Are there some villains who just don't work on the Silver screen?

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
Are there some villains who just don't work on the Silver screen? Would it be possible make a Daredevil movie featuring Stilt-Man or a Fantastic Four movie featuring Trapster?

Sentinels, at least not if they're giant pink robots. Galactus has a similar problem...

Some of Batman's more colorful villains would seem rather silly.

Nothing you can't redesign though.

Ive never been able to picture MODOK in a film. And i guess Galactus would be hard, but doable.

With the exception of really ridiculous guys like the hypno hustler.....no I don't think so. Just about any problem can be overcome, provided that they're willing to put the time & thought into it.

imo it all depends on how the tone of the film has set them up. Can poison Ivy, Clayface, killer croc, mr. freeze, man-bat, and the ventriloquist work on film? sure, can they work in Nolan's universe without an extremely major retooling to the point where they hardly resemble themselves? sure, but not the versions we know and love.

nearly all villains will work if re-tooled to fit the tone of the movie. Did venom and sandman need retooled for spider-man? hell no, but sandman's powers worked (something we'd never see in a nolan film)

There are some huge villains however that would be very difficult to do right with or without retooling in the current tone of films (some have also already been done, but failed). Apocalypse, Kang, MODOK, Galactus, Blob, Mojo, Juggernaut, Rhino, Fing Fang Foom, Mandarin, etc...

Apocalypse i only see working in refrences... via sinister. (like he's doing DNA research on the body of the first known mutant, and he calls his project for creating his "horesmen" project apocalypse.)

Kangis hard to do without completely changing his appearance, and some how simplifying time travel. It 9 times out of 10 sucks when a movie does it because they usually create a conundrum and it just can spin out of control too easily.

MODOK would have to be completely changed, (or refrenced like i described apocalypse) unless a deadpool or shehulk film introduces a silly, less serious tone of film where he could be used

Galactusis very very tricky.. because if you change him, he sucks, but if you don't change him, the risk of him sucking is at like 98.9%, I think FF2 came close, but would have hit a better mark if they some how showed him (besides sillouette) inside the massive cloud. The cloud was essentially his machine from the comics to help drain the earth

Blob he looked horrible in XO:W... not sure how the hell to fix that.

MOJO no way, not in the current vibe of X-men films

Juggernaut see Blob

Rhino see Juggernaut

Fing Fang Foomnot with that name... if anything, i'd assume just easter egg nods of a green dragon in IM3 if Mandarin is placed

Mandarin
he's the most do-able on the list that i just made. Make him a kingpin of his 10 rings around the world.. he's also a buisness man in the black market. Have him mix technology with either (asgardian magic (norn stones?), or alien (from avengers) tech) to create his powers

MODOK - I see being like the floating creature from Big Trouble In Little China but able to talk and stuff

aep0g6.jpg

I think it really depends on the actor who's portraying the villain. Sometimes an actor can just blow you away with their ability to relate to the character in an easy and identifiable way, so that you really don't pay any attention to the design or presentation of the character. This is just my opinion, but I do believe with the right script and, of course, the right director, nearly any villain in the MU can be seen on the silver screen. And of course, good source material like a strong backstory really helps the villain portrayal in the film. Again, just my opinion.

I think any of them could be made to work, given the proper care and execution. Stilt Man may be a bit of a stretch and maybe the Trapster is more of a comic relief character, but they could still be done. They ALL do not have to carry the movie.

As far as Sentinels and Galactus goes - three Transformer movies have show us that those types of characters will work just fine.

I think any of them could be made to work, given the proper care and execution. Stilt Man may be a bit of a stretch and maybe the Trapster is more of a comic relief character, but they could still be done. They ALL do not have to carry the movie.

As far as Sentinels and Galactus goes - three Transformer movies have show us that those types of characters will work just fine.

Well the thing is how much time and work that should put into characters who didn't work very well in the comics. With something like Stilt-Man, it seems like it take a lot of time and effort to make a really goofy gimmick work, it would just be a drain on resources that would better spent on villains who are more interesting and easier to do. Bullseye, Typhoid Mary and even Purple Man are all interesting and just easier to do in terms of practical effects. How spend time and money trying to fix a bad concept when there are better concepts to use? Stilts and glue are really stupid gimmicks when it comes down to it, not nearly as interesting as super strength, electrical powers, ice powers, etc.

