Comics Asm#552

kguillou: I've been a supporter of BND since day one but lately i'm really feeling disappointed with it. I enjoyed the first Slott and Mcniven arc but then after that it was eh, kinda pointless. The problem for me is that story and diaolgue seem too retro and outdated. The rest of the marvel books like IronMan, Cap, Ironfist, Daredevil, new avengers, they're all more grounded into reality and updated to modern times. BND feels like i'm reading stories from the 70's and 80's, it doesn't feel as modern as the rest of the marvel books out there. Thats what i loved about JMS, JMS was able to update Spidey and give it a more modern feel, both in terms of dialogue and story. But so far, i dunno the stories just seem very uninspired and "been there done that". Anyway, i'm still a supporter of BND and I DO appreciate the use of the new supporting cast ( does anyone else love Dexter Bennet?), but i think BND needs to kick it up a notch soon so it can keep up with marvel's other stellar books.

Yeh...see, i agree. It does feel been there, done-that. And then, like you say how you like the first "ARC"...that's the other problem...everyone pretty much starts comparing (here and other boards) what ARC they like best. It's distracting to say the least. At least when it was "12 issues and an annual" kinda of thing...you had consistency...kind of like Bags with Ultimate...he wasn't a big name or fav of mine at first...but he grew on me and then i really DID like his art a lot..and the CONSISTENCY brought A LOT to the comic book. You weren't comparing him to the "month before" or the "month after".

After reading my friends current copy...we both felt (he isn't a "Fan" per say of OMD/BND...but still collects/buys for his "run".) but..we both felt that Spidey is all about "THE MONTH" now. And this new style of 3X only MAGNIFIES and ACCENTUATES how choppy or "by the month" it is.

Spidey does feel "timeless and Scooby-Doo-ish" (tho i LOVED Scooby Doo growing up!!!) now as Joe wanted...but not in a good way to me personally.

After this current issue...we were talking about how...the "dialogue of the month" is not as good as "last month's" dialogue.

Then we didn't like the "art of the month" as well either compared to "last month". (-tho i personally typically like Phil a lot)

Even Freak, the "villian of the month" is not as interesting as Menace, the villian of "last month". (tho he wasn't awesome, but much better than this month's bad guy.)

So, inevitably...as i sit and think about my opinions, as well as read OTHER"S....it comes down to comparisons of "the month" now, now more than ever...

And as i have said before...as a person who loves to buy/read tpb's...i've always found it even MORE distracting (personally) to read collections with new artists here and there. (i think specifically of some of my old X-men tpb's where the crossovers had SO many artists every other issue....argh...)

So, besides the fact that i don't like the foundation for this new reboot, as of this month's current issue, my friend and I are beginning to talk about how "compartmentalized" Spidey is becoming now...which we don't see as a great thing. We find ourselves wondering about "next month's" team...villian...etc...

So, i am not in any way bashing anyone's opinions..just trying to share clearly in a nice way some of my thoughts after reading this issue.

ok...I didn't like it...first we've got the "Brand New Day" Kingpin: Mr Negative, but I liked it, it was a very good arc. Mr Negative was a real threat to Spider-Man and with his proximity with Aunt May, ***** could happen if he ever knew SPidey's true I.D

then came the "Brand New Day" Goblin: Menace. Ok maybe I didn't read it correctly but he seemed to me that he was only flying around and not doing much (and that Glider incident was nothing more than an accident for me) but well he could still be cool to know who he really is, I'll give him the benfit of the doubt...

and now comes the "Brand New Day" Venom ????? I mean: random (and ****ty) reason for hating Spider-Man, "creepy-looking" villain...I don't like where this is heading, and I had the impression I was reading one of those boring pre-OMD issues..wow..

Then again it's just my opinion, if you people did like it, then good for you guys :)

This issue was as pointless as the rest of BND has been. Crappy art, a boring story, and no Mary Jane. Just more of the same.

Glad I didn't spend my money on this. :)

Then don't read it at all. Blasting onto each thread and saying this doesn't make it cool, you know. I mean, you're not going to like it, regardless of what happens, so why continue reading it, free or not??

I quit reading it, because I realized I'm going to hate it, even if it's great, simply because I liked the marriage so much. Just put the issue down, and let the folk who enjoy it continue to enjoy it.

Damn.

...it doesn't feel as modern as the rest of the marvel books out there.....

Yeah, thank frigging god for that. Maybe that's why this is the only Marvel book I'm buying right now.

Aloha,
I told you, there are people LOOKING for things not to like.Whatever floats their boat!I'll get my copy Thursday.
Spidey rules

Hardly. It's my opinion, and it is simply not that great of writing. There's nothing particularly "Amazing" or "Spectacular" about BND whatsoever.

