April 2011 Sales (...sort of)

runawayboulder

2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP
Reaction score
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/20075.html

The actual numbers have not been released yet (a little far behind than normal) but according to the article the sales free-fall has slowed a bit. Fear Itself to no surprise took the #1 spot and Mighty Thor took #2. I'm figuring the full sales will be out in the next day or two so keep checking the link.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2011/2011-04.html

This has the full Top 100 list for April 2011, although not actual sales estimates.

- Unlike some months, Marvel dominated both the Top 25 (14 titles) and the Top 10 (6 titles, including the #1, FEAR ITSELF #1).
- HEROES FOR HIRE is looking healthier than IRON MAN 2.0, which is interesting.
- FF #1 was the top book in March; the second issue was still in the Top 5 (at #5), which is great for the Four. Given prior estimates, that may put it at around 70k. It actually outsold AVENGERS this month for a second straight time.
- SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #1000, being a random, overpriced one shot that has nothing to do with current stories, managed to sell in the Top 100 at $5. That's not bad, I'd say.
- ASM continues to be a Top 10 seller during BIG TIME, at least one issue a month. It's second was still in the Top 15.
- VENOM #1 sold in the Top 20, and issue two sold in the Top 40 (at #37). While hard numbers aren't known, I've seen worse drops.
- HERC #1 debuted in the Top 40, albeit at #40. Given how some related mini's struggled to sell above the Top 50 even at debut, that's pretty impressive. I wonder if it has something to do with the trade collection for CHAOS WAR selling within the Top 10 Graphic Novels list. It was the only 616 Marvel trade to do so.
- AVENGERS: THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE keeps sliding down the Top 50. The length between issues could be effecting it, but such things barely effect some other material, like Mark Millar's KICK-ASS 2 in sales. This issue was technically a month late. But it could also be that the YOUNG AVENGERS are not the draw they used to be even with the original creators involved due to the length of time since their prime.
- In March, which saw two issues of AVENGERS ACADEMY, sales were holding steady and they both sold within the Top 90 (at #83 and #86). In April, the title is back in the Top 75. Again, without hard numbers this is hard to judge, but it looks positive at least. If sales overall are down for the Top 100-300, it could be a glitch. For instance, in March, PUNISHERMAX sold at 19k and was outside the Top 100 (at #107); this month, PUNISHERMAX is in the Top 95 (at #93). That suggests sales overall took a dip market wide. In March, AVENGERS ACADEMY was seeming to hold steady north of 23.5k, with Marvel expecting a boost for the FEAR ITSELF tie in (which may disappoint them unless retailers go back to pre-2009 crossover spam mode).
- BLACK PANTHER: MAN WITHOUT FEAR is now selling below AVENGERS ACADEMY; it is still sliding down slowly but surely, but slower than some relaunches. Marvel won't give up on T'Challa, though.

Last edited:
Here's the sales estimates for April--http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/20090.html. For the top 20, we had the following:

1. FEAR ITSELF #1 --128,595
2. MIGHTY THOR #1--82,071
3. GREEN LANTERN #65 (WAR OF GL)--75,780
4. BRIGHTEST DAY #23--70,289
5. FF #2--69,790
6. BRIGHTEST DAY #24--69,742
7. AVENGERS #12--63,441
8. BATMAN INCORPORATED #5--62,204
9. NEW AVENGERS #11--61,778
10. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #658--61,687
11. AVENGERS #12.1--60,455
12. GREEN LANTERN CORPS #59 (WAR OF GL)--60,162
13. ACTION COMICS #900--60,152
14. BATMAN AND ROBIN #22--59,076
15. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #659--58,258
16. UNCANNY X-MEN #535--56,795
17. BATMAN #709--56,578
18. FLASH #10 (FLASHPOINT)--54,953
19. FLASH #11 (FLASHPOINT)--54,633
20. UNCANNY X-FORCE #7--54,292

F*** yeah, The Mighty Thor did really well. I'm happy because, unlike Fraction's previous arc, it was actually pretty good. :awesome:

Wow Bendis' Avengers books are sinking like rocks.

