Aquaman's Critical Reception Thread (Rotten Tomato and Metacritic)

If it drops to Rotten will RT have to change its consensus summary?

Wait are you guys serious? It fell that much in just one day? SMDH at these critics, man. They complained DC was too dark and no fun like Marvel and they deliver easily the most fun, feel good and crowd pleasing movie in ages and they huff and puff and fold their arms. Whatever, man.
Again... this is expected... this isn't a movie that's critic-proof. This movie is a true crowd pleaser... so any elements that bothered critics would fall under being nitpicky.

I am certain that both WW84 & Shazam!, if good, does change critical outlook of the DC as a whole... and in turn brings WB/DC back into their good graces.

Probably too latee to be rotten, but by chance it isn’t, it would be the biggest fall I’ve seen in these kind of movies after over a hundred reviews.

Saw the movie last night, weren’t many people in my theatre either. Max 35 maybe? Anyways, I didn’t hate it but it definitely had its share of flaws. I don’t think it deserves a rotten score, I’d rate it borderline. I can definitely see why it didn’t hold its high 70’s number. I think it’ll finish around 62-65% once the dust settles.

Saw the movie last night, weren’t many people in my theatre either. Max 35 maybe? Anyways, I didn’t hate it but it definitely had its share of flaws. I don’t think it deserves a rotten score, I’d rate it borderline. I can definitely see why it didn’t hold its high 70’s number. I think it’ll finish around 62-65% once the dust settles.

I’m sure the movie is fine, and I’m no slave to RT, but I might spend my coin on Bumblebee this weekend. Moreso from hearing great things about that movie rather than anything bad from Aquaman. I’ll see Aquabro before it leaves though.

With the track record of the DCEU, landing a percentage in the 60's is a victory.

Reactions: JOE
With the track record of the DCEU, landing a percentage in the 60's is a victory.

I agree. Hopefully it stays there. Definitely killing my interest though. I have tended to agree with critics on DC films since The Dark Knight, so of course I’m gonna let this effect my desire in when to see it. I’m in the camp that Wonder Woman is the only good DC film made in ten years. I don’t have unconditional passion for this brand any more.

LOL at critics

*trash Aquaman* *audience go in with lower expectations* *86% audience score and tremendous box office*
*praise Poppins like it's the greatest thing ever**audience expects the greatest thing ever**umbrella broken and run over*

LOL at critics

*trash Aquaman* *audience go in with lower expectations* *86% audience score and tremendous box office*
*praise Poppins like it's the greatest thing ever**audience expects the greatest thing ever**umbrella broken and run over*

Mary Poppins didn't get love from the critics. It's currently at 77%.
The audience score is ridiculously unreliable because there is some weird campaign to trash the movie.

People were that bothered by the plot of the movie? Hm. I feel like it wasnt any different than your standard hero's quest type thing that we've seen before. But this movie had such a sweet exciting payoff/climax to it that I feel we HAVENT seen before.

One of my friends said he was disappointed and ranks it pretty low on the DC films list. He said he found it super cheesy. He said the whole theater was laughing at the movie.

I mean, I'm gonna try and check it out again this week in IMAX, I saw it with the Prime showing. My crowd clapped and seemed to dig it. I guess I was with the fanboys though.

I just don't see how you watch this and not have a good time. But ah well.

The thing with RT is that they have so many "critics" now it's getting increasingly hard to predict where the Tomatometer will finish.

The rule of thumb used to be after 60-65 reviews, the score would more or less stay the same. That isn't the same now.

63%. Not too concerned, this film seems to bounce up a percentage after going down one of two. With 250 reviews, math will probably (hopefully) level out the 50/50 split to a 60-64% final tally.

Didn’t realise it had kept dropping.

It would need four straight rotten to get to 62%. It has enough momentum to get a 50/50ish split the rest of the way. No more going under a point for one or two bad reviews in a row. Gonna take 4-6 in a row, for example. 62%-64% seems like a lock, but this tomatometer race has been unusual to say the least.

Left the theatre regretting not watching Bumblebee instead. Definitely won’t be watching it again, yet I’ve had that reaction with most if not all of the DCeU films.

Momoa I feel was a miscast. I know he has his followers and people who think he is amazing for the role and I can see certain areas why he’s likeable. I just think they could have done a lot more for the character of Aquaman and not “Aquabro.”

Didn’t realise it had kept dropping.

Same. Thought it was in the 70s. When I went to check today and saw how far it dropped, definitely dampened my interest. I expected it to be dumb fun but in a good way as that’s what initial reviews had said. I’ll have to read the new ones just to get some nuance.

It sucks to be DC. People are way too harsh on it:

Especially when you have critics saying this crap:

Had this movie arrived as recently as two years ago, it might have been heralded as a higher-end superhero movie. Things have changed, however, in both the DCEU and the MCU.

Lmao, I bet! Stick it up your ash dude.

Jeez, I hope this doesn't end as a rotten. This is not a great film but is tremendous fun. It's a popcorn flick through and through. It's big, loud fun and is just gorgeous to look at.

Momoa I feel was a miscast. I know he has his followers and people who think he is amazing for the role and I can see certain areas why he’s likeable. I just think they could have done a lot more for the character of Aquaman and not “Aquabro.”

As someone who felt the same way, Momoa absolutely killed it in this movie just like Gal did IMO. His version works for what the plot asked of him in this movie. It'd be the sequel where he is now King of Atlantis I'd be worried about.

I dig him as Aquaman. He has that 90's Aquaman vibe, which works for me.

And who ever quoted the Rotten Tomato Review about this being considered a good movie a few years ago... I saw that earlier and just laughed.

But I can't wait to see this again. Hopefully on an IMAX screen.

I agree. Hopefully it stays there. Definitely killing my interest though. I have tended to agree with critics on DC films since The Dark Knight, so of course I’m gonna let this effect my desire in when to see it. I’m in the camp that Wonder Woman is the only good DC film made in ten years. I don’t have unconditional passion for this brand any more.

Left the theatre regretting not watching Bumblebee instead. Definitely won’t be watching it again, yet I’ve had that reaction with most if not all of the DCeU films.

ok, tell me more marvel boys

giphy.gif

I hope it doesn't end up with a rotten rating. The film was average at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"