Are You Late to The Party?

James

Built from Lego
Reaction score
Looking at the Seinfeld sequence that dark_b posted over in the lolpics! thread I got to thinking, what are some things you've been absolutely 'late to the party' on?

Seinfeld is a big one for me, I'd never even watched a full episode until the last year or two and I've got a long, long way to go before I've seen every episode. I still don't know what a 'soup nazi' is. In my house growing up my father hated Seinfeld, so it was never on. These day I catch the reruns on TV and enjoy them immensely.

To a lesser extent I'll also add Adventure Time. It came out in 2010 and I've only just sat through the first four seasons recently, loving every second of it.

I'm sure there's plenty more, but how about everyone else, what's completely slipped under your radar that you now enjoy?

Last edited:
I was thinking about this recently as well.

I am EXTREMELY late to the party on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Back around when it first started, I kept catching the same episode and for some reason the show just came off as too crude and gross for my tastes. People tried to convince me otherwise but then I began associating the show with somebody I hated and I didn't try giving it another chance until about 6 months ago. Now I freakin' love the show.

I got into 30 Rock late as well. Sometime during the 5th season I believe. Not sure why it took me so long, I guess I just didn't watch much NBC at the time. Now I consider it to be one of my all time favorite comedy shows. Same goes for Community. My mom actually tried to convince me I would love the show but I just kept missing it. Finally she recorded a few episodes and made me watch when I visited.

• Star Trek. I didn't get into it until like 2006. I just randomly started watching a TNG marathon one day when I was sick and I was hooked ever since.
  • Twin Peaks. I watched the entire series for the first time last year and now it's one of my absolute favorite things ever.
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I started watching it maybe a month ago, and it really seems to be genuinely awesome. I wish I would have watched it from the beginning.

I didn't watch all the Harry Potter movies until I had a marathon before seeing Half-Blood Prince. Still haven't read the books.

Didn't start watching Game of Thrones until right before season 2 started, and I had a marathon of the awesome first season like I did with HP. Probably will never get around to reading the books they're based on because they are like a thousand ****ing pages long each.

Didn't see Arrested Development until long after it was canceled. Still haven't caught up all the way on Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Community, or The Walking Dead, which probably makes me a lesser human to some people.

In fact...now that I think about it...there are almost no TV shows I didn't begin to watch until at least a whole season of it had passed.

Anyone who joined SHH after like 2006-2007?

I only saw The Godfather (and Part II) a couple of months ago. Long story short, yes, the first one is the best movie of all time. Still haven't seen the third one.

I've only seen one episode of Breaking Bad.

I only saw The Godfather (and Part II) a couple of months ago. Long story short, yes, the first one is the best movie of all time. Still haven't seen the third one.

Don't hurry. The third one is tedious and meandering. The plot wastes what would otherwise be a clever idea. And the imagery is hamhanded and unsubtle, far more so than the previous two movies.

I usually find out what the latest internet fad is right as it's dying out. Case in point gangnam style. Though surprisingly I was only a few days behind on the Harlem Shake thing.

For TV shows, I got into 30 Rock waaaayy too late. I had watched a few episodes here and there and didn't really think it was my cup of tea. Then I started Netflixing it and halfway through the 3rd season it had become one of my favorite shows of all time.

As for literal interpretations, I hate being late. Even to things I don't want to go to.

I was late to the party on the whole iPhone/iPod thing. I used a discman and bought CDs up until a year ago. And I used a crappy Nokia phone. I'm very resistant to new technology. Now I use an iPhone and like it (too much).

As far as shows, I've gotten into some shows only after they ended (like The Wire and Rome).

I was also late to the party on Adventure Time, and Erikson's Malazan book series. Ah well, at least that means I can read the series straight through (all 10 books) without any lengthy gaps between novels due to the author.

I'm waiting until the Game of Thrones book series (at this rate it looks like 2030) is done before I read it. But I'm still watching the show.

Breaking Bad. I got season one for my birthday. I watched the entire season in one sitting. Today I went out to the mall and picked up the rest of the series, currently working my way through season 2. It really is addicting!

The Walking Dead. I actually have some of the first issues , but stopped collecting comics for a long period of time. However I didn't start watching the show until this past November. I'm kind of glad though because I didn't have to suffer any long wait between seasons.

I still haven't seen an episode of Breaking Bad , Game of Thrones , Arrow , or The Following , but I want to catch up on those eventually.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I only got into it last year after I found out Joss Whedon was going to direct the Avengers.

I didn't see the Lord of the Rings films until a few years after they came out. I was a tad young when they were first released.

There's probably more, but those are the two I can thin of off the top of my head.

I wish I'd seen Lord of the Rings in the theater.

I just recently got into The Walking Dead (the show).

Supernatural.

Finally got around to watching it this year and have been trying to catch up.

I just started Boardwalk Empire, only two episodes in.

I didn't get into Adventure Time until the third season finale and fourth season premier.

I just started watch Arrested Development this week for the first time.

I didn't really start watching Fringe until the third season (I watched several episodes off and on, but wasn't really into it).

Didn't really start watching BSG until it was about to end.

I was probably one of the few people who TRIED to watch Firefly when it first premiered but somehow only managed to watch like five episodes. Recently went back and watched the entire thing on Netflix.

I'm often late by design. I find it more enjoyable to consume shows in large doses (trade paperback form, if I may draw a parallel) than endure the week-to-week wait as I'm currently doing with Big Bang Theory, Walking Dead, and Green Lantern.

Don't hurry. The third one is tedious and meandering. The plot wastes what would otherwise be a clever idea. And the imagery is hamhanded and unsubtle, far more so than the previous two movies.

Oh, I know. I watched the first two because I'd heard how great they were... didn't get the third one because it's been as lampooned ans Batman & Robin by popculture. I kind of want to see it out of morbid curiosity.

I'm often late by design. I find it more enjoyable to consume shows in large doses (trade paperback form, if I may draw a parallel) than endure the week-to-week wait as I'm currently doing with Big Bang Theory, Walking Dead, and Green Lantern.

I'm like that with comics. But I rarely watch tv shows, in spite of what great things I hear about them. Partly because of what you said, and... it's just such a big time commitment. Much prefer movies, but will probably give some of the 'big deal' shows a shot at some point (Breaking Bad).

This is a good point. I don't tend to do it on purpose, but with so many different shows (and comics) coming out all the time, plenty fall by the wayside. It can be a lot more rewarding to watch a show in large chunks, without ads.

The other great benefit of this is that if a show has finished you can get some idea of whether the ending is going to be worth your time. Why bother with a show if you know it got cancelled and has no real ending, or it did have an ending but it's been universally panned?

Seinfeld. I didn't start watching it until 2004. The Kingdom Hearts series. Didn't play any of them until 2007.

^ I didn't start watching Seinfeld until this year :D

Also, Sons of Anarchy/Breaking Bad/Star Trek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"