Asian Cinema = yay

Anyone watched Azumi 2: Death or Love yet? It's been out on R2 DVD for a while, but I've been busy buying Batman and Star Wars DVDs and PS2 games, so it fell to the bottom of my list.

Holly Goodhead said:
l forgot about this thread. :up:

It's such a great thread the only proper response is, "Will you marry me?"

Holly Goodhead said:
l still havent seen 2046 :(

Join the club:( DAMN! I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly want to see this movie. It looks so amazing.

It was very good, I was lucky enough to see it in theatres. I think I enjoyed In the Mood for Love, more, but both were excellent.

Just rented 3 Extremes and Audition. I'll only get to watch them tomorrow though.

kritic said:
It was very good, I was lucky enough to see it in theatres. I think I enjoyed In the Mood for Love, more, but both were excellent.

In the Mood for Love is hands down one of the best films I've ever seen. Every shot is a work of art and in terms of editing the film is like a symphony. Plus the whole story is just brilliant. Wong Kar Wai is in my opinion one of, if not the best directors living and working today.

I'll just repost from my other thread

I own/have seen:

Battle Royale - Love it
Battle Royale 2 - ugh
Oldboy - very impressive
Casshern - confusing, but beautiful
Audition - I'm not a big horror fan, so this one really disappointed
Versus - Ok, would have enjoyed more if it wasn't made on a shoe-string budget
Volcano High School - ok
Princess Blade - Loathed it
Ichi the killer - still need to sit down and watch
Hero - loved it
CTHD - loved it
House of Flying Daggers - good, a little slow, and perhaps one twist too many
Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle - Steven Chow is god
Zatoichi (newest) - bit slow, but good

Ok, so based on those, what else would you guys recommend? I'm really not interested in any films by those guys who did Ringu and the Grudge, though. I'm certain somebody will recommend Ong-Bak, right?

The DVD for Oldboy was released by a company called Tartan Asian Extreme, and there's an insert with the dvd showing about 40 other movies the company is releasing. Alot of them look like they could be good, but they could also be crap, so opinions please

JSA
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Now, I've yet to see either of them, but they're both from Chan-Wook Park, the man behind Oldboy. I've heard great things about both films, though.

SfMV was I think the next one I was interested in, since Oldboy is still so fresh in my mind. But I've had sequels of good movies go bad on me before (BR2)

is it out on DVD?

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance isn't a sequel to Oldboy. There's also Sympathy for Lady Vengeance(not yet on DVD), which is also unrelated to the two. Once in a while, you'll hear the three films called the revenge trilogy or something; but they are, in fact, unrelated.

Check out Azn Films. They've got a great selection and pretty good prices.

I thought Sympathy was the prequel to Oldboy, and told the story of the white haired assistent?

Holly Goodhead said:
i test drive a car before i buy it.

I like to look at pictures of it on the internet, so......if you please.....;)

I have never seen it, I heard it was amazing, due to Tony Jaa, who does all his own stunts wire free

Elijya said:
opinions on Ong-Bak?

I didn't like it all that much. It's common for martial arts films to have simple plotlines, nothing I hold against them, that's just the name of the game. But in Ong-Bak's case, there just aren't enough interesting fighting/action sequences for sitting through the entire movie. There's like, one fight sequence in the middle of the movie, then a bunch of chase scenes. The very end of the movie is where the good stuff is at. The climax does feature some entertaining, brutal fight sequences. That much is undeniable, but once again it's nothing so fantastic that warrants sitting through the entire movie.

Elijya said:

The Returner - Japan 2003.

The year is 2084 and the human race is fighting an alien militia to save the last remnant of civilization. A young heroine named Milly (Suzuki) escapes the war and jumps back in time to present-day Japan in an attempt to change history and prevent the demise of her people. Milly's return lands her in the middle of a local crime war between Miyamoto (Kaneshiro), a street-smart gunman, and Mizoguchi (Ki****ani), Japan's crime leader. Milly must coerce Miyamoto to help chase down the first alien and save the human race... but first Milly must convince Miyamoto she's for real. In the visceral, dark, cold world of the streets, these two fight against the evil and ignorance that will destroy everything.

Its a fun, great looking but flat action film :up:

what you mean "flat"?

and why the **** did an airplane transform into a dragon?

Its probably an alien ship in disguise, makes sense to me

Mentok said:
The Returner - Japan 2003.

Its a fun, great looking but flat action film :up:

It's extremely entertaining and watchable though. And damn cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"