They're fine. It's just the events pushing them down. That they're still in the top 20 at all with no fewer than 3 major events running right now (War of the GLs, Flashpoint, and Fear Itself) is a testament to the masses' poor taste their staying power.

;)

Your probably right, still that seems really low to me for those books. Also Action Comics 900 only sold 60,000 copies? Damn. I mean you would think a huge #900 milestone book would do big numbers, especially with all the media controversy around it.

- BLACK PANTHER: MAN WITHOUT FEAR is now selling below AVENGERS ACADEMY; it is still sliding down slowly but surely, but slower than some relaunches. Marvel won't give up on T'Challa, though.
I think what has slowed the decline is that it used to be Daredevil's book. If T'Challa didn't take over Daredevil's book and was launched with a new #1, this book would have sunk faster than the Titanic.

Now that ICv2 has posted hard numbers, better comments and analysis can take root. Thanks!

Overall comic sales were down versus this point in 2010, but only by about 1.5%, which is close to holding level. Still...the #100 book in the Top 100 didn't even sell 17,800 copies. That's CRAZY.

Note that FEAR ITSELF #1's debut of over 128k is the best selling comic since July 2010, it is still a weaker debut than SIEGE #1, which sold in the 130k-135k range. To be fair, the first few issues of SIEGE were returnable, which caused Diamond to under-report sales by about 20% for the first few issues. SIEGE's sales dropped with #2 but held steady over 110k an issue. It does look like that the days of crossover comics selling north of 150k, or heaven forbid 200k and up, are behind us.

What doesn't bode well is that even two issues in, buzz online is still of confusion and dismay that the story is so simple. Marvel promoted the story with a series of images that are likely never to appear in the book, yet Tom Brevoort almost gets huffy answering questions about them online. The audience probably expected a plot or theme more complex than what would have sufficed for an episode of "CHALLENGE OF THE SUPERFRIENDS", only played straight. Thus, the story Marvel promoted is not the same as the story they are selling; when a mom and pop grocery store does this, it's called "bait and switch" and the manager can go to jail over it.

Wow Bendis' Avengers books are sinking like rocks.

To a degree, yes. Bendis' AVENGERS and NEW AVENGERS have seen steady, consistent "diminishing returns" at larger rates than one would expect for the man who was the top selling ongoing series writer for years. At this point, both books' declines are only slowed by variant covers, which have become the norm for Marvel. The normal rate of "diminishing returns" per month for many (Marvel) comics is 1-3% a month. Some months of Bendis Avenger comics without variants have seen drops of 4-6%, which are large for books running so long with such a "big" writer.

AVENGERS #12 sold at under 63,500 copies in April; in March, it sold over 66k, with the benefit of a Capt. America variant cover. Without it, it sold 63k in February.

In April, NEW AVENGERS sold over 61k. That is actually a boost from March, where it sold over 59k. Still, these are historic lows for NA. A year ago it was selling over 75k, which is where GREEN LANTERN sells lately.

Now, in an overall comic market that is "soft", these are still good enough numbers to be Top 5-10 sellers. But it can be said that without the aid of variant covers, Bendis has slipped from his perch. Geoff Johns is now the best selling writer of ongoing series in comics, and Hickman and Fraction have outsold him lately. I will thus be curious to see how well MOON KNIGHT #1 debuted this month.

Some have said that this is due to Bendis' Avengers titles no longer being the be-all and end all of Marvel's direction; if so, then it merely proves that promotion and "importance" matter as much as name power and talent in terms of sales.

I think what has slowed the decline is that it used to be Daredevil's book. If T'Challa didn't take over Daredevil's book and was launched with a new #1, this book would have sunk faster than the Titanic.

True. Marvel has done these sort of "stealth relaunches" before; having INCREDIBLE HERCULES take over for INCREDIBLE HULK and having Daken take over for WOLVERINE with DARK WOLVERINE. The first time, it took readers a while to notice and drop off, namely because the story was also good. With Daken, it was a disaster from which WOLVERINE's sales have still not recovered. Did any of us think we'd be alive to see the day when WOLVERINE struggles to sell in the Top 30, yet ASM is in the Top 10?

However, like every short term gimmick trick that Marvel has, if it worked once, they overdo it until it doesn't. In theory, BLACK PANTHER: MAN WITHOUT FEAR is holding steady; April is the second month it has sold north of 23k. But it still shed about 600 copies from March, and is thus still seeing drops per month of 2-2.5%. That is okay for now, but if that remains steady it will be in cancellation range within a year. That's about average for T'Challa.

The irony is out of all of Marvel's lessons and stunts from the last decade, the one they have failed to learn from and imitate is the lesson of THOR. They canceled his title in 2004 due to historic low sales for the character. The series wasn't anywhere near, say, SPIDER-GIRL sales, but for THOR it was seen as embarrassing. Marvel initially planned to relaunch it right away with Mark Millar and then Neil Gaiman at the helm. But plans fell through, and THOR remained off the stage longer than anticipated - 3 years, at least, with no new THOR in 616 (there were some flashback mini's set in the past). Yet, what happened? This gave the market, and audience, enough time to genuinely miss THOR, because he'd been gone so long. It also gave the unspoken but obvious message to retailers that Marvel wouldn't relaunch THOR just because - they were going to wait until they did it right and it mattered. Thus, when THOR returned with JMS (then at the peak of his popularity) in 2007, sales were high and remained high for years. Yet the only lesson Marvel learned was an old one - hot creative team on a big franchise equals sales. But the bigger lesson was that people can't miss something if they aren't given enough time to do so.

Maybe Black Panther could benefit from that. He'd been out of print a few years when the Hudlin/Romita Jr. series launched. But we'll never know if Marvel just keeps reviving him less than 7 months after his last stab dies.

More thoughts:

- Now that hard figures are in, AVENGERS ACADEMY #12 actually saw a small decline since March; approximately 56 copies. It has sold over 23,500 copies for four straight months, which is a sign of stability. Marvel likely expects a boost for the 5 issue FEAR ITSELF tie in, but I doubt that will be as much or last as long as Marvel hope. The real key will be how consistent Academy's small audience is. The drops between issues continue to diminish; the sales drop from February's issue to March's was approximately 76 copies (or 0.3%). This is also a title that continues to see short term sales spikes of 1-4% due to a variant cover, but those are, again, short term. The best selling issue of the last 6-7 months remains AVENGERS ACADEMY #7 - the issue that Pym became Giant-Man again, which was the ONLY issue since the first that happened to be promoted in any extra way. It also had a TRON cover. Still, AVENGERS ACADEMY becomes one of few launches from Marvel to feature less than A-List characters to survive past a full calender year. Hopefully Marvel is rewarded for it's editorial investment in it. It's a great title. I will be very curious how well the $7.99 AVENGERS ACADEMY GIANT-SIZE sold. I know it was a rare item around Brooklyn.

- VENOM #1 debuted at just under 54k, and #2 dropped to just above 41k. That's a drop of about 13k readers, or around 23-25%. That's not too bad considering, say, WOLVERINE: THE BEST THERE IS's second issue dropped over 40% and keeps sliding. By the numbers it has had a stronger two issue debut than AVENGERS ACADEMY did, and that title will at least see a 20th issue. This is easily the best ASM spin off debut in years and a solid relaunch performance from Marvel, thus far. Given that this isn't the Brock version, and even in his prime in the 90's, VENOM never had an ongoing series (just a train of mini's), this is good news indeed. It shows that ASM can be used to effectively launch something, at least post-BIG TIME. Given that SPIDER-GIRL has been canned, it's success rate in that regard is 1:2, which is better than some franchises I could mention.