Plus villains just seem like rip offs of better villains, the Jester seems like an extremely poor man version of the Joker, but far less interesting. At least with Whiplash they changed everything about him, but whips seem like a far more menacing gimmick then stilts or glue. Also most D-list villains like those two do not have an interesting back story or personality. Really spending the time and money for a short scene with Stilt-Man where he only provides a comic relief role, seems like a waste of resources and wouldn't fit in with the rest of the movie where he is battling psychos like Bullseye.

Also where would Trapster fit into an FF movie? As just a joke at the beginning or part of the main plot? Would be part of the Frightful Four and they would be the villains. This why I always thought the Frightful four were a weak concept in the comics, they just don't seem like they are in the FF's league and the writers have to make the FF idiots for them to be a threat. Wizard is not in Reed's league intellectually, Trapster should not pose a psychical threat to any member of the FF. So already two members are vastly inferior to the heroes they are supposed to menacing, not very dramatic. Plus Wizard and Trapster both have one dimensional cliched personalties and pretty stupid motives.

Last edited:
So you change the Wizard to make him Reed's equal, or nearly so - even someone with a fraction of Reed's intellect could be dangerous if they used their smarts for evil, etc. In the current FF comics, Reed has pooled the talents of Doom, the Wizard, the Thinker, etc. to help him work on some problems, so clearly these guys are no dummies.

If you shift the focus from paste to "traps" then Trapster can be made to be more of a threat, too. Maybe he's just some extra muscle, or a diversion for the Wizard so he can accomplish his main goal.

I would love to see a scene in a Spidey or FF movie where you see a montage of the hero [or heroes] taking out some lesser villains - not necessarily "lesser" in the sense that they are "lame" but ones that may not have enough pizazz to carry an entire movie. In IM2 we are told that Tony privatized world peace, but we were never shown any of it - a few minutes of that happening would not have been a bad thing.

any villain can work on screen, all depends on the execution. some times you get some bs, sometimes you get gold.

Galactus and Modok.

Juggernaut, Blob and Apocalypse can work with good design and hello they are not that super big compare to the Transformers robots.

Every villain can work, it just depends on the direction, design and actor,
but, well this
Modok.PNG

Would be difficult to take seriously

If Stan Winston were still around, he would have given us an incredible MODOK! Alas we can only dream...

MODOK could look amazing on film!

How would MODOK look amazing and not look fake on screen?

So you change the Wizard to make him Reed's equal, or nearly so - even someone with a fraction of Reed's intellect could be dangerous if they used their smarts for evil, etc. In the current FF comics, Reed has pooled the talents of Doom, the Wizard, the Thinker, etc. to help him work on some problems, so clearly these guys are no dummies.

Except Doom has expressed more contempt for Wizard on more occasions and no one in the Marvel Universe considers Wizard in the same league . Wizard might have some good technological skills, but he comes off as a total idiot when it comes to tactics and strategy. Johnny and Susan Storm easily tricked him in his appearances, making him look like a fool. If Johnny Storm can outsmart him, how is he a threat to Reed?

Also doesn't Reed's title of "world's smartest man" become kinda irrelevant if every C-list evil genius like the Wizard is in his league, Reed and Doom should be in a league of their own, with someone like that the Mad thinker being an intellectual threat because his mind works like a super computer, with no creativity, but superior analyzing and processing skills. Wizard just doesn't bring anything to table that Doom doesn't do a million times better, at least Mad thinker his inability to come with ideas of his own, but being able to improve other people's ideas and being able to predict anything except human behavior. Also being a fraction as intelligent as Reed Richards means nothing when you place him against Reed Richards, he is still out of his league. Kingpin is a strong guy, but he is not a physical threat to the Hulk, so Wizard being a fraction as intelligent as Reed means nothing when he tries to match wits with him.

