At the Movies with Kane and BN

yHDerpi.jpeg

Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar

Imagine if Kristen Wiig and Will Farrel's production company made the SNL version of Despicable Me meets Spongebob. It's a wild and surreal action comedy that also becomes a musical at times and it actually kinda works. I do like Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo as two middle age weirdos who are best friends and how they stumble into a silly Austin Powers spy plot. They clearly put some major money into this and it shows with all the elaborate sets and locations. That being said, the humor is spotty and while there are some good bits, the failed bits drag the movie down. Overall, it's exactly the kind of movie that will probably get a cult following in the years to come despite it not being that great.
3/5

kejGwjs.jpeg

La Llorona

A really well done horror drama that takes the folklore of La Llorona and insert it into a sociopolitical landscape. You'll probably be disappointed if you're expecting a typical horror movie out of this, it's more a message film that deals with the aftermath of the Guatemalan civil war and the genocide that happened. The director Jayro Bustamante does a great job building up tension pretty subtly as stuff in the family's home start to unravel. Once María Mercedes Coroy's character comes into play it ramps up and even though you obviously know where its heading, it was thrilling to see how the story resolves. My only complaints might be that it could've used a bit more of that ending throughout the movie. Overall, it's a very well made horror drama that has something very to say.
3.5/5

msuWpJI.jpeg

Mangrove

An electric British courtroom drama about the Mangrove Nine directed by Steve McQueen. It's also an insight into the harassment by the British police to local minority owners and the community as a whole. The performances are utterly phenomenal especially with Shaun Parkes, Rochenda Sandall, and Malachi Kirby. The pacing was really well done and once it gets to the courtroom section of the movie, it becomes one long action set piece in a sense. It goes without saying that this movie makes for an interesting companion piece with The Trial of the Chicago Seven as both are so similar in structure even down to the time period. Overall, a must see.
4/5

eSxeHaQ.jpeg

Greed

Pretty messy. I feel like they wanted to make a straight satire of a morally clueless billionaire or just a straight comedy... but they also wanted make a heart felt message movie about the exploitation in the fashion industry in 3rd world countries and they couldn't decide on one or the other. When it is a comedy, I suppose some parts were enjoyable even though it's hard to feel for any character who's rich especially with Steve Coogan. The parts where they do bring in the serious drama is a bit spotty and they just don't mesh well in tone with the comedy. Overall, it could've been something worth seeing if they had gone with a more focused approach.
2/5

Lv8VGLL.jpg

Around Round

A well put together dramady that puts alcoholism into perspective among four friends who are suffering from a midlife crisis that stars Mads Mikkelsen. In some ways it feels like the Danish version of The Way Back crossed with Dead Poets Society, but with some comedic flair. Even when they start to do some comedic hi-jinks it eventually comes down to reality. The director Thomas Vinterberg does solid job capturing the somber mood, but also have moments where it flashes. The ending of this will live on without context to the rest of the movie for the rest of time, it's one hell of a way to end your movie that you wont forget. Overall, it's pretty enjoyable.
3.5/5

gtZK2ps.jpeg

Nomadland

Chloé Zhao did it again. This was a phenomenal portrait of the American life as a nomad in today's society. They were able to capture moments of realism to the point where you feel like you're watching a documentary. It may not be for everyone especially those who are not used to a slow and steady pace like this. It's very much similar to her last film The Rider where it's a realistic character piece of someone's journey through life. They do a great job showcasing the different kinds of people living out on their own with completely different circumstances. It might be Frances McDormand's best film and that is saying a lot considering she's already won two Oscars. Overall, it's without question of the best films of the year.
4.5/5

Reactions: NDX
4HIOLOH.jpeg

The 40-Year-Old Version

Damn near perfection. The heavy Spike Lee influence aside, this is such well executed experiment that takes a single voice (in this case Radha Blank) and transplant it on to the screen with ease with little to no lossless. It's a hilarious and witty yet introspective look inside of a black female playwright from NY dealing with her midlife crisis. I really dug the creative direction the movie takes even with the black and white which helps make the movie feel more timeless. The supporting cast is the secret sauce of the movie and the social commentary it makes on gentrification, racial bias, and ageism is really well done. Overall, it's a can't miss.
4.5/5

