First Avenger Arnim Zola has been cast

Chewy

REDACTED
Reaction score
Toby Jones, the British actor best known for playing real-life characters such as Truman Capote in “Infamous,” will play in his first comic book movie with Marvel Studios’ “Captain America."

Jones is in final negotiations to portray a villainous scientist named Arnim Zola in the production, which already has Hugo Weaving as another bad guy, the Red Skull. The movie shoots this summer in England.

In comics lore, Zola was a genetic engineer who created clones and various monstrosities for Hitler. He also captured his own mental self, inserting it into a robot, and survived the war.

Joe Johnston is directing the World War II-set movie, which sees Chris Evans as the famed superhero. Sebastian Stan is playing sidekick Bucky Barnes, while Hayley Atwell is the hero’s love interest, Peggy Carter.

Jones also is known Stateside for playing Swifty Lazar in “Frost/Nixon” and Karl Rove in Oliver Stone’s “W.” He also does voice work for the “Harry Potter” movies, playing Dobby the House Elf, and will soon shoot "The Rite" with Anthony Hopkins.

Jones, repped by UTA, will next be seen in Universal's comedy "Your Highness" with James Franco and Natalie Portman.
SOURCE

Cool. I imagine he wont looks like his comic book counterpart.. cause that would be a little weird.

well yea i bet he will probably be just regular human looking. but maybe they will make a nod to his robotic self so they can leave it he survives into present day like he does in the comics.

TobyJonesPic.jpg

haha he'd be perfect for Zola. I assume he will start off as just some normal scientist. Then maybe one of his experiments goes wrong and it messes him up in some way.

But yea i doubt he'll look exactly like he does in the comics, that would just be, well, too out there to say the least.

Ha, great choice--and that Zola is in the film is pretty cool, too. I hope he does look like the comics; that sort of old-school mad science is a part of what make's Captain America great. Obviously they'd want to take a more sophisticated and serious approach, but there's no reason Zola can't work as a gruesome product of mad science.

Now you're talkin'!

I hope we get at least a hint of the comic version. If Johann can work in HB2, this guy can work in a Cap movie!

Tobey Jones in a really good actor - I'm happy with this casting.

He's a good actor I am cool with this. I am wondering if maybe he is working on the ill-fated Red Skull SSS that deforms him.

if they go with deformed Red Skull

Hahaha, YES. Toby Jones is so perfect for Zola.

I'm so curious how this film will play out. We've got Zola, the Invaders/Howling Commandos...this is going to very interesting.

I wonder if Baron Zemo will be thrown into the mix.

Hahaha, YES. Toby Jones is so perfect for Zola.

I'm so curious how this film will play out. We've got Zola, the Invaders/Howling Commandos...this is going to very interesting.

I wonder if Baron Zemo will be thrown into the mix.

i was starting to worry since we were hearing so much about the heroes side and nothing on the villain side save for Red Skull....

This is cool news. I hope we get Baron Zemo as well. As far as what Zola's look is concerned I think it can be done if thought out well. It doesn't have to be a literal translation. I think i've seen something similar to him done before but I can't remember where.

I am hoping for a literal translation...h has a unique look and would be a wate not to use it.....hopefully Baron Zemo is in this

Well I do want the face on a robots torso but I can do without the costume. That's what I meant.

I like this depiction

Attachments

• 309980300_c2488b5b94.jpg
    309980300_c2488b5b94.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 38
I know that some people want Zola in the suit to nod at the comics but honestly fromt a theatrical standpoint I think it would look pretty ridiculous. I think he can just play the mad deranged scientist part and be fine...maybe towards the end you see the machine in the corner of his lab or something but him actually in it I cant see happening.

Also someone pointed out that we dont know yet if we will have deformed red skull or not. Id like to know more about what people have heard on this.

there are plenty of regular mad scientists in theCap mythos to use...why use Zola if you arent going to use the android body???

Cap is going to be in costume, Red Skull is going to be in costume, the Invaders will be there....why not use the android version of him

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"