Don't know where you or anyone else gets that people are just looking for things not to like, just because you do like it.

And yet, you keep reading it. What's up with THAT?

I'll always read and/or keep tabs on whats going on with Spidey. I have been for almost 20 years now.

But just like when I first read Spidey, I have never, and will never pay for a horribly written story. And because of the nature of this "Brand New Day (ha!)" coming from a personal agenda instead, I won't support Marvel with my wallet.

I will continue to read it for free and WHEN Marvel fixes this mess, then i will gladly pay for the issues.

:yay:

Then don't read it at all. Blasting onto each thread and saying this doesn't make it cool, you know. I mean, you're not going to like it, regardless of what happens, so why continue reading it, free or not??

I quit reading it, because I realized I'm going to hate it, even if it's great, simply because I liked the marriage so much. Just put the issue down, and let the folk who enjoy it continue to enjoy it.

Damn.

I think I have the right to read whatever I want and express my opinion on it, just like everyone else. No need for people to be blasting me on my opinion, as I have not personally done that to anyone else.

Hardly. It's my opinion, and it is simply not that great of writing. There's nothing particularly "Amazing" or "Spectacular" about BND whatsoever.

Don't know where you or anyone else gets that people are just looking for things not to like, just because you do like it.

"And no Mary Jane."

So yeah, I have to agree that you are just looking for things not to like.

"And no Mary Jane."

Actually, that's very much a valid complaint.

For many, many years, MJ has been an integral part of the comic. The fact that she's been shuffled off into limbo like this is a big, big negative for fans of the character.

The best comparison I can think of offhand is the character of Daniel Jackson in Stargate SG-1. Particularly in Season 5, the character was horribly underused (especially since Jackson was one of the key characters of the Stargate movie). This ultimately led to problems with the actor and the killing of Jackson at the end of the season. For fans of the character (such as myself), Season 6 was nowhere as good as it could have been because of his absence throughout most of the season. Near the end of Season 6, Jackson was brought back and all was well again.

It's really much the same for fans of MJ now. Her absence leaves a glaring hole in the Spidey books, and Marvel has tried to fill it with a bunch of new characters. It's just not the same.

No need to be a *****ebag just because you disagree. :yay:

I'm not disagreeing with you... I could care less about your opinions on Spider-Man... they are no more valid than mine...

However, with every ASM review thread since BND, you have made an appearance with the same comments... to the point that they are tiring... you are still entitled to have said "same" opinions, just like I have every right to make comments on said "same" opinions, and just like you have every right to comment about my comments...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Having said that, there's no need for name calling.

So stop with the names or I'll tell your Mom. :cmad:

As for Bennet's crazy characterization, I have to say that Marvel probably HAS to make him the bad guy he was made out to be this last issue. If he continued on as first portrayed, it would really make it harder to bring back Jonah.

It doesn't excuse the mistakes, but I'm thinking Bennet shouldn't have been shown as much of a "good guy" as he was originally.

Anybody else think that Lily's dad might be connected to Menace? There seems to be a motive there with the political assinations. Just a thought because his daughter is dating an Osborn...

As for Bennet's crazy characterization, I have to say that Marvel probably HAS to make him the bad guy he was made out to be this last issue. If he continued on as first portrayed, it would really make it harder to bring back Jonah.

It doesn't excuse the mistakes, but I'm thinking Bennet shouldn't have been shown as much of a "good guy" as he was originally.

In what way is he a bad guy? He's just out of his depth; he doesn't know how to run a newspaper.

For many, many years, MJ has been an integral part of the comic. The fact that she's been shuffled off into limbo like this is a big, big negative for fans of the character.

The best comparison I can think of offhand is the character of Daniel Jackson in Stargate SG-1. Particularly in Season 5, the character was horribly underused (especially since Jackson was one of the key characters of the Stargate movie). This ultimately led to problems with the actor and the killing of Jackson at the end of the season. For fans of the character (such as myself), Season 6 was nowhere as good as it could have been because of his absence throughout most of the season. Near the end of Season 6, Jackson was brought back and all was well again.

It's really much the same for fans of MJ now. Her absence leaves a glaring hole in the Spidey books, and Marvel has tried to fill it with a bunch of new characters. It's just not the same.

I can't add much to that. You said it very well!

Anybody else think that Lily's dad might be connected to Menace? There seems to be a motive there with the political assinations. Just a thought because his daughter is dating an Osborn...

Once again, I think Lily is menace!

I can't add much to that. You said it very well!