DUUqtkt.jpg

I Care a Lot

Gone Girl 2: Amy Goes Corporate. It's a wonderfully slick black comedy crime thriller that pits a ruthless con woman with the mob. I loved that I went in knowing nothing and becoming extremely surprise and entertained by every move this movie takes. It takes some inspirations from Steven Soderbergh with the structure and look of the movie and how they were able to describe their system of corruption with assisted living. Rosamund Pike is truly going for it and is chewing scenery in every scene. The rest of the cast is really solid and the synth score is truly amazing. While there is a clear message they wanted to tell, they dress it up as a entertaining popcorn film. Overall, this was a fun and stylish crime film that has to be seen.
4/5

fJyIP9Y.jpeg

Minari

Incredibly moving and masterfully well made. It's a realistic portrayal of the immigrate experience and life of a first generation household struggling to get by in the midwest. It's also a well told story of cultural assimilation and how differences can always look odd when you are on the other side of the fence. I absolutely love how on a filmmaking level they made it look so effortless and yet you see all the hard work as put into the story to make it stand out. Great performances by Steven Yeun & Han Ye-ri, and Will Patton, but also the movie would not work as well if it weren't for Alan Kim who plays the son and the grandma played by Youn Yuh-jung... they were without question the heart of the movie. My only small complaint would probably be the daughter played by Noel Kate Cho who doesn't get a whole lot of story development by comparison. Also I must say the music is phenomenal and the cinematography is soothing. Overall, it's everything I thought this movie was gonna be and more. It's a movie that you will wholeheartedly relate to if you are a first gen family in America trying to start a new life.
5/5

The Kid Detective

''I've solved over 100 mysteries!''

KID-POSTER-10-horizontal.jpg

This kinda reminded me of ''The Long Goodbye'' via Wes Anderson. Adam Brody is so damn likable. He plays a once celebrated kid detective, now in his 30s, self indulging and hilarious. I suggest not seeing any trailers for this and go in blind, the way the writer director slowly and very funny takes the viewer into a much darker setting is great. Definitely worth the rental price. A very solid 8.

DUUqtkt.jpg

I Care a Lot

Gone Girl 2: Amy Goes Corporate. It's a wonderfully slick black comedy crime thriller that pits a ruthless con woman with the mob. I loved that I went in knowing nothing and becoming extremely surprise and entertained by every move this movie takes. It takes some inspirations from Steven Soderbergh with the structure and look of the movie and how they were able to describe their system of corruption with assisted living. Rosamund Pike is truly going for it and is chewing scenery in every scene. The rest of the cast is really solid and the synth score is truly amazing. While there is a clear message they wanted to tell, they dress it up as a entertaining popcorn film. Overall, this was a fun and stylish crime film that has to be seen.
4/5

Rosamund Pike is indeed playing Amy vol 2. She plays that character so great, but for me it just didn't work. Felt like I was seeing a recycled performance by her, which sounds weird but feels kinda cheap to me. We've all seen this performance in a much better flick, so I think it would've been great with another actress in the lead. I know it sounds odd after she once again knocks it out of the park here, but after rewatching 'Swallow', Haley Bennett would've been aces here. Hell, even the great Amy Adams here with this type of material would've been oscar worthy no joke. Still, a must watch.

Rosamund Pike is indeed playing Amy vol 2. She plays that character so great, but for me it just didn't work. Felt like I was seeing a recycled performance by her, which sounds weird but feels kinda cheap to me. We've all seen this performance in a much better flick, so I think it would've been great with another actress in the lead. I know it sounds odd after she once again knocks it out of the park here, but after rewatching 'Swallow', Haley Bennett would've been aces here. Hell, even the great Amy Adams here with this type of material would've been oscar worthy no joke. Still, a must watch.

I dunno, I think it worked even if she's playing her character again in a lesser movie. Plus the dynamic of her being oldler and being with Eiza González works better than having Haley Bennett and I don't think I can see Amy Adams being this ruthless and cutthroat.

ryGl1Kz.jpeg

Monster Hunter

They really turned that Marines ad where some guy fights off a dragon into a real movie. It's straight up a cliche video game movie that was tailored made for gamers who normally don't give a **** about watching movies except for big budget blockbusters. The first hour of this is a lot of predictable territory from Paul WS Anderson where it's Milla Jovovich doing yet another ADD fueled Resident Evil movie only this time she's hanging out with Tony Jaa. There's also a lot of bad dialogue that you'd hear in a 90s video game. It cribs from a lot of other movies and shows that uses the same idea... anything from Dune to Tremors to Mad Max Fury Road to especially Land of the Lost. They also straight up rip off a scene from The Mist which was kinda hilarious. Once they were able to defeat one of the monsters, the movie takes a strange turn into anime territory and from there on it kinda works. The last 30 minutes of this had all the tools of making a fun and dumb movie, but it never quite gets there. It was too little too late when it gets to the final minutes where they try to set up for a sequel with Ron Perlman. Overall, aside from a few surprises near the end, it's exactly the boring video game movie I thought this was gonna be.
1.5/5

