Iron Man Anyone one else getting a weird vibe about the tone of this movie?

Humor is fine. It just doesn't need to overwhelm the story.

IM isn't a comedy.

I agree, and I've seen nothing so far that would make me think it'll be anything other than that.

Iron Man has no powers, so saying that the you are not interested in the Dark Knight just because none of the characters have super powers means that you must not be looking forward to Iron Man either.

I love Iron Man and Batman, and one of the reasons is that they have built their own super identity. They were not born with it, they did not ask for it, but because of a tragedy in their lives they decide to become heroes. In my opinion that makes them more heroic than some of the other characters who have powers.

:im: :brucebat:

As for the tone of Iron Man, i am not worried at all. Having heard the cast and crew talk about the film in alot of interviews i am confident that the film will find a great balance between humour, drama and action.

Yeah but there's a serious difference between Iron Man and Batman. Neither has powers however Iron Man simulates powers via his suit. Batman doesn't do that. The closest he comes is base-jumping/gliding which if it were in a list of super powers would rank as a pretty lame power.

I don't mind there being comedic moments. And from a marketing standpoint, it makes sense that the trailiers are highlighting that in order to bring people in. But as others have said, there needs to be a balance.

I don't really see Iron Man as being that lighthearted of a character. Definately not as dark as the Punisher or Daredevil, but more serious than Spider-Man and Fantastic Four. I've always seen the tone of Singer's X-Men movies as being appropiate for the character's own film.

The Indiana Jones movies were in fact very cheesy, but they were the cheese trendsetters and they were cheesy in a good way that imitators simply can't replicate.

Yes, these movies should have humor in them, but they shouldn't be stupid like the FF movies. Which turned them into dumb family/kiddy comedies.

Look at Incredibles which is a comic book super hero movie that still mixes in elements of seriousness, death, and suspense throughout the story as well as entertaining comedy.

It can work, it's just all about execution and presentation and how well the material sells it.

Look at Ghost Rider. The comedy came off terribly. And the drama and angst was C-level. And it seems whenever there was a chance to have a serious scene, they turned it into dumb comedy. Not to mention the villains were laughably bad and not believable at all.

Fullmetal Alchemist there's a series and a movie that could be funny one second and then deadly serious, scary, and emotional the next.
Great post! :applaud

DK will win the box office but I also have little doubt that Iron Man will be the better all around film. I'll have to see the Hulk trailer to judge it against DK.

Most agree that Batman Begins was a good film but it declined significantly when Bruce suited up. Nolan has trouble filming action. We'll all have to wait and see.

Agreed. TDK will be huge, but I have no doubt that Iron Man will do well. At least it doesn't look like Ghost Rider or Fantastic Four.

I just hope it has more humor than the very few funny lines in the entire movie of Batman Begins(i.e. "nice coat", "stall them; tell them that joke you know", "you can borrow the Rolls", "didn't you get the memo").

why? it wasn't a comedy.

Having humour doesn't automatically make a film a comedy. I know BB wasn't a comedy but some of the more dull moments could've used some humour to help keep interest piqued. I understand what little humour BB had was used for this purpose but considering how little the amount of humour and the high volume of dull/dry areas in the film, they could've used some more IMO.

I had the chance to interview Favreau at WonderCon and one of the questions I made it a point to ask was regarding the concern that the movie might be too comedic:

Screen Rant: Some people are concerned that there might be a little bit too much humor in the film.

Jon Favreau: Yeah, I mean there might be, there might be. I really try to capture the irreverence of Marvel - especially growing up there was always a sort of tongue in cheek quality to Marvel, but the tongue in cheek never had to do with the stakes of the action or the situation. They always took the reality of the world very seriously, but the characters had... especially Tony Stark had a little bit of an irreverence to him. And certainly Stan Lee and all those letters to the Editor... there was always a tradition of Marvel being a reaction to the other books that were very earnest. This one had a little bit more of a swagger, and I think that the tone... I'm very proud of the tone of the film. I think there's a definite sense of reality and there's definitely a sense of - in the clips we showed today there was definitely some humor in it and we wanted to show that side of it.

Screen Rant: It didn't seem overstated, in my opinion.

Jon Favreau: This is as silly as it gets. It doesn't get sillier.

For the full interview you can go here:

http://screenrant.com/archives/huge-iron-man-update-new-inter-1460.html

Vic

Screen Rant: Some people are concerned that there might be a little bit too much humor in the film.

Jon Favreau: Yeah, I mean there might be, there might be.

That's not comforting.

It sounds like he's admitting it is just a comedy. :eek:

I really try to capture the irreverence of Marvel - especially growing up there was always a sort of tongue in cheek quality to Marvel, but the tongue in cheek never had to do with the stakes of the action or the situation. They always took the reality of the world very seriously, but the characters had... especially Tony Stark had a little bit of an irreverence to him. And certainly Stan Lee and all those letters to the Editor... there was always a tradition of Marvel being a reaction to the other books that were very earnest. This one had a little bit more of a swagger, and I think that the tone... I'm very proud of the tone of the film. I think there's a definite sense of reality and there's definitely a sense of - in the clips we showed today there was definitely some humor in it and we wanted to show that side of it.

Has this guy read any comics of Iron Man not written by Stan Lee? :confused:

IM didn't stop existing after Stan stopped writing.

All of the characters in Marvel have evolved since Stan.

He certainly didn't write the most famous storyline for IM dealing with alcoholism.

Screen Rant: It didn't seem overstated, in my opinion.

Jon Favreau: This is as silly as it gets. It doesn't get sillier.

That's good.

I just hope the whole movie isn't all about Tony Stark making jokes.

Moderation is a good thing.

Thanks for the link, Vich. :D

anyone have the full image of this??

IronMansig2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe