• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

March 2011 Sales Estimates

runawayboulder

2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP
Reaction score
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/19837.html

FF#1 took the top spot with the only book over 100K

Venom had a terrific debut at 20.

The movies are doing nothing for Cap or Thor, they've been sitting in the top 30 for a while.

A double dose of Avengers Academy performed at the same level. It was even outsold by Black Panther.:doh: I guess the fanbase is what it is anymore.

If those numbers are accurate, then ASM sales went up by about 4000 readers on average in one month...

:yay:

I haven't had a chance to compare the 2 yet but if that's true that is cool.

I saw these. While March 2011's sales are up from Feb. 2011, they are still down from March 2010. Of course, March 2010 had SIEGE going full steam, and whatever the DC event was, BLACKEST NIGHT or whatever. 2010's sales didn't start to get ugly (as in 2001-2002 ugly) until around the third and fourth quarter.

FF #1's debut of 114k was very good - note, this was around where typical issues of SIEGE sold last year. The question will be how FF #2 sells and what the drops are. FF #587 sold a lot better (especially since a 2nd print saw over 5,300 copies sold), and sales for #588 dropped, but dropped to a level that was still a level Four sales hadn't seen since about 2007 - better than ASM. Overall, Marvel has made some good short term moves with the Four, now to see if they hold out. Note that FF #1 is only the second comic in 6 months to sell at least 100k copies.

Another short term success is VENOM #1. It debuted at 54k, which is one of Marvel's best debuts since AVENGERS ACADEMY and probably the best of a Spider-Man spin off in a very long time. Given that the ASM .1 issue promoted Venom and was ordered at 55k (with 53k being about what an average issue of ASM sells), Marvel have basically successfully convinced everyone who reads ASM to try Venom - or at least retailers to order VENOM like they order ASM. Typically, a spin off will sell around half the parent title does, so this is good news as SPIDER-GIRL calls it a siesta after issue eight.

AVENGERS ACADEMY #10 and #11 selling below the Top 80 looks a but worse than it is; sales have remained steady above 23,600 copies for 3 issues now, and the issue to issue drops are getting smaller, even if still noticeable. Marvel wants to keep the series around until issue #20 at least, when its FEAR ITSELF tie in ends - after which it could be relaunched if sales demand. 23k is about where NOVA hung on for a chunk of its final year (and it ran for a full three years). Marvel do seem invested in this series - offering a reprint of #1 in UNCANNY X-MEN, having the characters team up in ASM, and a FEAR ITSELF crossover. Part of me thinks Marvel should have showed this much investment before a year passed and sales fell to 23k, but late is better than never. It's a great book, so I support some of that AGENTS OF ATLAS style stubbornness here (as I did for the AGENTS). It doesn't help that the first six issues were sold as an expensive HC rather than a cheaply priced trade or digest, though. Digests worked for RUNAWAYS.

The delays and nature of the product are making ASTONISHING SPIDER-MAN & WOLVERINE slip from notice.

ANNIHILATORS #1, at 26k, had a better debut than SILVER SURFER did despite Greg Pak being a "bigger name". The space audience is still small but loyal, which is likely why Marvel isn't ready to pull the plug on DnA's space tales yet. And, to be fair, look how many Marvel mini's and ongoings sell below 26k, especially for a $5 price tag.

It still amazes me to see an era where comics that sell below 20,800 copies make the Top 100. That was impossible even two years ago.

Black Panther continues to slide down the chart no matter how many times Marvel relaunches it or how many ways it tries to paint it up and sell it. He is fast becoming their version of Hawkman - the franchise a company try selling in a series every few years that sinks like a stone, only to be picked up and dusted off months later and tried again, with predictable results. And even DC have gotten some of the hint about Hawkman, for now. You can make him part of the Four, have a girl replace him, have T'Challa replace DD, marry Storm, it doesn't matter - the fans don't turn out and remain. What is next, honestly? Have T'Challa take over SECRET AVENGERS after Ellis and call it SECRET PANTHERS? Like an entire team run by him, his wife and his allies. How about having him take over a Hulk book as BLACK HULK, or did Mark Millar already do that in an Ultimate book somewhere (and escape being accused of racism because Europeans evidently can't be racist)? Go on, keep rewrapping the same fruitcake, Marvel. Regardless of how one feels about T'Challa as a character, this is getting embarrassing. I don't even think Christopher Priest could save him. Although its about the only thing Marvel hasn't tried yet.

ASM continues to sell well in BIG TIME. Sales of 58-59k are above the usual average of 53k that the series has been hitting since 2008 - the start of the "more than once a month" era.

The curious thing to note this month is there were more moved units than dollars made - which ICv2 saw as a hint that DC's price cutting initiative, that also saves them costs via 2 less pages to have to produce per issue - may be having an effect. It hasn't boosted DC's profits, but it may have helped trim costs. Marvel, meanwhile, has an economic strategy akin to a Hydra - one book dies, two replace it.

HEROES FOR HIRE #4's sales at 21k, below the Top 90, are not healthy. If it doesn't hang in there, it could be dead by its second arc like SPIDER-GIRL is. Issues 7-8 have been solicited, and it might survive to complete a second story by issue 9 or 10, but not longer if sales don't get stable fast. It appears DnA's loyal space audience is not willing to catch them in other genres.

Given how low HAWKEYE: BLIND SPOT is selling, it seems obvious that McCann's story is only being published because he was making some major moves and other books up the ladder obliged. You really can't stop the presses about some things.

Wait...POWER MAN & IRON FIST #3 really sold below 11k? That is a steep drop from where it debuted (which was about 27k, or better than SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN started). THUNDERSTRIKE's sales are also getting ugly, but it has a better excuse; Marvel are Thoring themselves out so much with other stuff, it got lost in the shuffle.

Last edited:
ASM is going nowhere but up. I think by the end of summer it will be a top 10 title and Marvel's best seller. Many of the naysayers and pessimists are coming around after reluctantly trying the first few arcs of Big Time and liking what they got. "Infestation" could be where it breaks through to the next level.

I'm curious where the drop off Venom #2 will have but I'm glad a lot of people gave it a shot. Gauging responses from at least this board, I expected a 30K debut. The book has a tremendous creative team. If Marvel invests support with this book like they are doing with Avengers Academy (which had the same debut like Dread stated) we could get 20 or so issues of Venom. With room like that, Remender could make this one epic chapter in the life of Flash Thompson.

ASM is going nowhere but up. I think by the end of summer it will be a top 10 title and Marvel's best seller. Many of the naysayers and pessimists are coming around after reluctantly trying the first few arcs of Big Time and liking what they got. "Infestation" could be where it breaks through to the next level.

I'm curious where the drop off Venom #2 will have but I'm glad a lot of people gave it a shot. Gauging responses from at least this board, I expected a 30K debut. The book has a tremendous creative team. If Marvel invests support with this book like they are doing with Avengers Academy (which had the same debut like Dread stated) we could get 20 or so issues of Venom. With room like that, Remender could make this one epic chapter in the life of Flash Thompson.

ASM has sold in the Top 10 at various points during BIG TIME, including in Feb. 2011 (issue #653, at the 10th spot). It has the ability to see an uptick in sales based on nothing more than a decently promoted or anticipated story, whether BIG TIME's launch itself, or OMIT, or so on. Without such things, it averages about 53k an issue, but often is above that (especially for the first issue in a month). The current tally for ASM #648, the start of BIG TIME remains at over 79,700 copies - a bar ASM hasn't seen often since the launch of BND (or the one shot Obama issue). In March 2011, AVENGERS sold over 66k and NEW AVENGERS over 59k - the latter not so far removed from ASM (the gap was literally 303 copies). Bendis' Avenger titles have seen vaster dips over the years than ASM has. BIG TIME looks to have been another success. It will be interesting if April's tie in with FF sees a sales boost too.