Also Wizard is just a poorly written, nothing about his motives makes him scary or sympathetic or compelling, they just come off as pathetic, he comes as a whiny loser and obnoxious jerk, more annoying then truly menacing. I gotta give points to Hickman for making Wizard a little more menacing now that he had a mental break down, but Wizard still in't quite there yet, because he hasn't pulled something really sinister with this outlook and they haven't explained much of it, heck some comics have ignored it, so it be hard to adapt without knowing why he suffered a mental break down and better exploring his motives. Menace doesn't come power or intelligence it comes from attitude, Wizard just seems like a fop. Bullseye is not as intelligent then the Wizard, but he is more scary and menacing.

If you shift the focus from paste to "traps" then Trapster can be made to be more of a threat, too. Maybe he's just some extra muscle, or a diversion for the Wizard so he can accomplish his main goal.

How are Trapster's traps supposed to stump the smartest man in the world or defeat people powerful enough to challenge to gods? If Trapster applied himself, he may be to become a significant street level characters like Daredevil , maybe Spidey, but the FF, I don't buy that for a second.

That's the problem, the frightful Four are supposed to be the dark counter part to the FF, but one member is not Reed's intellectual league and another member is a D-list street level villain, I have a hard time believing these goobers could pose a threat to a team that defeats Galactus and Doom. At least the Ultimate Frightful Four is believably menacing.

If Trapster is just a distraction with no powers and Wizard is a C-list evil genius with no powers, how are the frightful Four supposed to be a threat to the FF, 4 cosmic powered heroes? The Frightful Four are outgunned from the start, that's not very dramatic.

I would love to see a scene in a Spidey or FF movie where you see a montage of the hero [or heroes] taking out some lesser villains - not necessarily "lesser" in the sense that they are "lame" but ones that may not have enough pizazz to carry an entire movie. In IM2 we are told that Tony privatized world peace, but we were never shown any of it - a few minutes of that happening would not have been a bad thing.

That sounds like it cost a lot of money and not have any real effect on the plot, making it pointless.

Last edited:
All the Indiana Jones movies and most of the James Bond movies have opened with a teaser sequence that sets up who the hero is, etc., but usually has nothing to do with the story at hand. Ideally, this is all I am suggesting - the movie starts with the conclusion of an adventure - thus you open with a bang. If the above movies did not think it was pointless, then it would not be in a Marvel movie, either.

But hey, I get it, you don't like the Wizard [or the evil FF] - fine. You keep pointing out how he's not written a certain way in the comics - so that's what you change - just like they changed Whiplash, etc. Bond did not fight the same villain in every movie, so why should the FF - it just makes their world unnecessarily smaller than it is.

Again, the Wizard has been included in the recent issues of FF for a reason, give it a chance. Maybe he is a fraction of Reed's intellect, but maybe it's a BIG fraction. All your "negatives" can easily be erased with very little effort from a decent screen writer.

The Trapster's traps can be enhanced to a lever that they can pose a threat with little or no effort. Doom has used gimmicks in his armor that have nearly bested the FF, why is it unthinkable that the Wizard has outfitted the Trapster with similar gizmos? Instead of trying to see the endless possibilities of these characters, you have already made up you mind that they suck and are not willing to give them any chance or thought. Glad you are not running the show at Marvel.

MODOK could look good on screen the same way any countless number of special effects characters have looked on screen since the original King Kong or Frankenstein Monster. You hire creative effects artists and let them create! All you need is an imagination.

I think even the greatest fx artists in the world would balk if Marvel gave them MODOK and said, "Here, try to make this guy look cool and scary."

MODOK has always been the biggest joke in the Marvel Universe; that's why he's the chief villain in the kiddie cartoon Marvel Super Heroes.

Might as well dig up Paste-Pot Pete, Stilt-Man, Leap Frog, The Spot, Egghead and Hypno-Hustler.
Oh, and try not to forget Angar the Screamer.

All the Indiana Jones movies and most of the James Bond movies have opened with a teaser sequence that sets up who the hero is, etc., but usually has nothing to do with the story at hand. Ideally, this is all I am suggesting - the movie starts with the conclusion of an adventure - thus you open with a bang. If the above movies did not think it was pointless, then it would not be in a Marvel movie, either.