- HERC #1's debut at over 38,700 copies is actually quite strong. In Jan. 2009, as INCREDIBLE HERCULES, it was selling around 31k. The shift to $4 priced mini's actually caused sales to diminish; the final issue of PRINCE OF POWER fell to 17k; that could have also been because it was starring Amadeus Cho, who may be a popular supporting character, but he can't sell on his own. CHAOS WAR #1 debuted at 34k and finished at 24k, which is very consistent - sales barely dropped more than 25% for the whole mini series. While I could be gasping a bit if HERC #2 sells below, say, 25k, at least for now this is the best selling issue of Pak/Van Lente Hercules material in close to two years. That's an accomplishment. Reasons? Years of positive word of mouth could be having an effect; over at DC, two of Gail Simone's ongoing series have seen modest gains for absolutely no reason other than that. Also, the trade paperback for CHAOS WAR sold in the Top 10 list of Graphic Novels in April, at over 2,500 copies. It was the only trade collecting a 616 story from Marvel to perform that well; is this a coincidence? Retailers always complain that releasing a trade of the prior arc so soon before the next hurts back issue sales; if so, then why has THE WALKING DEAD, which has one of the fastest and overprinted trade collections in history, gained sales almost every month for 5-7 years?

- Whether the .1 Initiative is a success or failure depends on who you ask at Marvel. In November 2010, VP of sales David "You Must Have Misquoted Me" Gabriel stated that the intent was to draw in new readers, and thus it'd be a success if sales for the ongoing series picked up "dramatically" afterward. This has not happened, and if that is the measure, it was a failure. However, Tom Brevoort considered it a success because the .1 issues sold close to the same level as a regular issue did - or, better than most annuals or spare one-shots sell (although that pesky fact hasn't stopped Marvel from selling either). If this is true, than the .1 Initiative was a method of selling more product, which is in line with Marvel's market flooding techniques of the last 2-3 years. Since Marvel see it as a successful gimmick, they will thus spam it until it no longer works. Notice that ALPHA FLIGHT and GHOST RIDER are getting .1 issues before #1 issues, because Marvel has so belittled the worth of a new #1 lately that they need something else. While the ASM .1 issue has seemed to have successfully launched VENOM, most of the .1 issues were annuals under another name, that sold better than annuals used to. Not that Marvel doesn't still print annuals. They'd print a shopping list if it meant out-publishing DC by 15-30 comics a month. It was once said that the definition of Puritanism is "the fear that someone, somewhere, is happy." To Marvel, their business strategy is the fear that someone, somewhere, will publish more comics a month than them.

- Look at a few of those spare THOR comics below the Top 125.

- THUNDERBOLTS has slid to 25k, but that's about where it sold in February without a variant cover; it is still down from earlier in the year, where it sold 26k. Still, for such a long running series, it has hung tough fine.

- ANNIHILATORS #2 sells at over 24k; the first issue debuted at 26k. That's a very small second issue drop, showing that the space audience remains small, but loyal. Hence why Marvel are unlikely to completely pull back from it.

- HEROES FOR HIRE sold at 21,815. That is approximately only 13 copies less than in March. That is a pleasant sign of stability, since 19k is usually "the dead zone" at Marvel. While Abnett & Lanning haven't matched their space audience here, they may have a loyal audience in general.

- IRON MAN 2.0 is down to 20k, which is 4k less than in March. It doesn't look stable and even with double-shipping may be lucky to last 10 issues. It seems calling WAR MACHINE something else didn't fool anyone. If DAKEN has to be relaunched, expect Marvel to call it WOLVERINE 2.0.

- I would say it isn't a good sign when FEAR ITSELF: HOME FRONT #1 can't sell above 32,700 copies. It was the first spin off of FEAR ITSELF and while that isn't bad for an anthology mini, but given that FI #1 scored 128k, you'd have expected it to debut at maybe 45k at least. This is why I don't think FEAR ITSELF will perform or boost as well as Marvel may hope. I can imagine someone will be pushing a panic button if FEAR ITSELF #7 just barely sells over 100k.