As an amendment, AVENGERS ACADEMY #1 officially sold 45,890 according to ICv2 last June. Thus, VENOM #1 had a stronger debut. It was a better debut than the latest relaunches of X-23 and DAKEN: DARK WOLVERINE, for comparison. Again, the riddle remains what its second issue drop will be. Seeing a 15-20% drop from debut sales is not uncommon, and any more is often dangerous. If it slipped to, say, about 43k at issue two and held relatively steady there, it could likely last at least a year, if not longer. Easily the best Spider-Man spin off in years, sales wide. Despite all the changes to Venom, it seems he still has a draw. The .1 issue likely didn't help anyone jump onto ASM, but it probably gave VENOM #1 the best chance possible. Ironically, the story dictates that Flash Thompson has a finite number of missions with the symbiote, and it will be interesting if Remender plans to bleed that out or literally attempt one mission an issue and then plan from there.

Onto other comments....look at IDW'S GODZILLA: KING OF ALL MONSTERS launch, selling at #16 of the Top 20. That's damn good for a third party company. WALKING DEAD has also picked up steam and is basically this generation's Spawn in terms of top selling, publicly known Image stuff.

Look at how low WOLVERINE: THE BEST THERE IS and WOLVERINE & JUBILEE sell. Even WOLVERINE is being outsold by, of all things, a past-its-prime JLA. Logan's A-Title struggles to sell in the Top 30 these days, beyond a #1 issue sparkle. Marvel need to realize that decades of over exposure have whittled away at his solo popularity and realize he can't support so many titles, whether ongoings or mini's, anymore.

It looks like calling War Machine IRON MAN 2.0 didn't fool anyone. It debuted at over 31k (about where NAMOR: THE FIRST MUTANT debuted, which has since been canned) and is now at 24,600. Sales could get ugly by issue six. WAR MACHINE may have lasted a while in the 90's, but so did many other comics. Now is not that time. Some of these C-List properties are the sort of properties that genuinely need a good, long, Thor style rest before trying to dig them out of the latest grave, but Marvel don't have the courage to rest many of their titles more than about 3-8 months. Namor is another example of this. The dilemma is Marvel cares about market and unit dominance, so it doesn't care how much it spends on series that won't last, so long as two new titles are sold for every one that die.

It is a disgrace that Deadpool MAX, one of the best titles on the shelves, doesn't even sell 20k a month.

David Lapham just can't catch a break. One of the best writers in the industry today finally gets a mainstream gig, and thanks in part to Marvels Deadpool spamathon, it tanks. I also blame the philistines who don't know what good comics are.

It is a disgrace that Deadpool MAX, one of the best titles on the shelves, doesn't even sell 20k a month.

David Lapham just can't catch a break. One of the best writers in the industry today finally gets a mainstream gig, and thanks in part to Marvels Deadpool spamathon, it tanks. I also blame the philistines who don't know what good comics are.

I fully agree with you. I hope Marvel gives him another book with a street level hero. I was hoping for the 616 Punisher relaunch but that was a no-go.

I think he would do an amazing job on Moon Knight or Deadpool. Better than Bendis and Way, at the very least.

ASM has sold in the Top 10 at various points during BIG TIME, including in Feb. 2011 (issue #653, at the 10th spot). It has the ability to see an uptick in sales based on nothing more than a decently promoted or anticipated story, whether BIG TIME's launch itself, or OMIT, or so on. Without such things, it averages about 53k an issue, but often is above that (especially for the first issue in a month). The current tally for ASM #648, the start of BIG TIME remains at over 79,700 copies - a bar ASM hasn't seen often since the launch of BND (or the one shot Obama issue). In March 2011, AVENGERS sold over 66k and NEW AVENGERS over 59k - the latter not so far removed from ASM (the gap was literally 303 copies). Bendis' Avenger titles have seen vaster dips over the years than ASM has. BIG TIME looks to have been another success. It will be interesting if April's tie in with FF sees a sales boost too.

As an amendment, AVENGERS ACADEMY #1 officially sold 45,890 according to ICv2 last June. Thus, VENOM #1 had a stronger debut. It was a better debut than the latest relaunches of X-23 and DAKEN: DARK WOLVERINE, for comparison. Again, the riddle remains what its second issue drop will be. Seeing a 15-20% drop from debut sales is not uncommon, and any more is often dangerous. If it slipped to, say, about 43k at issue two and held relatively steady there, it could likely last at least a year, if not longer. Easily the best Spider-Man spin off in years, sales wide. Despite all the changes to Venom, it seems he still has a draw. The .1 issue likely didn't help anyone jump onto ASM, but it probably gave VENOM #1 the best chance possible. Ironically, the story dictates that Flash Thompson has a finite number of missions with the symbiote, and it will be interesting if Remender plans to bleed that out or literally attempt one mission an issue and then plan from there.

