At least someone is doing something about gas prices

Senator Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat, said President George W. Bush should call oil company executives to the White House and tell them he'll support a new tax on their profits unless they lower prices.

YEAH.....LIKE THAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN ; BUSH IS THE PRIMARY REASON THIS IS HAPPENING TO BEGIN WITH. :rolleyes:

My question is, if anything IS done about it, will it stay that way after the elections or will it be business as usual?

Specter is fast becoming one of my favorite Senators. THWIP* is right, though. Part of the very problem lives in the White House.

jag

Yeah, it's just ONE person's fault that gas prices are so high alright - hilarious.

I live in Michigan and Levin is a joke, always has been.

BlackSymbiote said:
My question is, if anything IS done about it, will it stay that way after the elections or will it be business as usual?

Specter is more or less unbeatable in Senate. He does not seem to have any political aspirations outside of that. He is not up for re-election. He has nothing to gain by pandering for votes. I think he is sincere.

Specter is an evil man, but im with him on this.

Gas prices are high because Mr. Specter is questioning our President.

Its God's way of punishing commies.

KingOfDreams said:
I'm a Democrat and I even like Specter's move here.

These days, Specter seems to be more of a Democrat that most Democrats. He's called bullsh1t on so much stuff with this administration I'm amazed they haven't had him offed.

jag

jaguarr said:
These days, Specter seems to be more of a Democrat that most Democrats. He's called bullsh1t on so much stuff with this administration I'm amazed they haven't had him offed.

Like Paul Wellstone(Sp??)?

Milkman95 said:

From one Michigan-der to another:

You're wrong.

Milkman95 said:
Yeah, it's just ONE person's fault that gas prices are so high alright - hilarious.

How so?:confused:

Darthphere said:
Hes in the Senate right? EEEEEEEVIL!
Or perhaps that his name is similar to the criminal group in James Bond...SPECTRE.

I've never been a fan of the 'tax a business to punish it' mode of thinking. Businesses don't pay taxes, they pass them on to consumers.

Excellent point, Daisy. It's the reason we need to follow the Venezuelan model and make gas a public utility so it's super cheap. I'm not sure how serious I am.

^I'm operating under the assumption that he's assumed a Stephen Colbert-like character. It makes me laugh.

Daisy said:
I've never been a fan of the 'tax a business to punish it' mode of thinking. Businesses don't pay taxes, they pass them on to consumers.

Reaganomics is a joke. Businesses don't pay taxes, they pocket the extra money while keeping prices the same. At any rate, the oil industry certainly isn't passing its record high profits onto the consumer right now.

Gas prices aren't going anywhere but up. This is just like when people complained taxes on bush 1 in early 90s. Then Clinton came in, and (no) surprise, taxes were still there and just as high. In fact, from what i hear (and i live around oil people), don't expect things to really level off until it gets to $4.00 to $4.50...

This is a scenario where "the rich get rich, the poor get poorer" slogan seriously applies. Folks w/middlelower to lower incomes aren't going to be afforded the same luxuries anymore. There are big changes afoot in our economic culture and we'll see more and more of that in the next few years.

And a recent report shows that hybrids are no where close to saving people ANY money right now, so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"