Mary Jane has been absent from the books before... for example, she was pretty much a recurring character since her first appearance in ASM #42 to around #180, when she rejects Peter's first marriage proposal. The fact that there WAS a marriage proposal indicates just how important her character had become since Gwen death about 5 years prior (our time). Then she simply disappears for yet again 5 years (our time) around the mid ASM #240's, and then accepts Pete's second proposal in ASM #292 (about 4 years later, again our time). And in those 4 years, she and Peter were just close friends, as opposed to simply dating, and the marriage proposal came out of nowhere, but that's a different story.

The bottom line is that Mary Jane will make appearances in the book at some point, and it's no valid complaint that she isn't because I'm reading the Amazing Spider-Man, not the amazing Mary Jane. She is an intergral character in Peter's life and she will reappear soon enough. And like any supporting character that makes less appearances in the book, her current absence certainly does not leave a "glaring hole" in my eyes... because it's just a matter of time.

Then again, those are merely my two cents.

Then there's the clone years which existed to get her out of the picture. Then the reboot era where she "died" which lasted (save for like 2 issues with the stalker) through the first few years of JMS's run.

Also note that if you're a Spidey "Ditko and Lee purist", there was no MJ.

Aloha,
I said to myself I wasn't going to respond but here I am so here it goes.If you haven't already, you should check out Swing Shift The Directors Cut. Not the story but the back up story by Breevort. He gives his notes to the writers and artists regarding where he thinks Amazing Spider-Man should go from here on out. Now, I've checked out your link and understand where you are coming from. Here's my point. If you HATE OMD and the entire premise of it, then you are not going to like anything within BND. So when you go to the store and pick up any issues of Amazing Spider-Man, you have already made the decision before you open the first page that you are not going to like what you are reading.Therefore, you are looking for things not to like.We get it.OMD has come and gone. BND is here and even if Joe Q,Steve Wacker & Tom Breevort ALL left Marvel TODAY, BND would still be in place for the forseeable future. There is not going to be a reboot of the reboot.Life goes on-so should you.Drink some beers and move on.This is it.
Spidey rules

I read the book last night... I enjoyed it... modern yet classic style storytelling.

:up:

Then there's the clone years which existed to get her out of the picture. Then the reboot era where she "died" which lasted (save for like 2 issues with the stalker) through the first few years of JMS's run.

Also note that if you're a Spidey "Ditko and Lee purist", there was no MJ.

It's funny to me that everybody goes on about the anti-marriage sentiment is a JQ invention, when clearly, the entire point of the Clone Saga, when they were only married for 8 years (our time), was to make Spider-Man single again.

Marvel Comics Inc. has had an agenda for 12 years... possibly longer.

hahahaha... let's all blame JQ because it's "easy".... hahahahahaha

"And no Mary Jane."

So yeah, I have to agree that you are just looking for things not to like.

Maybe I should have said "No marriage".

And yea, that's a fact in the book. It is a pivitol part of the Spider-Man universe now. No one has to "look for it", so I really don't know what you're on about. :whatever:

I'm not disagreeing with you... I could care less about your opinions on Spider-Man... they are no more valid than mine...

However, with every ASM review thread since BND, you have made an appearance with the same comments... to the point that they are tiring... you are still entitled to have said "same" opinions, just like I have every right to make comments on said "same" opinions, and just like you have every right to comment about my comments...

Having said that, there's no need for name calling.

So stop with the names or I'll tell your Mom. :cmad:

Just put me on Ignore, then you won't have to see my comments. Problem solved.

Aloha,
I said to myself I wasn't going to respond but here I am so here it goes.If you haven't already, you should check out Swing Shift The Directors Cut. Not the story but the back up story by Breevort. He gives his notes to the writers and artists regarding where he thinks Amazing Spider-Man should go from here on out. Now, I've checked out your link and understand where you are coming from. Here's my point. If you HATE OMD and the entire premise of it, then you are not going to like anything within BND. So when you go to the store and pick up any issues of Amazing Spider-Man, you have already made the decision before you open the first page that you are not going to like what you are reading.Therefore, you are looking for things not to like.We get it.OMD has come and gone. BND is here and even if Joe Q,Steve Wacker & Tom Breevort ALL left Marvel TODAY, BND would still be in place for the forseeable future. There is not going to be a reboot of the reboot.Life goes on-so should you.Drink some beers and move on.This is it.
Spidey rules

Not true. I gave a review of the first BND and said that I thought it wasn't that bad. I have read plenty of horrible Spidey stories and have read even more OUTSTANDING ones. And plenty of in-betweeners. I can be objective. The marriage is gone, I know it will be back.

But to be fair, I will not post anymore with just the comment of "This sucks". Yes, I can see where that would be tiring.

I will try and give a little more in-depth review to the story if I read them. :o :yay:

Just put me on Ignore, then you won't have to see my comments. Problem solved.

That's too easy...

Be a grown-up and please stop with the name calling.

Thanks.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"