- AVENGERS: THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE seems to be holding steady just under 32k. Still way down from the prime of the series, but better than the time-filling AVENGERS: THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE: YOUNG AVENGERS #1 did in March.

- THE WALKING DEAD now outsells INCREDIBLE HULKS. You can see why it's "ending" to be relaunched.

- For the second month, two issues of ASM have sold north of 58k, which is above it's average. The Top 10 seller sold at 61k. That's the best selling issue since the start of BIG TIME in November. Perhaps the tie-in with FF helped.

- FF #2 sold at over 69,700 copies. The first issue sold 114k, so that was a hefty drop. However, the last time Fantastic Four sold anywhere near 69k was in early 2008. It was over 6k above FANTASTIC FOUR #588, the "final" issue. Axing off a major character and leaking it to the media can continue to be a cash in move. At any rate, let it be said that Hickman, not Millar, has been able to really boost this franchise.

Your probably right, still that seems really low to me for those books. Also Action Comics 900 only sold 60,000 copies? Damn. I mean you would think a huge #900 milestone book would do big numbers, especially with all the media controversy around it.

The thing is, though, with the actual averages of numbers on the list...it did do some fairly big numbers :/

Also, Marvel has been sneaky and been selling some comics with 20 pages without announcing it. DC naturally made that obvious for their "Holding The Line at $2.99" promotion. When asked about this on CBR, Tom Brevoort whined, "Nobody notices when we sell some comics with 23 or 24 pages occasionally." Or words to that effect. What a hero.

Again, when mom and pop grocery stores do such cheap "bait and switch" tactics, they get Arnold Diaz or the I-Team or some CBS journalist embarrassing them during sweeps month. In comics, and pro-sports, this is just a common tool in the kit.

Also, Marvel has been sneaky and been selling some comics with 20 pages without announcing it. DC naturally made that obvious for their "Holding The Line at $2.99" promotion. When asked about this on CBR, Tom Brevoort whined, "Nobody notices when we sell some comics with 23 or 24 pages occasionally." Or words to that effect. What a hero.

Again, when mom and pop grocery stores do such cheap "bait and switch" tactics, they get Arnold Diaz or the I-Team or some CBS journalist embarrassing them during sweeps month. In comics, and pro-sports, this is just a common tool in the kit.

Wait, seriously? I didn't know that.

Wait, seriously? I didn't know that.

Yes, seriously.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32330

CBR's Kiel Phegley: And I should make note here that several people have seen that it appears as though Marvel's $2.99 titles have been dropping to 20 pages an issue. After the comments many folks (including yourself, if I recall correctly) made about dropping work for freelancers when DC went to 20 pages at $2.99, what makes Marvel's move to 20 pages different in terms of how much the artists are able to make each month compared to what DC was criticized for?

Tom Brevoort: Our page counts tend to fluctuate wildly from month to month and even issue to issue. Nobody ever seems to notice, for example, that we occasionally go up to 23, 24, even 25 pages in "New Avengers." And sometimes we go the other way. In the case of "FF," it was part of a strategy to make sure that artist Steve Epting could complete the launch issues on our more aggressive schedule. In a case like that, we do our utmost to ensure that Steve always has work on his drawing table -- be that the next issue of "FF," an upcoming "FF" cover, or a short story or a long-term project that can be picked away at when and if they’ve got any downtime. With both "FF" #587 and "FF" #1 being larger than normal issues, we needed to make back the time somewhere, and this is how we went about accomplishing that.

Tom Brevoort really wants praise when by accident, at random intervals, Marvel sells an issue of NEW AVENGERS with extra pages at $3.99. Because Tom sees it as business as usual to sell NEW AVENGERS at $3.99 for 22 pages, but selling an issue that has 24-25 issues is a horrific, bankruptcy-worthy expense that he's the unsung hero of.

And then Marvel brass turn around and wonder why fans are so cynical and never take them at their word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"