrate how the Wii controllers work. While the acting is INCREDIBLY cheesy in both, especially the Zelda one, it gives you a good look at it. I'd also note that since then they've made modifications on the Zelda controls so you use the wii-motre to slash like a sword and both parts to actually simulate you firing your bow.

But here are two major titles at launch, Zelda and a shooter called Red Steel. They demonstrate the controllers quite well:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8RBVU2SaYM

And go to the top left video on the next link for Red Steel.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/821/821973/vids_1.html

Hope that helps then.

DACrowe said:
spideyboy here are two links that best demonstrate how the Wii controllers work. While the acting is INCREDIBLY cheesy in both...Hope that helps then.

Don't be so shallow! :oldrazz:

DACrowe said:
spideyboy here are two links that best demonstrate how the Wii controllers work. While the acting is INCREDIBLY cheesy in both, especially the Zelda one, it gives you a good look at it. I'd also note that since then they've made modifications on the Zelda controls so you use the wii-motre to slash like a sword and both parts to actually simulate you firing your bow.

But here are two major titles at launch, Zelda and a shooter called Red Steel. They demonstrate the controllers quite well:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8RBVU2SaYM

And go to the top left video on the next link for Red Steel.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/821/821973/vids_1.html

Hope that helps then.

then what was with that wierd gamecube like wii controler shown way back when

Well you can still play Gamecube games on the Wii but the only game being made for those controllers for just the Wii is Super Smash Bros. Brawl. All other games will use the wii-mote only or most likely the nunchuck demonstrated in those two videos.

spideyboy_1111 said:
then what was with that wierd gamecube like wii controler shown way back when

That was a mock up by IGN.

ahh ok... well if Brawl will be able to use the GC controller... i'm sure others will eventually... and the IGN mock up, i'm sure would eventually come reality.. i cant imagine the wii-remote would feel comfortable with all games... i figure it will kinda end up like Xbox having to make a smaller control because people didn't like the big ones

They're going to design games around the Wii mote. For a game like SSBB, there are too few controls and the tilt sensors would throw you off. Don't expect it to be a common trend.

o come on, that'd mean no fight games would be made for the wii.. fight games and hell even some race games call for more buttons then what the wii would offer... this is why they'd need another remote

It's stupid to have games use the GC controller. What would the purpose of the wiimote then?

There will be fighting games that use the wiimote in the future, but SSB has such a complex fighting system that it'd be incredibly frustrating to play with the wiimote. Racing games only need an analog stick and 2 buttons for accelerate and brake. The only racing game that would need more is Mario Kart and there are the 1 and 2 buttons for that.

Spidey-Bat said:
It's stupid to have games use the GC controller. What would the purpose of the wiimote then?

There will be fighting games that use the wiimote in the future, but SSB has such a complex fighting system that it'd be incredibly frustrating to play with the wiimote. Racing games only need an analog stick and 2 buttons for accelerate and brake. The only racing game that would need more is Mario Kart and there are the 1 and 2 buttons for that.

mario kart uses more then 4 buttons... accel, break, fire, skid or hop (if they ever bring that back) and if they piggy back you need a button to switch them like in double dash.

what i'm saying is Wii-mote would be for games where people would want to use them... the GC style would be for those who dont. Some people don't learn and evolve easily with a remote.. esp one where it makes you active, i know i'd prefer to hold one remote in both hands rather then a wand in one and a joy stick in the other...
Its not stupid imo to have two different styles of controllers.. if anything nintendo would make more money because people would have to buy them seperatley plus they'd still be weight sensative..

But....this is THEIR "revolution." It is what Nintendo is BETTING on. Why would any parties make Wii games using a Gamecube controller? It'd be stupid because that makes ALL ports or exclusives last gen then. A wii has the graphic output of about an Xbox 1.5 and is WAY behind graphically of the Xbox 360 and much more the PS3. The system excells in gameplay controls. You buy the Wii for the awesome controller and motion sensors. Otherwise it is just a poorer rendition of other consoles of this generation.

And you bet Nintendo will NOT make any other games for the GC controller because the Wiimote is their selling point. It is what they are banking on winning them the console war. And for the most part third parties love the wii-mote/nunchuck and think it opens MANY possibilities and companies that have ignored Nintendo essientially for generations (like Square Ennix) or all together (like Rock Star) are so intrigued with the controller they are beginning to make games for Nintendo again.

It is the major point of Wii. Why use an old controller ona new system for new games? In all honesty the only reason SSBB is getting a GC controller is Melee worked so well on the Gamecube and it ieasier to reuse the same system. But most are switching. And if Excite Trucks and Sonic have showed us anything the racing posibilities are far greater with the wii-mote. Using it alone to control the racing is the novel idea.

And they have about 5 buttons on the Wii-mote and another 2 or 3 on the nunchuck so it is not all motion controlled. But THIS is what the Wii is about and in all honesty it is the future. Expect some variation on motion control on ALL next-gen consoles in 5 years when the new systems come out then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"