Onto other comments....look at IDW'S GODZILLA: KING OF ALL MONSTERS launch, selling at #16 of the Top 20. That's damn good for a third party company. WALKING DEAD has also picked up steam and is basically this generation's Spawn in terms of top selling, publicly known Image stuff.

Look at how low WOLVERINE: THE BEST THERE IS and WOLVERINE & JUBILEE sell. Even WOLVERINE is being outsold by, of all things, a past-its-prime JLA. Logan's A-Title struggles to sell in the Top 30 these days, beyond a #1 issue sparkle. Marvel need to realize that decades of over exposure have whittled away at his solo popularity and realize he can't support so many titles, whether ongoings or mini's, anymore.

It looks like calling War Machine IRON MAN 2.0 didn't fool anyone. It debuted at over 31k (about where NAMOR: THE FIRST MUTANT debuted, which has since been canned) and is now at 24,600. Sales could get ugly by issue six. WAR MACHINE may have lasted a while in the 90's, but so did many other comics. Now is not that time. Some of these C-List properties are the sort of properties that genuinely need a good, long, Thor style rest before trying to dig them out of the latest grave, but Marvel don't have the courage to rest many of their titles more than about 3-8 months. Namor is another example of this. The dilemma is Marvel cares about market and unit dominance, so it doesn't care how much it spends on series that won't last, so long as two new titles are sold for every one that die.

In this aspect i hold a TON of respect for DC. Aside from a glut of Batman and Superman titles, their line of books is very compact. Although Green Lantern is gradually entering that spam territory but for the most part their line is very tight which i think works better for the smaller books like Secret Six or Power Girl or JLI.

In this aspect i hold a TON of respect for DC. Aside from a glut of Batman and Superman titles, their line of books is very compact. Although Green Lantern is gradually entering that spam territory but for the most part their line is very tight which i think works better for the smaller books like Secret Six or Power Girl or JLI.

To be fair, even DC has a cancellation point for most DC Universe titles; there are exceptions, such as JONAH HEX, and they are willing to endure lower sales on VERTIGO titles (often because trades make up for many of them). I think for Marvel, once a comic's sales drop to about 18-19k with no end in sight, they pull the plug. For DC, that threshold is lower, likely around 14 - 13.5k for DC super hero titles. That is about where BLUE BEETLE wrapped in its 35th issue, for example. POWER GIRL has actually GAINED sales this year. From January to February, sales on that book went up over 1%. In March, its sales were over 17,200 copies - or roughly where it sold in November. While Marvel would cancel any non-MARVEL ADVENTURES title that sold that poorly, this is a feat in which a comic has GAINED sales in Q1 2011 without a relaunch, a crossover, or even heavy promotion - especially since the popular launch team left last year. SECRET SIX is down from where it was years ago, but its sales have remained in the high 19.5k range for the last 7 months - March also saw it get a very marginal gain.

One thing I will say about DC - they seem to show an amazing degree of patience with trying to boost flagging franchises. It took them YEARS of investment in Green Lantern to get it to where it is now, but look at it now; GL has supplanted Superman in terms of sales, and is right there with the ever-popular Batman. Even despite being spammed up the hilt, Batman has not suffered a fall in sales for many of his side titles as drastically as Wolverine has; of course, Batman hasn't had a terrible film since the 90's. While FLASH relaunching is a bit silly, that title was selling very well. BRIGHTEST DAY has dominated the Top 10 for months despite it focusing on many characters unable to sell on their own - J'Onn, Hawkman, and Aquaman among them. Now AQUAMAN is getting his own relaunch with Johns. They also are more aware and encouraging of trade sales than Marvel is.