Except those teasers were more practical and cost effective then a teaser with some B-list super villain who cost a lot in terms of special effects, someone like Shocker would cost a fair amount money.

But hey, I get it, you don't like the Wizard [or the evil FF] - fine. You keep pointing out how he's not written a certain way in the comics - so that's what you change - just like they changed Whiplash, etc. Bond did not fight the same villain in every movie, so why should the FF - it just makes their world unnecessarily smaller than it is.

I might like Wizard better if he wasn't poorly written from day one and if we learned more real details about him, like why he suffered a mental break down. If you aren't going to give a villain much of personality beyond "Mwa. ha, ha! I will use my Frightful Four to defeat the Fantastic Four," there is almost no reason to care about him.

There are just characters who are far more interesting then Frightful Four who a collection of dull and goofy villains with one note personalities and no depth. They aren't very menacing or interesting, its why the Ultimate Frightful Four were a better super villain group then their 616 counter parts, even though they wouldn't work on screen very well either.

Having the FF fight Street level villains like Trapster, doesn't seem very epic for a movie. I would rather they go to Negative Zone then fight some guy with a glue gun. The FF are supposed to be cosmic explorers, having them fight a collection of street level villains is pretty underwhelming.

Again, the Wizard has been included in the recent issues of FF for a reason, give it a chance. Maybe he is a fraction of Reed's intellect, but maybe it's a BIG fraction. All your "negatives" can easily be erased with very little effort from a decent screen writer.

Expect a fraction is just fraction, if someone had a fraction of the Hulk's strength, they wouldn't pose much of a threat to him. A fraction is supposed to be very small.

Except we don't know where Hickman is going with this direction with the Wizard, so it is far too early to say its a good one. Heck, we still don't know why Wizard had a mental break down, questions like that needed to be answered before we say they will work on screen. Plus if Wizard is so smart, why did Susan and Johnny make a fool out of him in his first appearance?

The Trapster's traps can be enhanced to a lever that they can pose a threat with little or no effort. Doom has used gimmicks in his armor that have nearly bested the FF, why is it unthinkable that the Wizard has outfitted the Trapster with similar gizmos? Instead of trying to see the endless possibilities of these characters, you have already made up you mind that they suck and are not willing to give them any chance or thought. Glad you are not running the show at Marvel.

Because having every Tom ,Dick and Harry be equal to Reed Richards in terms of intelligence makes Reed less unique. Reed and Doom are supposed to be the smartest men in the world and having Wizard and Trapster stump Reed makes title almost irrelevant.

Also in the comic Wizard is just a poor man's Doom, so why use him at all, he has almost the same motive as Doom, except its less developed and less interesting. Doom's back story makes him character you can understand, you kinda see why Dom hated Richards, Wizard's motives just shallow, its not much better then Wizard waking up one morning and deciding he was to be an FF villain for no real reason.

Keep in mind movie Whiplash was so different from 616 Whiplash that he was almost Whiplash in name only, but in a good way. It seems like that's what you have to do wizard to make him work on screen, change a ton of stuff, because the cannon stuff with him kinda sucks, until recently and the recent stuff is not well explained yet.

I mean you think of anyway to make Wizard into something besides a poor man's Dr. Doom, because that's what he has been in the comics for decades.

MODOK could look good on screen the same way any countless number of special effects characters have looked on screen since the original King Kong or Frankenstein Monster. You hire creative effects artists and let them create! All you need is an imagination.

Frankenstein was still humanoid, how many successful alive action Cephalothorax characters have there been?

Last edited:
Any villain who I don't think would work on screen is probably one I don't much care for in comics.

Take two villains from Dune(fat floating guy and the giant creature in the vase) and you have Modok.

Sentinels, at least not if they're giant pink robots. Galactus has a similar problem...

Some of Batman's more colorful villains would seem rather silly.

Nothing you can't redesign though.

are you trying to tell me after watching thee transformers movies that big giant robots do not work as antagonists???/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"