Arrested Development - Part 1

Light drizzle will annoy you, but thunder will eff you up!!!

The only thing I don't get is, why did they film scenes that took place in the same episode of season 3 yet everyone obviously has aged so much? I like when it takes place years later but that post Queen Mary meeting was not a good idea. It feels like a retcon because it would appear Michael and George Michael were escaping the family at the end of season 3. Finally. For real. Why not just have season 4 take place years later without the flashback? Why not say they DID get away, at least for a vacation or something.
Unless the joke was that they HAVE aged and that is the point of it? Or did they really think we wouldn't notice Lindsay and George-Michael's obvious ageness?

I loved the Michael, GOB, Lucille, Tobias, Maeby and George-Michael episodes. Especially the GOB, Maeby and George-Michael's. I was worried about George Michael until his first episode and I found myself loving it more than the others. Great idea to parody Social Network/Jesse Eisenberg's resemblance to Michael Cera.

Last edited:
The whole "Andy Richter and his Multiple Twins" gag got annoying after a while.

Holy ****, I am 5 minutes into Gob 2 and I am already cracking up!

Gob: And thanks a lot for the birthday cards I haven't got for the last 40 years!!!!

Narrator: [blackout]This was particularly hard for Steve to hear on his birthday.[/blackout]

Gob: You're starting to sound a lot like my wife, which means I'll **** you and you'll never see me again!

On the one hand, it's nice to see Steve Holt got his **** together and owns a successful company. On the other.... LOOK AT HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought that scene was so hilarious because I was kinda with Gob there.

My favorites by far are the Gob episodes. Crazy how well everything has been tying together.

Maeby appeared to be a more convincing foreign man, than tobias a foreign woman

I'd be curious to see if the episodes were shot before or after The Office finale due to appearances from Ed Helms, John Krasinski and Andy Buckley.

I got to say I completely disagree with any critic that gave this season any sort of negative review. Sure, some episodes aren't as amazing as others, but it almost seems they're going out of their way to put down the show due to the overwhelming hype and expectation built up for a new season over the last seven years

I agree with the criticism that the show needs a B-plot and C-plot as certain characters like Maeby, Lindsay and even George Sr. aren't really strong enough to carry their own episodes, but the writers were clever enough to tie in other characters, so it works. On a whole, it is amazing how high quality this is. The creative team just jumps back in without skipping a beat.

George Michael's episode has been a pleasant surprise. I don't care for Michael Cera so I didn't expect much but it is pretty funny. I love that GM didn't know who Lucielle 2 is. The family singing happy birthday at his graduation party. "But for the phrase 'as I live and breathe,' he nailed it." :lmao: It is gold.

I agree with the criticism that the show needs a B-plot and C-plot as certain characters like Maeby, Lindsay and even George Sr. aren't really strong enough to carry their own episodes, but the writers were clever enough to tie in other characters, so it works. On a whole, it is amazing how high quality this is. The creative team just jumps back in without skipping a beat.

George Michael's episode has been a pleasant surprise. I don't care for Michael Cera so I didn't expect much but it is pretty funny. I love that GM didn't know who Lucielle 2 is. The family singing happy birthday at his graduation party. "But for the phrase 'as I live and breathe,' he nailed it." :lmao: It is gold.
Wow, totally didnt pick up on that :O, reminds me of "And the family continued chanting speech for no one in particular"

Oh man, I cannot say that I love the ending. I really hope Hurwitz is confident that he can get the cast back again because that is a really weak place to end.

Too many loose ends. Instead of another George Michael episode there should've been a whole cast episode that ties everything together. I mean, for all we know, Maeby is in prison, Tobias was blown up and who knows what became of George Sr.. We needed one more closure episode.

None the less, the fact that it ended with so many loose ends makes me think that Hurwitz knows something that we don't.

I believe it was Bateman that said this season was the first act of a greater story and the 2nd and 3rd act would be a feature film. Whatever it ends up being, there needs to be more AD, without question.

I think a movie would be suicide at this point. If the film's plot would just be a continuation of this last season's, then you effectively alienate any audience who has never seen Arrested Development or isn't up-to-date on it. Give us a season 5, at the very least.

Do we know how well season 4 is performing right now in terms of views?

I think the movie is dead. As for views, Netflix never releases that kind of information, but they have already said they are on board for season 5 if the cast is.

I can't imagine they'd end the season this way without knowing (even if it's not official to the public yet) that at least another season or movie was in the works. Just too much left unsettled.

Oh man, I cannot say that I love the ending. I really hope Hurwitz is confident that he can get the cast back again because that is a really weak place to end.

Too many loose ends. Instead of another George Michael episode there should've been a whole cast episode that ties everything together. I mean, for all we know, Maeby is in prison, Tobias was blown up and who knows what became of George Sr.. We needed one more closure episode.

None the less, the fact that it ended with so many loose ends makes me think that Hurwitz knows something that we don't.

Wouldn't have ended that way if the future was unsure. Must have gotten the go-ahead for more.

I actually think the cast will be easier to get together this time around. Bateman confirmed on Letterman that the big delay was Arnett's scheduling but Up All Night has been cancelled. So now that none of the cast members are regulars on a TV show (with the exception of Hale but his is on HBO and is only an 8 episode commitment), the schedule should be easier. The cast does movies but a movie schedule is much more flexible than a network TV schedule with 21-24 episodes. Assuming this is successful, we could very well see season 5 and then some. And if the scheduling isn't an issue, it could go back to its episodic, ensemble format.

I think a movie would be suicide at this point. If the film's plot would just be a continuation of this last season's, then you effectively alienate any audience who has never seen Arrested Development or isn't up-to-date on it. Give us a season 5, at the very least.

Do we know how well season 4 is performing right now in terms of views?

One study showed that of all the Netflix accounts registered, 36% of them watched at least one of the new episodes Sunday. If that's at all accurate that is an amazing number

Arnett's show The Millers got picked up by CBS. But they can work around that and this would be 10-13 episodes tops.

I haven't been on the Hype in ages, but I just finished this and felt like sharing. My worthless two cents:

The biggest criticism I could find is also the most attractive aspect of the new series for me, and that is its format. The single character perspective is brilliant. Dissecting each episode/event through the different family members was a nice touch. I loved the continuity of the original series and this new format allowed that same continuity to creep back; the gags on top of gags with subtle references to previous episodes are definitely there. However, it's nice when the family is able to interact with each other as a group and that's hardly what we are given. It's not so much a compliant, I just wanted more... more? :huh: I mean, what the hell was with that ending? I felt like everything was so well thought out and tied together to lead to nothing. Anticlimactic is being nice. There had better be more!

I greatly enjoyed where they decided to take Michael and have him finally give up on the family. It's hilarious, dark and so Bluth.

If I have one major complaint about the season it is that they got every character in except one. Where the **** was [blackout]Franlkin[/blackout]!?!?

Arnett's show The Millers got picked up by CBS. But they can work around that and this would be 10-13 episodes tops.

Plus Jessica Walter's role on Archer. But that's voice over, so who knows how time consuming that actually is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"