That isn't to say DC is perfect. Their attempt to boost SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN with JMS has been, at best, a disaster. DC remains clueless about what to do with the latter, even as a TV show dawns (and everyone has seen what a TV show has done for THE WALKING DEAD - hell, SCOTT PILGRIM comics saw a major boost from a film that BOMBED). They waited years to launch spin offs of characters who appeared in 52, such as THE GREAT TEN, which was canned by issue 9. DC had a snafu with Nick Spencer and SUPERGIRL that is downright embarrassing - he was hired to write the title, and was in the middle of writing scripts when DC decided they didn't like his direction and axed him before he produced a single issue; then, when Spencer's announcement on the title proved to have buzz, DC tried to woo him back, only by then he'd signed an exclusive to Marvel. Such snafu's are not new at DC; Marvel by contrast seems to have a better allure with writers who aren't Morrison, Johns, or the departed McDuffie - likely because editorial lets most writers go hog wild. Creators who signed exclusives to DC have often ran, not walked, back to Marvel as soon as they expired, like Mark Bagley, Adam Kubert, and Sean McKeever (and this after DC let McKeever write TEEN TITANS, a comic more important than ANYTHING Marvel has let him write). WB has done everything but hire assassins in the night to keep the Superman creator lawsuits in limbo. So, obviously, not everything is roses and harps for the Distinguished Competition.

On the other hand, I think DC has slowly gotten the hint to not launch a mainstream superhero series nobody wants. People wanted SECRET SIX back, so there it is. On the other hand, we haven't seen a HAWKMAN launch in a while (or no random stuff like HAWK & DOVE, while Marvel has launched a few "what were they thinking" titles like DOCTOR VOODOO). DC tested the waters with BATMAN BEYOND as a mini, and when that did well, then chose to launch it as an ongoing - which is selling modestly well. In fact, its sales have hit a steady 28k range quickly - the mini tested the demand and retailers likely know how many to order due to it.

That said, XOMBI #1 had a terrible debut as a non-Vertigo DC book, and it may not last much longer than SIMON DARK did.

Last edited:
To be fair, even DC has a cancellation point for most DC Universe titles; there are exceptions, such as JONAH HEX, and they are willing to endure lower sales on VERTIGO titles (often because trades make up for many of them). I think for Marvel, once a comic's sales drop to about 18-19k with no end in sight, they pull the plug. For DC, that threshold is lower, likely around 14 - 13.5k for DC super hero titles. That is about where BLUE BEETLE wrapped in its 35th issue, for example. POWER GIRL has actually GAINED sales this year. From January to February, sales on that book went up over 1%. In March, its sales were over 17,200 copies - or roughly where it sold in November. While Marvel would cancel any non-MARVEL ADVENTURES title that sold that poorly, this is a feat in which a comic has GAINED sales in Q1 2011 without a relaunch, a crossover, or even heavy promotion - especially since the popular launch team left last year. SECRET SIX is down from where it was years ago, but its sales have remained in the high 19.5k range for the last 7 months - March also saw it get a very marginal gain.
Like I said to you before, "Drawing the Line at $2.99" has really saved the smaller books. With no $3.99 comics, even the ones that are "important" like Batman, Incorporated, the Flash, and Green Lantern, people who buy DC Comics are less likely to drop high quality smaller titles like Booster Gold, Power Girl, Zatanna, and Secret Six while those who buy Marvel titles are less likely to buy and/or faster to drop high quality smaller titles like Hercules, Iron Man 2.0, Avengers Academy, because they have to make room for the $3.99 Fear Itself along with $3.99 books like the Mighty Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, etc.

One thing I will say about DC - they seem to show an amazing degree of patience with trying to boost flagging franchises. It took them YEARS of investment in Green Lantern to get it to where it is now, but look at it now; GL has supplanted Superman in terms of sales, and is right there with the ever-popular Batman. Even despite being spammed up the hilt, Batman has not suffered a fall in sales for many of his side titles as drastically as Wolverine has; of course, Batman hasn't had a terrible film since the 90's. While FLASH relaunching is a bit silly, that title was selling very well. BRIGHTEST DAY has dominated the Top 10 for months despite it focusing on many characters unable to sell on their own - J'Onn, Hawkman, and Aquaman among them. Now AQUAMAN is getting his own relaunch with Johns. They also are more aware and encouraging of trade sales than Marvel is.

