Aquaman's Critical Reception Thread (Rotten Tomato and Metacritic)

The reactions to this film have been...interesting to say the least. I gotta say the negative reviews actually gets me even more stoked to see this film!

This movie sounds like a dumb B-movie, really. I’m still game to see this film & judge for myself.

I wonder what the Cinemascore will be.

Low to mid 60’s now, huh? I’m glad people are seeing this and not placing all their trust in that dumb site. What a farce these critics are

Slap a certain logo right above the name of this movie and it probably has a critics score that’s at least 20% higher

As someone who felt the same way, Momoa absolutely killed it in this movie just like Gal did IMO. His version works for what the plot asked of him in this movie. It'd be the sequel where he is now King of Atlantis I'd be worried about.

Don’t worry. If most sequels are anything to go by he’ll lose the crown in the first 5 minutes. Remember comics are about the illusion of change.

Normally I don’t put too much emphasis into stuff like this these days, but I just look at similar films in the genre with the same critics score and I just say to myself “really?”

Honestly surprised this isn’t lower. Really disliked the film. Wouldn’t be shocked to see it “sink” below 60%. This belongs with the likes of Thor Dark World and Incredible Hulk. Completely mediocre. I understand people in here are fans but this movie is just a disservice to the DCEU which was already DOA. We need to stop accepting mediocrity as DC fans and push for better. I’m just not getting all the love for this but everybody is entitled to their opinion. Bring on Shazam!

A- Cinemascore, same as MOS, but below WW's A score

Mary Poppins got A- as well.

Last edited:
Honestly surprised this isn’t lower. Really disliked the film. Wouldn’t be shocked to see it “sink” below 60%. This belongs with the likes of Thor Dark World and Incredible Hulk. Completely mediocre. I understand people in here are fans but this movie is just a disservice to the DCEU which was already DOA. We need to stop accepting mediocrity as DC fans and push for better. I’m just not getting all the love for this but everybody is entitled to their opinion. Bring on Shazam!
well, thats is your opinion man, i loved the movie, and im a marvel guy as you see by my avatar, i think your opnion is mediocre too, but is my opinion

Yeah, for me AM&TW was the worst CBM this year. It's not a bad film, but it's just filler. It's a shame because I really love the cast, but Marvel is not doing anything great with the material.

I know it's the title of the thread, but can't get too bogged down in the critical reception or its score. I don't see WB being as reactive to audience perception or becoming so obsessed because being reactive that way is what got us Justice League in its present form. 60s or not, folks are clearly having a great time with this, even is U.S. critics seem to be casting the film back out to sea.

I had to throw at least one water pun in there.

Yeah, me to. AT&TW was by far the dullest and uuinteresting CBM of the year. Honestly, I've stopped looking at RT to determine the quality of movies I may like two years ago. I mean, this year alone, both Venom and in particular Bohemian Rhapsody were far better movies then that aggregator suggested, while I found Black Panther to be completely average at best.

ok, tell me more marvel boys

giphy.gif
Classic reaction to anyone criticizing a DC movie. You will never know peace.

I'm not gonna turn this into Marvel v DC, but I do genuinely believe the critics judged this one overly harshly for some reason. This was essentially the movie everyone complained for ages Man of Steel wasnt: fun, exciting, epic, feel good adventure.

Last edited:
Because we get a new CBM every few months now and have gotten some really good ones lately, I think critics have become even more um, critical, if a new one doesn’t try something fresh or innovative with it. I’m not saying this movie doesn’t as I heard the third act was bonkers, but even from the trailers you can tell the story itself is fairly derivative.

Because we get a new CBM every few months now and have gotten some really good ones lately, I think critics have become even more um, critical, if a new one doesn’t try something fresh or innovative with it. I’m not saying this movie doesn’t as I heard the third act was bonkers, but even from the trailers you can tell the story itself is fairly derivative.

Marvel films are basically the same formula and they all get good/great reting so I don't think your post makes sense

Its all about execution. Movies these days are all deriviative from something. John Wick is the same old "badass assassin gets revenge because insert loved one here was killed" formula that we've seen a million times in movies since the 70s but Keanu's charisma and badass directing style has made people love that franchise. Wan made an 80's adventure film and put a very visually appealing stylstic twist on it. Plus, come on, some the action sequences is just stuff we have never seen before on film.

The scale of it alone was unprecedented in CBM. I think the last time there was something so grand was LOTR movies and Avatar

IW was basically people running around on a field lol

The scale of it alone was unprecedented in CBM. I think the last time there was something so grand was LOTR movies and Avatar

IW was basically people running around on a field lol
In that case Aquaman was just a load of mucking about underwater and LotR was just a big fuss about a ring. :D

Apparently, critics are still cautious when it comes the DCEU.

I find that to be the wrong impulse. If they didn't like the movie, it's fine, but being cautious with praise or overly critical is mistake. I mean, if you really like one entry and all the other ones are s**t, your opinion of the one you like should still be based only on that one movie. Just because the DCEU isn't working out as a whole, I'm not gonna be less excited or satisfied about Aquaman. Just like I can say that even though I'm hella impressed with Marvel, I find half of their entries to be lackluster at best - in particular I still fail to see what it was so epic about Black Panther besides it having an all black cast.

BP is a terrifically paced movie. The need to put so much exposition in Aquaman slowed it down a bit, but it was necessary to set up the universe. BP was coming out of Civil War and Ultron having some things there already established, we all know Snyder didn't establish anything in previous films to the point that Arthur only now learns Mera's name and visits Atlantis for the first time, hell they even had to retcon Mera giving him the Quindent here

I give origin/first movies a pass on on too much exposition, as long as it's presented well and not repetitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"