ryGl1Kz.jpeg

Monster Hunter

They really turned that Marines ad where some guy fights off a dragon into a real movie. It's straight up a cliche video game movie that was tailored made for gamers who normally don't give a **** about watching movies except for big budget blockbusters. The first hour of this is a lot of predictable territory from Paul WS Anderson where it's Milla Jovovich doing yet another ADD fueled Resident Evil movie only this time she's hanging out with Tony Jaa. There's also a lot of bad dialogue that you'd hear in a 90s video game. It cribs from a lot of other movies and shows that uses the same idea... anything from Dune to Tremors to Mad Max Fury Road to especially Land of the Lost. They also straight up rip off a scene from The Mist which was kinda hilarious. Once they were able to defeat one of the monsters, the movie takes a strange turn into anime territory and from there on it kinda works. The last 30 minutes of this had all the tools of making a fun and dumb movie, but it never quite gets there. It was too little too late when it gets to the final minutes where they try to set up for a sequel with Ron Perlman. Overall, aside from a few surprises near the end, it's exactly the boring video game movie I thought this was gonna be.
1.5/5

I watched it last week and was disappointed too. It didn't even manage to dip into ''so bad it's good'' territory and was lacking the PWSA schlock I was looking for.

One thing I did laugh at was
when they defeated Rathalos at the end, it blew up from the inside like a machine. No guts or blood :funny:

I watched it last week and was disappointed too. It didn't even managed to dip into ''so bad it's good'' territory and was lacking the PWSA schlock I was looking for.

One thing I did laugh at was
when they defeated Rathalos at the end, it blew up from the inside like a machine. No guts or blood :funny:

The moment when someone was impaled by a monster and there was no blood or gore, I knew this sh** was PG-13.

And...
The anime cat should've been the damn lead. It would've made the movie so much fun to watch.

I dunno, I think it worked even if she's playing her character again in a lesser movie. Plus the dynamic of her being oldler and being with Eiza González works better than having Haley Bennett and I don't think I can see Amy Adams being this ruthless and cutthroat.

Nope. Amy Adams briefly showed in Nocturnal Animals that she can play ice cold B. Amy Adams playing a great villain role would be equivalent to when audiences first saw Henry Fonda in Once Upon A Time in The West. Bald @C. Lee can back me up on this, as he was there in the theater.

Nope. Amy Adams briefly showed in Nocturnal Animals that she can play ice cold B. Amy Adams playing a great villain role would be equivalent to when audiences first saw Henry Fonda in Once Upon A Time in The West. Bald @C. Lee can back me up on this, as he was there in the theater.

tenor.gif

It might be controversial to say but Amy Adams was the weak part in Nocturnal Animals and I usually like Amy Adams in stuff... even crazy Hillbilly sh**.

DgbtR41.jpeg

All My Life

I get this is a based on a true story, but this was probably too sentimental for its own good even by romcom standards. It starts off pretty well when Jessica Rothe and Harry Shum Jr. meet and how they get along without any problem until the tragedy part gets introduced. There's a good portion of the movie where it runs through all the romcom cliches including the supporting cast who feel like they were in a satire of a romcom. What keeps the movie going is the solid chemistry between Jessica Rothe and Harry Shum Jr who in a way elevate the material. That being said the conflict they have in here feels so forced and unnatural to the situation they face. And they don't give enough backstory of Harry Shum Jr's character who probably needs it the most. Overall, aside from the performances of the main two leads, the movie is overly simple for a romcom with a plot that has been overused in the last 10 years.
2/5