That isn't to say DC is perfect. Their attempt to boost SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN with JMS has been, at best, a disaster. DC remains clueless about what to do with the latter, even as a TV show dawns (and everyone has seen what a TV show has done for THE WALKING DEAD - hell, SCOTT PILGRIM comics saw a major boost from a film that BOMBED). They waited years to launch spin offs of characters who appeared in 52, such as THE GREAT TEN, which was canned by issue 9.
Agreed.

DC had a snafu with Nick Spencer and SUPERGIRL that is downright embarrassing - he was hired to write the title, and was in the middle of writing scripts when DC decided they didn't like his direction and axed him before he produced a single issue; then, when Spencer's announcement on the title proved to have buzz, DC tried to woo him back, only by then he'd signed an exclusive to Marvel.
Actually Spencer left the book because he was getting more and more work from Marvel along with his work with T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents.

Such snafu's are not new at DC; Marvel by contrast seems to have a better allure with writers who aren't Morrison, Johns, or the departed McDuffie - likely because editorial lets most writers go hog wild. Creators who signed exclusives to DC have often ran, not walked, back to Marvel as soon as they expired, like Mark Bagley, Adam Kubert, and Sean McKeever (and this after DC let McKeever write TEEN TITANS, a comic more important than ANYTHING Marvel has let him write).
1. DC is actually attracting new and highly talented writers like Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire along with promoting James Robinson, Gail Simone, Keith Giffen, Peter Tomasi, Tony Bedard, etc.

2. You can't blame DC for not wanting to keep McKeever, his Teen Titans run was horrible and DC saw that readers were dropping that book fast.

WB has done everything but hire assassins in the night to keep the Superman creator lawsuits in limbo. So, obviously, not everything is roses and harps for the Distinguished Competition.
More like WB is trying to get rid of the greedy opportunistic lawyer who "represents" that doesn't want to settle with WB because WB isn't going to give him a share of the rights (which is his true objective).

we haven't seen a HAWKMAN launch in a while
Hawkman is getting a new book by James Robinson and Philip Tan. Firestorm has also been confirmed to get a new book.

Like I said to you before, "Drawing the Line at $2.99" has really saved the smaller books. With no $3.99 comics, even the ones that are "important" like Batman, Incorporated, the Flash, and Green Lantern, people who buy DC Comics are less likely to drop high quality smaller titles like Booster Gold, Power Girl, Zatanna, and Secret Six while those who buy Marvel titles are less likely to buy and/or faster to drop high quality smaller titles like Hercules, Iron Man 2.0, Avengers Academy, because they have to make room for the $3.99 Fear Itself along with $3.99 books like the Mighty Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, etc.

I never disagreed. While Marvel act like they haven't the foggiest idea of a budget, retailers and readers do. When all the "big books" or just a damn lot of books in general cost more to order and buy, shops and readers cut corners. I sure as hell noticed sales on NOVA take a swan dive from a year of stability to steady losses once more $3.99 comics became the norm; NOVA literally sold 24k or better for a full 12 months during the middle of its run before Marvel started making more titles $3.99 in 2009-2010. Then all of a sudden it started to slip and finished around 19k. It wasn't alone; clearly retailers were scimming back on the small books to maintain orders of the big ones, and a lot of readers did, too. Marvel hasn't figured this out, though. THOR's price has flip-flopped, and while INCREDIBLE HULKS is back to $2.99, it is one of few major ongoing titles that are. I understand the idea of selling comics with 30 story pages for a higher price, but even Image found a price between $2.99 and $3.99 ($3.50). Hell, quite a few of Kirkman's INVINCIBLE issues offer a back up strip of either CAPES or TECH JACKET for NO extra price. Somehow, he hasn't filed for bankruptcy.

I do agree that so long as Marvel's Top 20 comics are $3.99, that will continue to crush their smaller books and eliminate the "middle class". Also, having debut issues be $3.99 for pure short term sales kills many in the cradle. Even WOLVERINE hasn't kept a bounce from his $3.99 relaunch.

