Comics Astonishing X-Men #14 preview

americanguy96 said:
I don't see Kitty destroying the Breakworld or whatever, no offense to her, b/c she is great, but what is she going to do? Is she going to phase the planet into the sun? That would be cool, but Kitty is no Phoenix.

I keep getting this feeling that since Breakworld is in another dimension type deal it's like the Micronauts. IE, the entire reality fits inside a marble or something and Ord either automatically grows or uses a device to when coming out. And then, Kitty will just step on it or something.

Dunno, just this weird feeling I've had ever since first reading about it.

Ms. Nova is gonna destroy the breakworld. isnt that what she does best? destroy.

It's always the person you least expect...

Oh my god, Cypher!

Exploding Boy said:
Like it would be an accident?

Could be a reaction to Ord's actions (one of those fun "if you hadn't come here to stop it happening, it wouldn't of") but I just see it as being something underwhelming like that.

Manic said:
It's always the person you least expect...

Oh my god, Cypher!

"Guten tag! Er.... bonjour! Como estas? Konichiwa!"

BOOM!

"Uhh.... what just happened?"

Another thought: Maybe Colossus?

That would 1) justify the whole Piotr-coming-back-to-life thing, and 2) make Ord's mission to Earth a self-fulfilling prophecy. Y'know, I came to Earth to stop these X-Men from destroying my planet and ended up torturing this one, who got so ticked at me that he destroyed my planet.

No, I don't know how Colossus would destroy a planet either, but when you come down to it, I don't know how *any* of them would, so I figure that all balances...

I do think it would be very Whedonesque: Kitty and Piotr are finally happy, and then Piotr goes all dark and destroys a world on her...

rjb182 said:
Another thought: Maybe Colossus?

That would 1) justify the whole Piotr-coming-back-to-life thing, and 2) make Ord's mission to Earth a self-fulfilling prophecy. Y'know, I came to Earth to stop these X-Men from destroying my planet and ended up torturing this one, who got so ticked at me that he destroyed my planet.

No, I don't know how Colossus would destroy a planet either, but when you come down to it, I don't know how *any* of them would, so I figure that all balances...

I do think it would be very Whedonesque: Kitty and Piotr are finally happy, and then Piotr goes all dark and destroys a world on her...

I actually like yout theory:marv:

How is Colossus going to destroy Breakworld? :confused:

rjb182 said:
That sounds an awful lot like this other storyline I know :p

^ As I said, how are *any* of them going to destroy Breakworld?

Short of Phoenix, who's not in residence at the moment, could *any* of the main X-Men destoy a whole planet?

Who could-- Magneto, if he were powered? Magma? Maybe Storm if she fouled up its weather enough? But we're assuming it's a member of the Astonishing cast, aren't we?

Unless his power is seriously amped-up by Emma's tinkering, I doubt Cyke could do it. Emma herself sure couldn't. Logan? Beast? No way.

So I'm assuming there's some kind of plot device going on here that will allow an X-Man who normally couldn't to "destroy a world"... otherwise, how would they do it?

As to the similarities to "that other plotline"-- true, but I was thinking more than it sounds like every season ever of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. ;)

Would an extremely concentrated full power blast to the earths core destroy the breakworld....

a bit far fetched i guess

rjb182 said:
Beast? No way.
Why not? He destroyed the world in Morrison's "Here Comes Tomorrow" arc. And considering how much Whedon likes to throw back to Morrison's run, I wouldn't be surprised if Beast is destined to destroy Breakworld in the same way Sublime-Beast destroyed a future Earth.

Maybe-- I'll grant that Hank has the intellect to accomplish *anything*-- but any scenario involving his destroying a world would need either:

1) Sublime-like bad guy possession/control, which happens to ALL the X-Men with alarming regularity, and therefore I don't see him as any more likely than anyone else, "Here Comes Tomorrow" or not.

or...

2) Concerted application of his formidable intellect. And barring 1-- bad guy control-- there's just no way Hank's gonna do that on purpose to destroy a world.

*If* it was a deliberate nod to Morrison, then Beast may be more likely. But I don't get the sense that's where Whedon's going with this. I could be wrong. I just don't.

I have a distinctive hunch that Kitty is going to be responsible for the destruction of the Breakworld.

However the BEST choice would be Colossus, seeing as it was Ord who revived him. Imagine, his world destroyed by the one mutant he brought back to get rid of his problem...

Okay, so we've narrowed it down to...

Everyone but Wolverine. Crap.

Perhaps the Breakworld has some sort of machine that makes it inhabitable, like the rings of Polemachus and the machine that keeps them running, perhaps Colossus destroys said machine, killing everyone and destroyig the planet.

That's how he could do it, FieryBalrog

rjb182 said:

Short of Phoenix, who's not in residence at the moment, could *any* of the main X-Men destoy a whole planet?

Who could-- Magneto, if he were powered? Magma? Maybe Storm if she fouled up its weather enough? But we're assuming it's a member of the Astonishing cast, aren't we?

Unless his power is seriously amped-up by Emma's tinkering, I doubt Cyke could do it. Emma herself sure couldn't. Logan? Beast? No way.

So I'm assuming there's some kind of plot device going on here that will allow an X-Man who normally couldn't to "destroy a world"... otherwise, how would they do it?

As to the similarities to "that other plotline"-- true, but I was thinking more than it sounds like every season ever of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. ;)

Buffy already rehashed "that other plotline" with the Dark Willow saga.

Hell, a lot of the dynamics from Buffy are taken from X-men. Joss has admitted he modelled Buffy on Kitty.

rjb182 said:

Who says that they have to destroy it using their powers? They just knew it was a mutant who did it, now how.

^ Right. Ergo, I figure Colossus is as likely as anybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"