ERfcQCq.jpeg

Summerland

Pretty solid for the most part. It's a British war period drama that takes a look inside of the refugee situation from London during WWII. It centers on Gemma Arterton who lives alone and is forced to take care of a kid and you follow her secrets unravel. In many ways, it's very much a comfort British film in the sense that it checks all the marks that a oscar bait movie like this would make. It doesn't do anything more than its needed and it's mostly fine despite some of the choices and reveals that happen towards the end. I really liked Gemma Arterton in here who really gets to show off her range and Gugu Mbatha-Raw is solid as always. Who surprise me the most is the little girl in here played by Dixie Egerickx and she out acts the other kid by several miles. Overall, it's mostly average but decent.
3/5

zw4ltQ8.jpg

Tom and Jerry

It's honestly incredible they were able to capture the trend of the late 90s/2000s kids movies where nothing was planned until they had to shoot the movie and all they came up with is "let's make it all hip hop and stereotypes". It doesn't surprise me they got Tim Story to direct this and every move this movie makes feels so lazy and fraught to the point of almost parody. You almost can't look away at how insane this movie and idea really is and how while it's a Tom and Jerry movie, they feel almost like sideplots to the human characters in the movie. It's mostly centered on Chloe Grace Moretz's character where she butt heads with Tom and Jerry from time to time and getting into hi-kinks. There's also other actors in here like Michael Pena & Ken Jeong who are doing some bad comedy routine shtick. I will say they do an okay job putting in the other Tom and Jerry side characters like Spike and Butch as well as Toodles. Overall, it's an empty movie so bad you kinda can't hate on it. It's exactly the kind of kids movie that probably gets played while you're waiting for your appointment at a clinic or whatever.
1/5

QMqudvP.jpeg

Mogul Mowgli

An incredible (almost semi-autobiographical) psychological drama that looks deep into an up-and-coming British Pakistani rapper who is afflicted with an autoimmune disease. It has a phenomenal performance by Riz Ahmed and Alyy Khan who plays the father in this. While not everything worked, I really like how ambitious this move was in using interesting and dream-like sequences as the style of the movie. I also like how the autoimmune disease plot has another purpose in the story and how Riz Ahmed's character's identity is always in question and is constantly clashing between family and career. Overall, definitely worth seeing and I look forward to seeing what Bassam Tariq (who directed this) does next.
4/5

k2tOIuX.jpg

The Mauritanian

It's a mostly really well-made and well-written legal drama about a Guantanamo Bay prisoner who's based on a real person who finally gets a trial. Unlike a lot of these movies that center on Gitmo, this centers on the person who was kidnapped, tortured, and put in the system by the US government and you follow his journey throughout it. Both Tahar Rahim and Jodi Foster are incredible in it and whenever it's just those two on-screen, the movie really works and it elevates the movie. There are some in the supporting cast that did a decent job like Shailene Woodley and Zachary Levi but I feel like the Benedict Cumberbatch character (let alone his Foghorn Leghorn accent) was entirely unimportant to the main story. It's the only thing that drags the movie down and you kinda feel it was inserted just to make the audience feel comfortable about the subject matter. Overall, I really dug it despite a few things.
3.5/5

Rolling Thunder (1977)

kswt3LE.jpg

Written by Paul Schrader.

Goddamn. I don't know why it took me this long to finally see this, it has been on my watchlist forever. I can now see why Quentin Tarantino loves this so much and how it influenced him. He saw this in every theater growing up and now plays it religiously in his cinema. POW vet comes home, life at home isn't the same anymore, wife found a new lover and his son doesn't remember him, till one day certain type of men break into his home...Tommy Lee Jones lookin' so damn young here, like goddamn, he was a gorgeous mf! This is a ''Mans Man'' type flick.

Uz4jDP3.jpg

The Night Clerk

Pretty subpar if not below average. It's essentially a thriller that tries to be Rear Window meets Psycho for the modern day, but it fails on almost every level on delivering the movie it thinks it wants to be. Tye Sheridan plays a night clerk who has aspergers who finds himself as a suspect in a murder. It plays into some of the stereotypes of people with aspergers which was unfortunate... even though you do see Tye Sheridan trying in this. There's a lot of soap opera moments that drags a lot of the plot elements which brings the movie down. The only bright spot about this movie is Ana de Armas who is way overqualified to be in a movie like this. She's the only part that makes you keeps you watching. Overall, it's a dud of a thriller that you kinda know where its heading.
1.5/5

S4XBiAo.jpg

Land

Plot summary: Robin Wright books one of those expensive/authentic Airbnbs with no insurance policy and she forgot to check the 10 day forecast. It's pretty much a survival drama in the wilderness in which it's actually a portrait of a woman trying to get past her grief and loss. It's unfortunate that it kinda shares some similarities with Nomanland because this feels like the lesser movie between the two. That being said, I'll say there's some beautiful cinematography of the landscapes and there's some interesting directing work by Robin Wright that keeps you interested. While the story doesn't really give you anything new, there's enough to keep you going if you enjoy calming meditation filmmaking. Overall, it's just above average but it could've been so much better.
3/5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"