Actually Spencer left the book because he was getting more and more work from Marvel along with his work with T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents.

I read about the SUPERGIRL editorial snafu elsewhere. It could be both. As SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN show, DC is not always supreme when it comes to editorial moves.

1. DC is actually attracting new and highly talented writers like Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire along with promoting James Robinson, Gail Simone, Keith Giffen, Peter Tomasi, Tony Bedard, etc.

2. You can't blame DC for not wanting to keep McKeever, his Teen Titans run was horrible and DC saw that readers were dropping that book fast.

I suppose both Marvel and DC are recruiting new talent. Keith Giffen is an old hand at DC, and Gail Simone and James Robinson have been there ages, too.

The thing with McKeever is that while his TT run was not good, it was at least a B-title. Marvel has NEVER had him write a B-title. Under the best circumstances, YOUNG ALLIES was a tough sell and would have struggled to last beyond a year even in better times - launching the same week as AVENGERS ACADEMY likely didn't help. Aside for that, are mini's.

Of course, work is work. I'd write a Marvel Z-Title if they wanted.

More like WB is trying to get rid of the greedy opportunistic lawyer who "represents" that doesn't want to settle with WB because WB isn't going to give him a share of the rights (which is his true objective).

It is debatable whether WB/DC gave them fair share of Superman. All lawyers are greedy; that's not questioned. It depends on whether you're for or against heirs getting legacy royalties.

Hawkman is getting a new book by James Robinson and Philip Tan. Firestorm has also been confirmed to get a new book.

Yes, but both have been amped in BLACKEST NIGHT/BRIGHTEST DAY and took a break from relaunches. It's been 2-4 years since DC sold an ongoing title named FIRESTORM or HAWKMAN (or HAWKGIRL). Marvel barely lets Black Panther, Moon Knight, Punisher or Daredevil rest 2-4 months. Putting Bendis on MOON KNIGHT on paper is a solid move; if HE can't make it last, nobody can. His Avengers work proves he can basically poop on a keyboard and sell an issue of something. He's getting routinely outsold by Johns and Morrison, though. But the rest?

It is a shame Marvel didn't learn the lesson of THOR. After they canned his series in 2004, they initially wanted to relaunch it right after; however, circumstances kept preventing it outside their control. However, this extra time built up demand. Fans can't miss something unless it is gone long enough for them to notice. The lack of Thor in the MU was noticed. It also gave the implication that Marvel were not just going to relaunch Thor just to keep him in print; they were waiting until they "got it right". The fact that JMS was in the prime of his career as a monthly comic writer didn't hurt, either. Unfortunately, it is a lesson Marvel fails to learn with other characters. Would having NO Black Panther comics for 2-3 years build demand and make a new one after that length of time do well? It's unknown, but certainly having him appear in one canceled series after the next with no end in sight or rest between train wrecks isn't working. In real business, when a plan has failed time and again, you change it.

I seriously wonder if Marvel have a back up plan if FEAR ITSELF underwhelms - as in it can't surpass or match sales on SIEGE, and if all the mini's sink like a rock at the bottom of the Top 100. I seriously wonder if Marvel have a back up plan for anything sometimes.

While Marvel do have their successes and quality books, their strategy does seem to be ramping up more product to make up for shortfalls, and this is, again, a short term strategy that can't last long. One day, a series of spammed short term strategies won't work. You can keep covering those cracks in the dam with duct tape and band-aids, but eventually it gives. Will a few more ugly quarters make Disney take notice?

Last edited:
It is debatable whether WB/DC gave them fair share of Superman. All lawyers are greedy; that's not questioned. It depends on whether you're for or against heirs getting legacy royalties.
While it's true that DC screwed over Siegel and Schuster, documents have been uncovered that in the end, their lawyer Marc Toberoff would have gotten a little less than 50% of the rights while the Siegels and Schuster Estate divide the rest for themselves. Toberoff is also a Hollywood producer who has worked on other films that he has "reclaimed" for the creators/heirs like My Favorite Martian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"